What the Papers Say 2016/2017

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Mac
Chancellor to the King

Re: What the Papers Say 2016/2017

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 16th August 2016

Charles Piutau ready to take next step and help Ulster end drought
The Kiwi player gave up the chance at All Blacks World Cup squad to move to Belfast
Inpho
Ulster’s marquee signing Charles Piutau looks ready to make his eagerly anticipated debut for the northern province this weekend in their pre-season friendly at Exeter Chiefs.

And, should it come to pass, at least the opposition will actually be rather familiar to the 24-year-old All Black should he pull on the Ulster shirt for the first time on Saturday.

After all, Piutau, spent last season showing some seriously attention-grabbing form at Aviva Premiership side Wasps, who snapped up the utility back a year ago after the uproar of his ultimate departure to Belfast brought an early end to his playing time at Auckland Blues as well as costing him a place in the All Blacks’ World Cup squad.

Whispers silenced

With the whispers that Wasps were prepared to break the bank to keep him now clearly silenced, Ulster will be hoping that their stunning coup in signing Piutau starts to pay immediate dividends.

And should that be at Sandy Park then the Kiwi is well versed with meeting Exeter – his last game for Wasps was in the Premiership semi-final defeat to the Chiefs – who just happen to also be in Ulster’s Champions Cup pool this season.

“It was probably one of the hardest things of my career to date to do and I knew that it would effect my chances [of playing for the All Blacks],” Piutau said last night of his decision to leave New Zealand to serve two years at Ulster.

“But there is the positive side to it and I really think it [coming to Ulster] will push me to get better and also play my best years here at this club.

“But I just want to get that first game out. I think it’s been a long time coming so it will be nice to finally just do it and be out there playing again,” he added at last night’s European shirt launch.

‘Expectation and pressure’

“There is always expectation and pressure,” he said of bringing the dazzling form he showed at Wasps to his new employers, “but I see that as a challenge and it I think it will help me perform and get better.

“I can only be myself and bring my skills-set and hopefully that will help the team.

“And the right ingredients are hopefully here to take the next step,” Piutau added of the chances of Ulster ending their long drought without a trophy.

Meanwhile, fellow new signings Rodney Ah You and Marcell Coetzee were also at last night’s shirt launch, with the former Connacht player in a good position to get regular starts as tight-head prop as Wiehahn Herbst could be out until November while back-rower and former Shark Coetzee’s ACL injury means he will not be able to play until January at the earliest.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/c ... -1.2757820

Ulster's new signings Piutau, Coetzee and Ah You unveil province's new European kit
We like what we see
DicksonDigital.com
FOR THE FIRST time this season, Ulster will wear a bespoke European kit which the province will run out in during their Champions Cup campaign.

New signings Charles Piutau, Marcell Coetzee and Rodney Ah You were in attendance at Kingspan Stadium this evening to officially unveil the new Kukri manufactured shirt.

The front and back of the jersey features a traditional hoop design while the flash of white across the chest area accentuates the Ulster logo.

Faded into the side panels is a European Cup trophy illustration, with the design saluting the Ulster side of 1999 by placing a star in the middle to represent their victorious campaign.

On the inside of the collar, the words ’I take my stand by the Ulster names’ are printed in gold. This is the opening line to the poem ‘Ulster Names’ by renowned poet, John Hewitt.

Ulster find themselves in Pool 5 for the 2016/17 European campaign alongside Exeter, Clermont and Bordeaux.

Les Kiss’ men begin their campaign with the visit of Newport Gwent Dragons to Belfast on the opening weekend of the Pro12 season on Friday 2 September.
http://www.the42.ie/ulster-new-european ... 2-Aug2016/

New Ulster signing Marcell Coetzee hopes to be playing 'by mid-January'
South Africa back row Marcell Coetzee says he hopes to be playing for Ulster by mid-January as he continues his rehabilitation from a torn ACL knee ligament sustained in April.

"It's very disappointing but Ulster's attitude has been a source of great comfort to me and my rehabilitation has been going well at the Sharks," Coetzee told BBC Sport NI's Nial Foster.

"Ulster will take over on 1 October and if all goes well I'm aiming at mid-January to start playing again.

"I'm disappointed that I'll not to be able to make my debut earlier but I'd rather be 100% fit before I return to action rather than 70%."

The 25-year-old, who has been capped 25 times by South Africa, will join Ulster on a three-year contract.
:red: Video Interview..... http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37090867

New Zealander Charles Piutau aiming to win silverware with Ulster
New Zealander Charles Piutau tells BBC Sport NI that he aims to help Ulster realise their potential to win silverware but does not feel under extra pressure to help deliver it.

The 24-year-old, who spent last season with Wasps in the Aviva Premiership, arrived in the province last month and has been impressed with the set-up at Kingspan Stadium.

"The quality of players here and the depth of the squad is of such a high standard," said Piutau, who has indicated a willingness to play in any position in the backline.

The Kiwi helped Wasps reach the European Champions Cup semi-finals last season, was nominated for Premiership Player of the Season and was named in the Team of the Season.

"It was tempting to stay at Wasps but the commitment I made was to join this club and I would always honour that," he said.
:red: Video Interview..... http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37090330

Charles Piutau helps unveil Ulster’s new bespoke European jersey
New Zealand arrival Charles Piutau is poised to make his debut for Ulster at the ground where he finished his Wasps career. Ulster will play Exeter Chiefs at Sandy Bay on Saturday in the second of their pre-season friendlies as they build to the start of the new Guinness PRO12 season next month. Wasps, having beaten Exeter in the quarter-finals of the European Champions Cup suffered a loss to them in the Aviva Premiership semi-finals - their last match of the season. “It was not the best memory to have of last season,” admitted Piutau. “But hopefully if I am involved this weekend I will be able to come away with a win.” There is early interest in the game against the English side as the clubs are due to meet later this season in the European Champions Cup. But there will be little can be taken from the game for both sides, Piutau saying that it was a case of moving on to the next stage of the pre-season. Piutau, joined Marcell Coetzee, Kieran Treadwell, Angus Lloyd, Rodney Ah You and Brett Herron and 250 Ulster Rugby season ticket holders, at an exclusive event at Kingspan Stadium last night as the club unveiled its new Ulster’s new European kit, manufactured by Kukri Sports. For the first time Ulster will to have a bespoke European kit, which will be worn during all European games both home and away.

Rugby’s Season Ticket Ambassador Andrew Trimble was MC for the evening. The European elite jersey combines the latest kit technologies and bold new designs. Created by Kukri’s team in Lisburn, County Antrim, the jersey is made from 4D technical fabric, has a ‘bridge’ collar and is sublimated. The front and back of the jersey features a traditional rugby hoop design constructed by several smaller hoops to add a modern edge, and there is a flash of white across the chest area to display the distinctive Ulster Rugby logo.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-7528211
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 16th August 2016

PART II

Ulster's new £1m King Charles: I'm ready to rule at Kingspan
Ulster £1million new boy Charles Piutau has said he wants to reward the team's fans for their patience with him by taking his side to the next level this season.
The All Black star, reputed to be on a £500,000 a year deal for the next two years, has waited well over a year to make his debut for the province after signing back in April 2015.

He is expected to pull on the jersey for the first time in Saturday's friendly against Exeter and the 24-year-old has already set his sights on the much bigger games ahead.

"There are always nerves and you always want to get that first game out of the way," he said in his first interview with the Belfast Telegraph.

"It has been a long time coming. Bryn Cunningham (Ulster's Operations Manager) gave me a run down of how good a place this was to be a part of. He wants to see this club move on to the next level and that caught my attention.

"We saw this club's potential and where it can go."

While he penned a lucrative deal to leave home in Auckland and travel to Belfast, Piutau made personal sacrifices to join his new team.

The move cost him a place in New Zealand's World Cup winning squad last year and a possible crack at taking on the Lions when they tour his homeland next summer.

Instead, he is now looking forward to spending the peak years of his career at Kingspan Stadium.

"It was one of the hardest things in my career," he admitted. "Looking on the positive side it really pushes me to get better and not get complacent. Hopefully I will play my best years here at this club."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 68756.html

Ulster kitted out for new season glory
New boys: Charles Piutau (centre) along with signings Rodney Ah You and Marcell Coetzee in Ulster’s new Champions Cup kit
Ulster's newest superstar never considered turning his back on a big money deal to join the province - despite what he told the man who signed him.

When it was announced last April that Charles Piutau was on his way to the Kingspan Stadium, the coup received much fanfare even though the 16-times capped All Black couldn't join until this summer thanks to IRFU limits on non-Irish qualified players.

Unable to continue for his previous employers, the Blues in Super Rugby, the 24-year-old had to seek a solution elsewhere and eventually ended up playing the season for free-spending Wasps.

