What the Papers Say 2013/2014

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Mac
Chancellor to the King

Re: What the Papers Say 2013/2014

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 5th June 2013
RB.jpg
RB.jpg (11.65 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
London Tele

Rory Best turns his late call-up into a push for Test place against Australia......................
Ireland hooker determined to make the most of Dylan Hartley's suspension and play against Wallabies
The moment Rory Best knew he had not been selected for the British and Irish Lions squad came during a regular training session with Ulster.

While Warren Gatland was reading out the names of his 37-man squad at a hotel in London, Best realised his fate was sealed when suddenly none of the Irish province’s coaching team was able to look him in the eye.

In an instant the 30-year-old Ireland hooker, who had been hailed for most of the season by many as a likely start for the Lions’ Test team, felt his rugby world fall apart.

“When the initial squad was announced that was as low as I’ve felt,” recalled Best. “More and more people on our management were avoiding eye contact with me.

“Nobody avoids you when it’s good news, so I had an idea from that. It was bitterly disappointing and on that Tuesday afternoon I allowed myself to dwell on it and think deeply about the whole thing.”

He could not have known then that his painful reflections would disappear almost as quickly as they had enveloped him.

He had barely had time to absorb Ulster’s RaboDirect Pro 12 final defeat by Leinster before news filtered through to him that one of the three hookers selected ahead of him, Northampton’s captain Dylan Hartley, had been sent off for verbally abusing referee Wayne Barnes in the Aviva Premiership final at Twickenham.

Best thought nothing more of it at the time, but the following day Hartley received an 11-week ban and Best, who had been due to captain Ireland on their tour of North America, was promptly summoned to London instead to join the squad before they departed for Hong Kong the following day.

“I was just trying to get everything gathered together and get my thoughts gathered together,” Best, who makes his Lions debut on Wednesday against the Western Force in Perth, said.

“It had been a fairly tough season with the way things went internationally and then Ulster losing the quarter-final in Europe and the final of the league.

“I’d planned to go down to Carton House [to join the Ireland squad] for the week and would at least get a day at home during it and I’d a lot of things I was going to get done in that day, so they’ve now been left to my wife and dad to sort out.”

The major factor that appeared to have gone against Best, in what Lions head coach Warren Gatland admitted was one of the toughest selection decisions, was his line-out throwing in the Six Nations.

Best admitted Ireland’s line-out had been disappointing, but highlighted mitigating factors such as the poor weather and absence of an experienced head such as Paul O’Connell when the going got tough.

“Once you start to lose a couple everyone’s nerves start to go a little,” Best, who has 67 caps, said.

“Little things start to creak a little bit and you don’t throw it the way you would when you’re on top of the ground.

“It spiralled a wee bit in Ireland’s last three games. It was disappointing we didn’t have the experience of Paulie to lean on there.

"What was disappointing was that we had by and large the same pack we had in New Zealand when in three Tests we barely lost a line-out.

"But when the confidence starts to go that’s when you need the likes of Paul O’Connell, who has been there, done it and is a rock for everyone to lean on.”

Graham Rowntree, the forwards coach, said he had been impressed by the way Best had reacted to his late call-up.

“Rory is a great professional and very diligent about what he has to do. He has been a great addition.

“He was very close to being selected in the initial squad.

"The hooker and back-row positions were the most difficult positions to select and it was tough leaving a player of Rory’s ability out in the first place.”

Best will be aiming at the Welsh second-row combination of Alun-Wyn Jones and Ian Evans on Wednesday, as well as the back-rowers Jamie Heaslip, of Ireland, and England’s Tom Croft.

He is determined to seize his second chance with both hands, just as Croft did four years ago in South Africa, when he was called into the squad after Alan Quinlan was suspended for gouging.

Croft ended up in the Test team and that is now Best's goal as well.

“This is the opportunity of a lifetime,” he said. “Few people get to do it and you want to get out there, do your best and push to be selected. Everyone has the same mindset.

“Competition for places is what it’s all about. For me, whether I was selected in the initial squad or coming in late as I did, I’m here and I’m getting a chance to play.

“You always want to go out and do the best you can. That’s where you want to be and that’s what is going to push this team forward.”
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ralia.html

Indo

Best ready to produce tour de force on Lions debut..........................
Ireland hooker aims to raise bar and stake an early claim for Test place
THE euphoria of his Lions selection was scarcely given time to seep into the extremities of Rory Best's broad frame before his mind turned to the list of things he had to get done before departing for London.

It didn't take long for the memory of Ulster's Pro12 final loss the previous night to be supplanted by his sense of satisfaction at getting a Lions' call.

Best was driving to Ulster's training base in Belfast when he received word alerting him to his change in circumstances and, crucially, summer destinations.

He had been scheduled to drive to Ireland's Carton House for a week of training before departing for the tour to North America and Canada.

The phone call from Lions coach Warren Gatland changed all that.

"I had planned on getting back up to Belfast and getting a lot of things done during our day off with Ireland in that coming week.

"They've now been left to my wife and dad to sort out. It was a rush to get everything together, because going on tour with Ireland is something I've done virtually every year for the last seven or eight and I'm relaxed about that.

SUDDEN

"All of a sudden it hits you that this is a new experience and you like to be a little bit more organised for this sort of thing!" he added.

The rush to get things packed and organised evaporated in the heat of Hong Kong last week and today he becomes a Lions player when he joins seven of his Ireland team-mates in the team to play a weakened Western Force.

To all intents Force's season is over and they won't better their 14th place in the Super 15 table, but their coach Michael Foley has prioritised their derby against the Waratahs on Saturday with his selection.

"I suppose, in many ways we have to just focus on ourselves," said Best. "We've got the honour of pulling on the jersey and it's up to us, no matter who we're playing against, to get to certain standards.

"We don't have a lot of time because the tour is only 10 matches long. We have to get up to speed fast and have to gel together quickly. We have to take every opportunity to do that and, of course, this includes the game against the Force."

The Aussie outfit does contain six Test players, but the majority of their backline is made up of fringe performers.

As well as being without their Wallaby players Nick Cummins and Ben McCalman, first choice out-half Sias Ebersohn is also missing, as is full-back Jayden Hayward, prop Pek Cowan, in-form centre Kyle Godwin, hooker Heath Tessmann and lock Sam Wykes.

The weakened selection does bring the benefit of this outing for the Lions into question, but it also raises the possibility of the Lions being targeted by Force players seeking to make a name for themselves in the physical stakes.

It's something the Lions coaches have warned the players about. "Warren spoke about not being dragged into anything," explained forwards' coach Graham Rowntree – and Best has first-hand experience of how these games can quickly explode into a slug-fest.

He insists that the Lions won't get "mugged" as Ireland did when they played Bayonne in the build-up to the 2007 World Cup and Brian O'Driscoll had his cheekbone fractured, just one of a number of injuries suffered by Irish players.

"We got mugged against Bayonne because they came to fight and, instead of just physically matching them and not throwing any digs, we just backed off them. There's a subtle difference there and you need to be on the right side of it.

"There's been a lot said about people trying to make a name for themselves, but we have to concentrate on ourselves.

"We have to make sure that, physically, we're there. Certainly, as a pack of forwards, if we're on the money, we have a very good chance of winning the game.

"This is about this fresh new group of players coming together and trying to raise the bar slightly from where the team that played on Saturday night left it."

It is entirely probable the Lions will run up a big score against the Force in this game. They have been awful in this season's Super 15 competition and have won just three of their 14 games.

The Lions have included a number of players – including Best – who will be making their debuts and they will be anxious to make a positive impression as the tour continues to rumble toward the June 22 date of the first Test.

It will be particularly informative to see how Brian O'Driscoll and Manu Tuilagi combine in the midfield. After Jonathan Davies' impressive showing at outside-centre in the heat of Hong Kong the Ireland veteran needs to put in a strong performance.

Similarly, the all-Welsh second-row pair of Alun Wyn Jones and Ian Evans are already under pressure following the excellent performance of Paul O'Connell against the Barbarians.

How Sean O'Brien fares will also be revealing, as will how the back-row performs as a unit. All three are strong runners with ball-in-hand with Tom Croft and Jamie Heaslip also very strong line-out options.

The strength of the Lions side has taken some commentators by surprise. It is generally accepted the game against the Queensland Reds on Saturday will be a far tougher test of their credentials and it was expected some players would be held in reserve for that game.

There is clearly an element of Warren Gatland wanting to keep the Wallabies guessing as to the likely make-up of his Test side. That it's so early in the tour also means that the Test team has yet to reveal itself with only one or two positions definitely filled.

For Best, that is all the encouragement he needs and now that he's in Australia with the Lions he's determined to make the most of the opportunity.

"Competition for places is what it's all about. For me, whether I was selected initially or coming in late as I did, I'm here and I'm getting a chance to play against the Force and I'll take it with both hands.

"It's about knuckling down now and trying to force my way into the Test team," Best added.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 20888.html

'O'Connell a rock for everyone to lean on – we missed him in Six Nations'..................Rory.
Best convinced Munster totem would have cured out-of-sorts line-out in ill-fated campaign
RORY BEST highlighted the absence of Paul O'Connell from the Six Nations this season as one of the main reasons for Ireland's line-out issues.

O'Connell was recovering from back surgery and missed Ireland's campaign. Best shipped a lot of criticism for the misfiring set-piece, but believes that had O'Connell been fit and available, Ireland wouldn't have struggled as badly.

"We didn't have Paul O'Connell, which is always going to be a massive loss," said Best.

"It's one of those things. We lost a bit of timing in the game against England and in the Scotland game they read us so well, it was hard to get over the two boys.

"Once you start to lose a couple, everyone's nerves start to go a little. Little things start to creak a little bit and you don't throw it the way you would when you're on top of the ground.

"It spiralled a wee bit in the last three games. It was disappointing we didn't have the experience of Paulie to lean on there."

Best is one of the most dedicated players in Ireland and his elevation to the Lions is no more than he deserved. The fact that Ireland slumped in the Six Nations hurt him as much as anybody, especially as he was central to Ireland's line-out strategy and that was not as successful as it can be.

"What was disappointing was that we had, by and large, the same pack we had in New Zealand when in three Tests we barely lost a line-out," he said.

"When the confidence starts to go, that's when you need the likes of O'Connell, who has been there, done it and he's a rock for everyone to lean on."

Best recalled the range of emotions he went through, from his initial omission from the Lions squad to his belated call-up the morning after losing the Pro12 final with Ulster.

"To miss out on the initial selection was bitterly disappointing, but I had to try and get over it a bit quicker than I would have done if Ulster hadn't been involved in such big games," he said.

"I had to try and for the team's sake dust myself down as quickly as I could and get back in, but there is so much hype about it and you can't avoid it.

"You do get disappointed again and you have to keep trying to pick yourself up.

"Obviously, I was very disappointed at losing the Pro12 final and then I went to the complete opposite extreme when getting the phone call to say they wanted me in London on Monday morning to fly out to Hong Kong.

"I don't think there has ever been a higher high than that for me in rugby."

Best makes his Lions debut today against Western Force.

Meanwhile, Australia great Michael Lynagh admits he is growing "a little bit worried" over the Wallabies' prospects.

World Cup-winning fly-half Lynagh, who played in the 2-1 series defeat to the 1989 Lions, fears the tourists could inflict a whitewash upon the Wallabies.

"The Lions could win the series 3-0, yes," Lynagh said.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/o ... 20884.html

Examiner

Best on top of the world Down Under........................
As Rory Best drove to the Ulster training ground nine days ago, his mind was still turning over the way a season of promise had turned in every way to disappointment.

A poor Six Nations for Ireland, a Heineken Cup quarter-final exit to Saracens and the latest woe, a RaboDirect Pro12 final defeat by Leinster, it was a pretty miserable collection of events to mull as he tried to get himself organised for the Ireland tour to North America.

Then the hooker’s world turned upside down, or rather Down Under, as Best received the call that he was going on a different tour, to Hong Kong and Australia with the British & Irish Lions. Overlooked by Warren Gatland when the squad was announced on April 30, Best came back into the frame the minute Dylan Hartley committed professional self-destruction and swore at Aviva Premiership final referee Wayne Barnes.

Hartley’s 11-week ban removed the English hooker from the plane and Best was the grateful beneficiary.

“To miss out on the initial selection was bitterly disappointing but I had to try and get over it a bit quicker than if Ulster hadn’t been involved in such big games,” he said yesterday.

“I had to try and for the team’s sake dust myself down as quickly as I could and get back in. We had a couple of crucial games which took my mind off it. But it’s the same thing: you’re not in the squad, there is so much hype about it and you can’t avoid it. Obviously the disappointment of losing the final with Ulster, then the next day going to the complete opposite extreme of getting the phone call to say they want you in London on Monday morning to fly out to Hong Kong. I don’t think there has ever been a higher high than that for me in rugby.”

Best may have been a late call-up on the eve of the tour but he was only 12 hours behind fellow Ulster Lion Tommy Bowe and the contingents from Leicester and Leinster in going into camp. Forwards coach Graham Rowntree has been impressed by his swift integration.

“There were a couple of positions in the forward pack which we had long conversations about — back row and hooker. He was very close and I’ve been impressed with his attitude coming on. He’s got up to speed with everything and been very professional. He’s good to have around and gets on with things.”

Getting on with things is exactly what Best has in mind today against the Western Force when he packs down alongside Ireland team-mate Cian Healy and English tighthead Dan Cole, the fact of his late call-up now an irrelevance as the Lions stake their claim for Test places.

“I think everyone here now has the same approach. We want each game to get better, we want each unit to be as good as it can be and everyone wants to push on and play their best rugby.

“This is the opportunity of a lifetime.

“Few people get to do it and you want to get out there, do your best and push to be selected for the last three [Tests] and everyone has the same mindset for that.

“Competition for places is what it’s all about.

“For me, whether I was selected in the initial [squad] or coming in late as I did, I’m here and I’m getting a chance to play. It’s a massive honour for me to be playing.”
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/best ... 33289.html

Houston, we "could" have a problem.................

