Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by Neill_M »

Big-al wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:18 pm
Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:22 pm Which Ulster players are subject to the player management rule?

Herring, Treadwell, Henderson, McCloskey, Hume (currently out), Lowry, Baloucoune (currently out) ?
Nearly all of those players have been absent for games though.

Ulster really need one, if not both, of TOT or Moore available. The scrum, when EOS and Milo came on, last week was the avenue that got Connacht back into the game.

Is the Samoan All black injured or just not as good as Milo? surely if he can scrummage at all, he’s worthy of some gametime?
Not been listed on the weekly reports, so guessing Milo is ahead of him re selection?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by kingofthehill »

Neill_M wrote:
Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:22 pm Which Ulster players are subject to the player management rule?

Herring, Treadwell, Henderson, McCloskey, Hume (currently out), Lowry, Baloucoune (currently out) ?

Ulster really need one, if not both, of TOT or Moore available. The scrum, when EOS and Milo came on, last week was the avenue that got Connacht back into the game.

Is the Samoan All black injured or just not as good as Milo? surely if he can scrummage at all, he’s worthy of some gametime?
Not been listed on the weekly reports, so guessing Milo is ahead of him re selection?
Not true. TOT injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The King is dead. Long live the King.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Very tight in that Connacht and Bristol pool.

Cardiff, Toulon and Glasgow have all won both games too.

One of them stands out a mile in terms of a trip, whilst Bristol is usually a decent night out and arguably the easiest game.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:19 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:55 pm
Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:50 pm
It is a big derby between Munster and Leinster and it's not a good look for Munster as the home side not going with best side. They have the Lions at home in Round 12 before Europe, big game given the standings. I am guessing as best possible Ulster 23 and then rotation away at Benetton?

Although there is an alternative school of thought, going strong as possible in the two URC games and sending the 2nd XV to La Rochelle, low chance of victory etc then targeting the Sale game and try and go into Challenge Cup. That is unlikely however.
Benetton have been very good at home, if we go over there anything other than full strength I don't think we will get a result. They've won 5 from 6 at home in the league this season. They then rotate their squad when on the road.

The 2nd XV to La Rochelle is the answer, then target the Sale game. As you say it's unlikely. Does a 9th or 10th finish get you a home tie in the next round of the Challenge Cup? If yes, then that is the answer.
If Ulster finished 9th/10th in their Pool, they would have an away tie in the round of 16 of the Challenge Cup to the 3rd/4th from Pool A from that competition (currently Bristol/Connacht). Can't get a home tie in the Challenge Cup Quarter Final / Semi Final UNLESS, a team who finished in first / second in their Challenge Cup pool manage to lose at home v lower ranked side from same competition. Final of both competitions at Lansdowne Road of course.
Thanks Neill, great knowledge.

If that's the case then we need to be ruthless and give Europe no priority whatsoever, we cannot win Champions Cup and if away in all knockouts in Challenge Cup we won't win it either. Go for the jugular in the league.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

kingofthehill wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:26 pm
Neill_M wrote:

Not true. TOT injured.

I was referring to JTA rather than TOT for clarification.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:16 pm Andrew Brace will referee Ulster's New Year's Day clash with Munster, assisted by Andrew Cole and Paul Haycock, with Joy Neville as TMO in another all-Irish officiating team for an inter-provincial derby

Via @admckendry on twitter
Joy Neville ain't the worst of referees, but as TMO she tries to referee the game by proxy.

I suspect she will continuously be in Brace's ear asking him to look at plenty of "incidents" that he has ignored/missed, and then telling him what he's supposed to see and how to deal with them.

Could be a very long 80 minutes. :roll:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:38 pm
Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:16 pm Andrew Brace will referee Ulster's New Year's Day clash with Munster, assisted by Andrew Cole and Paul Haycock, with Joy Neville as TMO in another all-Irish officiating team for an inter-provincial derby

Joy Neville ain't the worst of referees, but as TMO she tries to referee the game by proxy.

I suspect she will continuously be in Brace's ear asking him to look at plenty of "incidents" that he has ignored/missed, and then telling him what he's supposed to see and how to deal with them.

