Montpellier vs Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Montpellier vs Ulster

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Never mind actually, got it. For anyone else looking to do the same thing:

1. Select "Record" on the Leinster-Castres game.
2. You should get a menu with Leinster-Castres, Ulster-Montpellier and Sharks-Cheetahs available to record. (This is because U-M and S-C are available on red button from the Leinster-Castres coverage.)
3. Record the Ulster game as normal, and relax of a Saturday evening to watch Ulster punish some cheese-eating surrender monkeys! >bud
It's the hope that kills you.
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Backrow is lightweight. None are what you would consider big lads or what you would call distinguished ball carriers of any sort (Roger slightly). Shocked Hendo isn't getting a start hoped he would maybe sneak on tour as a bolter for the Lions now he aint even getting in team with injuries to main competitor.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

HammerTime wrote:Backrow is lightweight. None are what you would consider big lads or what you would call distinguished ball carriers of any sort (Roger slightly). Shocked Hendo isn't getting a start hoped he would maybe sneak on tour as a bolter for the Lions now he aint even getting in team with injuries to main competitor.
Agree back row is too light, we are facing a huge pack and we don't have our fat guy starting, is a bit of a problem. Not sure how we are going to stop their pack tbh, I agree with the strategy of running them round the pitch but if you can't get go forward ball from the pack all you can do is kick.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

HammerTime wrote:Backrow is lightweight. None are what you would consider big lads or what you would call distinguished ball carriers of any sort (Roger slightly). Shocked Hendo isn't getting a start hoped he would maybe sneak on tour as a bolter for the Lions now he aint even getting in team with injuries to main competitor.
Anscombe has stated recently that he believes Hendo shoud be introduced gradually into things, used sparingly and not pushed. I do not agree with this since Henderson is already a full Irish international and has shown he's got the goods to play at top level. He's the same age as Etzebeth. What is the point in artifically delaying his development any further at this stage? What he needs now is seasoning and toughening up with a few full 80 min games that will get him up to match hardness and exercise his engine. I will be interested to see how he may be used by Schmidt in the Ireland setup. The two coaches may have different ideas on how to get the best out of Hendo.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Lurgan Lad wrote:
Agree back row is too light, we are facing a huge pack and we don't have our fat guy starting, is a bit of a problem. Not sure how we are going to stop their pack tbh, I agree with the strategy of running them round the pitch but if you can't get go forward ball from the pack all you can do is kick.
We are not going to out bulk Montpellier. That's what they do all the time and we would be playing right into their hands. We need to ask a different set of questions.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

With Best, Tuohy, Henry and Wilson attacking the rucks we can more than match them in the loose. I think our backs have them too if we manage to click, it just remains to be seen if we can match them in the scrum or not.

We can win this :red:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Thats the spirit ruckover!
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

ruckover wrote:With Best, Tuohy, Henry and Wilson attacking the rucks we can more than match them in the loose. I think our backs have them too if we manage to click, it just remains to be seen if we can match them in the scrum or not.

+1
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

ruckover wrote:With Best, Tuohy, Henry and Wilson attacking the rucks we can more than match them in the loose. I think our backs have them too if we manage to click, it just remains to be seen if we can match them in the scrum or not.

Definitely the ruck is going to be very important,I would include Court in that,let Fitzy catch his breath between scrums,throw in Marshall and Cave at the breakdown,and I think this is where the game is going to be won,with Williams playing it would have been very tempting to allow him to run at the Normans looking for an offload ,now we we should be concentrating on the rucks not only going forward but especially ruck defense,we need to own that no mans land,win a few rucks and kick deep into their corners force turnovers and then run at them,have them chasing shadows.Diack I think will be good in the lineout and probably found out in the midfield where quite a few 6s seem to linger these days,this may just allow him to punch thru their midfield and make tackles allowing Cave and Marshall to support him .Our back 3 should on fielding the ball,go for all out attack only kicking the ball when there is nothing else on.

6 point win. :red: :fleg:
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Imagine an Ulster pack with Afoa, Henderson, Ferris and Williams all starting!!!

That would be some sight. Lets hope Leicester get to experience it.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Big-al wrote:Imagine an Ulster pack with Afoa, Henderson, Ferris and Williams all starting!!!

Imagine a thread about Ulster playing Montpellier,mmmmmmmmhhhhhnn.

Could'nt resist it. :stout:
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
bootlaced wrote:
Big-al wrote:Imagine an Ulster pack with Afoa, Henderson, Ferris and Williams all starting!!!