Americans’ fighting talk shows they have Ireland in their sights............
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1417088

Ireland’s Jason Cowman busy preparing players for searing heat and total humidity...............
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1417121

Kiss wants players to deliver........................
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 20510.html

Kiss to take pointers for November Tests.....................
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/kiss ... 33286.html
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 5th June.................Cont'd

YIKES !! :shock:

Times

John Afoa to undergo operation in Auckland ..................
Torn tricep tendon to sideline Ulster prop for 10-12 weeks
Ulster prop John Afoa is to undergo surgery to repair a torn tricep tendon in his left arm.

The All Blacks tighthead is home in New Zealand and will undergo the operation in Auckland.

Afoa picked up the injury in the RaboDirect Pro12 final against Leinster last month and is expected to be sidelined for between 10 and 12 weeks.

That recovery timeline would see him available to Ulster in time for the start of the 2013/14 campaign.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/j ... -1.1417682

BBC

Ulster prop Afoa to have arm surgery in New Zealand..................
Ulster prop John will undergo surgery in Auckland on Wednesday to repair a torn tricep tendon in his left arm.

The All Black, who sustained the injury in the Pro12 final against Leinster last month, will require a recovery period of 10-12 weeks.

It means the 29-year-old is expected to be avaialble for the start of the 2013/14 season.

The former Auckland Blues player has impressed with Ulster since his arrival at Ravenhill two years ago.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22779313
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 6th June 2013

Indo

Leinster, Munster and Ulster secure favourable Heineken Cup draws................. :scratch:
Lady luck was smiling on the Irish provinces as they steered clear of the big guns in today's draw for the pool stages of the Heineken Cup in Dublin.

Reigning Amlin Challenge Cup winners and three-time Heineken Cup champions Leinster are the top seeds in Pool One alongside Aviva Premiership runners-up Northampton, the Ospreys and French side Castres.

Matt O'Connor's side will be highly fancied to top the pool and secure a home semi-final.

Munster are joined in Pool Six by Perpignan, Edinburgh and Premiership side Gloucester.

Ulster face a much stiffer task in Pool Five where they face the Leicester Tigers and Montpellier, both beaten quarter-finalists this year, and Italian minnows Treviso.

Connacht will be delighted with the news that they will entertain European powerhouses Toulouse and Saracens at the Sportsgrounds next year as well as Zebres.

The undoubted group of death is Pool Four which contains beaten finalists this year Clermont Auvergne, Conor O'Shea's Harlequins, the Scarlets and Jonathan Sexton-led Racing Metro side.

Reigning champions Toulon have been drawn in Pool Two with Cardiff Blues, Glasgow and the Exeter Chiefs.

Draw for the 2013-2014 Heineken Cup:

Pool 1
Leinster
Northampton
Ospreys
Castres

Pool 2
Toulon
Cardiff
Glasgow
Exeter Chiefs

Pool 3
Toulouse
Saracens
Connacht
Zebres

Pool 4
Clermont
Harlequins
Scarlets
Racing Metro

Pool 5
Ulster
Leicester Tigers
Montpellier
Treviso

Pool 6
Munster
Perpignan
Edinburgh
Gloucester
http://www.independent.ie/sport/leinste ... 23388.html

Tele

Tigers expect tough Heineken test........................
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 25157.html

Newsletter

Mixed bag for Ulster in Heineken Cup draw...........................
Ulster will face familiar foe in next season’s Heineken Cup following Wednesday afternoon’s draw – but they also have a fresh face in Pool Five.

French side, Montpellier, who reached the quarter-finals last season, will be new opposition for the Irish Province.

It will also mean the potential return to Ravenhill of Fijian winger, Timosci ‘Jimmy’ Nagusa, who spent two years with the club during Matt Williams’ reign and was a popular character amongst the fans.

The fans will be delighted to have somewhere different to go.

Recently crowned English champions Leicester Tigers are also in the group – they met two seasons ago in the campaign Ulster reached the Heineken Cup final before losing to Leinster at Twickenham.

The pool is completed with fellow PRO12 side, Benetton Treviso. It may have been a ‘blessing’ in the past to have an Italian club included in the group stage, but Treviso have improved in recent seasons and will present a formidable challenge.

PRO12 champions and Amlin Cup winners, Leinster will come up against French champions, Castres and Northampton Saints as well as the Ospreys in pool one, regarded as one of the toughest pools – the other being Clermont’s Pool Four, which includes Racing Metro, Harlequins and Scarlets.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-5162236

Examiner

No Heineken Cup deal before season kicks off........................
The chief executive of the ERC has admitted the dispute over the Heineken Cup, which is threatening the tournament’s future, is unlikely to be resolved by the time the domestic rugby season kicks off in September.
Derek McGrath was speaking at the draws for the 2013/14 Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup at the Aviva Stadium, the last such occurrences before the existing accord governing the European competitions comes to an end next May.

The English and French clubs have been bullish in their demands for changes to structures, qualifying criteria and, in the former’s case, TV broadcasting rights, and little progress has been made between them, the Celtic nations and Italy after considerable and lengthy talks.

Four formal meetings have been held between all the interested parties — the ERC, the six unions, Premiership Rugby, Ligue Nationale de Rugby and Regional Rugby Wales — but to no avail.

It is believed the behind-the-scenes efforts to break the impasse and save the tournaments will continue next week when representatives of the unions will meet with those of the English clubs, but McGrath admitted yesterday that finding any agreement long-term will be difficult.

“There has been a lot of discussion and effort to try and address the differences, of which there are many,” he explained. “As the tournament has grown it’s finding it harder to find agreement. To find agreement is going to be difficult. There is no doubt about that.

“However, we are only halfway through the period of time we have given ourselves to find this, which is 2014. In an ideal world we would have made the provisions before next season kicks off, but that’s where it is right now. We are still discussing but are not close to agreement.

“It’s looking like it’s going to be hard [to resolve it before next season]. When you have such a disparate group and such a wide number who have to agree, it does make it difficult for everyone to come down… usually it’s the deadline that will enforce that.”

Boardroom issues concerning a tournament which will not resume for another four months don’t make for exciting stories when the national side and the Lions are touring North America and Australia, but European rugby has been pivotal to the successes achieved by those Irish players.

Even one season without the Heineken Cup or an equivalent would have devastating effects on the fragile ecosystem here, both on and off the field, but then the stakes are high for all of the parties concerned.

Next May has been pinpointed as the cut-off point but the reality of modern-day sports is that commercial agreements and event management is planned and decided months and sometimes years in advance.

A Heineken final, for example, takes over 12 months preparation.

“I would say at a human level it is not an ideal scenario,” said McGrath. “We have built something which is now very successful. In truth, publicly owned. Our partners have given massive support to the tournament so it’s not ideal for us to be effectively putting our dirty washing out in public.

“It would be much better if we could deal with these things in a respectful and proactive way. We can’t remove the tensions. You’ve got that dynamic. Our job is to manage as far as we can that we keep the communication around the table and we respect the various interests. We also try and separate the business from politics.”

Doing so is not easy in theory or in practice. That much is plain from plans drawn up by Minister for State at the Department of Health, Alex White, to introduce legislation which would ban drink companies like Heineken from sponsoring large sporting events in Ireland by 2020.

“This is not something that is new to us. We have had experience of this in France and we have been in discussions with Heineken about the possibility of this for a long time. So we are advanced in our preparation in the event that things happen. We will work with the regulating environment that is there. We will work with the decisions that are made. We recognise that we have had a great partnership but that this may change in time.”
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/no-h ... 33400.html

Times

Olding and Henshaw set to win their first Ireland caps....................
Duo pulled from the under-20s because it was felt they are good enough for Test match rugby
They should be with Mike Ruddock’s Ireland under-20s at the World Championships in France but instead Stuart Olding and Robbie Henshaw are primed to win their first caps against the USA at BBVA Compass stadium on Saturday evening.

Henshaw doesn’t turn 20 until next week but the Athlone teenager showcased the full package when nailing down the Connacht fullback slot this season, even when Gavin Duffy was fit, while Olding leap-frogged a respectable inside centre queue in Ulster.

Granted, he was assisted by injury to Paddy Wallace and Luke Marshall’s repetitive concussions, while Gordon D’Arcy is also on ice for the summer, but the Belfast boy has excelled when presented an opportunity in the Rabo Pro12.

Also, neither young man appears to be a physical liability. Henshaw’s official statistics have him at six-foot-one inch and 92 kilograms. He looks far more imposing up close.

Of course, Les Kiss also has proven options in Munster duo Felix Jones and James Downey but, clearly, Henshaw and Olding were pulled from the under-20s because it was felt they are good enough for Test match rugby.

It also seems likely the pair will be taking their cues from Ian Madigan. Kiss has stated that Paddy Jackson and Madigan will both get game time at outhalf against USA and Canada but the Blackrock outhalf-gum-fullback-gum-centre has been in sensational form all season, be it off the kicking tee or co-ordinating Leinster’s attack in Jonathan Sexton’s injury enforced absence.

Recovered well
Jackson, in fairness, admirably recovered from well documented struggles when trust under the spotlight by finishing Ulster’s campaign with some impressive displays, particularly the Pro12 final in Dublin.

But Madigan has been the outstanding Irish player this year. Take the Glasgow match at the RDS on March 23rd when he single-handedly beat the league leaders.

At a crucial moment, with Leinster trailing, he chipped out of his in-goal area, a risky move that threatened to back fire until he regathered and offloaded in traffic. Another sensational 60-metre break took Leinster into the scoring zone before a brilliant sleight of hand saw him dance over untouched for the winning try. It finished Madigan 22, Glasgow 17. “I thought his kicking was first rate,” said Joe Schmidt that night.

Incidentally, Schmidt lands in Houston tomorrow. Saturday would be Madigan’s first start after two caps off the bench during the Six Nations, at centre and remarkably scrumhalf, while Munster prop Dave Kilcoyne and Iain Henderson are also in line to make their first run outs in a green jersey having already amassed six and five caps this season.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1418430

Indo
IAN MADIGAN is expected to start for Ireland for the first time against the US Eagles on Saturday as interim coach Les Kiss prepares to hand debuts to Connacht's Robbie Henshaw and Ulster's Stuart Olding.

The 24-year-old out-half will be looking to repeat the form he showed for Leinster this season in Jonny Sexton's absence and edge ahead of incumbent Paddy Jackson as back-up to the Lions No 10.

Kiss has indicated that he is likely to give both out-halves a chance on the two-match tour, so the Ulsterman looks likely to start against Canada in Toronto next week.

Madigan won two caps off the bench during the Six Nations, but he has yet to play in his favoured position for Ireland as Jackson held on to the out-half berth after making being chosen over Ronan O'Gara to start against Scotland in Murrayfield.

The newcomer is likely to be able to lean on the familiarity of playing alongside his clubmate Isaac Boss, who looks set to return to Test rugby for the first time since facing Russia during the 2011 World Cup.

Both players come into the clash on the back of some excellent club form, although Madigan was forced to move to inside centre for Leinster's two finals after Sexton's return to fitness.

US coach Mike Tolkin highlighted Madigan as the main threat to his team at Tuesday's pre-match press conference and it is clear he will be watched closely by the Eagles' defence.

Henshaw's rapid rise to prominence looks set to continue with the Athlone native, who turns 20 on Wednesday, likely to become just the fourth teenager to be capped by Ireland in the professional age entering an exclusive club that includes Gordon D'Arcy, Luke Fitzgerald and Rhys Ruddock.

Olding's late-season form has caught Kiss' eye and he was originally the only recognised inside centre named in the squad, although James Downey was drafted in as cover when the Ulster man suffered an ankle injury against Leinster in the Pro12 final.

That has cleared up sufficiently for the 20-year-old, just three months Henshaw's senior, to make his first appearance for Ireland.

Captain Peter O'Mahony will lead from the No 8 position in a pack that could see Dave Kilcoyne and Iain Henderson make their first starts after winning a number of caps each off the bench. Kiss announces his team at 11.0 (Irish time) tonight.

With Joe Schmidt arriving in the Texan city tomorrow, the new coach will get a chance to sample what awaits him with his soon-to-be-assistant Kiss looking to field a young side packed with pace.

But the callowness of the squad could be a factor against an Eagles side with plenty of European nous in the pack and the likes of Northampton's Samu Manoa, Stade Francais' former Trinity lock Scott LaValla and experienced captain Todd Clever looking to gain an edge up front.

Leadership is another issue, with the core of Jamie Heaslip, Rory Best, Rob Kearney, Sexton, Paul O'Connell and Brian O'Driscoll with the Lions and Donnacha Ryan, D'Arcy and Eoin Reddan among those injured or rested.

Hooker Richardt Strauss may be a relative novice at international level, but his Heineken Cup experience means that he will be expected to lead from the front on Saturday.

The South African-born Leinster man has noticed his colleagues stepping up to the plate since arriving in the US. "I will try and go about my business; if that offers some leadership, then I'm happy to do that," he said.

"We have some great leaders here. Guys like Devin Toner and Isaac Boss have been really good. 'Mads' and Paddy Jackson have been throwing their weight in and organising the team. I'm pretty happy with where we are at the moment."

Ireland (v USA Eagles, probable) – R Henshaw; F McFadden, D Cave, S Olding, S Zebo; I Madigan, I Boss; D Kilcoyne, R Strauss, M Ross; D Toner, M McCarthy; I Henderson, C Henry, P O'Mahony (capt).
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/m ... 24432.html

Times

Ireland get off to perfect start in France with win over Australia.....................
Coach Mike Ruddock hails the way his side closed out game against bigger Wallabies
IRELAND 19 AUSTRALIA 15: Ireland made the perfect start to their campaign in the south Brittany sunshine yesterday evening with a victory which was far more convincing than the scoreline would suggest.

