AIL Energia Leage Rugby/Ulster League

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

Bloomfeld
Novice

Re: AIL Energia Leage Rugby/Ulster League

Post by Bloomfeld »

Great to read about the importance of youth rugby sections needing investment from clubs if the adult sections aren't going to continue to decline. The landscape is so different now. Lots of other hobbies pastimes and interests out there to keep kids away from rugby. Not coz it's not of interest but because they don't know about it. The model that seems to work is where clubs are actively pursuing players in schools but it has to be a quality programme on offer that showcases the rugby values off the pitch to parents as well and that is what will hook kids and parents into our wonderful game. Also rugby has too small a slice of the sports offerings cake for Clubs to not be partnering with other Clubs to achieve viable playing numbers. I see this happening at Ards Bangor Randalstown Ballynahinch to name but a few and this wider mid term thinking is the way to go. But it is now a fact of life that you have to invest in youth coaches outreach coaches etc for it to work. Noone can expect volunteers to do what is pretty much a full time job now in these difficult economic times so sponsorships and partnerships with local firms that should be directly ring fenced for youth must be a strategic priority for Clubs that want to grow Youth sections and not rely on word of mouth or custom and practice to bring them new players.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Thanks for the first post, Bloom. It all comes down to money, doesn't it! By that I mean both the cash being available and people being willing to spend it in this way.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

You wonder if injury risk - brain injury in particular - is a factor as well...

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Bigfacthunt
Novice

Post by Bigfacthunt »

Big weekend coming up for a few Ulster clubs, obviously.

Anyone know, including Ulster, what happens to the academy players club allocation next season should Queens be relegated from 1B to 2A?
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

I'm just speculating but can see QUB getting special dispensation to keep them because they "partnered" with UR, but this is purely my guess.

Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
chunky
Novice

Post by chunky »

Rules on eligibility -

(i) Subject to compliance with the provisions of this regulation 9.14.1, clubs in Division 1A and 1B may select a maximum of six Provincially Contracted Players (excluding Development and Academy players) in its panel of players for an All Ireland League or Cup match, only three of whom may be a forward.

(ii) To be eligible for a Club's final four matches in the regular season of the League competition those selected Contracted Players shall have started and played a minimum of the first half of three All Ireland League matches in that League season.

(iii) To be eligible for the League play-off matches between clubs in Division 1A and 1B those selected Contracted Players shall have started and played a minimum of the first half of four All Ireland League matches during that season.

(iv) Provincially Contracted Players are not permitted to play in the League play-off matches between clubs in Division 1B and 2A

(v) IRFU Nationally Contracted Players may only play in rounds 1 to 14 of Division 1A and 1B of the League in exceptional circumstances and then only with the approval of the National Competitions Committee.

(vi) In the event of an IRFU Nationally Contracted Player being granted permission to play in a League or Cup match then only five Provincially Contracted Players may play for that club.

(vii) IRFU Foreign Contracted Players may not play in the All Ireland League.

(viii) Players deemed as Development Players by the IRFU may only play in Divisions 1A-2B of the League. They cannot play in Division 2C

(ix) No more than two such Development players can be listed in any AIL match day squad in Division 2A or 2B.

(x) Once a Development player has made either 6 starts or 10 appearances (including starts) for their provincial team in a season, they will no longer be eligible to play for a Division 2A or 2B club in that season.

(xi) No Development player may play in the promotion/ relegation matches between clubs in Division 2B and 2C

(xii) Academy contracted players may play in the League and Cup without restriction

(xiii) Nationally or Provincially contracted players may not play in the Bateman Cup if a Division 1 club is drawn against a Division 2 club.

(xiv) The release of any Contracted Players is at the discretion of each Branch Provincial Director of Coaching.
No restriction on Academy lads playing in 2A.

Wilson being upgraded to Development may be moved to a 1A/1B club, but the rest will probably stay where they are.
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

Wilson, McLaughlin and Humphreys all development and likely to move on to other clubs for next season.

Nothing will change with Queens and the number of academy players. The idea of the partnership is based on player development being accelerated by them playing on the same side regularly, apparently there is academic evidence from academies in other sports to support it. They will have to reduce their number of non student players.

Should be a good crowd at the Dub on Saturday.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Bigfacthunt wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:05 pm Definitely lots of untapped talent out there for sure!! We need as many Ulster clubs in good health and a club like CIYMS with great location and people involved will hopefully rouse itself from its current slumber and come back to higher echelons once more. Is john Andress still coaching next year? Heard he was potentially going to Carrick.
Carrick? That's worse than Wales... No idea tbh... I tend to ignore rumour mills
Exterminate all rational thought
Tighthead Prod
Novice

Post by Tighthead Prod »

RuPi wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:55 am Wilson, McLaughlin and Humphreys all development and likely to move on to other clubs for next season.

Nothing will change with Queens and the number of academy players. The idea of the partnership is based on player development being accelerated by them playing on the same side regularly, apparently there is academic evidence from academies in other sports to support it. They will have to reduce their number of non student players.

Should be a good crowd at the Dub on Saturday.
When did Humphreys get a Development Contract ?
http://www.thefru.co.uk Valiant for Truth Justice and the Ulster Way.
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

Getting one I believe.

Him and George Saunderson are the only Year 3 academy players. McNabney, Wilson and McLaughlin are all only Year 2 but have been moved to development contracts early.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

With the size of the squad, and low academy numbers, it makes sense to give out more development contracts.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bigfacthunt
Novice

Post by Bigfacthunt »

Queens deserved their win, haven’t seen Banbridge play for a few seasons now and they were not what I expected. Thought it would be a tough game for Queens today but they absolutely romped it with room to spare. Good to see Hugh at the game.
Columbo
Squire

Post by Columbo »

Yeah I was expecting a much closer game but QUB hosed them, they looked like they’ve come on a lot since I saw them earlier in the season and they looked awful. I was hoping to see Humphries but looks like he’d injured his wrist - but the little 10 Hunter had a stormer!

I saw Bryn Ward there, I was a bit concerned that he might be too small, and he’s certainly not very tall maybe 6’1”? But a big solid boy, really broad - those big carries for the 20s make more sense now!
..one more thing
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Columbo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:46 pm I was a bit concerned that he might be too small, and he’s certainly not very tall maybe 6’1”?
I know you're right, but I'm of a generation when 6'1" could never be described as 'not very tall'. :D
Blow in
Novice

Post by Blow in »

The Cork Con v Clontarf was a cracking game and a really high standard as was Lansdown v Terenure. The final at the aviva will be better than a lot of URC games.

The Stones v Queens Final on the 04 May should be a belter too.