With every stand-out performance in Coventry - Piutau beat more defenders and gained more metres than any other player in last season's Champions Cup - rumours spread that Wasps owner Derek Richardson would attempt to break the bank and secure the player on a permanent basis.

Piutau, however, had no intention of reneging on the contract with Ulster.

"I guess on social media, having the fans already know I was committed here, they'd shown their excitement and then coming to another team beforehand had its challenges for them," he said.

"I think for me what really helped was just taking one season at a time but you could feel the expectation (from fans here and at Wasps). I just had to make it clear that I was always still coming here. That kept them happy!"

He could not, however, help himself from having a bit of fun with the situation and his new boss Bryn Cunningham. While speculation raged around him, Piutau sent Ulster's Operations Manager a text to say how he was loving his time in Coventry and was considering a change of heart. While just how long the native Aucklander let Cunningham panic before revealing the prank is between the two of them, Piutau says he can now, at least, see the funny side.

Talking more on the Ulster centurion's role in his recruitment, Piutau is full of praise, just like fellow big name addition Marcell Coetzee.

"For sure, talking to Bryn Cunningham, he gave me a run down of how good a place this was to be a part of. He wanted to take this club to the next level and that caught my attention. The club kind of knew what they wanted and went out and got it. Not just for me but all the players are excited to have Marcell on board," said Piutau.

"It's a credit to what people think of this club, having maybe myself and Marcell and a few others recruited, we saw this club's potential and where it can go."

While the move made him one of the best paid rugby players in the world, he sacrificed plenty to be here, a likely World Cup winners medal last Autumn and a possible battle with the Lions next summer, but the most difficult decision of his career was aided by advice from two of Ulster's most popular former Kiwis - Nick Williams and John Afoa.

"I think it was really tough. It was one of the hardest things in my career. Looking on the positive side it really pushes me to get better and not get complacent. Hopefully I will play my best years here," he said.

"I talked to a few of the Kiwis who had been here, John Afoa and Nick Williams. I was just happy that those guys told me what their experiences were."

Already he seems to have settled in well on and off the pitch, joking that, given the depth in Ulster's backline, his first training session left him pondering why he had been signed at all.

"I came in and then I was thinking why am I here?" he laughed. "There are some really good players here. Teams and clubs need depth and you never know, a few injuries could just change everything, but the talent here is unreal.

"In the back three there are a lot of international players, a good mix of experience and young players, and some of the young players have already played 100 games or more. They certainly have the right ingredients here to take that next step.

"Settling in has been a lot easier because it's a great bunch of guys. The biggest difference has been coming to a smaller city. I have grown up in Auckland and then when I was with Wasps they are based in London which is a big city too.

"I'm dealing with the accent okay... some better than others. I just hope I can understand them on the field which is the main thing."

The first chance to find out will likely come on Saturday when Ulster travel to Sandy Park for a friendly with Exeter.

"There are always nerves and you always want to get that first game out of the way," he added. "It has been a long time coming, especially with all the things in between, before coming here to finally do it.

"There's a sense of that expectation but as rugby players there's always pressure and the way I see it, that's exciting. It's a good challenge for me and it helps me perform and get better. I'm looking forward to it."

After 16 months, he won't be the only one.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 68563.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 17th August 2016

Injury-free campaign the priority for Iain Henderson
Ulster forward keen for Joe Schmidt to stay on as Ireland rugby coach
Iain Henderson: needs “to get an injury-free season under my belt”. Darren Kidd/Presseye/Inpho
The season’s goals are set and Iain Henderson has his sights firmly fixed on managing what would be a rare feat for him, of staying fit for an entire campaign to fully deliver for both Ulster and Ireland.

The 24-year-old is due to return for the province in about week two or three of the Guinness Pro12, though this is still not certain following his involvement in all three of Ireland’s bruising Tests in South Africa back in June.

“Yes, staying fit for as long as possible this time would be ideal,” he said at a media night held by his former club, Queen’s University. “And to try and go a full season without actually getting injured would just be fantastic and would be almost unheard-of for me. But, right now, I’m just looking forward to getting back playing.”

Even though participation in the Pro12 and Champions Cup for Ulster are the more pressing priorities, there is still no getting away from Ireland’s autumn campaign.

“Yes, it’s massive, with the All Blacks twice in two different places,” Henderson said of November’s Tests in Chicago and Dublin. “It will be an amazing experience for everyone who goes over to Chicago, but also playing Australia will pose a massive task too.”

November will certainly be busy for Joe Schmidt’s squad and Henderson says he hopes the Kiwi opts to stay on at Ireland. Schmidt is set to indicate soon his intention of remaining in charge after this coming season amid speculation that he may return to New Zealand.

“I really hope he stays on,” said Henderson. “He’s a fantastic coach, but it’s up to him and we haven’t heard what’s happening yet, so it’s now just a matter of waiting to find out.”

Which leads on to next summer’s Lions tour and whether the dynamic player who can operate effectively at lock or blindside flanker might make the plane to New Zealand.

“It’s a long way off, but I really need to get an injury-free season under my belt. I wouldn’t want to jinx anything by saying too much,” he said.

Henderson is on firmer ground discussing Ulster and whether Les Kiss’s squad can overcome last May’s bitter disappointment at failing to secure the Pro12 trophy after a 10-year gap.

“It was something we have to put behind us,” he said. “And we now know we just have to be consistent from day one of the season.”
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2758402

Marcell Coetzee Q&A
DicksonDigital.com
We caught up with Marcell Coetzee to find out his initial thoughts on Belfast, why he joined Ulster Rugby and how his injury rehab is progressing...

Marcell on Belfast...

"It is a very warm, welcoming city. Everybody is friendly and smiling and accepting of who you are. Belfast in general is a proud city with it's culture, history and also a great rugby heritage."

On joining Ulster...

"Ulster still had confidence in me after the injury, they said they still wanted me and they were going to help me. The club has had a few ACL problems here in the past and that gave me great confidence. I must thank Ulster for their support so far it has been really immense.

"The stadium is fantastic, and playing with the likes of Rory Best, Tommy Bowe and all the legends here is going to be a heartening experience and I just can't wait to get onto the pitch."

On his injury progress...

"It is going very well so far. I have been rehabbing with the Sharks and Ulster are going to take over. It has been going very well and I haven't had any setbacks.

"When you come to a new club it's extra frustrating but there is a plan after that. I have grown immensely as an individual and conditioning wise I have been working on my weak areas. It is always tough to watch the guys playing and training but this tests your character and mental toughness as a person.

"This is my first serious injury; I had been very lucky but ultimately it caught up with me, but I'm feeling very positive about it. Having said that, it's very sad that I'm not making my debut earlier.

"I have to return to South Africa to sort a few things out but when I return in October I will be able to run and train with the team."

On Ulster's link with the Sharks...

"I spoke to Ruan (Pienaar), Franco (van der Merwe), Wiehahn (Herbst) and Louis (Ludik) and all the guys that were here and we actually joked at the Sharks that Ulster is our second base. Speaking with the guys, they say Ulster is a very unique club and I wanted to be a part of that. Just being here for a couple of days and seeing the professionalism of the management staff and players has been great. It's been really welcoming and I'd like to thank everyone for that."

On leaving the Sharks...

"The Sharks have been awesome for my career and I really enjoyed my rugby there but I just felt for something different. I wanted to grow as a player and an individual and having spoken to Ruan and Bryn (Cunningham), Ulster shared the same principles that I have as a player."

On the Ulster staff...

"I'd say the professionalism and how they handle the players, the management and the facilities are world class. Everyone has been warm and accommodating and has a wave and a smile."

On the European Champions Cup...

"It was definitely a factor, but I was also interested in the PRO12 because it gives you a chance to play all the other clubs. Coming from Super Rugby, it's also a very tough tournament and coming to play in another domestic tournament and the European Cup is something that not a lot of rugby players can say they have done."
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/15094.php#.V7QatGD2bIU
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

PART II
Marcell Coetzee can't wait to regain fitness and show Ulster his top quality
As Marcell Coetzee ambles into one of the Kingspan Stadium's premium boxes for his first interview at Ulster, the latest big name recruit ducks his head to enter but still manages to leave little room in the doorway.

Physically imposing, he looks for all the world like a man who could run through a brick wall without hesitation tomorrow, certainly not a player who won't be able to take to the field until the early weeks of 2017.

Such is the luck of the 25-year-old, however, that a torn ACL sustained for his previous club, the Sharks, back in April means he is yet to begin full training with his new team-mates and could potentially miss all six pool games of the Champions Cup.

With a large sigh, the flanker admits it is still a source of huge frustration.

"It is very sad I'm not making my debut earlier," he said. "Injuries in general are not a good thing to have as a rugby player but when you come to a new club it's extra frustrating."