The concession of a try off a lineout just before the break and then a breakaway effort from the Wallabies seven minutes from time meant that Ireland had to dig deep to win a game where they were the superior side for most of it despite a massive physical disadvantage.

But while the Wallabies were bigger, it was clear from an early stage that Mike Ruddock’s men were considerably more skilled in the basic aspects of the game, from handling to precision tackling and this led to confident use of the ball with strike runners emerging from all angles.

Tighthead Adam Boland epitomised it all. He conceded a couple of dozen kilos to his opposite numbers but still out-scrummaged them in a magnificent display.

And flanker Conor Joyce, a flanker of some class on the ground or with ball in hand, also manifested the difference in skill levels between the sides.

And with Tom Daly and Thomas Farrell superb in the centre and Steve Crosbie composed with ball in hand, they had a winning formula.

Great win
“This was a great win, I think we left two or three tries out there but fair play to the boys for the way they closed it out. It is a great start,” said coach Mike Ruddock.

Australia, who apparently gave the Irish players plenty of lip in the tunnel as they came out, threw their weight around initially but a seventh minute Daly penalty put Ireland into a lead they never surrendered.

The opening try came after 26 minutes after Ireland had failed to finish a few promising moves, but prop Boland came in at a good angle in midfield and when it went wide on the right Rory Scholes and Adam Byrne as a decoy before he dived over in the corner. Daly slotted the difficult conversion. But the Wallabies struck back to leave it 10-8 at the break.

It looked as if a superb opening victory was going to turn into a nightmare as Australia piled on the pressure but the Irish scrum and defence held firm and Daly sealed a famous win with his fourth penalty. Ireland now face Fiji on Sunday and then New Zealand next Thursday.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1418424
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Friday 7th June 2013

..............Todays lucky dip !

Tele

Ulster must tame Tigers..................
Ulster and Leicester Tigers will renew hostilities in next season's Heineken Cup.

Having beaten Northampton Saints in the Twickenham final on May 25, the east Midlanders will travel to Belfast as 2013 Aviva Premiership champions.

But, in addition, they will come in the knowledge that Ravenhill has been a particularly unhappy and unproductive hunting ground for them in the past.

Leicester's two heaviest defeats in European club rugby's premier competition have been at Ulster's hands in Belfast.

On January 11, 2004, the Tigers were mauled 33-0 in a match which created history on two counts; not only was it Leicester's worst ever Heineken Cup defeat up to that point, it was the first time Ulster had ever lined out at Ravenhill on a Sunday.

Things went even worse for Leicester when they came calling once again eight years later. But if the date was unlucky for the Tigers, for Ulster supporters Friday, January 13, 2012 will live long in the memory for all the right reasons. They trounced their Premiership guests 41-7 that night.

In what is a very difficult foursome, Ulster and Leicester Tigers are the tier one and tier two sides respectively in Pool Five, with French side Montpellier and Italian franchise Treviso installed as the third and fourth tier teams.

It is worth noting that Montpellier – who reached the Top 14 play-offs at which stage they exited to Castres, the eventual winners – beat this year's Heineken Cup winners Toulon 23-3 in last season's group stage.

En route to the quarter-finals where they were beaten by Clermont, Montpellier also exploded the myth that French sides do not travel well, beating both Cardiff Blues and Sale home and away.

The Italians have been grouped with Ulster before. Back in 2001-02 Ulster scored a home and away European double at Treviso's expense, winning 33-28 at Stadio di Monigo and 59-3 in the return leg in Belfast.

It was the same story in 2005-06 when the sides met again – Ulster won 27-0 at home and 43-26 in Italy.

Treviso have improved somewhat in the interim, of course. They finished seventh of the dozen runners in last season's RaboDirect PRO12.

In the season before that they had created history when, on October 7, 2011, they became the first Italian side ever to beat Ulster. They did so in Belfast, too, with the hosts' 23-12 defeat being the lowest point in a damaging dip in form.

Interestingly, in the aftermath of his Leinster side's PRO12 final victory over Ulster at the RDS on May 25, now-Ireland coach Joe Schmidt singled out Treviso as outsiders when asked about possible top four finishers next term. They are no soft touch.

Ulster's Director of Rugby David Humphreys said: "It was never going to be easy but overall we are happy with the draw.

"Leicester, as reigning English Champions, will be a huge challenge.

"Montpellier we have never faced before, so this is an exciting prospect, and in terms of Treviso, we know them well – previous encounters have been tight so they are certainly a threat in the group."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 24752.html

Newsletter

Diack gets his first chance to make impression in Irish shirt................
ULSTER have a strong representation starting in this evening’s Emerging Ireland team which opens the Tibilisi Cup campaign against hosts, Georgia.

No 8 Robbie Diack will get the opportunity to pull on the green jersey for the first time in his career having qualified to play for Ireland.

The South African born backrow has been one of Ulster’s top performers this season and he was named as the Ulster players’ most improved player.

It was a bit of a surprise that Diack, who has played more at flanker this season with his Province, was not named on the senior Irish squad to tour North America this season.

Robert Herring, at hooker and Lewis Stevenson (second row) also start up front while in the backline, Michael Heaney has been given the nod at scrumhalf and Michael Allen opens in the centre.

All the Ulster players names are uncapped previously.

Ulster’s front row men, Niall Annett and Ricky Lutton are named on the bench, while Peter Nelson flew out to join the squad after Andrew Conway picked up a calf injury while training.

The Tibilisi Cup is a new annual tournament organised as part of the IRB’s ongoing strategy of increasing the competition schedule for tier two nations.

Ireland will also play a South African Presidents XV and Uraguay in the mini tournament.

Emerging Ireland coach, Allen Clarke, is looking forward to the game and the challenge of playing an experienced Georgian side in the opener.

“The squad has gelled and prepared well this week.

“It is a young side and there is huge potential there.

“The Georgian side are physical and we have to match that.

“But it is a challenge we are looking forward to and are ready to meet.

“The lads have trained and prepared very well and we are looking forward to the challenges that lie ahead,” added Clarke

IRELAND: David Kearney (Lansdowne/Leinster), Niall Morris (Leicester/Exiles), Eoin Griffin (Galwegians/Connacht), Michael Allen (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster), Tiernan O’Halloran (Galwegians/Connacht), Ian Keatley (Young Munster/Munster), Michael Heaney (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster); Jack McGrath (St. Mary’s/Leinster), Robert Herring (Ballynahinch/Ulster), Michael Bent (Leinster), Lewis Stevenson (Malone/Ulster), David Foley (UL Bohemian/Munster), Rhys Ruddock (St. Mary’s/Leinster), Capt, Dominic Ryan (Lansdowne/Leinster), Robbie Diack (Malone/Ulster).

Replacements: Niall Annett (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster), Richard Lutton (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster), 18- Ian Nagle (Cork Constitution/Munster), Jordi Murphy (Lansdowne/Leinster), John Cooney (Lansdowne/Leinster), Noel Reid (Clontarf/Leinster), Brendan Macken (Blackrock/Leinster).
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-5168123

Indo

The Texan young guns...................
LES KISS has been delving into the record books and reckons his team to face the USA tomorrow night is the least capped to take the field for Ireland in 50 years.

With 29 caps, Mike Ross is the most experienced international in a side that contains debutants in Robbie Henshaw and Stuart Olding and first starts for Ian Madigan, Dave Kilcoyne and Iain Henderson.

The 15 starters have an average age of 25 and 119 international appearances between them, while the bench also has three new faces with Mike Sherry, Jamie Hagan and Tommy O'Donnell set to win their first caps as replacements in Houston.

Joe Schmidt flies in to Texas tonight and his arrival may see an alteration in the jovial mood that has surrounded the Ireland camp this week. Come kick-off, the new era will have begun.

The US Eagles may be no world-beaters, but Ireland's interim coach believes they scent blood here among the novices in green. Still, Kiss had no hesitation in leaving experienced campaigners like Kevin McLaughlin and Andrew Trimble out of the squad altogether, hinting that there could be wholesale changes next week when his side face Canada.

CHANCE

"We expect that they feel there is a chance for them," the Australian said of the Americans, who have picked all of their big guns for the game.

"We just have to be aware of that and we're not in a position with three or four minutes to go, thinking, 'what's hit us here'. We need to be on top of our game from the whistle, it will be a tough test.

"The tour was mainly an opportunity on two fronts; for players to learn about what it is like to prepare for Test matches and also to be involved in Test matches on the pitch. The other side of that is for the coaching staff to be informed about what they are capable of.

"That is the opportunity I've given this week, but it doesn't leave anyone out of the picture for next week. There's a great situation in the camp at the moment, we're not carrying any injuries and everyone's fit. So, it is just a case of giving those opportunities and probably bringing a bit more experience into our team next week."

As well as giving caps to potentially five players, Kiss confirmed that Madigan would get a first start at out-half as a reward for his excellent form this season with Leinster.

The 24-year-old is winning his third cap, but it is his first in the No 10 jersey and Kiss has spoken to the pivot about the need for patience at Test level.

"It was important that Ian did get a start in the Test jersey at No 10. He's had a fantastic year," the coach said. "In terms of going into this game, I'm not asking him to be a person who creates magic, I'm asking him to be a 10 who understands the role at Test level.

"I want him to be a good, solid, consistent performer and have the patience to understand that it will take him a little longer to express his little darts and his other skill sets.

"If he plays to the game plan and gets to the place we want, then those opportunities will come. If he's patient, he'll find those opportunities."

Madigan will have new man Olding (20) beside him, a player who started the season hoping to make the grade for the U-20 side and finds himself in a senior jersey after just 15 appearances for Ulster. He expects the 10-12 channel to be a target for the Eagles' big runners like Todd Clever and Samu Manoa.

"All of the midfield players have had good seasons in their own rights and really held their own against some bigger guys, internationals and even Lions," he said. "I've really enjoyed playing with Ian. It's gone really well, it's our first time working together."

Agreement was close to being reached last night on water breaks and it looks likely that the game will stop at 20 and 60 minutes to allow the players take on fluids, with temperatures expected to be at 30 degrees at kick-off.

USA – C Wyles; L Hume, S Kelly, A Suniula, T Ngwenya; T L'Estrange, M Petri; S Pittman, C Biller, E Fry; B Doyle, L Stanfill; S Manoa, S Lavalla, T Clever (capt). Reps: Z Fenoglio, N Wallace, P Thiel, P Dahl, J Quill, R Shaw, J Paterson, A Siddall.

IRELAND – R Henshaw (Connacht); F McFadden (Leinster), D Cave (Ulster), S Olding (Ulster), S Zebo (Munster); I Madigan (Leinster), I Boss (Leinster); D Kilcoyne (Munster), R Strauss (Leinster), M Ross (Leinster); M McCarthy (Leinster), D Toner (Leinster); I Henderson (Ulster), C Henry (Ulster), P O'Mahony (capt, Munster). Reps: M Sherry (Munster), J Hagan (London Irish), T Court (Ulster), D Tuohy (Ulster), T O'Donnell (Munster), P Marshall (Ulster), P Jackson (Ulster), F Jones (Munster).
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/t ... 27014.html

Examiner
But after the Ireland interim coach announced he had opted for the Leinster player ahead of Paddy Jackson, he called on Madigan to get the basics right and avoid trying to be a “magic man”.

Madigan will be under scrutiny from incoming coach Joe Schmidt and it’ll be a big night also for debutants Stuart Olding and Robbie Henshaw at centre and full-back respectively.

“I was over the moon when I heard from Les that I was going to start,” said Olding who added that his parents would be in attendance as well.

“At the start of the season I was just preparing for the U20 interpros and hoping to go to the Junior World Cup. It has been a big year for myself and I’m hoping to make the most of the opportunity.

“When people get injured in your position, your attention goes straight to that. It is never nice to see anyone get injured, especially your teammates. I’m just delighted to have got the opportunity and happy with how it’s been going.”

It’s been a whirlwind season for Olding who made his first ever start for Ulster against the Ospreys before Christmas, although that was at fly-half rather than at 12, where he will line out in Houston tomorrow night.

“I was quite nervous before that but when my second and third games came along I really just got into the groove of it… At the minute it’s just about experience and getting out there on the pitch and trying to take as much as I can from each game but hopefully in the next couple of years I’ll be able to settle on a position.”

Kiss pointed out that Olding and Connacht full-back Henshaw were being rewarded for impressive seasons with their first caps.

“The tour from the beginning was an opportunity,” he said.

“Robbie was involved in the Six Nations and was there or thereabouts when we had a huge injury rate. He has done exceptionally well in the full-back role. Stuart has come home like a train this season, he had a fantastic end to the season and is deserving of the opportunity.”

Meanwhile, Kiss will be hoping Madigan will be a calm presence in the middle of what he called the “least capped Ireland team for 50 years”.

“It was important that Ian did get a start in the Test jersey at 10. He’s had a fantastic year, I’m asking him to be a 10 who understands the role at Test level. It will be different for him, I’m not asking him to try and be a magic man, I want him to be a good, solid, consistent performer.”
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/kiss ... 33514.html

Times
Stuart Olding and Robbie Henshaw to make Ireland debuts in Houston

A changing of the guard was inevitable this summer but the most glaring statistic is more than a little worrying. The starting XV Les Kiss fields against the USA tomorrow will have a combined total of just 119 caps.

That makes it the least experienced Ireland team since a XV with 86 caps combined were beaten 16-0 by England at Twickenham on February 10th, 1962. Test match virgins that day included Willie John McBride and Ray McLoughlin but there were casualties as well. Not many remember Laurence L’Estrange or Francis Gilpin.

There will be just two debutants in Houston but Connacht fullback Robbie Henshaw (who turns 20 next week) and Ulster’s inside centre Stuart Olding are clearly picked on form.

Ian Madigan, David Kilcoyne and Iain Henderson are also making their first starts in a team led by the reassuringly combative Peter O’Mahony.

Drop off
To provide further context to the drop off in experience, take the France game in Dublin on March 9th. Despite Ronan O’Gara being dropped and Gordon D’Arcy injured, the starting XV still boasted 494 caps.

