Christmas Lunch Trade Secrets?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Christmas Lunch Trade Secrets?

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Only peasants decry the noble sprout, they have clearly only ever boiled the feck clean out of them. They should of course be steamed but still have crispness in them then allowed to luxuriate briefly in a sumptuous layer of the fat of your choice, goose in my case, and stirfried with some tasty lardons.

Really, I'd hate to be forced to eat the swill some of you people are boasting of serving :scratch: , good God, no wonder the bloody Empire fell apart. :roll:

On the boning & rolling, well, it's convenient and ok after a fashion, however it tends then to be a lucky dip which bits end up where. I have for the past few Christmas Days gone back to first principles, a turkey looking like a turkey ............... with a few ugly bits lopped off.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I make coleslaw with and extra sprouts. Goes real well with the Turkey'n'Ham salad but you'll need to leave the windows on the latch.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

I got some Beef dripping from McCartneys (Moira) when I did my Moira Meat Run last Friday. It's a departure from my usual Duck Fat, which I usually collect throughout the year, so I'm in uncharted territory with my roasties this year and it has caused me a few sleepless nights already. Any of you foodies used it? Mrs End would appreciate your imput(boom), which may actually help her get some shut eye.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Dave wrote:Sprouts are excellent. Hard to get this year and any I've seen are small.
Blame the diamondback moth invasion back in May, took out a big proportion of the crop and some growers had to abandon the crop and what has survived is smaller plants hence less and smaller plants due to damage, that is main reason also no wee sprout trees in shops as a lot of damaged sprouts on the stalks
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Wine before

Wine during

Wine after

Then what your eating and how it was cooked doesn't matter

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Rumsplaining
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:Rumsplaining
He should write a book. Well not literally him because it would be unreadable. Rumsplainations should be recorded for future generations.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Tighter End wrote:I got some Beef dripping from McCartneys (Moira) when I did my Moira Meat Run last Friday. It's a departure from my usual Duck Fat, which I usually collect throughout the year, so I'm in uncharted territory with my roasties this year and it has caused me a few sleepless nights already. Any of you foodies used it? Mrs End would appreciate your imput(boom), which may actually help her get some shut eye.
Don't F about with Christmas, get a trial run done before the big day :banghead:

You're making yourself sound like Ulster Rugby! Amateur :lol:
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tighter End wrote:I got some Beef dripping from McCartneys (Moira) when I did my Moira Meat Run last Friday. It's a departure from my usual Duck Fat, which I usually collect throughout the year, so I'm in uncharted territory with my roasties this year and it has caused me a few sleepless nights already. Any of you foodies used it? Mrs End would appreciate your imput(boom), which may actually help her get some shut eye.

I'm not a "foodie" Tender, indeed I'd blanche at the very notion,but I am expert in most things, so with that in mind, your beef dripping will make magnificent roasties, you will be hoping there are more than the ensemble can manage so you can nip down for a late night roastie with gravy.

Mrs End will have what Mrs End will have, however were it my end, Mrs T might be seeking blood and could be fairly indiscriminate on who said blood belongs too. For that matter you mightn't be too happy yourself, much as you seem remarkably relaxed about life. :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:

I'm not a "foodie" Tender, indeed I'd blanche at the very notion,but I am expert in most things, so with that in mind, your beef dripping will make magnificent roasties, you will be hoping there are more than the ensemble can manage so you can nip down for a late night roastie with gravy.

Mrs End will have what Mrs End will have, however were it my end, Mrs T might be seeking blood and could be fairly indiscriminate on who said blood belongs too. For that matter you mightn't be too happy yourself, much as you seem remarkably relaxed about life. Image
Just had luncheon in Made in Belfast where they cooked their chips in Beef Dripping.

Top notch
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

All the good chippies use beef dripping for frying, can't go wrong unless you are a veggie or a Hindu.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I'm with Chef Trousers on the gammon, although I boil in cider (not inside her, that would be difficult, although I do know a girl lives down by the river near Portodown, Marie is her name, she'd probably manage it ok).

I did Irn Bru and pineapple one year (not for the main event, you understand) just to take the pîss. It actually worked ok.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I'm in a minority of one, I know, but I like my roasties simply roasted, adding all the fat and god-forbid semolina, is unnecessary. A good spud is tastey enough in its own right.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Xmas pudding is not for Xmas day. You really can't do it justice.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

I like roast potatoes but on christmas day it's strictly mashed potatoes only.
Yes, that's me in the avatar!