Alluding to his strong religious faith, he added: "You just have to trust that there is a reason for this and a reason to go through this but it tests your character and mental toughness as a person. I have grown immensely as an individual and conditioning wise I have been working on my weak areas.

"It's my first serious injury. I had been very lucky but ultimately it caught up with me. It is always tough to watch the guys playing and training.

"It is going very well so far, I have been rehabbing with the Sharks for the last four months and Ulster are going to take over in the first week of October. I haven't had any setbacks yet and if all goes well I'm aiming for mid-January or the end of January."

When his Sharks career came to an abrupt end - there were still nine games and a quarter-final defeat to come for the Durban outfit - Coetzee took comfort in how Ulster handled the news that their high-priced import would be delayed.

He was quickly contacted by the province to reassure him of their desire to see him arrive whenever he was ready while he has since talked to Stuart Olding, himself a victim of two ACL tears but now back in the Ireland squad, who stressed that his treatment at Ulster would be second to none.

"Ulster still had confidence in me, they said they still wanted me and that they were going to help me," said Coetzee

"They have had a few ACL problems here in the past and know how to deal with them. That gave me great confidence. I must thank Ulster for their support so far. It has been really immense."

Such patience has vindicated what was a hugely tough decision. At the Sharks he was a hero, a home-grown star who fans wanted their pack to be built around for years to come.

Leaving the only club he'd ever known, bar a short stint with Honda Heat in Japan, was a wrench but seeing the success of so many former Sharks at the Kingspan Stadium helped swing the debate in favour of a move.

Current Ulster players Ruan Pienaar, Franco van der Merwe, Louis Ludik and Wiehahn Herbst have all turned out for the Sharks in recent years while previous heroes like Johann Muller and Robbie Kempson also arrived in Belfast having come through the system at Kings Park.

Coetzee even revealed it is a running joke in the Sharks squad that Ulster is the side's second base.

"The Sharks have been awesome for my career, I really enjoyed my rugby there, but I just felt it was time for something different," he said. "I wanted to grow as a player and an individual and having spoken to Ruan and Bryn (Cunningham), Ulster shared the same principles that I have as a player.

"I spoke to Ruan, Franco, Wiehahn Herbst and Louis Ludik. Speaking with the guys, they say Ulster is a very unique club and I wanted to be a part of that.

"Just being here for a couple of days and seeing the professionalism, the management staff and the players, it's been really welcoming and I'd like to thank everyone for that."

Coetzee and his wife Chanelle are coming to the end of two weeks in their new home before heading back to South Africa to tie up some loose ends.

His first impressions have him looking forward to a quick return.

"I'll go back now because I still have some stuff to sort out in South Africa," he added.

"In October I will have progressed from my running and I'll be fully training with the squad, doing lineouts and scrums, doing all the functions that make you 100 per cent fit to play on your first day.

"When I come back here I will be in a happier state of mind. I will be able to run and train with the team and that's where the bonds usually form so it'll be a good time.

"Everyone has been warm and accommodating and has a wave and a smile. It's a lovely city proud of its rugby and proud of its heritage.

"It is a very warm welcoming city, everybody is friendly and smiling and accepting of who you are.

"Belfast in general is a proud city with its culture, history and also the rugby stadium.

"The players that have played here know that, playing with the likes of Rory Best, Tommy Bowe and all the legends here is going to be a heartening experience and I just can't wait to get onto the pitch."

Munster, meanwhile, were dealt an injury blow yesterday with the confirmation that Francis Saili will be sidelined for between three and four months after having to undergo shoulder surgery.

The twice-capped All Black is in the second season of a two-year deal at Thomond Park.

Director of Rugby Rassie Erasmus said: "We got a setback with his shoulder.

"He went in for a scope yesterday but there was some more repair work needed. It's going to be an extended lay-off. It certainly wasn't great news but it is what it is."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 71416.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

PART III

Herring and Trimble to assume Ulster Rugby captaincy
DicksonDigital.com
Ulster Rugby is pleased to announce that Rob Herring and Andrew Trimble will captain the squad during the upcoming season.

Herring, who deputised as skipper for Rory Best on numerous occasions last season, and Trimble - Ulster's most-capped player with 206 caps - will share the captaincy throughout the 2016/17 campaign.

Herring joined Ulster in 2012 and has amassed 97 appearances for the Province, while Trimble's Ulster career began back in 2005 with a debut against Cardiff.

The experienced duo will replace Best, who had led both Ulster and Ireland since being appointed as national team captain in January this year.

Director of Rugby, Les Kiss, commented:

"Rob and Andrew are two outstanding individuals who have the respect of everyone within the organisation and I'm delighted they have agreed to take on the captaincy.

"In the current landscape it's hard to guarantee that one player will be available of all the time, so the shared captaincy model will give us more flexibility and continuity throughout the season.

"Rory and I have been in discussions about this since the end of last season and we felt it was the perfect time for him to assist us in developing this new leadership structure. His experience of captaining both Ulster and Ireland last season will continue to be invaluable for us as a group.

"We have strong experience across our squad that will support Rob and Andrew by driving standards off the field and assisting with tactics and decision-making in training and in match situations."

Commenting on his appointment, Herring said:

"I've been fortunate to captain the team on a number of occasions over the past season and it has been a great privilege. To be named a club captain of Ulster is an absolute honour and something that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

"To be able to share the captaincy with someone like Andrew is massively exciting, and together, with the support of the many other leaders in the squad, we can make strides to deliver the success that the players, staff and supporters strive for."

Trimble was equally proud to be named as captain:

"To be named as captain of my home Province is extremely humbling and this is without doubt one of the proudest moments of my career. We are a close-knit group of players and we are lucky to have so many leaders to call upon. Rob is a fantastic player and captain and I believe that we have a great structure in place that will allow us to deliver on the pitch."
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/15095.php#.V7RuA2D2bIU

Rob Herring and Andrew Trimble to share Ulster captaincy
Presseye
Rob Herring and Andrew Trimble will share the Ulster captaincy for the upcoming season after Ireland skipper Rory Best stepped down from the role.

Hooker Herring deputised for Best on numerous occasions last season, while Trimble is Ulster's most capped player.

"Rob and Andrew are two outstanding individuals who have the respect of everyone within the organisation," said Ulster Director of Rugby Les Kiss.

"The shared captaincy model will give us more flexibility and continuity."

Winger Trimble has amassed a record 206 appearances for Ulster, having made his debut for the Irish province against Cardiff back in 2005, while Herring joined Ulster in 2012.

Best hinted that he may relinquish his position following the team's 30-18 Pro12 semi-final defeat by Leinster at the RDS in May.

"I'm delighted they have agreed to take on the captaincy. In the current landscape it's hard to guarantee that one player will be available all of the time," explained Kiss.

"Rory and I have been in discussions about this since the end of last season and we felt it was the perfect time for him to assist us in developing this new leadership structure. His experience of captaining both Ulster and Ireland last season will continue to be invaluable for us as a group.

"We have strong experience across our squad that will support Rob and Andrew by driving standards off the field and assisting with tactics and decision-making in training and in match situations."

Skipper role 'massively exciting'

Commenting on his appointment, Herring said: "To be able to share the captaincy with someone like Andrew is massively exciting, and together, with the support of the many other leaders in the squad, we can make strides to deliver the success that the players, staff and supporters strive for."

Trimble was equally proud to be named as captain: "To be named as captain of my home province is extremely humbling and this is without doubt one of the proudest moments of my career."

Ulster will open their new season with a Pro12 game against the Dragons at Kingspan Stadium on 2 September.

The province has been grouped with Clermont Auvergne, Exeter Chiefs and Bordeaux in Pool 5 of the European Champions Cup.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37108553

Trimble and Herring take over Ulster captaincy from Rory Best
Les Kiss has appointed co-captains for the 2016/17 season.
ULSTER HAVE CONFIRMED that Andrew Trimble and Rob Herring will captain the squad for the 2016/17 season, replacing Rory Best.

Director of rugby Les Kiss indicated that the “new leadership structure” came with the blessing of Ireland captain Best.
Inpho

31-year-old Trimble is Ulster’s most capped player with 206 appearances, while hooker Herring led the province on a number of occasions in Best’s absence last season.

“Rob and Andrew are two outstanding individuals who have the respect of everyone within the organisation and I’m delighted they have agreed to take on the captaincy,” said Kiss of his new co-captains.

“In the current landscape it’s hard to guarantee that one player will be available of all the time, so the shared captaincy model will give us more flexibility and continuity throughout the season.

Rory and I have been in discussions about this since the end of last season and we felt it was the perfect time for him to assist us in developing this new leadership structure. His experience of captaining both Ulster and Ireland last season will continue to be invaluable for us as a group.

“We have strong experience across our squad that will support Rob and Andrew by driving standards off the field and assisting with tactics and decision-making in training and in match situations.”