The only survivors are O’Mahony, Mike McCarthy, Mike Ross and Fergus McFadden.

Paddy Jackson makes the bench behind Leinster’s player of the season, Ian Madigan.

“I’m not asking Ian to be a person who creates magic,” said Kiss. “I’m asking him to be a 10 that understands the role at Test level. I’m asking him to be a good, solid, consistent performer and have the patience to know it will take a little bit longer to express his little darts and skill-sets. But they will come if we play the game plan.”

The bench also lacks exposure to international rugby, although Mike Sherry, Jamie Hagan and Tommy O’Donnell have earned this opportunity.

Kiss went for Felix Jones over Andrew Trimble at number 23, with Ulster’s top try-scoring winger sure to earn his 50th cap as a starter in Toronto tomorrow week.

“The tour is mainly an opportunity for players to be informed about what it takes to prep for Test matches and then to be experience it on the pitch and to inform the coaching staff what the players are capable of.”

Sharpened talons
Still, with 10 frontliners on the Lions tour in Australia, the US Eagles are looking down from their perch with sharpened talons. Head coach Mike Tolkin has selected the four returning Europe-based players and an all-professional backrow of Samu Manoa, Scott LaValla and Japan-based captain Todd Clever.

Some 18,000 tickets have been sold for the BBVA Compass stadium in downtown Houston, locally known as “The Oven” by Dynamo soccer fans.

The weather conditions cannot be overstated. It will be 30-plus degrees come the 7.45pm kick-off (1.45am Irish time, live on TG4) and the humidity is always stifling.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1419894

9(9) :roll: reasons Willie John McBride is the greatest Lion of them all...................
http://www.thescore.ie/willie-john-mcbr ... 7-Jun2013/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Saturday 15th June 2013

Examiner

Trimble’s ambition...................
Andrew Trimble could never have imagined his 50th cap would arrive like this.
The Ulster winger is thousands of miles from Test rugby significance and even his own father has chosen the Lions tour above the chance to see his son’s half-century racked up at the BMO Stadium in Toronto.

“He’s got bigger fish to fry,” laughs Trimble, naturally understanding his father would opt for a rugby excursion to Australia over Canada.

Trimble’s priority is much more personal: 50 caps or not, incoming coach Joe Schmidt needs a signal of intent from the 27-year-old at a time when depth of talent in and around the Irish back three is starting to bubble up.

“I just want my rugby to be very uncomplicated,” he responded when asked if he would be knocking on Schmidt’s door to argue his case. “Play as well as I can if I get picked. That takes everything else out of it.

“I had one or two conversations with Declan Kidney throughout the season. I wouldn’t want to say too much. But I think I was fairly clear what I had to do.

“But to be honest, whether it’s Kissy, Deccie or Joe or whoever it is trying to tell me what I have to do to get in, they can only tell me what I already know.

“I know my game better than anybody. I know my strengths and I know my weaknesses.

“It’s just about working on things that I’m not so good at naturally and trying to build on the things I do well and get that into my game.”

He was Ulster’s player of the year this past season and is at that age where he should be at the peak of his powers. “I was really pleased with how things were going in Ulster. I think maybe not being involved with Ireland helped me with Ulster. I had that luxury. I was able to concentrate on one thing and that made it very simple and straightforward. I had to get the job done.”

He’s used to the rollercoaster of a top level sporting career. A year before the 2009 Grand Slam, Trimble was riding high, partnering Brian O’Driscoll in midfield and looking like his future was mapped out. A leg injury sparked a series of setbacks that saw him miss that year’s tour Down Under and he subsequently slid out of favour when Declan Kidney took over.

By the time that memorable and victorious campaign rolled around the following year, he was 24 and firmly sidelined with more injury setbacks to come. Ever since he has been in and out, watching the next best young players arrive with those same aspirations he remembered were his own back when he made his international debut in March 2006 against Wales in the Six Nations at the age of 21.

“It’s not the way I want to do things but the fact that it’s ended up like that, I’m quite proud of myself because i know it’s difficult to come back whenever things aren’t going well. I pride myself on being able to dig in whenever things aren’t going the way you’d planned them.

“I don’t want to be that player that every time you come back, you have to do it again but fortunately now I have the chance again and I want to make sure I really grab it.”

And yes, it did cross his mind that maybe it all arrived a little too quickly. “Especially whenever there are guys younger than you getting picked, a good bit younger. The tendency is to move on and bring the young guys through.

“I’m just very stubborn and want to get back in there, dig my heels in and make it as difficult as possible to be dropped. Just be as competitive as I can be. There are players coming through 22, 23. But I don’t feel like I’m old. I feel like I should be moving into my prime.

“Maybe, like you said, I’ve played the best rugby of my career last year for Ulster. Certainly one of the best seasons of my career. That’s where I feel I’m at.”

Of course, it took the Lions call-up of one of those next-big-things, Simon Zebo, to put Trimble in line for his landmark achievement.

“It’s been a long season. There’s been ups and downs so to get my 50th, I’m absolutely delighted. I’m really looking forward to it. It’s a one-off against Canada. I’d have loved for it to have been a Six Nations game or straight after it in the Autumn but this is my chance, this is my opportunity so I really want to take it.”
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/

Times

Ireland will look for lineout improvement as Andrew Trimble earns 50th cap................
Nobody in the Ireland camp wants John Moonlight to be a name that seeps into the national sporting consciousness. With that in mind Les Kiss shelved some pre-tour plans of sharing the load for tonight’s game in the magnificent city of Toronto.

We shouldn’t single out the Canadian openside just because his name dances off the page, but it must be noted Moonlight is one of nine home-based, amateur players in Kieran Crowley’s starting XV. Four of the six professionals played in the British and Irish Cup this season. Jebb Sinclair, a flanker playing lock here, is a proven performer for London Irish and Western Province but Taylor Paris hardly set the Pro 12 alight for Glasgow.

Paris, however, is one of several Sevens players who are genuine threats in open field and the place-kicking of Bedford fullback James Pritchard must be respected.

Ireland coughed up just six penalties in last Saturday’s 15-12 victory in sticky Houston conditions. The lineout malfunctioned but the scrum and Ian Madigan’s place kicking proved just enough. Devin Toner has recovered from illness – 11 players had stomach bugs after the three-hour flight last Sunday – to retain his towering role in a lineout that must be fixed (four of the first six throws were lost versus the US). Richardt Strauss’ all-round ability meant he too is allowed to atone.

But the Irish scrum should be able to squeeze the life out of Canada, as it did the US, even with Dave Kilcoyne making way for Tom Court.

The retention of Madigan is damaging for Paddy Jackson’s international aspirations but it is a form selection of a player who is three years further along in his development. Jackson is due off the bench but what does Kiss do in a one-score game as the 70 minute mark approaches? Madigan’s partnership with Isaac Boss is also seen by the coaching ticket as essential if Ireland are to prevail.

They made enough changes, most interestingly being the arrival of new flankers in Tommy O’Donnell and Kevin McLaughlin. This pair have more than proven themselves for Munster and Leinster this season but that standard must be transferred to the Test arena; that means O’Donnell’s physicality at the breakdown and McLaughlin showing Iain Henderson how a blindside should time his carries for maximum impact.

If that happens, and Toner sorts the set-piece, a few restart lifts last week were also mistimed, then James Downey can carry his big frame up the guts.

Half century :red:
Andrew Trimble, winning his 50th cap, looks the most potent strike runner, well, judging from the levels of consistency he reached for Ulster after being dropped by Ireland. “I was really pleased with how things were going in Ulster,” said Trimble. “I think not being involved with Ireland helped me. I was able to concentrate on one thing and that made it very straightforward. I had to get the job done.

“I’m quite proud of myself because I know it’s difficult to come back whenever things aren’t going well. I pride myself on being able to dig in whenever things aren’t going the way you’d planned them.”

Canada may lack the marquee players of the USA but their collective should provide a sterner challenge. They held Tonga’s kamikaze attack, and tackling, even surviving a mass brawl, to win 36-27.

The presumption is Matt Evans and Sinclair have recovered from atrociously high tackles and a punch that left both concussed. Crowley is a wily coach, and a former All Black selector, even if it looks like Sevens rugby under Gareth Rees is slowly taking precedence as it is an Olympic “carded” sport in Canada.

All told, Ireland should win pulling up. Never mind it’s the last game of a long season (sure, only for Dan Carter’s late drop goal they would have caught the All Blacks on this weekend in 2012) or the stomach bugs, if they release the straps a little, and secure quick ball then 15 professionals beats six every time.

Even on this long hot summer’s night.

IRELAND: F Jones; F McFadden, D Cave, J Downey, A Trimble; I Madigan, I Boss; T Court, R Strauss, M Ross; D Tuohy, D Toner; K McLaughlin, T O’Donnell, P O’Mahony (capt). Replacements: S Cronin, D Kilcoyne, D Fitzpatrick, M McCarthy, C Henry, P Marshall, P Jackson, R Henshaw.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1429509

WRU

Taxi......................Kyriacou takes up coaching role................
The Cardiff Blues have announced former hooker Andi Kyriacou will assist their coaching team following his retirement through injury.

Kyriacou joined the Blues from Ulster in the summer of 2012 and made his debut in the 13-9 win over Connacht in Galway in September. A prolapsed disc injury suffered early on in his Blues career meant he had to undergo surgery just before Christmas and sadly, he has failed to recover from the condition.

The Liverpool born hooker began his career with Sale and Leeds, before spending five seasons at Saracens after signing in 2004. He then enjoyed an impressive loan spell with Munster during the 2006/07 season and moved from Saracens to Ulster in the pre-season of 2009/10.

Speaking of his retirement Kyriacousaid:"It is really disappointing that I have to retire from playing. Unfortunately I've failed to recover from the prolapsed disc I suffered and have had to retire following advice from the medical team.

"It is really frustrating as I came to the Blues with the intention of working to establish myself as a regular first team player and wanted to make a real impression so it's disappointing my injury has stopped me from doing this.

"I've been studying part time at Manchester Metropolitan University for a degree in Sport Science as I wanted to develop a career in coaching, so it's come about sooner than I expected."
Kyriacou's announcement comes in the same week that former Blues coach Xavier Rush announced his decision to leave the region.

"This is a great opportunity for me and I am looking forward to working with Phil and the coaching team," added Kyriacou.

"I will be concentrating on the scrummaging area, working closely with Phil with the lineouts and position specific skills with the hookers.

"I've been fortunate to have worked with some brilliant coaches throughout my career and would like to thank them for believing in me.

"I've made some lifelong friends along the way and will treasure the memories I can take from my time as a player.

"I'd like to say a special word of thanks to my wife and family who have supported me throughout my career and also to the Cardiff Blues players, coaches and medical team who have been great with me since I joined and during my time with injury."
http://www.wru.co.uk/eng/news/27223.php#.UbwkuEJOOP8
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Sunday 16th June 2013
RoryBest.jpg
RoryBest.jpg (70.56 KiB) Viewed 2981 times
IRFU

:red: Best To Captain Lions Against Brumbies..................
Rory Best will become the third Ireland player to captain the British & Irish Lions during the 2013 tour when he leads them out against the ACT Brumbies on Tuesday.

Rob Kearney and Sean O'Brien join Rory Best as the Irish contingent named in the Lions' starting line-up for the Canberra clash, while Munster backs Conor Murray and Simon Zebo are listed among the replacements.
Lions head coach Warren Gatland has sprung a major surprise by drafting in Shane Williams, the two-try hero from the third Test win over South Africa in 2009, to help out his injury-hit squad.

Williams, although retired from lining out for Wales, still plays club rugby for Japanese side Mitsubishi Dynaboars and he will start in a very unexpected back-three combination with Kearney, making his first start of the tour at full-back, and young England flyer Christian Wade.

The 36-year-old Welsh wing wizard last featured on the international stage when he featured for the Barbarians against Wales last year.

Wade, meanwhile, and his England colleagues Billy Twelvetrees and Brad Barritt have been parachuted straight into the team by Gatland after they were called up due to a lengthening injury list in the backs division.

Ireland's Tommy Bowe (broken hand) is among the on-going injury worries for the tourists, along with George North (tight hamstring) and Manu Tuilagi (shoulder).

Bowe's Ulster team-mate Best will lead the Lions from the front row. It will be his second start of the tour.

The 30-year-old hooker is the third Irishman to take on the Lions captaincy role in recent weeks, following in the footsteps of Paul O'Connell (v Barbarians) and Brian O'Driscoll (v Western Force and Combined NSW-QLD Country).

In other news, Welsh centre Jamie Roberts will have a scan today after limping out of Saturday's win over the NSW Waratahs with a right leg injury.

BRITISH & IRISH LIONS Team & Replacements (v ACT Brumbies, 2013 British & Irish Lions Tour, Canberra Stadium, Canberra, Tuesday, June 18, kick-off 7.40pm local time/10.40am Irish time):

15. Rob Kearney (Leinster/Ireland)
14. Christian Wade (London Wasps/England)
13. Brad Barritt (Saracens/England)
12. Billy Twelvetrees (Gloucester/England)
11. Shane Williams (Mitsubishi Dynaboars/Wales)
10. Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors/Scotland)
9. Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers/England)
1. Ryan Grant (Glasgow Warriors/Scotland)
2. Rory Best (Ulster/Ireland) (capt)
3. Matt Stevens (Saracens/England)
4. Ian Evans (Ospreys/Wales)
5. Richie Gray (Scotland)
6. Sean O'Brien (Leinster/Ireland)
7. Justin Tipuric (Ospreys/Wales)
8. Toby Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons/Wales)

Replacements:

16. Richard Hibbard (Ospreys/Wales)
17. Alex Corbisiero (London Irish/England)
18. Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers/England)
19. Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers/England)
20. Dan Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons/Wales)
21. Conor Murray (Munster/Ireland)
22. Owen Farrell (Saracens/England)
23. Simon Zebo (Munster/Ireland)
http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/29384.php
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Monday 17th June 2013

Indo

Bowe nearing return to add another string to Gatland's back division...................
TOMMY BOWE is on course to be fit and available for the Lions in time for the second Test in Melbourne on June 29.

