Benetton v Ulster Saturday January 7 1pm KO (UK Time) Viaplay (Premier) Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Benetton v Ulster Saturday January 7 1pm KO (UK Time) Viaplay (Premier) Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

thecrouch wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:12 pm Without making excuses, what is also not helping is that our marquee big forward signing (Vermuelen) is quite obviously absolutely done. He's finished.

He does not have the legs or the lungs any more, he struggles to get involved in games.
Sadly 100%. I'd take Coetzee every time. It was as never an upgrade given his age profile. Sad but time marches on etc
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: Benetton v Ulster Saturday January 7 1pm KO (UK Time) Viaplay (Premier) Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

CIMANFOREVER wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:44 pm
thecrouch wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:12 pm Without making excuses, what is also not helping is that our marquee big forward signing (Vermuelen) is quite obviously absolutely done. He's finished.

He does not have the legs or the lungs any more, he struggles to get involved in games.
Sadly 100%. I'd take Coetzee every time. It was as never an upgrade given his age profile. Sad but time marches on etc we had the media "Thor" hyperbole, but that's all it was, hyperbole. None of us looking objectively thought a 36yo replacing a 30 yo at the peak of his powers was an upgrade. Hindsights a wonderful thing :red: tis the Ulster way, as Joe Mahon would say.
Exterminate all rational thought
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

I don’t agree. I think it’s worse than that. I think he is absolutely able to contribute more but is choosing not to. He used to provide some leadership and big game saving moments particularly in defence, but recently he seems to have titrated his performances down to the level of those around him. The impression I get is he has got fed up with the lack of effort around him and is just putting in his time. I think that frustration is showing in Henderson’s body language too (although he is just busting a gut trying to do everything himself which is much more admirable but not much more effective).

If by some miracle the team become re energised i think we will see more from DV. I doubt that will happen though because we have more chastening days coming up in the near future. There may be basket case quotes in the press soon
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Agreed there is more in the tank with DVM…

I saw no clearing out/tidying up breakdown preventing getting turned over, no serious turnover attempts, no dirty ball carrying, just trudged around the pitch off the bench, and stood 2runners out, not fooling anyone he was getting the ball. 100% he’s dialling it in - the legs haven’t gone overnight. In fact this has been happening for several games now.
No way is he going to the wc on this shitshow levels of performance-something is definitely wrong i wonder whether he’s been informed of that and can’t be arsed or he’s had enough of UR bullshit.
Worryingly he offered no leadership / direction for the pack it was dire!!!!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dave wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 9:02 pm I can't believe youngsters don't want a glitzy and glamorous career at Ulster Rugby! Plucky defeats galore, 6 nations weekends off, no annoying silverware to polish, etc. The occasional slagging off on the uafc, but that's about it.
It's not uafc that is the problem.

As a player they risk getting @ed on twitter!

Now according to Mark Robson, it's only scüm who do this, but it's simply not worth the risk, is it?

One below-par performance could lead to a career ending @ing
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

So It Is wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:25 pm 'Many of us followed Ulster when we were truly a world class dominant club.'

Times change. The likes of Wolves and Bolton used to be the dominant forces in English football. Ajax, Feyenoord, Benfica and Celtic were once giants of the European game. Ulster should be able to compete with the world's best teams, but I don't think we'll ever dominate again in the way that Leinster or the big French clubs do now.
But if Leinster (and Munster) can do it, why can't we? Apart from some sort of possible IRFU bias perhaps, how are we different from them?
Soda
Novice

Benetton v Ulster Saturday January 7 1pm KO (UK Time) Viaplay (Premier) Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by Soda »

solidarity wrote:
So It Is wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:25 pm 'Many of us followed Ulster when we were truly a world class dominant club.'

Times change. The likes of Wolves and Bolton used to be the dominant forces in English football. Ajax, Feyenoord, Benfica and Celtic were once giants of the European game. Ulster should be able to compete with the world's best teams, but I don't think we'll ever dominate again in the way that Leinster or the big French clubs do now.
But if Leinster (and Munster) can do it, why can't we? Apart from some sort of possible IRFU bias perhaps, how are we different from them?
Never mind Leinster and Munster, both Connacht and Glasgow have managed more silverware recently than we have

We've chronically under achieved for nigh on 20 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

Where’s the Strive for excellence, when competition within the squad is weak, and being local nigh on guarantees a career? Reward for mediocrity-occasional great Euro win apart. Nepotism And a lack of honesty amongst exp pros is indicative of a poor performing culture.
When we’ve had unbalanced squads when did we let backs go to free up funds for forwards? Doesn’t happen really does it?
I hope there is a very uncomfortable honesty meeting, and frankly a training ground punch up.
They need to be told covid is over because currently some of these players are WFH.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I like that last line.

I could argue that the woodwork cost us the game on Saturday but I won’t.

We were worse than against Munster. At least they had to work for their tries.

Only Big Stu was any good at carrying in Treviso.

I’m trying not to pick on any individuals but I could be persuaded.

Still, in the Beer King pub in Lyon now and feeling much happier.

Safe home for the guys on the Dublin flight and to those heading back to England.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I’ve just realised I’m drinking pints of Tete de Mort red at 8.2 per cent.

Neill M where are you?

Ulster are brill.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

There is no chance of a training ground punch up. Some of these guys are still high fixing the opposition at half time. Some people praise all these extra Ireland camps, but it doesn't help the softer provinces (Ulster).
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
scrumncoke
Novice

Post by scrumncoke »

Soda wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:03 pm

Interesting. Have we ?

What basis have we for the expectation that we should win a league or European title?
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

scrumncoke wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:25 pm

Interesting. Have we ?

What basis have we for the expectation that we should win a league or European title?
Good point.

Well made.
Soda
Novice

Post by Soda »

scrumncoke wrote:

Interesting. Have we ?

If Connacht can win a league I'm damn sure we should have been able to
( granted it's tougher now with the saffers )

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

We should have won the 2013 Rabo Direct final. We should have beaten Leinster in the Heiny QF in 2019. We should have beaten Quins to qualify for Heiny knockout in 2021.
We should have beaten Toulose over two legs, considering the red card, last season. We should have beaten the Stormers last season considering the red card.

This season, take your pick.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?