What are you reading?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

FRB
Initiate

Re: What are you reading?

Post by FRB »

The Increment by David Ignatius. Bog standard 'thriller' - easy reading.

Just read Ireland's Grand Slam in the players own words. Good read - interesting insight (for me anyway) into the workings of an International sports team.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Just finished One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. From time to time, I read something so good that I wonder how I hadn't read it before. This was one of those books. Totally excellent read.

Now starting on some Jim Dodge. You know, just for a change of pace.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

From the Ashes Of Angels, by Andrew collins
Looks at the origins of human civilization via the Book of Enoch.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
theCloudSpotter
Initiate

Post by theCloudSpotter »

Alice in Wonderland (slowly)
Glynncommando
Warrior Assassin

Post by Glynncommando »

John Connolly "The whisperers"
GC
"Out of Ulster have I come. Great hatred, little room - maimed me from the start. I carry from my mother's womb....a fanatic heart"
Lanzaman
Initiate

Post by Lanzaman »

Glynncommando wrote:John Connolly "The whisperers"
GC
Good book for the library ...........ssshhhhhhh
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Symbolic Landscapes by Paul Devereux
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Just finished "We Don't Know What We're Doing" by Adrian Chiles.
Football related and West Brom in particular but whatever your game is it will hardly matter...relating to Chiles will come easy.
Very highly recommended....bought for a £1 in Bargain books...worth twice that. :D
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Gemma
Warrior
Location: Rescued from the English, abandoned in frozen North

Post by Gemma »

Heartstone by CJ Sansom

The fifth in his Shardlake series about a lawyer during the reign of Henry VIII who is sent on various missions, this time by the Queen. He's been asked to investigate the allegations posed by the son of one of her servants and sets out, under the threat of war with the French, to the south coast of England to find out what's been going on. This has so far led to various other revelations. It's a very readable book, with lots of twists and turns. You don't need to have read the previous four, although that obviously gives a better insight into the characters.

About 200 pages to go, can't get through it quick enough!
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins excellent book for the unconverted .Looking forward to The Humph Delusion - B mcL :D
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Glynncommando wrote:Joseph Wambaugh "The New Centurions" a fictional account of the LAPD in the 60's. On a par with his others "The Blue Knight", "Choirboys", "Hollywood Station" etc. He's the Daddy of police themed crime novels. Gritty, black humoured, controversial....Highly recommended, if you like that sort of thing :thumright:
GC
hmm i do like that sort of thing - i hadn't heard of this chap though - but is he more of the daddy of police themed crime novels than James Ellroy??
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Muddy Bless
Initiate

Post by Muddy Bless »

Just finished An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears.

Stunningly good read that lasted me a pretty solid 4 days poolside reading on holidays! Tells the story and back story of a murder from 4 peoples viewpoints....each one telling the story with thier own best intrests at heart!

Great book
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

"Huge Doses of Crap" a work in progress by the contributors of UAFC and when I have time my latest joyful episode of the writings of Bill Bryson - "Notes from a Small Island" which was published in 1995. It probably helps to have some knowledge of the periods he talks about to fully enjoy but for anyone reading his work you will benefit from it.

I normally buy books in batches of 4 or 5 and Bryson books I often keep for times when I am not in high spirits. His simple gentle humour and amazing ability to weave a story from either mundane or quirky situations always leaves me smiling.

He will need to become more prolific just the same, I'm running out of material.

Other Bryson books I would recommend:

Life & Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - a memoir
A Short History of Almost Everything - science, factual stuff delivered in a very enjoyable form. You will remember loads of bizarre facts for ages & be astonished by the freakish plethora of factors/luck that we are here at all.
A walk in the woods - travel, hiking the Appalachian Trail
Down Under - travel, Australia
The Lost Continent - travel, returning to America after living for years in the UK & discovering the demise of small-town America

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.
Big Nose
Novice

Post by Big Nose »

backawaygoonahead wrote: A Short History of Almost Everything - science, factual stuff delivered in a very enjoyable form. You will remember loads of bizarre facts for ages & be astonished by the freakish plethora of factors/luck that we are here at all.
I enjoyed this book but couldn't help feeling that at times he didn't quite understand what he was writing about. Maybe it was because I didn't quite understand it either..
backawaygoonahead
Chancellor to the King

Post by backawaygoonahead »

Big Nose wrote:
backawaygoonahead wrote: A Short History of Almost Everything - science, factual stuff delivered in a very enjoyable form. You will remember loads of bizarre facts for ages & be astonished by the freakish plethora of factors/luck that we are here at all.
I enjoyed this book but couldn't help feeling that at times he didn't quite understand what he was writing about. Maybe it was because I didn't quite understand it either..

Know what you mean but still a pretty impressive effort from a guy who is clearly not a scientist.

Before you insult somebody you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you insult them you'll be a mile away and have their shoes!

Bullshit: the art of making the idiotic sound sensible.

Times I just sits and thinks, and times I just sits.