Lions coach Warren Gatland even went as far as to suggest the Ireland and Ulster winger might have been available for this weekend's opening encounter against Australia in Brisbane. The risk in rushing him back was not deemed necessary.

"Tommy is out of the cast and now it's a case of allowing the wound to heal," said Gatland.

"There was an outside chance of him being available for Saturday but the medics are confident he will be fully right in time for that game in Melbourne."

Bowe has yet to return to full training but is expected to be back this week which will be a marvellous fillip to the Lions side as attentions finally begin to zero in on the three-game Test series.

The winger was at the Sydney Football Stadium on Saturday night with his hand in a cast but he was clearly in good spirits.

Paul O'Connell was otherwise engaged on Saturday night as he put in yet another herculean performance for the Lions and further enhanced his reputation.

More..........
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 49564.html

Gatland defends Williams call as Best takes armband for Brumbies clash.....................
RORY BEST'S delight at captaining the Lions against the Brumbies in Canberra tomorrow night will be tempered by the realisation that he is unlikely to be involved in the first Test on Saturday – despite coach Warren Gatland's insistence that there will be players involved both tomorrow and at the weekend.

The Ulster hooker was maintaining a positive outlook – "it's a massive honour for me to be captaining the side" – but being named captain of the midweek team is a poisoned chalice in many respects.

Best's call-up to the Lions squad is an example of what can happen at a moment's notice and the possibility of another late twist is something he is clinging to ahead of tomorrow night's game.

"I think until the Test side is announced you have to believe you're in with a chance," said Best.

"Tuesday night is another opportunity to put your hand up and make the coaches sit up and take notice. The opportunity is there for us. Warren has said that the Test side isn't picked, that players will be involved Tuesday and Saturday and that is the motivation for us all.

"The way I look at it is that you're in the shirt on Tuesday night. It's a tough ask but you have a chance to stay in the shirt with your performance. We'll all give it our best shot and see what comes of it."

More..........
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 49575.html

Newsletter
Rory Best will captain the British and Irish Lions side to take on the Brumbies on Tuesday in their last tour game before Saturday’s First test against Australia.

The Ulster and Ireland hooker described the accolade as “an honour” after being called up as a late replacement for banned England player Dylan Hartley.

Irish full back Rob Kearney has recovered from injury and has also been named in the starting line up against the Brumbies along with flanker Sean O’Brien.

Meanwhile Wales wing George North is currently rated as “less than 50-50” to be fit for next Saturday’s first Test match against Australia in Brisbane, but Ulster’s Tommy Bowe could come into contention.

Lions’ Head Coach Warren Gatland delivered an upbeat injury assessment on Bowe, who broke his hand playing against Queensland Reds eight days ago and underwent surgery.

“He is out of the cast. It is healing well,” Gatland said.

“At an outside chance he could be available for (next) Saturday, but what they (medics) are saying is it is more likely he will be back training and available for the second Test.”

More.........
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-5190415

TheScore

Lesson for Lions: When Ulster beat Campese, Lynagh and Australia .......................
Davy Irwin, who captained Ulster on that famous day in 1984, shares his memories of defeating the Wallabies.
WE ARE LESS than a week away from the First Test between the British and Irish Lions and Australia in Brisbane.

While the Lions had a winning tradition over the Wallabies over the course of their 125-year history, the hosts clinched [2-1] the last series to be contested between the two sides.

If Warren Gatland and his men are in need of any inspiration ahead of the three-Test series, they could do worse than talk to some of the Ulster team that defeated Australia in 1984. Former Ulster captain Davy Irwin, now the club doctor at the northern province, tells TheScore.ie about a day to remember at Ravenhill:

I was 20-years-old and uncapped for Ulster – having cried off from playing and end-of-season game – when I went on the 1979 tour to Australia. Mike Gibson also featured on that tour. He was old enough to be my Dad, as I told him on a few occasions.

I played in midweek games and was on the bench for the two Tests, which Ireland won, but those were the days when you didn’t come off the pitch unless you were half dead. Ollie Campbell was great in those two games. It was a good baptism to international rugby for me.

In 1984, Australia were a decent side and they would go on to win a Grand Slam on the tour, beating England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland. The Aussies had defeated England and Ireland when they arrived at Ravenhill but we fancied our chances.

We had Trevor Ringland and Keith Crossan, who were part of the Irish Triple Crown team in 1982. We also had Nigel Carr, Willie Anderson, Phil Matthews, Brian McCall, Steve Smith and lads that would come through to play in the 1985 Triple Crown team. That Ulster team, from 1984 to 1990 played 21 interpro games and won 20 of them.”

Winning pedigree

“We had some pedigree when it came to knocking over international teams. We had previously beaten Canada, Samoa, Fiji and Italy. Australia would be the biggest challenge. They lined up with Michael Lynagh in the centre and were captained by Michae Hawker. David Campese came off the bench early in the second-half.

It was a competitive game up front and every time we could put them under pressure and force mistakes, penalties Ian Brown, then Philip Rainey punished them. Rainey got a drop goal and we led 6-3 at the break. We expected them to fight back and they duly did after the break and got a good score [by Peter Grigg].

“We had a fantastic inner confidence about us and were not flustered by falling behind [13-6]. We kept working away up front and Brown got another couple of penalties.

It was Campese that conceded the penalty at the end. Philip stepped up for that one. It was close to the halfway line [47 metres out] and near the touchline but Philip made a great connection and over it went. I can’t remember too many stand-out incidents in the final seven minutes but I do know it was all hands on deck to keep Australia out. The crowd support was great that day; that really helped.

Four years ago, the 1984 team met up for a 25-year anniversary dinner of the famous win. Here are some of the highlights:

Vids...........
http://www.thescore.ie/lions-ulster-bea ... 3-Jun2013/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Monday 17th June .............Cont'd

RugbyFanCast
If you’d watched Ulster play three or four years ago, you’d be forgiven for not being sure what you were going to get. To change a quote from Forrest Gump – “Ulster are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get.” It was a burden on Ulster’s fans and coaching staff. The inconsistency shown by the Ulstermen week in week out was not ideal for a side that really wanted to be pushing for silverware.

After winning the Celtic League in 2005/06, Ulster never really built on that, and the fans had to watch on in something close to horror as their team tumbled down the league standings year after year, finishing in fifth, ninth, eighth and eighth in the next four seasons. The frustration coming from Belfast was undeniable.

Ulster are improving though. After reaching the semi-finals of the Pro12 in 2010/11, a first Heineken Cup final since 1999 came a season later, and although it resulted in a massacre at the hands of provincial rivals Leinster, it was yet another learning curve for the Ulstermen. And finally this season yielded a first Pro12 final for Ulster. And again, even though it resulted in a loss to Leinster (this time a lot closer), it marked yet another step forward in Ulster’s development.

Upon taking over as CEO of Ulster Rugby, Shane Logan set the simple task of “world domination” for his new rugby club. Obviously this is not a literal goal, but it emphasises how much these Ulster players and staff wish to succeed. A plan has been put in place for Ulster to finally achieve their ultimate goal – to be competing in both the Heineken Cup and RaboDirect Pro12 every season, and to have a genuine chance of winning both.

Ask Logan now where he believes Ulster are, and despite the successes on-field he would say that his side are only halfway there. The first team is just one part of the whole organisation – Logan is aiming to have a strong team throughout the entire system, from schools’ teams right up to the senior sides so that Ulster can compete in the future too.

That’s one of the reasons why Mark Anscombe was hired as coach back in July 2012. Anscombe bought into Logan’s plan and has implemented it into his senior team by playing as many young players in it. And it is paying off. Luke Marshall and Stuart Olding have both made their first Ireland starts this season, while Iain Henderson is establishing himself as Stephen Ferris’ back-up at blindside flanker. There is no denying that Anscombe’s team has a youthful spine to it.

The development goes further than the team however – it is about spreading the brand. The more supporters that Ulster have, the bigger the organisation is. While for the fans it is a side that can be supported, it must be remembered that the club is still a business that must generate money, and the easiest way is by getting supporters through the gates on a regular basis.

A brand new 18,000 capacity stadium should help this goal no end. With money provided from the Northern Irish government, Ravenhill is getting two new stands and a brand new grandstand which will boost the capacity by over 7,000. And this is proof of Ulster’s development as a team.

People will pay more attention to a side that is being successful than one that is languishing at the bottom of the table. With Ulster’s success, more fans will want to attend matches and cheer on the team. With more seats at Ravenhill, Ulster will now be able to bring more fans to games and therefore generate more money.

Ulster are expanding not just as a team, but as a rugby club. From right down at U16 level all the way up to the international stars of Ruan Pienaar, Rory Best and Tommy Bowe, Ulster have improved immensely since those eighth and ninth place finishes of previous seasons. And with the funding put in place by Logan this looks like it will continue.

Under the tutelage of Anscombe, the young players will continue to develop themselves as well. The New Zealander will want to build on his first season in charge of his adopted province and go one step further in the league next season and to certainly get out of the pool stages of the Heineken Cup. In order to maintain the strong depth he has created at Ulster, expect to see more young players introduced to the squad next season.

With a bit more experience in big matches, Ulster will be there as one of the sides that everybody fears, along with the likes of Clermont, Leinster and Leicester. In the last two years Ulster have fallen at the final hurdle to teams that have already been there and done it. The more big games that Ulster play in, the more they will be used to them, and eventually one will deservedly go their way.

Ulster are still developing as a club. Unfortunately for other teams, they can only get better…
http://www.rugbyfancast.com/2013/06/blo ... -at-ulster

Times

Joyce / Scholes / Taylor / Donnan
Ireland coach Mike Ruddock has made a number of changes to the side that lost narrowly 31-26 to New Zealand for tomorrow night’s IRB Under-20 World Championship game against France (7.15, live on TG4).

Rory Scholes switches from left wing to fullback while Northampton Saints academy prospect Alex Wootton will make his debut having been called out during the tournament to replace the injured Tom Daly. Darren Sweetham replaces Adam Byrne on the right wing.

Up front former Clongowes schoolboy Bryan Byrne starts at hooker with Sean McCarthy coming in to partner John Donnan in the secondrow and Ryan Murphy named at number eight with Conor Joyce switching to blindside flanker.

Ireland U-20: Rory Scholes (Belfast Harlequins /Ulster); Darren Sweetnam (UCC/Munster), Thomas Farrell (Lansdowne/Leinster), Rory Scannell (Dolphin/Munster), Alex Wootton (Northampton Saints/ Exiles); Steve Crosbie (Old Belvedere/Leinster), Luke McGrath (UCD/Leinster, capt); Peter Dooley (Lansdowne/Leinster), Bryan Byrne (UCD/Leinster), Christopher Taylor (Malone/Ulster); Sean McCarthy (Shannon/Munster), John Donnan (Ballynahinch/Ulster); Conor Joyce (Malone/Ulster), Josh Van Der Flier (UCD/Leinster), Ryan Murphy (Dolphin/Munster).
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1431870
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 18th June 2013

Times

Tommy Bowe ‘highly unlikely’ to be available for Lions’ first Test ..................
But winger back running as Jamie Roberts also looks set to miss out.
TB.jpg
TB.jpg (111.3 KiB) Viewed 2859 times
All will be revealed on Thursday, when both Test teams will be announced, but as with the Wallabies holding out the hope of Digby Ioane making a surprise recovery from his knee operation in time for Saturday’s game in Brisbane, similarly the Lions’ Dr James Robson yesterday declined to entirely rule out George North, Tommy Bowe or Jamie Roberts, although his views about the Welsh winger being ready for the fray seem to be far too optimistic.

Bowe, with a hand splint, was back running yesterday.

“He is doing very well. He will be re-assessed by the hand surgeon later this week,” said Robson, who added that “the IRB guidelines are very clear as to use of various (protective) materials. We will not allow Tommy Bowe to play unless we feel medically, he is able to.

“He had the fracture stabilised and we will give him a couple of weeks to decide. It is difficult, we give you a snapshot which is from when I last saw the players. Tommy is confounding us. He has good grip strength back and is very keen to go. The problem we might have with Tommy is reining him in a bit.”

More..............
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1432128
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 19th June 2013

Newsletter

Lions failed to front up against Brumbies: Rory Best.....................
Captain Rory Best delivered a brutally honest assessment on the performance of the British & Irish Lions in Canberra on Tuesday following their first loss of the current tour to Australia.

The Lions went down 14-12 to the Brumbies and there could be few realistic complaints from a team outgunned up-front for an hour before head coach Warren Gatland summoned reinforcements off the bench - including the replacement Best.

Ireland and Ulster hooker Best was still pressing his case for the opening Test match as a probable replacement.

Already under scrutiny at the lineout, Best gave a much improved performance but there were still a couple of wayward throws and it looks as though his replacement yesterday, Richard Hibbard will take the place on the bench behind Tom Youngs this weekend.

The 14-12 loss to The Brumbies was the Lions’ first loss to an Australian provincial since the defeat to Queensland 42 years ago and their first loss in five match on the current tour.

A disappointed Best said: “We came here confident we could win

“We knew it wasn’t going to an easy task. We talked about not just matching the physicality but beating their physicality, and we didn’t even match it.

“The breakdown, they really smashed us there, and that is very disappointing. The confidence started to go. Our mini units just sort of fell apart, and we lacked that little bit of composure.

“The disappointing thing for us was that we didn’t front up

“We’ve seen in the Reds and Waratahs games, there was a lot of physicality there and we were able to regroup after five or 10 minutes and bring our own edge to the game. Unfortunately today, we weren’t able to do that.”
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-5200150

PRO12

Captain Best holds his hands up after defeat...................
Ulster hooker Rory Best admitted the forwards must shoulder the blame after the British & Irish Lions lost their 100 per cent record in Australia, going down to the Brumbies just four days before the first Test with the Wallabies.

Stuart Hogg and Owen Farrell scored two penalties each for a much-changed and out-of-sorts Lions side but the Brumbies were never behind, scored the only try of the match through Tevita Kuridrani and ran out 14-12 winners with Jesse Hogg also kicking nine points.
With the first Test looming, a number of senior players were rested and there was an unfamiliar look to the three-quarter line which featured Billy Twelvetrees, Brad Barritt, Christian Wade and Shane Williams.

Hogg, playing at fly-half, also twice saw penalties hit the post but captain Best believes it's the pack which did not compete well enough with their Australian counterparts.

"We got physically beaten up, a bit nervy and all the credit to the Brumbies, they were hungrier than us right across the board," said Best, one of eight RaboDirect PRO12 players in the starting line-up.

"I don't think we're looking for an excuse, we brought in quality players and we had a quality team. We just got beaten up at the breakdown.

"If you can't secure that ball you're always going to be under pressure. I think the forwards should stand up and take the heat and deservedly so.

"I think we went in fresh, we had a good team run and were feeling very confident. We knew it was going to be a tough task but we just didn't turn up. Right from the very off they wanted it more. You have to give them massive credit for the way they played.

"We let our standards drop and it'll be up to the 15 and 23 this weekend to raise their game this weekend. We didn't want to lose the momentum we gained on this tour. We've done that and now we have to dust ourselves down and go from there."
http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/16703.php

Indo

Bowe a bundle of energy as he nears return......................
TOMMY BOWE was in great spirits around the Lions' team hotel in Canberra yesterday (Monday).

The Ulsterman will be fit in time for the second Test after breaking the index finger in his right hand playing in the game against Queensland Reds. His hand is still in a splint but he has returned to running and could, at a push, be available for this weekend's game against Australia.

It is more likely he will be held in reserve for the second Test in Melbourne and there was an extra bounce in his step around the hotel yesterday as a consequence. "Tommy is confounding us," said Lions team doctor James Robson. "He has good grip strength back. The problem we might have with Tommy is reining him in a bit!"

Dr Robson also insisted that Brian O'Driscoll was in good shape after "doing the splits" against Combined Country. "Brian is very well," said Dr Robson.

"As we get older you have to conserve your energies for the things that matter. There is no doubt about Brian for Saturday unless he falls over this afternoon!"
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 52299.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 20th June 2013

Tele

Has Rory Best become a victim of the yips?..................
Has Rory Best got the yips? That was the question being asked by Ulster supporters after what was supposed to have been a dream come true turned into a Canberra Stadium nightmare for Ireland's most capped hooker.

Entrusted with captaincy of the Lions' midweek side and asked to try to keep the tourists' hitherto unbeaten run going, Best was invited to make a case for his inclusion in the 23 for Saturday's opening Test against Australia.

With neither Richard Hibbard nor Tom Youngs having shone, the number two shirt was up for grabs. A big performance against Brumbies would have given Best's prospects a massive boost, but as was the case in his first two outings, the third, too, was a occasion on which he failed to do himself justice.

Inevitably social networks went into overdrive, the question being: does Rory bottle it when the heat is on?

The answer from sports psychologist Mark Elliott was: "I've worked with Rory since 2005 when he was reserve hooker with Ulster. As well as being mentally tough, he is one of the most intelligent athletes I've ever met."

Dismissing any suggestions of frailty on the player's part, he continued: "The mental game is the oil that lubricates technique so that the body is ready to do all that it has to do come game day.

"Rory's game didn't go well, but I think that might just have been one of those bad days at the office for the team as a whole and not just him as an individual. What matters most now is what he does to deal with what went wrong."

Highlighting Best's standing as a player, Elliott said: "I think it's important to remember that he must have been impressing to have been given the captaincy for this game, so while people on Twitter – who have probably never thrown a rugby ball in their lives – are saying awful things at the minute, I can't imagine the situation got the better of him.

"There can be a moment in a game that is pivotal and then it comes down to how you deal with it when something does go wrong.

"If you don't deal with that one – the first bad line-out throw or whatever – that can become the destructive domino. All the others start to fall because you can't get that one out of your mind, but Rory knows to move on.

"He's that sort of player, so he wouldn't be dwelling on it a whole lot. He'd be disappointed and he'd go through an emotion or two, but he's not going to rip himself apart. When teams lose, teams lose. Rory maybe didn't play to the level we know he can, but there are others in the equation as well.

"Here's the formula – performance equals capability minus interference. Your performance is the product of your capability, which is your technique and your physicality – strength, endurance etc. Then comes interference, which is the stuff that goes on between your ears, usually at crucial moments.

"The best performers in the world are the ones with a high 'C' factor and a low 'I'.

"Rory is one of the most mentally tough guys I have ever met, so I don't think it will have been a mental thing to any degree at all.

"People sometimes start saying things like that and then they begin to believe them so everything becomes magnified because they want to be able to put a label on somebody. This guy broke his neck, for goodness sake, and bounced back, so to question his mental strength is ridiculous.

"It's a team game. The team – of which he was part – had a bad day. It happens; you don't need to make a scapegoat of anybody."

Best's mental strength and self-belief will be tested afresh in the wake of having been captain when the Lions lost their first match of the tour and called ashore before the end of the third quarter with his side trailing 14-6.

It was only when the Lions changed four of their front five forwards that, finally, they began to play. The tourists' line-up featured players who boasted an aggregate of 580 Test caps. Brumbies, in contrast, had only 28 Tests between them. The bottom line is that the Lions just didn't turn up.

They have yet to see Rory at his best. Yet reality is while he's behind Hibbard and Youngs in the pecking order injury to either would see him in the Test 23. If the chance comes hopefully he'll do himself justice and the Lions proud.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 55902.html

RugbyWorld.Com

The Lions are yet to see Rory’s Best
A SHOCK omission from Warren Gatland’s original 37-man squad, Rory Best has had a rollercoaster past few weeks. Firstly there was the initial disappointment of missing out on a Lions trip for a second time, followed by the relief at being called up to replace the suspended Dylan Hartley. He was then given the honour of captaining the Lions against the ACT Brumbies in Canberra, yet now Best finds himself on the receiving end of fierce criticism as the Lions tasted defeat for the first time Down Under against Jake White’s impeccably organised team.

By Best’s own admission the performance wasn’t up to scratch, the Brumbies were “hungrier” in taking the game to the Lions. And while it’s not often helpful to isolate one area of the game, on this occasion eight lost lineouts are a pretty good indication of where it all went wrong for the Lions in Canberra, and for that Best has already shouldered a large share of the responsibility.

“We definitely got nervy and simple little units misfired. At this level if you can’t secure ball you will always be under pressure.”

Perhaps his troubles in the set-piece highlight the main reason for Gatland not selecting Best in the first place. The Ulster hooker had paid the price for Ireland’s disappointing Six Nations campaign and an indifferent performance in the Heineken quarter-final against Saracens at Twickenham, another big occasion on which Best had struggled with his darts to the detriment of Ulster.

Those of us who watch Best week in, week out at Ravenhill in the RaboDirect Pro12 and Heineken Cup are well aware of his qualities. Currently, his throwing admittedly make him a risky inclusion should he be required in the Tests, however, at his best the former Ulster and Ireland captain would feature in most conversations about genuinely world class hookers. There aren’t too many about, in truth.

Over the course of a season Best’s percentages throwing-in would stand up against most northern hemisphere hookers. But it is his apparent tendency to let his standards drop in pressure situations that provides a real worry for Gatland, and presumably Joe Schmidt also. During the Six Nations only 55% of lineouts reached their intended target as Ireland slipped to first ever Championship loss to Italy, and there were similar problems against England, France and Scotland.

Of course, the hooker is often the scapegoat, but collectively the pack will take responsibility for their set-piece woes against the Brumbies. To place blame solely on the hooker is to misunderstand the complexities of the modern lineout. Any number of things can go wrong in this complex aspect of the game, and we must also credit the opposition for their effective spoiling plays.

Tom Youngs looks odds-on to grab a Test jersey this weekend but even his throwing is questionable. And Richard Hibbard, for his part, had excelled during the Six Nations but has also found the going tough on tour at times. So with Best third in line and with injuries racking up, there is still a possibility that he could yet feature in the Tests. And should he be called upon, I’d back him to overcome his nerves in a pressure situation and play a pivotal role for the Lions as he has done countless times for province and country.
http://www.rugbyworld.com/news/blogs/li ... orys-best/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Friday 21st June 2013

RygbyFanCast

The Inside Centre Dilemma at Ulster............
At the start of the 2012/13 season you would have been forgiven for selecting an Ulster team with relative ease – there was a large gap between the top players and those who would fill in for them during internationals. However, during the season that all changed with many young players breaking through and those regular squad fillers playing a bigger role in the Ulster set-up.

With the introduction of Mark Anscombe as the new head coach, it gave everybody a chance to start over and prove themselves once more. Look no further than Robbie Diack who struggled to make the bench while Brian McLaughlin was in charge, yet now he is Stephen Ferris’ understudy at blindside flanker for Mark Anscombe. The change in his fortunes is remarkable.

However, one of the places where Ulster now find themselves with great depth is inside centre. At the start of the season there was a clear front-runner for the starting 12 shirt – Paddy Wallace. But as the season went on it was clear that Wallace was not the only one vying for the starting jersey, and through injuries, two more contenders had emerged by the time May rolled round.

After Wallace was ruled out early on in the season, it gave Luke Marshall, who had already laid the foundations last season, to push on and stake his claim for him to take Wallace’s place. Marshall certainly took his chance well and caught the eye of the Ireland selectors, giving him the chance to impress on the international stage as well.

Wallace did return but was injured again against Glasgow in the Pro12. With Marshall away with Ireland, and struggling with a concussion he’d picked up in the Six Nations against France, it meant Ulster had to turn to 20-year old Stuart Olding who would fill in for Marshall while he was recovering. The inexperience of the young centre was rather worrying for Ulster fans though.

But Olding played like he had been in the side all season, playing with composure and skill that surprised everybody. In fact, he played so well he kept his place in the team right up until the end of the season and started the Pro12 final against Leinster. His incredible form resulted in a call up to the Ireland squad for the tour of the Americas over the summer, and it was fully deserved.

This poses Anscombe and his coaching staff with a very big question for next season. This year, at the business end of the season, we didn’t see all three players fully fit and competing for the position. This season the coaches will be looking to have Wallace, Marshall and Olding fighting it out for the jersey and bringing out the best in each other.

However, which one starts? All three are very talented footballers and bring their own individual skills to the rugby pitch, and they will cause a massive selection headache for the big matches. Undoubtedly we will see all three at various times during the season in different games, but which one will play in the biggest matches in the Heineken Cup and Pro12 is a quandary.

Stuart Olding offers an alternative as he can play fly-half and full-back too, but with Jared Payne and Paddy Jackson impressing in their respective positions it seems likely that both of them will keep their spots in the team for next season. Paddy Wallace also has experience at 10 and 15 but Ulster fans will have painful memories of him in both of those positions, and would prefer he remains in the middle of the park.

All three are perfectly capable of filling in the inside centre role and it’s a position that all three have become very experienced in, even Stuart Olding in the few months that he had the 12 shirt has grown remarkably as a player, benefited by a start in the Pro12 final. All three have played internationally for Ireland and Marshall and Olding both have exciting careers for Ireland ahead of them. They are all very strong players.

No matter which player starts at 12 for Ulster next season, Mark Anscombe knows that he has plenty of talent and experience in depth at inside centre and he can rely on his back up players to be there in times of injury and internationals. It’s a good position for Ulster to be in and with the players that have been away with the Ireland U20 team in France it shows that this position is one that could be replicated for seasons to come.
http://www.rugbyfancast.com/2013/06/blo ... -at-ulster

BBC

Hidden problems and dangers of steroid abuse.....................
Young rugby players, some in their teens, are using anabolic steroids to bulk up, a doctor has told a Radio Ulster documentary.

The Ulster branch of the Irish Rugby Football Union says steroids are not an issue among its players, who are randomly tested for banned substances.

Londonderry GP Eamon Doohan said steroid use "can be an issue in rugby, particularly in younger players, guys in their late teens and early twenties who are looking to bulk up to get to the same level as a 35-year-old forward who's pushing them around in the scrum".

"That cohort of young men can be attracted to it. But it's infinitesimally small compared with the numbers who are involved in bodybuilding."

The claim was made in an investigation into the use of steroids in gyms in Northern Ireland.

The Chief Medical Officer Michael McBride says 1.4% of the population in Northern Ireland have admitted using steroids, but that the issue is under-reported.

"People who use anabolic steroids don't see themselves as having a health problem or a drug misuse problem," said Dr McBride.

"They don't routinely access those services that we provide for individuals who are using other drugs."

David Hanna is a personal trainer based in Belfast. He says some other personal trainers are supplying their clients with the drugs.

"You have to question these trainers as to why they're trying to talk their clients into taking steroids," he said.

"Obviously, they're not providing the proper training and the proper nutritional advice. It's basically cheating and a short-term fix."

David says there has been a major change in the type of people using steroids since he first started working in gyms 20 years ago.

"Back then the only sort of people who could get their hands on steroids were dodgy characters, paramilitary-type people," he said. Whereas now it's vastly widespread, there are 17, 18-year-olds taking them."

Having steroids for personal use is not illegal, but anyone importing, selling or supplying the drugs to another person, without a prescription, is committing a criminal offence.

Dr Gareth Davison is an academic at the University of Ulster. He says there is a range of side effects that can be experienced by anyone using steroids.

"They can change mood state; there is a chemical imbalance in the brain that can lead to irrational behaviour," said Dr Davison.

"Steroids can also cause quite severe acne, hair loss, left ventricular hypertrophy, which is an increase in the heart, kidney dysfunction and liver dysfunction.