Ireland international wing Trimble expressed his pleasure at being appointed in the role.

“To be named as captain of my home Province is extremely humbling and this is without doubt one of the proudest moments of my career,” said Trimble. “We are a close-knit group of players and we are lucky to have so many leaders to call upon.
Inpho

“Rob is a fantastic player and captain and I believe that we have a great structure in place that will allow us to deliver on the pitch.”

Herring also shared his delight at the promotion.

“I’ve been fortunate to captain the team on a number of occasions over the past season and it has been a great privilege,” said the once-capped Ireland international.

To be named a club captain of Ulster is an absolute honour and something that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

“To be able to share the captaincy with someone like Andrew is massively exciting, and together, with the support of the many other leaders in the squad, we can make strides to deliver the success that the players, staff and supporters strive for.”
http://www.the42.ie/trimble-herring-uls ... 4-Aug2016/

Rob Herring and Andrew Trimble to share Ulster captaincy
Herring deputised as skipper for Rory Best last season Inpho
Rob Herring and Andrew Trimble will share the Ulster captaincy this season, the province announced this afternoon.

Herring, who has made 97 appearances for the province since signing in 2012, deputised as skipper for Rory Best last season. He'll share the title with Trimble, Ulster's most-capped player with 206 caps.

"I've been fortunate to captain the team on a number of occasions over the past season and it has been a great privilege," said Herring.

"To be named a club captain of Ulster is an absolute honour and something that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

"To be able to share the captaincy with someone like Andrew is massively exciting, and together, with the support of the many other leaders in the squad, we can make strides to deliver the success that the players, staff and supporters strive for."

Trimble added: "To be named as captain of my home Province is extremely humbling and this is without doubt one of the proudest moments of my career.

"We are a close-knit group of players and we are lucky to have so many leaders to call upon. Rob is a fantastic player and captain and I believe that we have a great structure in place that will allow us to deliver on the pitch."

Best was appointed Ireland captain in January and the Ulster management felt it was the "perfect time" was right for a change.

"Rob and Andrew are two outstanding individuals who have the respect of everyone within the organisation and I'm delighted they have agreed to take on the captaincy," said head coach Les Kiss.

"In the current landscape it's hard to guarantee that one player will be available of all the time, so the shared captaincy model will give us more flexibility and continuity throughout the season.

http://www.newstalk.com/Rob-Herring-and ... -captaincy

Rob Herring and Andrew Trimble named as new Ulster Rugby captains
Rob Herring and Andrew Trimble have been announced as the new captains of the Ulster Rugby squad.

Herring, who deputised as skipper for Rory Best on numerous occasions last season, and Trimble - Ulster's most-capped player with 206 caps - will share the captaincy throughout the 2016/17 campaign.

Herring joined Ulster in 2012 and has amassed 97 appearances for the Province, while Trimble's Ulster career began back in 2005 with a debut against Cardiff.

The experienced duo will replace Best, who had led both Ulster and Ireland since being appointed as national team captain in January this year.

Director of Rugby, Les Kiss, commented: "Rob and Andrew are two outstanding individuals who have the respect of everyone within the organisation and I'm delighted they have agreed to take on the captaincy.

Commenting on his appointment, Herring said: "I've been fortunate to captain the team on a number of occasions over the past season and it has been a great privilege. To be named a club captain of Ulster is an absolute honour and something that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Trimble added: "To be named as captain of my home Province is extremely humbling and this is without doubt one of the proudest moments of my career. We are a close-knit group of players and we are lucky to have so many leaders to call upon. Rob is a fantastic player and captain and I believe that we have a great structure in place that will allow us to deliver on the pitch."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 73514.html

Herring, Trimble to captain Ulster
Ulster have announced that hooker Rob Herring and wing Andrew Trimble will captain the squad during the upcoming season.

Herring, who deputised as skipper for Rory Best on numerous occasions last season, and Trimble – Ulster's most-capped player with 206 caps – will share the captaincy throughout the 2016/17 campaign.

Herring joined Ulster in 2012 and has amassed 97 appearances for the province, while Trimble's Ulster career began back in 2005 with a debut against Cardiff.

Ulster's director of rugby, Les Kiss, commented: "Rob and Andrew are two outstanding individuals who have the respect of everyone within the organisation and I'm delighted they have agreed to take on the captaincy.

Commenting on his appointment, Herring said: "I've been fortunate to captain the team on a number of occasions over the past season and it has been a great privilege. To be named a club captain of Ulster is an absolute honour and something that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Trimble was equally proud to be named as captain.

"To be named as captain of my home Province is extremely humbling and this is without doubt one of the proudest moments of my career," he said.

"We are a close-knit group of players and we are lucky to have so many leaders to call upon. Rob is a fantastic player and captain and I believe that we have a great structure in place that will allow us to deliver on the pitch."
http://www.planetrugby.com/news/herring ... in-ulster/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 18th August 2016

URTV: What Trimble and Herring bring to the Captaincy
Hear what Rob Herring and Andrew Trimble think each other brings to the Ulster Captaincy.
View HERE

SA still keeping a watchful eye on our BOK.......

Bok flank Coetzee on the mend
Gallo Images
Cape Town - Springbok flank Marcell Coetzee is excited at the prospect of playing for his new club Ulster.

Coetzee, 25, earlier this year signed a deal with the Irish club, but his debut will be delayed due to a knee injury.

His career at the Sharks came to an abrupt end in April when he a suffered an anterior cruciate ligament tear, ruling him out for up to nine months.

The layoff means Coetzee will sit out the start of the European season, but he is confident he’ll be fit to feature for Ulster early next year.

"Ulster still had confidence in me after the injury, they said they still wanted me and they were going to help me. The club has had a few ACL problems here in the past and that gave me great confidence. I must thank Ulster for their support so far it has been really immense,” Coetzee told Ulster’s official website.

"The stadium is fantastic, and playing with the likes of Rory Best, Tommy Bowe and all the legends here is going to be a heartening experience and I just can't wait to get onto the pitch."

Regarding his injury, Coetzee said: "It is going very well so far. I have been rehabbing with the Sharks and Ulster are going to take over. It has been going very well and I haven't had any setbacks.

"When you come to a new club it's extra frustrating but there is a plan after that. I have grown immensely as an individual and conditioning wise I have been working on my weak areas. It is always tough to watch the guys playing and training but this tests your character and mental toughness as a person.

"This is my first serious injury; I had been very lucky but ultimately it caught up with me, but I'm feeling very positive about it. Having said that, it's very sad that I'm not making my debut earlier.

"I have to return to South Africa to sort a few things out but when I return in October I will be able to run and train with the team."

Coetzee won't be the first Sharks player to join the Irish club.

"I spoke to Ruan (Pienaar), Franco (van der Merwe), Wiehahn (Herbst) and Louis (Ludik) and all the guys that were here and we actually joked at the Sharks that Ulster is our second base," said Coetzee. "Speaking with the guys, they say Ulster is a very unique club and I wanted to be a part of that. Just being here for a couple of days and seeing the professionalism of the management staff and players has been great. It's been really welcoming and I'd like to thank everyone for that."

Coetzee has played 28 Tests for the Springboks since making his debut in 2012.
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/bok-flan ... d-20160818

New co-captain Andrew Trimble: It takes two to replace Rory Best
Leading the way: Rob Herring and Andrew Trimble will share the role of Ulster captain after replacing Rory Best for the new season
Ulster have shaken up their leadership group with the news that Andrew Trimble and Rob Herring will act as co-captains for the upcoming season, replacing Rory Best.

Speaking after the semi-final loss to Leinster that ended the last PRO12 campaign back in May, Best appeared to intimate that it could be his final game as provincial skipper and, after consultation with Les Kiss throughout the summer, it has been decided that he will step down.

The man who turned 34 this week made 14 appearances for Ulster last season thanks to Ireland involvement and, after Paul O'Connell's retirement from rugby, has been serving as national captain since the Six Nations.

While the hooker, who ceded the captaincy once before to Johann Muller, will still have a huge influence on things at the Kingspan Stadium, it will now be Trimble or Herring who lead the side.

Speaking on the change, Kiss said: "Rob and Andrew are two outstanding individuals who have the respect of everyone within the organisation and I'm delighted they have agreed to take on the captaincy.

"In the current landscape it's hard to guarantee that one player will be available all of the time, so the shared captaincy model will give us more flexibility and continuity throughout the season.

Trimble, who has made a record-breaking 206 appearances for Ulster, says the honour of captaining the side is all the greater given his predecessor.

"To be named as captain of my home province is extremely humbling and this is without doubt one of the proudest moments of my career," said the winger. "We are a close-knit group of players and we are lucky to have so many leaders to call upon.