New directive from Jan 1 to reduce the role of TMO in theory.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jetstream wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:53 pm

Not much chance if Joy Neville is TMO. She is a good ref but poor TMO. If an Ulster player broke wind on the pitch she would claim it was a f`ecking hurricane.
Apologies, I hadn't noticed your post whe I made similar comment about Joy. I agree entirely with your assessment.
I'm not arguing -
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Ulster really need to get the backline going this season. It has been poor in general.

Some of that may be down to Baloucoune and Hume being innured, but the likes of Lowry and Mcilroy haven’t been an effective. Lowry especially.

I think Tom otoole is now our best TH also. So long as he doesn’t give away penalties at scrum time.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:34 pm
Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:19 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:55 pm
Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:50 pm
It is a big derby between Munster and Leinster and it's not a good look for Munster as the home side not going with best side. They have the Lions at home in Round 12 before Europe, big game given the standings. I am guessing as best possible Ulster 23 and then rotation away at Benetton?

Although there is an alternative school of thought, going strong as possible in the two URC games and sending the 2nd XV to La Rochelle, low chance of victory etc then targeting the Sale game and try and go into Challenge Cup. That is unlikely however.
Benetton have been very good at home, if we go over there anything other than full strength I don't think we will get a result. They've won 5 from 6 at home in the league this season. They then rotate their squad when on the road.

The 2nd XV to La Rochelle is the answer, then target the Sale game. As you say it's unlikely. Does a 9th or 10th finish get you a home tie in the next round of the Challenge Cup? If yes, then that is the answer.
If Ulster finished 9th/10th in their Pool, they would have an away tie in the round of 16 of the Challenge Cup to the 3rd/4th from Pool A from that competition (currently Bristol/Connacht). Can't get a home tie in the Challenge Cup Quarter Final / Semi Final UNLESS, a team who finished in first / second in their Challenge Cup pool manage to lose at home v lower ranked side from same competition. Final of both competitions at Lansdowne Road of course.
Thanks Neill, great knowledge.

If that's the case then we need to be ruthless and give Europe no priority whatsoever, we cannot win Champions Cup and if away in all knockouts in Challenge Cup we won't win it either. Go for the jugular in the league.
My reading of the Amlin rules is that Ulster say as 9th placed side from Champions Cup could only have a home knockout game if they faced a 10th placed side from same competition and that all Challenge Cup sides would have home advantage over them etc.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:39 pm
Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:38 pm

New directive from Jan 1 to reduce the role of TMO in theory.
Joy will still feel obliged, even under the new directive, to call to the attention of the referee everything and anything she chooses.

It's commonly agreed that at most breakdown's the ref could penalise someone for something. The good ref's know which ones need to be punished and allow play to continue for the rest. Joy feels the need to let the ref know that she has seen every possible infringement in the game.

If the ref permits her, Joy takes the joy out of the game. I hope Brace is secure enough of his own standing (he should be) to tell her to shut up unless she sees something calamitous that he's missed, and even then to think twice before opening her mouth.
I'm not arguing -
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

JTA's last appearance he went off with an ankle injury, no idea if he has fully recovered.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Neill_M wrote:
kingofthehill wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:26 pm
Neill_M wrote:

Not true. TOT injured.

I was referring to JTA rather than TOT for clarification.
Ahh ok. Saw a video of JTA in the gym with a recovery boot on.

The King is dead. Long live the King.
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:42 pm
Jetstream wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:53 pm

Not much chance if Joy Neville is TMO. She is a good ref but poor TMO. If an Ulster player broke wind on the pitch she would claim it was a f`ecking hurricane.
Apologies, I hadn't noticed your post whe I made similar comment about Joy. I agree entirely with your assessment.
No problem.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

The Munster squad have started preparations at the HPC today ahead of our New Year’s Day game against Ulster at the Kingspan Stadium (5.15pm, live on TG4).

On the injury front following our St Stephen’s Day derby with Leinster, Diarmuid Barron failed his HIA and will enter the return to play protocols.
Jean Kleyn will go for a scan on a knee injury and his availability for Ulster will be determined later in the week. There is good news for Mike Haley as he will return to training this week after missing the Leinster clash.

In managing game time, Munster’s Ireland internationals will be rotated in the coming weeks.

Continuing to rehab: Jeremy Loughman (thigh), John Hodnett (thigh), Tom Ahern (shoulder), RG Snyman (knee), Fineen Wycherley (shoulder), Paddy Kelly (head), Jack Daly (knee), Andrew Conway (knee), Keynan Knox (knee).