"And then of course the ultimate side effect is death. There have been a number of reports from across the body building world of steroid users who have died as a result of taking too much anabolic steroids over a prolonged period of time."

Jamie Burke is a competitive strength athlete and steroid user. He believes he can manage the risks to his health.

"I try to use in a very measured and progressive way as part of an overall programme," he said.

"I have my training component, my nutritional component, I have my supplementation component and then I have a steroid and chemical component.

"I don't use excessive dosages, I use what I need to achieve the results I want to get and I do it under a supervised manner. A lot of the side effects have come to people because they're not using sensibly."

But Stevie Miller has another story to tell.

His weight went from 12 stone to 21 stone in a matter of months as he built a bigger physique using steroids.

But he began to suffer side effects.

"My paranoia was becoming quite extreme," Stevie said.

"I actually got to the point where I didn't like people actually even looking at me."

Then one night at home, he passed out after pulling a blood clot out of his nose.

He began treatment for his problem and is now a drugs counsellor for the Forum for Action on Substance Abuse in West Belfast.

He has spoken about his experience in the hope others might come forward to organisations like his for help.

"Young people like the idea of getting big quickly, and looking good - but the truth is, I wasn't looking good," he said.

"I'm really lucky to be alive to tell my story."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-22994816

Indo
Tommy Bowe will also be held in reserve for the second Test.

Bowe returned to training earlier this week and at one stage was hoping to be passed fit for Saturday. Howley suggested that it is more prudent to hold him in reserve for the week.

It is likely Bowe will play some part in the midweek game against the Melbourne Rebels in Melbourne to prove his fitness for the Test on the Saturday.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 59098.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Sunday 23rd June 2013

Tele

Court called up by Lions................
The British and Irish Lions have been hit by a potential double injury blow ahead of next Saturday's second Test against Australia in Melbourne.

The Lions announced that lock Paul O'Connell and prop Alex Corbisiero are being "treated and assessed" for arm and calf muscle injuries respectively.

Ireland prop Tom Court, meanwhile, has been called into the squad and will go straight onto the replacements' bench for Tuesday's game against the Melbourne Rebels. Ulster forward Court is currently in his home city Brisbane following Ireland's North American tour, and he will join up with the Lions squad on Monday.

Corbisiero, who joined the Lions tour as front-row cover earlier this month from England's two-Test trip to Argentina, went off early in the second half as the Lions beat Australia 23-21 at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday. Mako Vunipola - a probable second Test starter if Corbisiero is ruled out - has been withdrawn from the match-day 23 for the Rebels clash.

O'Connell's injury, meanwhile, must be of huge concern to the Lions. The 33-year-old second-row talisman has featured in seven Lions Tests and was the 2009 tour captain in South Africa. He has won 85 caps. He is an integral part of coach Warren Gatland's plans, and if he is ruled out of the Test series then it would represent a colossal blow.

Should O'Connell not make the second Test, then England and Leicester lock Geoff Parling would be favourite to replace him, partnering Alun-Wyn Jones in the second row.

On the other side of the coin, centres Manu Tuilagi and Jamie Roberts are in contention after recovering from respective shoulder and hamstring injuries, along with wing Tommy Bowe, who has recovered rapidly after suffering a broken hand against Queensland Reds 15 days ago.

Reflecting on the encouraging comebacks of Bowe and Tuilagi, Gatland said: "To have Tommy and Manu fit and back is a great compliment to the medical staff. Tommy is fit for Saturday, he's running, but the more time he has to heal the better. The surgeon said that that injury is normally a six to eight-week injury, so to be fit in three weeks is magnificent."

British and Irish Lions team to face Melbourne Rebels: R Kearney (Ireland); S Maitland (Scotland), M Tuilagi (England), B Barritt (England), S Zebo (Ireland); O Farrell (England), C Murray (Ireland); R Grant (Scotland), R Hibbard (Wales), D Cole (England), R Gray (Scotland), G Parling (England, capt), D Lydiate (Wales), S O'Brien (Ireland) T Faletau (Wales).

Replacements: R Best (Ireland), T Court (Ireland), M Stevens (England), I Evans (Wales), J Tipuric (Wales), B Youngs (England), B Twelvetrees (England), S Hogg (Scotland).
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 66103.html

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... 13-4701174

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1439901

AuverneSports

Conor Gaston....................(Google Translate).
Conor Gaston joined Aurillacois Stadium
Decidedly, the Irish industry is currently favored in the Cantal!
After arriving as coach of the Irish International Jeremy Davidson 2 years ago and Denis Fogarty last year, there are three new Irish recruits reinforce the workforce Aurillacois Stadium next season.
Indeed, Nigel Brady from Ulster, Munster Brian Hayes and Conor Gaston, formed in Ulster before joining the London Irish club, decided to join the rugby club Aurillac in D2.

Convincing debut in Ulster

Conor Gaston was born on 5 August 1990 in Ballymoney, a small town of just 10,000 inhabitants of County Antrim in the North East of Northern Ireland.
It is part of the Dungannon team then joined the "Ulster Schools' Under 19 years from 2008. He was then selected in the Ulster team less than 20 years, the "Ulster Rugby Academy" and the team "Ulster Ravens" (which includes both professional players, junior and university ...) in 2010. A course that is not reminiscent of Nigel Brady and Jeremy Davidson also originate in Northern Ireland and who also played in Dungannon and Ulster team ...
http://auvergnesports.boognat.com/rugby ... rillacois/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 27th June 2013

Indo

Tommy Bowe's return to fitness is 'unbelievable', says Lions head doctor...............
THE head doctor on the British and Irish Lions Tour has said Tommy Bowe's return to fitness in time for the second Test "will become the stuff of Lions' legend".

The Ulster winger broke his hand two weeks ago but has defied the medical odds and was this morning named in the team for Saturday's game against Australia - something which head doctor James Robson hailed as "unbelievable".

The injury normally requires four to six weeks recovery but the unique circumstances of the tour meant the 29-year-old takes the place of Alex Cuthbert on the right wing.

“Tommy’s recovery is up there with the best stories,” Robson told the 'Daily Telegraph'.

“The only way he can cap this off is to be selected for Saturday and score the winning try. I am hoping it will become the stuff of Lions’s legend.

“People will say ’Tommy Bowe, bloody hell, how did he do that?’ The impact (of his return) is bound to lift everyone.

“The immediate feeling was ’Oh my God, we have just lost somebody who we greatly respected and was back to his full peak. We experienced an immense low, then a glimmer of hope and then over two or three days a feeling that ’Shoot, we actually might pull this off."

Speaking to the Telegraph, Dr Robson said that it was at first thought Bowe's tour was over when he fractured his second metacarpal - the long bone in his hand - during the win against the Queensland Reds in Brisbane on June 8.

However, the Lions medical team went to Dr Peter Rowan, an orthopaedic surgeon in Brisbane who specialised in hand and shoulder injuries, and he offered a slight hope.

The doctor felt that if three pins were inserted to bind the bone together, the Ireland star could play within three to four weeks.

“The specialist said he had seen one or two people come back early, maybe not in the time frame we were wanting, but why don’t we do it and give it a go,” Robson said.

“If the surgeon had said no chance, that would have been a different kettle of fish. But he said we had a reasonable chance of three to four weeks, and we thought: ’why don’t we make it two to three weeks?

However, for it to work, Dr Robson said that Bowe had to be fully committed.

“The player has to be positive about it and understand it is not without a small risk, that there is a possibility of failure and that it might be uncomfortable and that he is going to have to work bloody hard,” he told the Telegraph.

“We say to the player ’do you want to do it? We are prepared to help you. And Tommy put his hand up and said ’Yes, I bloody do.”

“You can’t praise Tommy highly enough. You have to have a special person to be able to cope with that regime we did have to say to him that at some point it may go wrong and he may have to go home.”

The intensive rehabilitation programme involved more than 20 people and saw the injury being iced six or seven times a day, and included the winger taking medication, changing his diet and undergoing physio sessions.

And it has worked.

By the end of first week Bowe was starting to do gentle grip skills. Soon after he was catching tennis balls of the wall.

By the second week he was starting to catch rugby balls again.

The green light to return to full training came last Friday.

“People often ask why these sports guys get back a lot earlier and I usually say there are two reasons," Dr Rowan told the Telegraph.

"One, they tend to go back before they are 100 per cent healed and secondly they are tough these guys. They play with some discomfort and hide it whereas you or I would probably take a few more weeks before we took up sports again.”
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 77086.html

IRFU give Ferris six months to prove long-term fitness...................
AFTER months of speculation as to where he might be playing his rugby next season, Stephen Ferris has finally broken his long-held silence on the subject by committing himself to a further stint with Ulster.

His acceptance of the six-month contract extension offered by his employers, the IRFU – a package he and his management team had rejected initially – amounts to staking everything on his hope that the doctors who have treated him in Belfast, Dublin and London are right in saying that he will be able to resurrect his injury-threatened career next season.

Once more, however, he has been forced to accept a setback on the long road to recovery.

In May, Ferris revealed that he had hoped to be fit for the start of next season.

However, that has been revised yet again, with his IRFU paymasters, Ulster and Ferris himself resigned to the fact that he is likely to miss the first four months of the 2013-14 campaign.

That is the third such setback with this particular ankle injury, sustained on November 2 while on duty for Ulster duty against Edinburgh, paradoxically in a match which was to have proven his fitness to play for Ireland in last autumn's internationals.

He has not played since.

Having undergone surgery three weeks before Christmas, Ferris was hopeful of being able to take part in the latter stages of the Six Nations.

A second operation in February, when bone fragments were removed, put paid to that.

Last month, he had further surgery, which has scuppered his hopes of a return to action.

Now the target is four months into the new season – hopefully in time for some of Ireland's programme against Samoa, Australia and New Zealand in November, a full 12 months later than originally scheduled.

The challenge the flanker has accepted is to persuade the IRFU that he merits further investment on their part. He has from now until the end of the year to do so.

While that is a high-pressure situation, nevertheless it is the best possible outcome for Ferris who is an Ulsterman through and through.

Certainly, from a rugby-playing perspective, it is better than that now-cancelled, much-mooted move to Japan.

Just a couple of months ago, that move appeared inevitable. Even Ulster coach Mark Anscombe was resigned to losing a world-class flanker.

When, in early April, he was asked if Ferris might be on his way at the end of the season, Anscombe replied: "Yeah, most probably at this stage. He is a great loss.

"I don't know if it is signed or sealed at this stage, that's for Stephen and his support team to make those decision."

SEALED

It was neither signed nor sealed, however, and a few weeks later, Ferris made it clear that he would prefer to stay where he was, insisting: "I love Ulster. I love Ulster Rugby. Ulster is my home. It's the place I love."

Yesterday, Ulster's director of rugby David Humphreys spelt out his hopes in the wake of this latest development.

"Stephen has had a difficult year with the injuries that he has suffered, but when he is fit there is no doubt that he is one of the best back-row forwards in the game," said Humphreys.

"Stephen is passionate about playing for Ulster and Ireland and our aim in giving him this contract extension is to provide him with the best possible care to enable him to get back playing."

Ferris' reaction appeared to be one of gratitude and relief that he has been given a chance.

"I am delighted that I can continue my recovery and rehab from injury within the Ulster Rugby set-up," said Ferris.

"I believe that working with the medical team at Ulster, along with the excellent strength and conditioning coaches, offers me the best chance of regaining full fitness and of representing Ulster and Ireland again," added Ferris, who turns 28 on August 2.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/i ... 76315.html

Times

Bowe starts for Lions in second test........................
Irish winger Tommy Bowe has recovered from a broken hand and will start for the British and Irish Lions in the second test against Australia at Docklands Stadium on Saturday.

With the Lions looking to seal their first series victory since 1997, coach Warren Gatland has brought in Bowe to replace Alex Cuthbert on the wing, while scrumhalf Ben Youngs replaces Mike Phillips in the only changes from the backline that helped the visitors to a 23-21 victory in the first test in Brisbane.

Phillips missed periods of practice this week due to knee soreness from the first test. Gatland made three changes to his starting pack with loose forward Dan Lydiate replacing Tom Croft, while lock Geoff Parling has come in for the injured Paul O’Connell, and Mako Vunipola starts at loosehead prop after Alex Corbisiero was ruled out with a calf injury.

Prop Ryan Grant, a late call-up for the tour, has come onto the bench as one of the front row replacements, while flanker Sean O’Brien and scrumhalf Conor Murray have been brought into the matchday 23.

Bowe, who started all three Tests in South Africa in 2009, broke his hand three weeks ago but has made a recovery after undergoing surgery to repair the damage.

The 29-year-old will wear a hurling glove for protection and revealed that he faced intensive physiotherapy to put himself in contention for Saturday.

“To have fractured my hand and still be here and now go into one of the biggest matches of my career feels pretty surreal,” Bowe said, “I feel fully primed and ready to go. I’ve been having physio three to four times a day and have been consistently icing my hand. It’s been a pretty frantic regime but it’s amazing how good my hand feels. “I know I am capable of getting myself back up to match speed pretty quickly.”

“Tommy is obviously a quality player and brings experience. He’s a fantastic player for Ulster and Ireland. The medics have done a brilliant job with him,” Gatland said.

“This is a do or die match for Australia so we’ve decided to add some physicality to the side. Croft and O’Brien can give us explosiveness off the bench.

“The fact we’ve made five changes shows how strong the squad is. One or two changes have been forced on us by injury.”

