Referendum

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

In r Oot?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:50 pm

Let's get out of this farce
25%
Let's stick with it, it's not perfect, but....
75%

Total votes: 36

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Referendum

Post by BR »

Would the EU want Scotland? Given that the Scots played a key part in ensuring the failure of the Union during the last 300 years, those who hold ever greater political union as their goal of the European experiment may well prefer to steer well clear. They certainly would not allow Scotland to inherit the UK's terms and conditions.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

The criteria for joining the EU are well established and documented so it isn't a question if the EU would "want" Scotland, if they meet the criteria then why shouldn't they join?

If they are prepared to let in Montenegro as long as they meet the criteria, then why not Scotland?

Unless the EU come up with new criteria, like "No more than 5% of the population to have name beginning with Mac or Mc" and "countries that eat haggis and deep fried mars bars or drink whisky or irn bru are automatically excluded".
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I think Scotland will not find too many obstacles in their way, but that will be post Brexit, post Indie2 and after their own referendum to join.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Scotland will no doubt apply for membership of a failing EU only after the UK leaves and only if it is allowed to hold another referendum in which it then chooses ti leave....

That is a long way off and who know whether the UK will be a third world country by then or falling over themselves with international fre trade deals. ..

What could be interesting is today's call by Edna that a border poll might be on the cards. Everyone holds an Ace or two in this game the Republics is that all 26/27 members must agree to the UKs final agreement so what if they hold that agreement unless a border poll is given..
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cockatrice wrote:Scotland will no doubt apply for membership of a failing EU only after the UK leaves and only if it is allowed to hold another referendum in which it then chooses ti leave....

That is a long way off and who know whether the UK will be a third world country by then or falling over themselves with international fre trade deals. ..

What could be interesting is today's call by Edna that a border poll might be on the cards. Everyone holds an Ace or two in this game the Republics is that all 26/27 members must agree to the UKs final agreement so what if they hold that agreement unless a border poll is given..
Wise up Cockers. The Republic don't actually want us. They are more likely to block the deal unless there is a legally binding agreement not to have a border poll.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cockatrice wrote:Scotland will no doubt apply for membership of a failing EU only after the UK leaves and only if it is allowed to hold another referendum in which it then chooses ti leave....

Wise up Cockers. The Republic don't actually want us. They are more likely to block the deal unless there is a legally binding agreement not to have a border poll.
Correct.

Edna's a man under scrutiny and he's just posturing for domestic benefit and to distract from other issues.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

Correct.

Edna's a man under scrutiny and he's just posturing for domestic benefit and to distract from other issues.
Oh aye.....I know you're game biy. Trying to throw me off my stroke by agreeing with me.........
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:Oh aye.....I know you're game biy. Trying to throw me off my stroke by agreeing with me.........
Wouldn't do that ....... agreed wi you on the US Presidential thread and all I got in return was dog's abuse for it.

You're welcome!
I'm not arguing -
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Oh aye.....I know you're game biy. Trying to throw me off my stroke by agreeing with me.........
Wouldn't do that ....... agreed wi you on the US Presidential thread and all I got in return was dog's abuse for it.

You're welcome!
I like dogs
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

You're welcome!
I like dogs
Explains why you take out your abuse on me then.

Go get a cat.
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

You're welcome!
I like dogs
So do I. Save Hank!

https://www.change.org/p/belfast-save-h ... ef=Default

If we're going to euthanize based on looks I can think of better places to start
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

looks vicious - would have someone's hand off toot-sweet ........

.... Oops - already has! :shock:
I'm not arguing -
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Snipe Watson wrote:

Interested to know the evidence for your assertion about this, Snipe. Not necessarily saying you're wrong but wondering when they actually said anything on the subject, especially over the last few years.
Bo***cks to Brexit
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rocky wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:

Interested to know the evidence for your assertion about this, Snipe. Not necessarily saying you're wrong but wondering when they actually said anything on the subject, especially over the last few years.
Rocky, Snipe famously never provides evidence and that is a definite, no nay never, right up yer kilt, no nay never no more.

It is however a true fact that many Mexicanos want rid of big Edna.

Mind you despite the lack of evidence, I think it can go under "true fact that" from Snipe, that the Republic of this wee sceptic isle neither want nor can afford us.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

The Bel Tel have a poll about polls. Not very scientific, but it does suggest that there may be some appetite for one.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 97987.html

The secretarys of state and the DUP keep saying there is no evidence of a demand for a border poll but they don't seem too inclined to look for any.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall