Stormers v Ulster Saturday March 30th 5:15pm Viaplay Sports

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Stormers v Ulster Saturday March 30th 5:15pm Viaplay Sports

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Looking at the remaining fixtures, incredibly interesting.

Cardiff, Benetton and Leinster at home.
Scaaalets and Turnips away.
Assuming we beat Cardiff, Benetton and Scarlets, ( min 14 points required imo) We need at least 2 lbps min to finish top 8 given the other fixtures which throw up teams competing directly. For us that's mainly Munster Benetton and Cardiff ( just).
My maths is usually shyte, but just a gut given the complexity of the remaining rounds and so many teams below 4 in with a fighting chance of top 8, especially if they go on a run like Munster last year. A playoff probably means either Aviva or SA...
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Neill_M wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:29 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:14 pm
shamalicious wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:05 pm I'm surprised at the nonchalance about SK potentially leaving. It means losing 2 looseheads if EOS is also leaving as reported.

That leaves us with Big Licence who probably only has a couple of seasons left in him and Callum Reid who has been injured. Few lads in the Academy but they'll need a few years to develop.
Sham, agreed, but SK has been little of what we need. And
Reids not the answer.
That's why I said money from SK well invested. A quality LH who is not going to be called up.
SK afaik has shown little or no leadership despite being a double RWC Bok and Stormers Cap'n.
All this chat re SK leaving and reinvesting the cash to improve other parts of the squad. This assumes that Ulster are actually the ones paying him. I have read on Facebook that NIQ players in Ireland are paid direct by the IRFU from a separate pot.
True but it also assumes FIRFU are serious in supporting us rebuilding sensibly, as much of our revenue- gate receipts etc goes back to them and is redistributed around the Provinces. For £500k per year, we can get at least a decent LH and non international, EPCR standard10, which is what we need.
We seemingly have nothing of either in the current academy/ squad (AW aside) who aren't a few years off at least, if at all, unless there's another Wilson waiting to bolt? Is James Humphreys the new PJ?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:37 pm
shamalicious wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:05 pm I'm surprised at the nonchalance about SK potentially leaving. It means losing 2 looseheads if EOS is also leaving as reported.

That leaves us with Big Licence who probably only has a couple of seasons left in him and Callum Reid who has been injured. Few lads in the Academy but they'll need a few years to develop.
Reids not the answer.
That's why I said money from SK well invested. A quality LH who is not going to be called up.
SK afaik has shown little or no leadership despite being a double RWC Bok and Stormers Cap'n.
All this chat re SK leaving and reinvesting the cash to improve other parts of the squad. This assumes that Ulster are actually the ones paying him. I have read on Facebook that NIQ players in Ireland are paid direct by the IRFU from a separate pot.
True but it also assumes FIRFU are serious in supporting us rebuilding sensibly, as much of our revenue- gate receipts etc goes back to them and is redistributed around the Provinces. For £500k per year, we can get at least a decent LH and non international, EPCR standard10, which is what we need.
We seemingly have nothing of either in the current academy/ squad (AW aside) who aren't a few years off at least, if at all, unless there's another Wilson waiting to bolt? Is James Humphreys the new PJ?
Kitshoff on more than £500k apparently. I heard £2 Million over the 3 years.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

:shock: :shock: holy f#ck, what a waste... I'll take 3 quality non internationals then... £670k pa......
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

SK arrived and our scrum didn’t significantly change, we had McFarland announce Spicey Plum was giving scrum input.
Foggy has done a couple of weeks and apart from TOT being put up his own brenan via sharks we looked a lot better against Stormers who had forced more scrum penalties this season than any other team. Especially when we had the replacement front row union.

TOT switched and Wilson who both offer more in the loose anyway going forward please.
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Sheridan is not a six like Henderson he is second row who can play six if necessary . Whereas T Beirne is a six who can play second row and does for Ireland due to the strength of the Irish back row .

Sheridan will be in the second row when Henderson retires or goes abroad for the money because His International Days are over. by which time Ulster could have a reasonable back row of 2 Wards And McCann.

Ulster at the moment need a 10 only time will tell if Doak is the answer I recognise that some here have an automatic dislike of him because of his surname which they associate with a much practiced game by many different sides but they like to refer to as DOAK ball -- which is an attempt to get out of defence by a BOX kick. A reasonable option which requires perfect execution -- too Telegraphed it is easily defended -- too long it provides opposition with free ball in space -- too short it is a pointless lottery.

i considered Doak did rather well on Saturday given the fact that he was initially target of the day for a physical back row .
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
richardt84
Novice

Post by richardt84 »

Interesting review from Murray Kinsella on Doak’s performance against the Stormers, including a reference to Ulster potentially looking at Jack Murphy.

https://www.the42.ie/nathan-doak-out-ha ... 9-Apr2024/

Article is currently behind a paywall but paywall wasn’t active on first read.
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

rumncoke wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:04 pm Sheridan is not a six like Henderson he is second row who can play six if necessary . Whereas T Beirne is a six who can play second row and does for Ireland due to the strength of the Irish back row .

Sheridan will be in the second row when Henderson retires or goes abroad for the money because His International Days are over. by which time Ulster could have a reasonable back row of 2 Wards And McCann.

Ulster at the moment need a 10 only time will tell if Doak is the answer I recognise that some here have an automatic dislike of him because of his surname which they associate with a much practiced game by many different sides but they like to refer to as DOAK ball -- which is an attempt to get out of defence by a BOX kick. A reasonable option which requires perfect execution -- too Telegraphed it is easily defended -- too long it provides opposition with free ball in space -- too short it is a pointless lottery.

i considered Doak did rather well on Saturday given the fact that he was initially target of the day for a physical back row .
2 Wards? Zac Ward nowhere near the squad currently.
ljsulster
Novice

Post by ljsulster »

Folks, we will get Europe and we will get a home QF trust me
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

ljsulster wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:31 pm Folks, we will get Europe and we will get a home QF trust me
Yeah, we’ve Europe this week….
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Neill_M wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:40 pm
CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:37 pm

Reids not the answer.
Kitshoff on more than £500k apparently. I heard £2 Million over the 3 years.
Correct Neill. The Stormers offer is 400k per season, which is what they offered Kitschoff to stay originally, the player is happy to stay here, not going to move for a pay cut.... so any deal with Stormers would mean Ulster would have to pay circa 267k per season for a player no longer on their books to top his salary.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Kitshoff going in agreement with UR- Confirmed by Irish Times.....
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

As long as Ulster aren’t paying a penny of his wages next season. He hasn’t been that much better than Warwick to be honest. Certainly not in the scrum, he has a high penalty count, don’t think he’s won a turnover yet and Danny Care made a complete fool out of him by running past him to score a try in Europe.

In general, he has been a poor signing, given his wages.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Lads I know we're a bit of a joke but there is no chance whatsoever we will be paying a cent of his wages if he's playing for the Stormers next season.

We're bad but we're not that bad ffs.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

A few seasons ago, he was the best loose head in the world. Unreal carrier and jackal king at the breakdown. He looks a bit out of shape now tbh. If we can reinvest then great. If it's just to stay afloat then we are fcuked.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?