Imagine a thread about Ulster playing Montpellier,mmmmmmmmhhhhhnn.

Could'nt resist it. :stout:
Get a room. Seriously, you two. Game on tomorrow.

>gimmefive
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Hammer, I think the backrow is significantly less lightweight than you give it credit for. What Ulster will have on the park tomorrow is three very, very intelligent backrow players. For one reason or another, intelligence seems to be deemed a poor substitute for brute force, yet many of the top backrow players in history have been more of the former than the latter; think David Wallace or Neil Back, for example. Ulster also have a rather well-balanced backrow for tomorrow, if you ask me. Where I do agree with you is that there isn't a serious ball carrier of note, so I'd expect Tuohy to get through a lot of work tomorrow with ball in hand; the problem is that if you put Henderson in as the "heavy-weight ball carrier", the team would lose the balance, discipline and subtlety of Diack's game. I think this is the logical conclusion of the conversations throughout this thread, so far - both players offer different things and there is no massive difference between them. If the backrow is overpowered tomorrow (which I seriously doubt), it still will not mean that Henderson would have been a magical solution that would have materially affected the outcome.

I think Ulster fans need to seriously appraise where Henderson is at the moment. He is a talented youngster who carries the ball well and has a hell of a lot of potential. At the moment, that is all. He is not the ready-made mid-career Ferris many seem to believe he is. He has his strengths and limitations; he will be a player we fans will remember for a long time if he fulfils even half of the potential he's shown in his short career to date. It does not mean that he is a complete player, however and it certainly doesn't mean that he should be an automatic selection for every big game. Fans need to put their excitement about what Henderson could (and hopefully will) be aside and be realistic about what he offers the team now.
Spiffsson wrote:I do not agree with this since Henderson is already a full Irish international
So is Rhys Ruddock...
UpAtSix
Initiate

Post by UpAtSix »

The selection is made, let's gulder til our throats give out and hope the tactics work. PJ to give a masterclass in tactical kicking again, Ulster by 3.

SUFTUM :fleg:
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

Neil F wrote:
Hammer, I think the backrow is significantly less lightweight than you give it credit for. What Ulster will have on the park tomorrow is three very, very intelligent backrow players. For one reason or another, intelligence seems to be deemed a poor substitute for brute force, yet many of the top backrow players in history have been more of the former than the latter; think David Wallace or Neil Back, for example. Ulster also have a rather well-balanced backrow for tomorrow, if you ask me. Where I do agree with you is that there isn't a serious ball carrier of note, so I'd expect Tuohy to get through a lot of work tomorrow with ball in hand; the problem is that if you put Henderson in as the "heavy-weight ball carrier", the team would lose the balance, discipline and subtlety of Diack's game. I think this is the logical conclusion of the conversations throughout this thread, so far - both players offer different things and there is no massive difference between them. If the backrow is overpowered tomorrow (which I seriously doubt), it still will not mean that Henderson would have been a magical solution that would have materially affected the outcome.

I think Ulster fans need to seriously appraise where Henderson is at the moment. He is a talented youngster who carries the ball well and has a hell of a lot of potential. At the moment, that is all. He is not the ready-made mid-career Ferris many seem to believe he is. He has his strengths and limitations; he will be a player we fans will remember for a long time if he fulfils even half of the potential he's shown in his short career to date. It does not mean that he is a complete player, however and it certainly doesn't mean that he should be an automatic selection for every big game. Fans need to put their excitement about what Henderson could (and hopefully will) be aside and be realistic about what he offers the team now.
Spiffsson wrote:I do not agree with this since Henderson is already a full Irish international
So is Rhys Ruddock...
A crafty little bit of selective quotation there Neil. The rest of my statement was ........."and has shown he's got the goods to play at the top level". And, just to be clear, I do not equate Henderson/Ruddock. I think we must just agree to disagree on this one. I have not seen too much of the "balance, discipline and subtlety of Diack's game" that you talk about. I rate him as a decent squad member who usually does not let the side down and has the odd very good game and some poor ones. He is far from being an automatic starter when all are fit. I think Henderson is already a better player ( though obviously he still has a way to go at the start of his career) and should be getting more game time. I am also not convinced about his poor discipline that you talk about. He is an abrasive player and will get pinged but I do not see him as the penalty magnet that your posts would suggest. Anyway - I doubt that we will change each other's opinion on this and have probably flogged it to death.