"Rob is a fantastic player and captain and I believe we have a great structure in place that will allow us to deliver on the pitch.

"Rory is an absolute legend in this team and everybody looks up to him. Filling his shoes is a big ask. That's why it takes two of us to be honest."

While the decision between Herring and Trimble will be made depending on the circumstances and opposition, the latter said that the team's veterans will all be expected to contribute.

"We've so many leaders in this team it would be a shame not to use them," he added. "The likes of Rory Best, Paddy Jackson, Ruan Pienaar, Tommy Bowe, the list is endless. We need to get to a point where we lead each other and everyone takes responsibility. Hopefully that's where we're going to go and it'll take us to the next level."

Herring deputised as skipper throughout last season and has proven to be a hugely reliable squad member despite making way when Best was available.

Saying he too was humbled by the honour, the native South African is proud to follow in the footsteps of some Ulster heroes.

"To be named a club captain of Ulster is an absolute honour and something that I will cherish for the rest of my life. You look at the captains that have gone before and they're legends of Ulster. If I can achieve half of what they did I'll be happy," he said.

"We wanted to take the focus off one person and make it a team thing. Captaining with Andrew, he's an Ulster legend already and it's something I'm really looking forward to."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 74780.html

How Ulster star Iain Henderson tackled issue of marriage... and got the answer he wanted
The 24-year-old Ireland flanker left his tough guy image on the pitch when he popped the question to childhood sweetheart Suzanne Flanagan on a Miami beach.

His meticulous preparations ahead of the surprise proposal, which included "always keeping the ring on my person", culminated in him getting down on one knee in the Florida sunshine.

And his plan was rewarded in style when the 25-year-old dentist from Jordanstown, whom he started dating as a 17-year-old schoolboy at Belfast Royal Academy, said yes.

"She was overly excited when I asked her to marry me on July 14 - and quite surprised too," the 26 times capped international revealed. "I think she knew that I was going to ask her at some point, but she didn't know when it would be or how I would do it."

The full-time professional player from Ballinderry whisked his bride-to-be off to America on his return from South Africa after a three-week rugby tour.

And, as you would expect from a seasoned sportsman, he went thoroughly prepared, having bought a sparkler for the special occasion ahead of the couple's summer holiday in America.

"We left for Miami on June 28 and we'd been enjoying ourselves and visiting a few theme parks in Florida before I asked her," Iain said.

"It had been on the cards. The ring had already been purchased beforehand and I had the proposal semi-planned out."

But was he not terrified that he might lose the ring before he got a chance to ask for Suzanne's hand in marriage?

"That was a worry, I admit," he said. "But most of the time it was on my person or stashed away in hotel safes. The night I ended up asking her, I didn't have a huge plan. It happened on a Miami beach after we had finished dinner.

"It wasn't overly thought out, but I got down on one knee and she said 'yes' at once."

The couple, who spent a further five days in the Sunshine State celebrating their impending nuptials, first began dating in school.

"We started seeing each other first when we were at Belfast Royal Academy -I was 17 and Suzanne was 18," said Iain, who is studying for a maths degree at the Open University.

"We stopped seeing each other when she went to Glasgow to study and I stayed in Belfast to play rugby, but we got back together again a year-and-a-half ago."

Iain said his parents, Gordon, a quantity surveyor, and Zoe, an occupational therapist, who are both in their 50s, were delighted when they heard the good news, as were his older brothers Stuart (31) and 26-year-old Richard.

"We didn't tell many people we were engaged when we were out there - just family and very close friends," he said. "But we've been drinking a lot of bottles of bubbly and celebrating with friends we've invited to the house since we've been back in Northern Ireland."

Now, the loved-up couple, who currently share a home outside Lisburn, are limbering up for a 2017 wedding once they finally settle upon date and a reception venue.

"There are wedding magazines everywhere," Iain said. "I didn't realise that there was so much to organise."

"It would need to be finalised sooner rather than later for my sanity."

The busy duo have also yet to pick a honeymoon destination.

"We haven't actually thought of anywhere yet, but maybe the Maldives or Mauritius, or somewhere like that," the rugby star told the Belfast Telegraph.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 74944.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Friday 19th August 2016

Champions Cup fixtures confirmed
EPCR today confirmed the dates and kick-off times for Rounds 1-4 of the European Rugby Champions Cup.

Ulster will begin its European adventure with an away tie against Bordeaux Bègles on Sunday 16th October (kick-off 1.00pm UK time).

The squad will then host English outfit Exeter Chiefs on Saturday 22nd October at Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 7.45pm).

Mid-December will see Ulster face ASM Clermont Auvergne in back to back fixtures followed by a trip to Exeter in January. The Pool 5 competition for a place in the quarter finals will come to a close against Bordeaux Bègles at Kingspan Stadium on the weekend commencing 20th January. Dates and kick-off times for the final two fixtures will be confirmed in December.

European Fixtures 2016/17

Bordeaux Bègles v Ulster
Sunday 16th October, 1pm,

Ulster v Exeter Chiefs
Saturday 22nd October, 7.45pm, Kingspan Stadium

Ulster v ASM Clermont Auvergne
Saturday 10th December, 1.00pm, Kingspan Stadium

ASM Clermont Auvergne v Ulster
Sunday 18th December, 3.15pm

Exeter Chiefs v Ulster
13th - 15th January, TBC

Ulster v Bordeaux Bègles
20th - 22nd January, TBC

Tickets for all home fixtures pre-Christmas will go on general sale on Thursday 1st September at 10am at http://www.ulsterrugby.com.

Priority Booking » 2016/17 Season Ticket holders will have the opportunity to purchase additional match tickets for these fixtures from 10am on Tuesday 30th August.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/15103.php#.V7bw4GD2bIU

Ludik driving Queen's University's promotion charge
Louis Ludik, David Jones (Pro-Vice-Chancellor, Queen's University), Neil Doak, Bronson Ross, Iain Henderson, Zack McCall, Johnny Stewart and Robert Lyttle
Queen's University, the oldest continuous rugby club in Ulster, is hoping with the help of Louis Ludik and former prop Bronson Ross to gain promotion to Division 1B of the Ulster Bank League this season.

The Dub based club has provided Ireland and the British & Irish Lions with some of their greatest players including Jack Kyle, Cecil Pedlow, Dave Hewitt, Trevor Ringland and Tommy Bowe. Queen's have also produced the likes of Gary Longwell, David Humphreys and Iain Henderson.

The club has four adult male teams and a female team that participate in IRFU, Ulster Branch Domestic competitions and Student Sport Ireland 15-a-side and 7-a-side competitions. Their main focus is on the holistic development of the student and athlete and to create a vibrant, enjoyable and collegiate club.

Ludik will be helping the club with their strengthening and conditioning with a view to going into that line of work when he finishes playing, while Ross is coaching the scrum.

"I'm busy doing my degree," said Ludik. "I have done a course in South Africa and have got my certificate in personal training and I really enjoyed it. I wanted to explore that direction a bit more and fortunately with the system that IRUPA has in place I could study through college. IRUPA introduced me to Queen's and the programme is to give me more experience about this type of thing, especially for after rugby, and as we know unfortunately rugby does last forever. I'm very excited by this opportunity and I just want to learn and be like a sponge and take everything in.

"The plan, the mind set and the vision they have for the university is very exciting. Guys like Mike (McGurn) have a lot of experience on the conditioning side and I am really looking forward to working with him. For me it is just about picking up experience and relationships and I'm really looking forward to it."

Having suffered his fair share of injuries during his career, Ludik is very interested in strength and conditioning:

"I have seen with my career how big an impact that can have and that is why I was interested in it. The harder you work off the field and prepare your body to go on the field, the better player you are going to be and the less injury-prone you are going to be. It is to get your body fit and conditioned to be ready for on the field, because it is a contact sport, it is tough, and the guys are getting bigger and faster by the day.

"I just want to help kids from the beginning to get them the right training and make them a better rugby player at the end of the day."

Ludik is enjoying working with the students even if he didn't play much varsity rugby.

"I didn't play much rugby at university; I think I played one season at U19s and then I went straight into the Lions U21s and then on to the seniors.

"I felt in the beginning of my career I was a little bit behind the rest of the guys because they had three years at U19, U20 and U21 to get that conditioning and I went straight into the seniors and never really had that base of conditioning

"Through the seasons I had to build my strength but I'd rather have that and get the experience from a young age."
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/15102.php#.V7bs9WD2bIU

Iain Henderson has All Blacks in his sights
With huge seasons ahead for Ulster and Ireland, Iain Henderson has history to make - he just hopes injury doesn't get in the way.

The dynamic flanker-gum-lock is one of the northern hemisphere's emerging stars but has had his patience tested with a series of lengthy spells on the sidelines since making his Ulster debut back in the spring of 2012.