Lions: 15-Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), 14-Tommy Bowe (Ireland), 13-Brian O’Driscoll (Ireland), 12-Jonathan Davies (Wales), 11-George North (Wales), 10-Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), 9-Ben Youngs (England, 8-Jamie Heaslip (Ireland), 7-Sam Warburton (Wales, captain), 6-Dan Lydiate (Wales), 5-Geoff Parling (England), 4-Alun Wyn Jones (Wales), 3-Adam Jones (Wales), 2-Tom Youngs (England), 1-Mako Vunipola (England). Replacements - 16-Richard Hibbard (Wales), 17-Ryan Grant (Scotland), 18-Dan Cole (England), 19-Tom Croft (England), 20-Sean O’Brien (Ireland), 21-Conor Murray (Ireland), 22-Owen Farrell (England), 23-Alex Cuthbert (Wales) (Reporting by Greg Stutchbury in Wellington; Editing by Peter Rutherford)
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1444603

Ireland backrow has to prove he can play at the top level again after slew of injuries ................
Stephen Ferris has six months to prove he can play professional rugby again.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/u ... -1.1443484

Newsletter

Ulster’s Stephen Ferris determined to make it back to full fitness......................
Stephen Ferris is aiming to be fit and ready to play for Ulster sooner rather than later in the new season after agreeing a six-month extension to his current contract.

Ulster Rugby confirmed on Wednesday the British Lion backrow would be staying on with the Province ending months of speculation about his future.

The 27-year-old missed most of last season with Ulster and Ireland - and a probable tour with the British & Irish Lions to Australia - with a right ankle injury he suffered in November 2012.

Ferris, capped 102 times for Ulster and 35 with Ireland, is currently recovering from a major operation to his ankle - the third this season - which should see him back on the pitch in the Ulster shirt by the end of this year.

He has been in plaster cast for the past four weeks following the operation and in two weeks he will wear a boot for another six weeks as his rehab continues.

Ferris is not expected to return to playing until at least mid November at the earliest.

Prior to undergoing the latest operation there were strong rumours that Ferris, whose current contract with Ulster and the Irish Rugby Football Union on June 30 was moving to Japan, France or England.

The News Letter understands that a lucrative deal to Japan was on the table, but Ferris turned it down to undergo the third operation.

Ferris told the News Letter yesterday that he was delighted to have secured an extension.

“I wanted to continue my recovery and rehabilitation after the operation with the excellent medical staff at Ulster Rugby.

“Working with people who know me is a huge benefit and along with the strength and conditioning coaches, I have the best chance of pulling on the Ulster and Ireland jersey again.”

Ferris admitted he had been left frustrated in the season recently finished which saw him miss out playing with Ulster, Ireland and quite possibly the British Lions during the current tour of Australia.

“Having undergone a couple of operations to hopefully correct the problem with the ankle, when it was still not right it was really frustrating.

“It was difficult having to watch the team doing so well this year in reaching quarter-finals, semi-finals and finals.”

He added: “But it has made be more determined to want to get back to full fitness and look at renegotiating a further deal with Ulster once I get back to playing rugby.”

That determination is reflected in Ferris saying that he wanted to play with Ireland in the next World Cup.

“After I get back playing with Ulster then the World in 2015 is my next goal.”
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-5227363

Tele....26th

I'll not cap Lions appearance, says Ulster's Tom Court.....................
For the longest time Tom Court thought his international Test career would forever have an asterisk after it to highlight his 29th Ireland cap.

That was the cap he won after replacing Mike Ross as Ireland's tighthead prop against England in the 2012 Six Nations Championship in Twickenham.

To this day those excruciating 43 minutes – Ross went off injured in the 37th minute – are painful to recall.

Court was eviscerated. Ireland's scrum coughed up a penalty try, six scrum penalties and three scrums against the head that day.

The scrum was in trouble ever before Court was introduced but he endured the worst of it.

"I didn't think I'd win cap number 30 coming off the pitch that day," he recalled last night.

Yesterday Tom Court officially became Lions' player number 806. It was fortuitous that the Ulster and Ireland prop was in Australia – he was holidaying on the Gold Coast with his family – when Alex Corbisiero's calf injury occurred. But he was, he got the call and he's now one of that elite group of players who can call themselves a Lions' player.

"This obviously tops it all off really," said Court with a healthy dose of understatement and modesty. Coming off the pitch tonight and actually realising it all happened, and them telling me I've now officially got a Lions number was certainly the high point of the last few days and of my career.

"Everything has happened so fast that I'm sure it will sink in sooner or later but for the moment I've been trying to go with the flow and see how things work out."

Court entered the game in the 55th minute. The fare was well over as a contest at that juncture – it never really got going – but he acquitted himself well and if that was his last involvement he'll certainly have memories to cherish.

"I don't know what the situation is. Initially they said it would be a few days and now it's a 'wait and see' because they are still not sure of the severity of Alex (injury).

"They are going to reassess tomorrow (Wednesday) morning once the dust settles and make their minds up."

Mention of Corbisiero brought a wry smile to Court's face.

The London Irish prop was the one who gave Court such a torrid time of it in that painful game in Twickenham: "It is ironic. Alex was heavily involved in my lowest point in rugby and now has been responsible for my highest point. Maybe it's a bit of justice!"

When Court entered the fray the Lions were cruising at 21-0 after tries from Conor Murray, Sean Maitland and Sean O'Brien. They were awarded a penalty try soon afterwards before Ben Youngs, who replaced the excellent Conor Murray, rounded off the night's work with another.

As a contest it was a mis-match. The Rebels huffed and puffed but to no avail. The game only came to life after Simon Zebo and his opposite number Tom English tangled a couple of times and the crowd took up the chant of "Zebo, Zebo" but the lack of any real atmosphere was peripheral at best for Court.

"Tonight is the peak of Mount Everest, really," he said. "This is one of those things that is going to be hard to believe for a long time to come and I'm just going to enjoy having that red jersey.

"I think 806 might be my new favourite number."

Before the game the Lions' players were given every incentive to perform with Warren Gatland insisting there were places in his Test team and squad up grabs.

He reiterated those comments after the game and it will be interesting to see if he is true to his word.

If he is then surely Sean O'Brien will feature in Saturday's second Test while both Zebo and Conor Murray might also have forced their way into the reckoning.

O'Brien's strength and mobility embarrassed the Rebels regularly last night and Mike Phillips' poor form – he has been carrying a knee injury –last Saturday has opened up the possibility for a changing of the guard.

Those questions will be answered tomorrow when Warren Gatland reveals the squad he hopes can secure an unassailable 2-0 lead in the Series. Court won't be involved in the game but for someone who thought he was the butt of a practical joke when the initial call-up was relayed to him he's now got memories to last a life-time.

"It is only when Mick Kearney's (Ireland team manager) name came up on the phone that I realised this was real.

"I hadn't considered it. Ok, there were a lot of injuries but I'd be down the pecking order. I didn't even have a gum-shield or contact lenses with me ... nothing.

"The heart started to go once he rang!"

During the game the Lions showed bursts of initiative play even if they were a little foolhardy at times.

Early on they spent 10 minutes inside the Rebels' 22 without harvesting any points, tempting fate by kicking for the corner with handy points available from the kicking Tee. But after losing their previous mid-week outing their hesitancy was, perhaps, to be expected.

They came good in the end. It wasn't memorable by any stretch but those 'dirt-trackers' who have now effectively finished their tour have, at least, signed off on a winning note and the Test team has some momentum to channel for Saturday.

For others like Court the guilt of pawning the children off on their grandparents will be dealt with down the road – "it's also my 10th wedding anniversary!" – because for now he can reflect and celebrate becoming Lions' player number 806.

It's some journey from Twickenham and Ireland cap number 29 – "I think I'm on 32 now" – to his first British & Irish Lions' cap.

Fickle fate can smile when you least expect it!
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 72917.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 27th June.............Cont'd

SportsNewsIE

Stephen Ferris staying with Ulster and Ireland – a relief to many..............
Walkies..........png
Walkies..........png (181.11 KiB) Viewed 2629 times
News has broken that Ulster and Ireland flanker Stephen Ferris has made a supposed u-turn on his future. It had been widely reported that Ferris was going to leave Ulster in favour of a big money move to Japan and it now appears that Ferris is due to sign a two year deal to remain with Ulster and Ireland.

It is a huge boost for both province and country for a number of reasons. The main reason is that one of Ireland’s truly world class talents will remain available to both squads but I think Ferris’s decision to stay in Ireland will be a huge relief to the IRFU following the high profile departure of Jonathan Sexton to Racing Metro in France.

The reality would probably have been that a move to Japan could have seen an end to his international career

There could a variety of reasons for Ferris deciding not to move to Japan but I would think that he has his own personal challenge in proving that he is still a world class player who can showcase his talents on the biggest stages. A move to Japan could have resulted in a lot of ‘if only’ statements regarding Ferris and his career in Ireland. I think there may be a degree of unfinished business in Ferris’s own mind-set.

The reality would probably have been that a move to Japan could have seen an end to his international career and Ferris certainly still has a lot to offer in this regard. The emergence of players like Peter O’Mahony and Tommy O’Donnell will provide huge competition for places in the Irish back-row and I think it is definitely possible that Ferris is seeing a personal challenge to earn a spot in the Irish team and prove a point to himself and others.

A fear began to escalate within Irish rugby that Sexton’s departure would set a trend for other player to follow.

As happy as Ulster will be with Ferris’s decision I think the IRFU will breathe a significant sigh of relief. They received criticism for their handling of Jonathan Sexton’s departure. Sexton has come out since and said that his preference was to stay at Leinster but the lack of negotiations and the lure of substantially greater money saw Sexton agree a move to Racing Metro and now possibly Ireland’s best player will showcase his talents on foreign soil.

A fear began to escalate within Irish rugby that Sexton’s departure would set a trend for other player to follow. Everybody knows about the other countries have more financial power than Ireland but players have been very loyal to their provinces so far. Ferris’s departure on top of Sexton’s really could have opened the floodgates for others to leave but Ferris has decided to stay on the IRFU will learn a lot about their negotiations and renewals policies to ensure that our best players remain playing in Ireland.

Ferris has missed two consecutive Lions tours due to injury, and one must wonder if he can stop missing out on so many big games.

In an ideal world we want to see the best Irish players playing with Irish provinces and it can’t be doubted that the template has worked very well when we look at our team’s performances in the European Cup. Criticism has followed as to why the national team hasn’t progressed at the same level and one would wonder if a year or two playing abroad would be of benefit to some players. Would our scrum improve if players played in France or England? Would players develop their all round game? These are interesting questions and answers would differ depending on who is asked.

In terms of Ferris, his quality cannot be questioned, but people will wonder if he can prevent himself from picking up so many injuries. He kind of reminds me of Jonny Wilkinson in terms of the amount of serious injuries he has picked up during his career that really prevented him from having an awesome legacy. Ferris has missed two consecutive Lions tours due to injury and one must wonder if he can stop missing out on so many big games.

We all saw how things have turned around for Jonny Wilkinson and how great would it be for Ferris to put his injury issues behind him and bounce back to the same extent as Wilkinson. Can he lead Ulster to a European Cup. We will have to but his decision to stay in Ireland is a boost and we now need a fit Ferris to be playing regularly.
http://sportsnewsireland.com/rugby/rugb ... 013-06-27/

Tommy Bowe will wear a Hurling glove against Australia.......................
TommyBowe1.jpg
TommyBowe1.jpg (26.05 KiB) Viewed 2629 times
Tommy Bowe will be able to take part in the Lions second test match against Australia on Saturday, because the Ulster man will be sporting a Hurling glove to protect his broken hand.

Bowe, a former Gaelic footballer in county Monaghan, has been named in the starting team to play the Aussies, just three weeks after he sustained the injury, which threatened his entire tour.

The Ireland winger had a plate inserted in his hand the day after he sustained the injury, and has made a very quick recovery to replace Alex Cuthbert on the wing.

“Tommy is obviously quality and he brings a lot of experience. He has been a fantastic player for both Ulster and Ireland and he has made a fantastic recovery from injury. The medics have done a brilliant job in getting him back up and fit. He has slotted in really well this week,” Warren Gatland said while announcing the team to face Australia.

“Credit to the surgeon who performed the operation because there were other surgeons who said it was a six to eight week injury. He was confident that if he looked after himself Tommy could be back in three weeks. He has got a hurling glove he is wearing for a little bit of extra protection, but he has worked hard to get back.

“It is what you expect from a professional sportsman and all the players have been very conscientious about recovering after games and looking after themselves. If they have had a knock they’ve had early nights and Tommy just epitomises one of 39 of the squad and how diligent they have been in looking after themselves.”
http://sportsnewsireland.com/rugby/rugb ... 013-06-27/

Setanta

Bowe puts roller-coaster behind him........................
Tommy Bowe has experienced a roller-coaster of emotions over the last three weeks but the Ulster and Ireland winger is ready to put it all behind him and focus on delivering a performance for the British and Irish Lions.

Bowe battled back from a serious knee injury to be included in the Lions squad for the tour of Australia and was considered to be a genuine Test contender until he was injured in the win over the Queensland Reds.

The 29-year-old feared the worst when he he was told he had broken a bone in his hand only for the surgeons to give him some hope by suggesting he could be back playing within three weeks.

The surgeon’s estimation proved to be accurate and he will take his place on the wing for Saturday’s second Test against the Wallabies in Melbourne, although he will wear a hurling glove for extra protection.

“It has been a real roller-coaster few weeks and I’ve done everything and anything to try to get it fixed. I’ve been taking protein shakes, calcium tablets, omega tablets and vitamins as well as having constant icing and physio two, three or four times a day,” explained Bowe.

“To go from seeing the fracture put up on the board, the X-Ray, to be shown the fracture spiral right through the bone and be told that that’s pretty much my tour over to being told by the surgeon that he’s had guys come back within three weeks was emotional.

“But that enabled me to get back for selection for the second Test. Then I had to go through all the physio and everything else to try and get myself back and available – . it has been a bit of a roller coaster.

“But these are the sort of games that you want to be involved in. You play your career in rugby to play in big games. Getting injured is the hardest part of professional sport.

“Whenever you get picked to play in a match like this it makes it all worth it – as long as you win. That’s the big thing and that’s the motivation for us this weekend.

“The boys did all the hard work last weekend, it’s the second half now and we need to come out with a good performance.”
http://www.setanta.com/ie/bowe-puts-rol ... ehind-him/
Image Image