Ulster v Zebre Friday November 25th 7.35pm UK Time BBC NI

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Zebre Friday November 25th 7.35pm UK Time BBC NI

Post by justinr73 »

You missed “Scotland’s, Scotland’s number 9, Scotland’s number 9”.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:00 pm Agree Jean, the regulars always come out for Heiny cups.

Stats from the game:

SUFTUMs: 2
Ulsterrr Ulsterrrrs: 0
UTIDs: 1
Everywhere we gos: 0.5
Are you Clancy in disguises: 1
Excuse me can I get past yous (to and from bar/traps): 73
You clearly missed my solos:
Gimme a U (correct version)
Gime a U (incorrectly spealt)
We want an Ulster try!
I want an Ulster Fry
A few Suftums
and a few Ulsterrr Ulsterrrs
The last two followed by "Join in when you know the words".
Absolutely dire atmosphere. :roll:

Even HWM was quiet - only one "We don't want to be winning at half-time", and one "I know who I blame".
At least his silence improved the atmosphere. :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:00 pm Agree Jean, the regulars always come out for Heiny cups.

Stats from the game:

We want an Ulster try!
I want an Ulster Fry
A few Suftums

Even HWM was quiet - only one "We don't want to be winning at half-time", and one "I know who I blame".
I didn't count the solos. A few of my own didn't land. I'll count them as an unconverted try. I wasn't too far left from you then. I had to explain the 'gimme a U chant' to the missus. Didn't land.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:05 am
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Stats from the game:

We want an Ulster try!
I want an Ulster Fry
A few Suftums

I didn't count the solos. A few of my own didn't land. I'll count them as an unconverted try. I wasn't too far left from you then. I had to explain the 'gimme a U chant' to the missus. Didn't land.
Someone to the left of me "borrowed" my "Gimme a U" chant, but forgot to add the extra "R R R R" for ULSTERRRRR!

AMATEURS! :roll:

It's also better being called when opposition have the ball to drown out any communication and otherwise distract them.
I'm not arguing -
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:58 pm
It's also better being called when opposition have the ball to drown out any communication and otherwise distract them.
Last few times I attended, there was nobody on the terrace shouting 'Ulster, Ulster, Ulster, ..." during opposition lineouts on or near the Aquinas 22. I feel like a couple of decades of work have been consigned to the history books.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:41 pm
Last few times I attended, there was nobody on the terrace shouting 'Ulster, Ulster, Ulster, ..." during opposition lineouts on or near the Aquinas 22. I feel like a couple of decades of work have been consigned to the history books.
For about 3 or 4 years we had good success with ULSTERRRR ("Gimme a U, Gimme an L etc etc . . . .") on oppo lineouts when they formed up and made "the call" with everyone in-situ.

We frequently drowned out the call, or at least made it less distinct and often they mucked up the sync between thrower and jumpers so we won a decent amount of opponents' lineouts.

No one calls lineouts like that anymore so it lost its effectiveness a 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm still in favour of any chanting when opposition are in our 22 just to try to lift the team, but too often the crowd goes quiet and become viewers rather than supporters.
I'm not arguing -
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:12 pm
For about 3 or 4 years we had good success with ULSTERRRR ("Gimme a U, Gimme an L etc etc . . . .") on oppo lineouts when they formed up and made "the call" with everyone in-situ.

We frequently drowned out the call, or at least made it less distinct and often they mucked up the sync between thrower and jumpers so we won a decent amount of opponents' lineouts.

No one calls lineouts like that anymore so it lost its effectiveness a 3 or 4 years ago.

I'm still in favour of any chanting when opposition are in our 22 just to try to lift the team, but too often the crowd goes quiet and become viewers rather than supporters.
Down our end we favoured "Ulster, Ulster, Ulster, ..." which, although lacking the comedic value of the ...rrrrrrrrrrr, created a more concentrated background noise. Yes, the whispered call (after Leicester's Bletchley Park shenanigans) made it less effective, but I like to think it was still useful to disrupt last minute changes. It also is bound to occasionally cause the hooker to think, "what the fck are those tossers at?" which may just decrease his concentration by 1%.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Someone should run on the pitch at every opposition lineout waving a fleg. Although keep pecker away and do not urinate.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BR wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:57 pm

Down our end we favoured "Ulster, Ulster, Ulster, ..." which, although lacking the comedic value of the ...rrrrrrrrrrr, created a more concentrated background noise. Yes, the whispered call (after Leicester's Bletchley Park shenanigans) made it less effective, but I like to think it was still useful to disrupt last minute changes. It also is bound to occasionally cause the hooker to think, "what the fck are those tossers at?" which may just decrease his concentration by 1%.
Why do we respect the kicker but not the thrower? :scratch:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

big mervyn wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:27 pm
BR wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:57 pm

Why do we respect the kicker but not the thrower? :scratch:
As forwards we know that anybody can chuck a ball straight down a gap, but it wouldn't be fair to upset the sensitivities of the girls kicking the ball at the posts.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

justinr73 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:56 am You missed “Scotland’s, Scotland’s number 9, Scotland’s number 9”.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/63811086
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

BR wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:01 am
As forwards we know that anybody can chuck a ball straight down a gap, but it wouldn't be fair to upset the sensitivities of the girls kicking the ball at the posts.
Oh "sensitivities", that's a big word for a forward >EW
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

BR wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:01 am As forwards we know that anybody can chuck a ball straight down a gap, but it wouldn't be fair to upset the sensitivities of the girls kicking the ball at the posts.
Every day's a school day. I never knew they were kicking the ball at the posts. :whistle:

In my day we tried to kick the ball between the posts (and over the horizontal bar thingy). :duck:

(I hope I haven't upset anyone's sensitivities by my pedantry!)

>EW
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
BR wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:01 am
Oh "sensitivities", that's a big word for a forward >EW
We need a forwards vs backs thread! Just a complete slog fest. Or maybe the forwards fingers are too fat to type replies fast enough.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

There was some knicker twisting on the back row of the Aviva during the Australia game over a couple of penalty kicks.

I couldn’t even see the kicker so the likelihood of anyone (God forbid) hearing us on the pitch was pretty remote.

It was the same guy getting upset who was singing ‘Come on you boys in green’…….