Most recently, he missed a large chunk of last year when, shortly after returning from a hand problem picked up during his star turn at the World Cup, he tore a hamstring that kept him out for four months.

"I always find I play my best rugby when I get a good run but that hasn't happened much," he said at a media evening for his old club side Queen's University. "Touch wood I can have an injury-free run this year and build some momentum. It's been frustrating, everyone knows that.

"A lot of players are out for long stretches but teams and countries are definitely getting better at managing that so we come back stronger and better.

"Stuart Olding is testament to that, the way he came back and is playing so well off the back of two big injuries."

The last we saw of Henderson on the pitch was against the Springboks as Ireland made history on their June tour with a first ever Test win on South African soil. Having travelled with a squad hugely affected by injury, the prospect of a victory seemed remote but instead Ireland returned home feeling they should have sealed a series triumph.

For Henderson, any lingering frustration over a blown lead in the second Test, or the failure to secure a clinching score one week later, does not detract from the encouraging signs for a side that last season suffered a disappointing World Cup before surrendering their Six Nations title.

"Definitely from the outside there wasn't a huge amount of confidence going in," he said. "The quality of players that we had out there though, I knew we were capable of doing the job.

"Overall everyone really enjoyed the tour. Winning the first match meant that for the rest of the tour we had something to play for so it was fantastic in that sense. Going into that second Test we really thought we could do it and right the way into that second half we had it in the bag.

"That's probably what the problem was, we got a bit sloppy and let them play a bit too much.

"It's not like it was a tour where we didn't have any hope from day one. It wasn't the desired outcome but we made a bit of history and it was great to be a part of that.

"With the first Test, Paddy Jackson stood up to the mark and was absolutely incredible. Stuart Olding hasn't played a huge amount of international rugby but I thought he was fantastic. Luke Marshall wasn't getting picked for Ulster six or seven months beforehand and was incredible for Ireland.

"All those players, people wouldn't have had starting if everyone was fit. It was brilliant to see that, apart from Conor Murray, at one stage you had an all-Ulster backline."

Following the tour, Henderson flew to Miami where he proposed to his childhood sweetheart Suzanne Flanagan, joking that it was a different type of holiday for a man used to spending his summers with Jackson and Olding, but is now in the thick of new season preparations.

After the history-making win over South Africa, Henderson has his eyes on more firsts for Ireland in the coming months as the squad prepares to gather for a training camp this weekend.

Joe Schmidt - a coach the 24-year-old still hopes to see stay beyond his current contract - will lead the side into two battles with his native New Zealand, once in Chicago and once in Dublin, during a busy November with Henderson eager to contribute to another indelible mark in the rugby history books.

"I think when we meet up there'll be a big buzz coming off the last tour and there's a realisation there that, even with a load of injuries, we can compete at the highest level possible. We competed in all three Tests that we played in against South Africa," he said.

"A few of the boys thought they had a win last time (when New Zealand came back with a last-gasp try to win in 2013). I wasn't playing then but history is there to be made. We've done it once this year and there's no reason why we can't do it again in November." The All Blacks will loom large beyond the autumn, of course, thanks to a Lions tour to New Zealand this summer.

Becoming just the sixth Ulster native to represent the home nations collective in the professional era is a possibility that remains far from Henderson's thoughts at this stage.

"I'm only just back into pre-season two weeks ago so it's a long time before starting the season," he said. "It'll be even longer to the autumn internationals and the Six Nations. If I get through all that, we'll talk about the chance but I know not to be counting my chickens being relatively injury prone.

"Getting selected for that is at the very furthest point of my mind."

Like the rest of Ulster's Ireland contingent, he'll play no part in tomorrow's friendly with Exeter at Sandy Park but is eagerly anticipating the season ahead with Les Kiss' side. It was Henderson who spoke passionately last season of the desire to see Ulster's now decade-long trophy drought come to an end before the likes of Rory Best and Tommy Bowe hang up their boots but he sees the slow changing of the guard at the Kingspan as a positive as players such as himself and Jackson emerge as leaders.

"Ulster are looking like they're going towards a really good place. A few games together and, if the whole thing can gel, we're going to be in good stead," he added. "I remember when I moved into the squad, Chris Henry and Andrew Trimble were the young boys. They're the older boys now so it's interesting to see that dynamic changing and I think it's great for the team."

Iain Henderson was speaking to the Belfast Telegraph at House of Sport on behalf of his former club Queen's University Belfast.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 77333.html

No old pals act for Whitten
Pinnacle Photo Agency
Friendships will be put to one side this season for Ian Whitten as he prepares to potentially face former club Ulster Rugby three times this season.

Part and parcel of the furniture at Ravenhill as a youngster, the 29-year-old spent four years with the Irish province – even winning full international status – before he was snapped up by Exeter Chiefs head coach Rob Baxter in the summer of 2012 and brought to Sandy Park.

It was a shrewd capture by the Chiefs leader and in the years that have followed; the Lisburn-born back has established himself as an integral part of the Exeter back division, amassing over 100 first appearances for Devon’s finest.

And as Whitten gears up for his latest campaign here in the Westcountry, part of the build-up will include a meeting with his former club and the chance to lock horns with a number of close friends.

“Obviously we’ll have them three times this year having been drawn against them in the Champions Cup, so we’ll get to know them pretty well over the course of the season,” he said.

“There are still one or two old familiar faces there from my days at the club, but at the same time it can be a wee bit difficult playing against your old club because you want to show them you’re still a good player and all.

“For me it’s exciting, especially having them come to Sandy Park twice and then going back home, they are a quality side and they’ve shown that for a number of years, especially in Europe. I know from my time there just how much they focus their attentions on Europe, so I know we can expect two real testing games from them.”

For now, though, the focus is on gearing up for the 2016/17 season – one in which the Chiefs will open up with a testing opening fortnight against Wasps (away) and then defending champions Saracens on home soil.

“Wasps and Saracens is a tough start, there’s no doubt about that,” added Whitten. “We need to make sure we hit the ground running and that starts by performing here in pre-season. We have been looking good in training, but now it’s about transferring that into these games.

“All three are good Pro12 sides and will be good tests for us, but as I said we’ve got to make sure we take the hard work from the training field onto the pitch and show what we are all about.”
http://exeterchiefs.co.uk/news/no-old-p ... r-whitten/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 23rd August 2016

Ulster will be ready to rock, vows Stuart McCloskey
All in hand: Stuart McCloskey believes Ulster will shake off their pre-season defeats in time for their PRO12 opener
Ulster's Stuart McCloskey says the province will have shaken off any lingering pre-season rust before the PRO12 campaign begins with the visit of Dragons on September 2.

Les Kiss' men lost 25-19 against Exeter in their friendly game over the weekend but the players will get a final hit-out on Friday evening with Northampton Saints and Canada's A side both visiting Kingspan in a double-header.

While Saturday represented a second loss of the summer - an inexperienced side were beaten by Leinster in Navan a week prior - the centre who made his Irish debut last season says being ready for the big kick-off in two weeks is all that matters.

"It was a good first hit out for a lot of us," he said of the defeat at a Sandy Park ground they will revisit in January for a Champions Cup clash. "A lot of young guys had a run out (against Leinster) but it was more experienced this week. We obviously didn't get the results we wanted but a few guys got the game time they needed.

"I think they had a lot of front-foot ball in the first 60 minutes but there was a lot of good defensive stuff we've been working on.

"We could have had better execution in some of the phases we tried but we'll get back to where we were over the next couple of weeks.

"Northampton and Canada A, everyone will get a good run out and hopefully we'll put a few more things together than we did (against Exeter). We're happy with the defensive side and I'm sure the attack will come."

A seemingly straightforward start to the league campaign could work in Ulster's favour.

The Dragons have not finished above the PRO12's bottom four in any of the last five years while Treviso, who the province will visit in the season's second week, have only managed the feat once in that timespan.

Ulster have laboured against both in the past, however, and the Welsh region only failed to register a win in Belfast last season thanks to a late penalty from the hosts' Paddy Jackson.

McCloskey knows that, with such fine margins between the top four in recent years, a good start will be imperative to achieve the goal of a home semi-final.

"At this stage it's just trying to get everything to click before we get to that Dragons game," he said. "There's not too much worry over losing games (at this time of year). I think we have 10 or 11 players away or injured who will all filter back in during those first two weeks.

"We'll be fine and just really want to get off to a winning start in the PRO12."

Saturday's defeat came despite scores from Jacob Stockdale and Rob Lyttle, two of the young guns vying for minutes in a backline loaded with international talent, and McCloskey was impressed by the pair.

"Jacob had a good game, and Rob came on and scored two tries," he said. "Rob was close to being man of the match in only 20 minutes."

While Lyttle made an eye-catching cameo, the Queen's back had been worried before his introduction that the chance would not come his way.

