Which Ulster players in Ireland team this six nations ?

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

MightyRearranger
Warrior

Re: Which Ulster players in Ireland team this six nations ?

Post by MightyRearranger »

breakdown wrote:Marshall has been too inconsistent this season to be considered to be number one scrum half, and Fitzpatrick hasnt played, so Bent will probably start tighthead
I'd agree that Marshall shouldn't be starting for Ireland, but I'd personally like to see him on the bench because I think he's possibly the best impact sub in the country. He makes his fair share of mistakes, but when he comes on he always seems to change the tempo of the game.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

MightyRearranger wrote:
breakdown wrote:Marshall has been too inconsistent this season to be considered to be number one scrum half, and Fitzpatrick hasnt played, so Bent will probably start tighthead
I'd agree that Marshall shouldn't be starting for Ireland, but I'd personally like to see him on the bench because I think he's possibly the best impact sub in the country. He makes his fair share of mistakes, but when he comes on he always seems to change the tempo of the game.
And since when did Ireland do anything radical like change a game plan or tempo of a game, Humphs was the last I remember when they would spring him from the bench when all was going down the tubes
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

I thought beagle stood his ground behind the worst scrum to wear green in a long time. Toner aka lurch was the most active forward in the first half, and he was tom kite. Kilcoyne was at best awol at worst responsible for the scrum reversing like an italian tank. And he is irelands great hope. Shoot me now. Court was unimpressive. Made a few tackles. Scrum seemed better when he came on. Did himself no favours. Andy T tried. Too hard. Can't remember him getting a straight pass all night. Paddy. Mmmm nervous at first. Settled down. Good positional kicking and the usual 1f tackle count. Seemed to still be carrying that knock.

Big negative rte commentators. Seriously. Fitzgerald praised like the second coming of ROG. Played like NOC on a bad day
Dura lex sed lex
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

pythagoras wrote:
Personally I think he needs to be given more time, he's really only been here about 5 minutes.
Far from home etc etc
Aye, but Ulsters not far enough.... Anyone but Ulster eh Pythagoras?..... Plus ca change..... >TWAK >flog
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Realistically, if all our guys were fit, we'd start:

Best
Ferris
Bowe

Bench: Gilroy, Henderson, Henry (sadly, despite being the best 7 in Ireland, I reckon it'll be POM.. Dicklin Kidders couldn't leave the B/Row without a Red..) DF
Maybe TC- altho I believe Killers' given DK enough to justify leaving out TC.

So that's Besty as a sole Ulster starter........

DK's made his mind up about PJ, PM, DC, AT, DT, LM etc... and none will ever feature until DK is binned....
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

CIMANFOREVER wrote:Dicklin Kidders couldn't leave the B/Row without a Red..)
Is that right?
Then how come there wasn't a Munster player in the back row for 4 out of 5 games last 6N?
It was

6 - Ferris
7 - O'Brien
8 - Heaslip

The exception being the welsh game when O'Mahony replaced O'Brien.

You need to have a look at yourself before accusing others of bias
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

pythagoras wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote:Dicklin Kidders couldn't leave the B/Row without a Red..)
Is that right?
Then how come there wasn't a Munster player in the back row for 4 out of 5 games last 6N?
It was

6 - Ferris
7 - O'Brien
8 - Heaslip

As with everything Kiddin, with Fez out, Margin calls R US..... Here, fishy fishy fishy....... ;) :red:
Course POM will start, regardless, as we're only comparing an international standard 7 against POM, instead of a world class 6. And Heaslip and SOB are undroppable..
so it'll be:

SOB 7
POM 6
Heaslip 8

Even though the better balance, arguably even than SOB, Fez and Heaslip, is:

SOB 6
Heaslip 8
Henry 7

But POM'll be GRANNNNDDDDD when he pulls his scowl, and grabs someone by the collar......... world class >appl
You must be so proud >TWAK
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

I think only starter against Wales will be Rory. Henderson might make the bench. Gilroy will miss out on team and bench.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Even Kidder can't leave out Henry, can he?????
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Jackie Brown wrote:Even Kidder can't leave out Henry, can he?????
Jackie, as an admirer of your work on mf, ;) I must admit you've shocked me... or is it thinly disguised irony re all things Declan Spleen? >you_rock
As I said, justifiable margin calls.... just watch im! I just have bad feeling...
Posters right, could just be Rors starting, with either/or Chad, Hendo, Gillers, DF or TC with scalfs....
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

pythagoras wrote:Is that right?
It was

6 - Ferris
7 - O'Brien
8 - Heaslip

In fairness, in no other country would we even be having this debate. Henry has been so far and away the best backrow in Ireland, on provincial form, this season that he should be one of the first names on the teamsheet. I'll never accuse Kidney of bias but I will accuse him of making poor selections. Given his history of poor selections, there is significant doubt about whether the nation's best (quasi-)openside flanker and form backrow might not make team. A few of us Ulster fans are wrong to call bias; we are not wrong to call poor selection or to point to previous poor selections for our beliefs that Henry may not making the starting XV.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
Neil F wrote:
pythagoras wrote:Is that right?
It was

6 - Ferris
7 - O'Brien
8 - Heaslip

In fairness, in no other country would we even be having this debate. Henry has been so far and away the best backrow in Ireland, on provincial form, this season that he should be one of the first names on the teamsheet. I'll never accuse Kidney of bias but I will accuse him of making poor selections. Given his history of poor selections, there is significant doubt about whether
the nation's best (quasi-)openside flanker and form backrow might not make team. A few of us Ulster fans are wrong to call bias; we are not wrong to call poor selection or to point to previous poor selections for our beliefs that Henry may not making the starting XV.
I have never agreed with a post on this forum more. If Chris Henry was in any other "Union" he would be a nailed on starter and probably touted as a Lion. The bad swede will probably not see it that way.
Well he's an openside so it's between him and Sean O'Brien for that position, right?

Has he played much at blindside?
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

For his province, he's played at 6 at least as much as O'Brien has at 7 for Leinster. Although I don't think the irony of the image of Henry lining out for Ireland at 6 and O'Brien at 7, at the same time, would be lost on too many... On current form and historical ability (and contingent on full fitness), the only call in the Ireland backrow should be about Ferris / O'Brien for 6/bench.
connachtfan
Novice

Post by connachtfan »

Our BR will be

6 O'Brien
7 Henry
8 Heaslip

I'd bet my house on it, my impression was Kidney was very impressed with Henry during the Autumn games. He mentioned it and even made him captain at one point didn't he?
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

pythagoras wrote:
Well he's an openside so it's between him and Sean O'Brien for that position, right?

Has he played much at blindside?
Why wouldn't you even consider playing SOB at 6, his original position, with CH 7, and JH 8, Pythagoras? SOB converted to 7 to accommodate all 3 of Fez, SOB and JH. CH's strength has been at 7; to me the call is play the strongest combination now currently available, with the best balance, and that means no POM:
SOB 6
CH 7
JH 8

I don't expect to see it..