Lions Vs Ulster Saturday 15th October 1pm kick off Premier Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Lions Vs Ulster Saturday 15th October 1pm kick off Premier Sports 1

Post by justinr73 »

Surprised nobody has guessed yet - it’s elementary my dear Watson.
skiboo
Novice

Post by skiboo »

Thought Sam Carter had a massive game for Ulster and feel his strengths for instance in the line out are not always recognised. I don’t see him as a flashy or very vocal player he just gets on with it and rarely misses a tackle. OK he may not be a big ball carrier but he never was and was not signup to be that type of player.
So far this season his play has been recognised more and I noticed against the Lions an interaction between the ref and him which I hadn’t seen from him in previous games.
There are those who just simply don’t like him and match his current form with a contract renewal ambition. On the other hand maybe the evolved Ulster style of play is more suited to his game.
I would really like some insight into Sam Carter the player and the man from his team mates and the coaches as he has been to some extent under the radar.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I agree that this is much better from Carter now. His own standards had fallen massively below his par. He had been missing tackles and inspecting rucks. We just need a higher standard from our NIQs. He will probably have to go France if he wants another contract in Europe. Unless he has designs on the sausage industry. Kangaroo sausages anyone? They're nicer than mince pies I hear.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Sharks Away
Munster Away
Zebre Home
Leinster Away
Sale Away
La Rochelle Home
Connacht Away

That's some fixture list on the run up to Christmas. 3 away inter pros and two european games.

4 wins from 7 would be good going.

It gets easier in January, home interpro, two European games, URC champions and Benetton away, who are no mugs any longer on their home turf.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:39 pm
BR wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:24 pm The altitude will be our downfall.
Hard to fall if you're not up at least a little bit height.
The emerging Ireland team used gamesmanship very effectively to manage challenging conditions in SA They strung out the first half to almost an hour last Sunday.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

The strength of the league means that all teams bar Leinster will drop points across the season. The shields format ends next year doesn't it for euro qualification? Which means that the league will resort to more of a meritocracy. Should a strong Welsh or dominant Scottish side emerge the unfairness of the derbies will need looked at.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:34 pm The strength of the league means that all teams bar Leinster will drop points across the season. The shields format ends next year doesn't it for euro qualification? Which means that the league will resort to more of a meritocracy. Should a strong Welsh or dominant Scottish side emerge the unfairness of the derbies will need looked at.

Leinster will drop points also. They've been selecting a lot of their front liners this past 3 weeks. Those guys will be missing in action for most of their league games from next weekend until the six nations, due to international and Hcup games.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Sharks Away
Munster Away
Zebre Home
Leinster Away
Sale Away
La Rochelle Home
Connacht Away

That's some fixture list on the run up to Christmas. 3 away inter pros and two european games.

4 wins from 7 would be good going.

It gets easier in January, home interpro, two European games, URC champions and Benetton away, who are no mugs any longer on their home turf.
These tough fixtures will hopefully battle harden the squad for knock out rugby at the business end of the season. A good win this weekend without our four first line props (on paper). No Hendy, Treadwell which is arguably our first choice pairing - with a rejuvenated Treaders. Some notable backs to return.

Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Dave wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 3:19 pm
Bobbievee wrote:But but but
We did our best to make a nonsense of it again by kicking the ball away
75 mins rubbish box kick, they run it back for a try
78.30 mins rubbish box kick ..............and foul the ball catcher in the air.
Only for their inability to win a lineout we were stuffed
That last box kick was perfect. The tackling in the air was the mistake. There was no chance of going phase after phase at that stage.

Genuinely, how to come up with such negativity after that monumental effort?
Apologies, I have been off line for a few days with Covid. Not pleasant, especially at my age .
Anyhow. Good teams become great cup winning teams by eliminating error and improving on the tiny details which can be costky. Ours is closing out games and game management, ( Heineken qf last year amongst others, ) ,

I hope that the team in its well deserved celebrations replay the last 5 minutes and ask themselves whether they could have done anything differently.......accepting that they were all out on their feet.

It's not negativity. It's called coaching and management.
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

We've a lot to improve on
We are a bit disappointed at the end

Two quotes from Michael Lowry.

That's my boy!!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Bobbievee wrote:
That last box kick was perfect. The tackling in the air was the mistake. There was no chance of going phase after phase at that stage.

Apologies, I have been off line for a few days with Covid. Not pleasant, especially at my age .
Anyhow. Good teams become great cup winning teams by eliminating error and improving on the tiny details which can be costky. Ours is closing out games and game management, ( Heineken qf last year amongst others, ) ,

I hope that the team in its well deserved celebrations replay the last 5 minutes and ask themselves whether they could have done anything differently.......accepting that they were all out on their feet.

Forgive me, brother. Written in the heat of battle or just after. Granted every inch of that game will be analysed by the coaching team. You can't fault the idea. It's a precarious position to be in. A two point lead. Momentum with the home side. Of course in the high veldt anything around half way becomes kickable. A rainy Friday in ravers and you can keep it up the jumper. There is no perfect plan in these situations. I'm not sure what the best option was but I'm glad the players did enough.

Glad to hear you're on the mend.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:55 am I agree that this is much better from Carter now. His own standards had fallen massively below his par. He had been missing tackles and inspecting rucks. We just need a higher standard from our NIQs. He will probably have to go France if he wants another contract in Europe. Unless he has designs on the sausage industry. Kangaroo sausages anyone? They're nicer than mince pies I hear.
Had them. They're bouncin'.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

jean valjean wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:34 pm The strength of the league means that all teams bar Leinster will drop points across the season. The shields format ends next year doesn't it for euro qualification? Which means that the league will resort to more of a meritocracy. Should a strong Welsh or dominant Scottish side emerge the unfairness of the derbies will need looked at.

I suspect the qualifier from each shield will be maintained.

League won't be a meritocracy until they remove the 2 derby format.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

Dave wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:20 pm
Bobbievee wrote:

Forgive me, brother. Written in the heat of battle or just after. Granted every inch of that game will be analysed by the coaching team. You can't fault the idea. It's a precarious position to be in. A two point lead. Momentum with the home side. Of course in the high veldt anything around half way becomes kickable. A rainy Friday in ravers and you can keep it up the jumper. There is no perfect plan in these situations. I'm not sure what the best option was but I'm glad the players did enough.

Glad to hear you're on the mend.
Cheers
All of your ibsight, and rationale understood and accepted
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

BR wrote:

I suspect the qualifier from each shield will be maintained.

League won't be a meritocracy until they remove the 2 derby format.
I thought each if the unions had to agree to the shield winners qualifying after a period of time. There is no way the irfu would continue to support it.