Beginning to wonder if his time would have been better spent with the Academy squad on their victorious visit to Jeremy Davidson's Aurillac, the 19-year-old instead made the most of his limited minutes with a fine pair of scores as the game came to a close.

"I was starting to think if I didn't get on soon I would have been better off with the Academy side but I came on and did rightly so I was pleased," he said.

"I've found it easier this year after being involved in the last pre-season a bit. I felt like I was part of the squad rather than just filling out the numbers.

"It's been tough but enjoyable and hopefully now leading into the season I can be pushing for a few caps."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 86975.html

Ulster boss Les Kiss concern over props as new season kick-off nears Monday 22nd
Big impact: Ulster’s Rob Lyttle celebrates after scoring his side’s second try against Exeter Chiefs
Exeter handed Ulster their second loss of the pre-season in Sandy Park on Saturday, but it is the health of the province's tight-head props that has left Les Kiss fretting.

On a ground they will return to in this season's Champions Cup, the visitors ran in three tries, including a brace from substitute Rob Lyttle, but Johnny Simpson departed with an ankle injury that leaves Kiss missing three tight-heads with the season opener looming.

Newport Gwent Dragons come to Kingspan Stadium on September 2 for the PRO12 curtain-raiser - Northampton Saints visit on Friday in the last of the pre-season friendlies - with Rodney Ah You the only recognised number three currently fit.

Wiehahn Herbst will miss the opening months of the season with a groin injury while Ricky Lutton is now also battling for fitness. The loss of Simpson in Devon, therefore, has further depleted the tight-head stocks. Loose-head Andy Warwick can deputise on the other side of the scrum, and has done so sporadically throughout his Ulster career, but injury to Ah You would now represent something of a crisis.

With Iain Henderson and Sean Reidy returning later thanks to Ireland involvement in June, and Marcell Coetzee and Chris Henry starting the season on the sidelines, Ulster's preparations for the new campaign have also been hampered by a lack of available back-rowers.

"Saints will be a massive challenge and unfortunately we've got another injury in the tight-head position," said Kiss, looking ahead to Friday night.

"That's our third tight-head now injured, and that puts you under stress, but we've got to find solutions and work with it."

Ulster began Saturday's game with a close approximation of their best available team, and with Charles Piutau debuting, but Kiss was left puzzled by the first-half performance.

Don Armand and Will Chudley both crossed for the hosts in the opening quarter and, although Jacob Stockdale's try provided a response, the director of rugby made his frustration known.

"I'm obviously disappointed," said the Australian, entering his first full season in charge at Kingspan Stadium. "Twenty to 30 minutes in, it was a very slow game and we just couldn't manage the area which they managed well, the breakdown and the tackle area.

"We fell off tackles which gave them quick ball and exposed us on the edges a bit, but we scrambled well enough to keep the score 10-7 at half-time. They had the wind in the second-half and they used it well.

"I think the pre-season has been good and there are some really solid things to take forward. I just feel a little bit disappointed at some elements of the first-half here that we couldn't take control of certain areas. That starts with the physicality."

A Damian Welch score and a penalty try, as well as five points from the boot of Henry Slade, saw Exeter more than double their tally after the turn but Kiss was more satisfied with his team's efforts after Lyttle scored twice in the final 10 minutes.

"I thought Robert Lyttle and David Busby were good and Jacob did well to get his try so there was some nice stuff," he said. "If you saw the last 20 minutes here, guys did put their hands up and they're going to challenge some at the top to stay really focused. If the young guys are doing that they will get selected at some stage."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 83537.html

URTV: Ulster tries against Exeter last Saturday
Check out this video compilation of Ulster's tries against Exeter last Saturday.
View HERE
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 24th August 2016

No excuses for Ulster this season says Les Kiss
Prop shortage a problem, but Les insists province are raring to go
Ready to rock: Les Kiss will be aiming to get his hands on the Pro12 trophy again come May in the Aviva Stadium
Ulster already know they will be far from full strength when they kick off the PRO12 against Dragons next week but Director of Rugby Les Kiss says his men must meet any such challenges head on this year.

With the province having contributed heavily to the Irish cause in South Africa this summer, and sending a dozen to Irish camp over the last three days, Test stars will only become available gradually throughout the campaign's opening weeks.

Despite the PRO12's Managing Director Martin Anayi yesterday stating that the league needed to find a solution for international absentees throughout the season, Kiss will not be entertaining any excuses if there are early season stumbles.

"We're totally aware of it, it's just part of the challenge," he said. "Pre-season has been spent integrating new recruits into the system, from the Academy and from outside like Charles Piutau. Hopefully we're designing something among that group that can step up and deliver on the games when internationals aren't there.

"We're proud of the fact that this season we've provided more players to the national cause. In the last Test match (against South Africa) we had around 28% and that's as high as it's been in a number of years. Doing that means there's a bit more risk that you're going to have players out at this time of year.

"I'm aware of that, November will be the same landscape and I'm aware of the player management. These challenges pop up but we need to be bigger than that."

While the return of Irish contributors is on the horizon, how to cover the number three jersey has Kiss searching for "a solution."

Rodney Ah You, newly arrived from Connacht this summer, is an established tight-head but pre-season injuries to Ricky Lutton, Wiehahn Herbst and Johnny Simpson have left the squad without another to call upon for Friday's final pre-season friendly against Northampton Saints.

Still waiting for a timeframe to be placed Lutton's return, and while loosehead Andy Warwick has shown an ability to switch sides of the scrum, the Ballyclare man's groin problem could seriously hamper preparation for the early fixtures if it turns out to be longer-term.

"We've lost three tightheads and only have one left," said Kiss." "It's something we have to work for a solution. We have to make sure that backline that we talk about can actually do something. We haven't got an answer yet but it's something we have to find some solution for in some form and that's part of what I've to get going and work towards over the next 24 hours."

Unwilling to say if that solution could come from outside the squad - Munster signed South African Jaco Taute this week after Francis Saili's injury left them short in midfield - Kiss said the province must be wary of promoting youngsters from the Academy into the senior side before they're ready.

"What that (solution) is at the moment I can't say or answer any questions on. It's a matter of doing the right things to make sure that the right interests and the right resources are protected. You don't like to put young guys into positions that they're not quite ready for. We're going to be discerning about it. It's one of the challenges, we have a challenge in the back-row too. That's the nature of the beast. We have to find the right solutions."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 90446.html

USA here we come: Pro12 aims for the stars.... and stripes
Ulster could play Stateside in Pro12 league expansion
PRO12 bosses have described early discussions over adding American teams to the competition as "very positive."

If the idea of seeing Ulster annually take on opposition from Boston or New York in league action seems far-fetched now, Martin Anayi, the PRO12's Managing Director, has said the huge Irish population across the Atlantic could soon see it become a reality.

Speaking at the league's 2016/17 launch in Dublin yesterday, he said: "It's in our (league's) DNA to be expansionist. It went from Celtic League to PRO12 to expand horizons. Take that philosophy, start to look to other markets that might work, and the US is definitely one of those.

"It's a huge population with broadcasters who are falling in love with rugby. If they get a taste, there's no reason why we shouldn't explore it.

"There is a lot of interest for the New Zealand (versus) Ireland game in Chicago in November. There's a massive Celtic interest and a massive Italian community. When our national teams play over there, it's a big success."

On when we might see such plans come to fruition, Anayi added: "It's hard to give you time-lines. We're just at too early a stage of discussion. The reality is that it may not get done.

"There are a lot of things that could not work out but it is a very positive discussion at this point in time."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 90637.html

Star sightings are everything as PRO12 prepares to chase the American dream
Martin Anayi, the PRO12's Managing Director, has said a way must be found for the competition's international stars to feature in a higher percentage of games.

While the cross-border competition currently boasts a plethora of Irish, Welsh, Scottish and Italian Test players, often the biggest names will miss league games in favour of featuring on the international or European stage.

At the league's 2016/17 launch in Dublin yesterday, where confirmation also came that the Aviva Stadium will host this season's final and that Guinness's sponsorship deal has been extended until 2020, Anayi stressed that reversing the trend is a pressing concern.

"Getting our international players playing more often, that is key," he said.

"That's a reason why a Leinster fan will buy a season ticket, that's why a Connacht fan would buy a season ticket. It's that they want to see their top international players playing."

While Ulster have yet to feel the pinch, keeping their home-grown stars in Belfast and managing to attract marquee signings like Charles Piutau and Marcell Coetzee, finances in the league are not keeping pace with the Aviva Premiership or France's Top 14.

Anayi sees increasing the percentage of PRO12 games played by internationals, even though that would mean less fixtures domestically and at Test level, as a way to bridge the gap.

"We have to put more bums on seats on a regular basis and inject more money through sponsorship and broadcast," he said.

"That also means widening our eyes and our scope. The key thing is that we need to see the international players playing more often."

While the PRO12 continue to explore various avenues of growth, the one sure to garner the most attention is expansion into America.

Talks have taken place centered around adding teams across the Atlantic which Anayi described as "very positive."

The introduction of new teams, but also the need to play less games, would require a conference-style competition with a greater emphasis on the end of season play-offs.

Citing a growing appetite for rugby Stateside, Anayi added that the huge Irish population in the US would only help generate interest in potential additions.

"There's a massive Celtic Diaspora in America," he said.

"The fact is, there is a lot of interest for the New Zealand (versus) Ireland game in Chicago in November. That's sold-out.

"There's a massive Celtic interest and there's a massive Italian community. There are 19 million people who consider themselves Irish American.

"There are 12 million who say Italian American. I wouldn't downplay how relevant that is.

"Boston, Chicago, Philadelphia and New York, they're easier to get to, they fly direct from Dublin for example, but we haven't gone into that level of detail yet - that's just me thinking."

On how long it would take to implement such radical change, Anayi was reluctant to answer.

"It's hard to give you time-lines. We're just at too early a stage of discussion. The reality is that it may not get done," he said.

"If one of those boxes isn't ticked - if it is bad for player welfare or it is bad logistically - there are a lot of things that could not work out but it is a very positive discussion."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 90441.html

Ulster Director of Rugby Les Kiss says he has 'high expectations' for 2016-17 season
Ulster Director of Rugby Les Kiss says he has "high expectations" for Ulster as they attempt to end their 10-year trophy drought by claiming silverware in the 2016-2017 season.

"Every game matters and we have to approach it that way," said Kiss, whose side open their Pro12 campaign with a home game against the Dragons on 2 September.

Kiss lauded the impact which New Zealander Charles Piutau has already made in his short time in the province and indicated that Ulster are suffering from something of a tighthead prop injury crisis, with Rodney Ah You, Wiehahn Herbst and Johnny Simpson all on the treatment table.
Video Interview..... http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37170753

URTV: Franco looks forward to facing the Saints on Friday
In this interview Ulster Lock Franco van der Merwe discusses how the preseason friendly matches have gone so far and how having Les Kiss on board for an entire season will affect the team moving forward.
View HERE

Bowe gunning for All Black fixtures as pain of his 'last proper game' lingers on after knee nightmare
The wing hopes to play in the early weeks of the new season, but Ulster Director of Rugby Les Kiss must deal with an injury crisis in the front row.
Inpho
ULSTER AND IRELAND wing Tommy Bowe hopes to be back playing for Ulster in the opening weeks of the new season and is keen to make his presence felt during Ireland’s hectic November Test schedule.

The Monaghan man has endured a nightmare 10 months, playing one game since suffering severe knee ligament injuries in the Rugby World Cup quarter-final against Argentina.

For Bowe, no news or updates about his condition over the course of the pre-season means good news. He has been feeling fitter and stronger with each passing week of training.

“I’ve been taking part in pre-season and over the last four or five weeks, the progress in my knee has been massive,” Bowe said at yesterday’s launch of the new Pro12 campaign in the Aviva Stadium.

“Up until that stage, I still had that bit of bone bruising on the inside of my knee that I just couldn’t seem to shake off. But a bit of rest over the summer, going back to square one and building my quad strength up, hamstrings, calf strength… all around that knee.

It’s just incredible. One morning you wake up and that pain just seemed to start going away. Over the last three or four weeks has been brilliant. I’m back taking part in everything, I’m pushing myself very hard and gearing up for an exciting season. I should be good to go very soon and I’m looking forward to it.”

His April comeback away to Zebre – his sole appearance for his province since the 2014/15 Pro12 semi-final loss to Glasgow – carries some regret that outweighs the two tries he scored that day.

“I hate saying that I came back too early, but looking back I probably did,” says the 32-year-old.

“My leg felt good at the time… I ended up playing the full game and in the last five minutes I felt something in my knee. It just didn’t feel right. So I took the decision to step back, go get it looked at, readdress it.

“Thankfully I did. It’s given me time to rest my knee and I should be good to go any time in the next few weeks.”

Returning fit and firing in September leaves him plenty of room to ramp up for what will be Ireland’s toughest November schedule in recent memory. Beginning with a trip to meet New Zealand in Chicago, Ireland will face the world champions again at home before beaten World Cup-finalists Australia come calling on 26 November.

“Who wouldn’t want to be part of a trip like that squad going over to Chicago?

“It’s going to be a fixture everyone will be gunning for: a chance in a lifetime.

“But even just to get back — my last proper game, I feel, was that quarter-final. And I still feel it’s killing me inside. So the green jersey, of course, is what I hope to get myself back in to.

“For now, I’ve worked so hard over the last couple of months to get myself back to the level where I feel I can be at the top of my game. I finally feel very, very close and getting myself into this Ulster team is going to be a mission enough.”

That Ulster team will begin the season with an injury crisis closer to the coalface. The pre-season defeats to Leinster and Exeter have been comfortable viewing for Les Kiss compared to the sight of three tightheads on his injury list. Johnny Simpson limped away from Sandy Park with an ankle injury, while Wiehahn Herbst continues to struggle with a groin injury and Ricky Lutton is also battling to be fit.

“We’ve only got Rodney Ah You left standing. So we’ve got to work with that,” said Kiss.

“We’re down to one tighthead prop. That’s a bit of a challenge and we’ve got to find some solutions to that.”

Solutions doesn’t necessarily mean recruitment though, Kiss points to the academy as a resource which may need to be tapped and Andy Warwick has shown an ability to play on on both sides of the scrum.

“I’ve always been big on (the idea) that it’s a squad and you’ve got to deal with that.

“You never sell your team down the drain, but it does put extra stress on the system and we’ve got to make sure we can find the right solution to compete and look after the rest of the pack, the rest of the team. Because a lot of it does revolve around the scrum.”
http://www.the42.ie/tommy-bowe-injury-r ... 8-Aug2016/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Friday 26th August 2016

Teams named for double header at Kingspan Stadium
The coaching staff have named the Ulster squads for Friday's double header at Kingspan Stadium.

Ulster A, sponsored by CD Group, will take on Canada A at 5.15pm and the senior team will host Northampton Saints at 7.30pm.

ULSTER v NORTHAMPTON SAINTS

Hughes Insurance Academy player, Robert Lyttle, who scored two tries in a late 10-minute cameo appearance last week against Exeter, has been rewarded with selection on the left wing.

The only other newcomer to the backline is Paul Marshall, who will step into scrumhalf after Ruan Pienaar picked up an elbow injury last Saturday. It will be a first Kingspan Stadium appearance for All Black Charles Piutau, who will line out at fullback. Stuart McCloskey and Darren Cave are retained in midfield, with Brett Herron at outhalf and Louis Ludik occupying the right wing berth.

Loosehead prop Andy Warwick has been introduced to the starting XV in what is the only change to the forward pack. The Ballymena man will be joined in the front row by captain Rob Herring and Rodney Ah You. Pete Browne and Franco van der Merwe continue their second row partnership, and Robbie Diack, Clive Ross and Roger Wilson are again included in the back row department.

Director of Rugby, Les Kiss, has gone for a 6/3 split of forwards and backs on the bench. John Andrew, Callum Black and Academy player Ross Kane will provide cover for the front row, while Alan O'Connor, Conor Joyce and Matthew Rea are the other forwards selected. Backs Dave Shanahan, Sam Windsor and Jacob Stockdale make up the rest of the match day squad.

Ulster team and replacements to play Northampton Saints, Friday 26th August, Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 7.30pm):
(15-9): C Piutau; L Ludik, D Cave, S McCloskey, R Lyttle; B Herron, P Marshall;
(1-8): A Warwick, R Herring (captain), R Ah You, P Browne, F van der Merwe, R Diack, C Ross, R Wilson;
Replacements (16-24): J Andrew, C Black, R Kane, A O'Connor, C Joyce, M Rea, D Shanahan, S Windsor, J Stockdale.

ULSTER A v CANADA A

A youthful Ulster A squad will be captained by Kyle McCall as they welcome Canada A to Kingspan Stadium.

McCall is joined in the front row by his brother Zack, who will start at hooker. Craig Trenier will play in the number 3 jersey, with Kieran Treadewell and Alex Thompson in the engine room. Ireland 7s star Nick Timoney is named at blindside, with Conall Boomer and Stephen Mulholland occupying the other loose forward positions.

Angus Lloyd and Johnny McPhilips, who have impressed during pre-season so far, have been slotted into the half back roles. Rory Butler and Mark Best are partnered in midfield, with Aaron Cairns, Conor Kelly and David Busby starting in the back three.

Adam McBurney, Tommy O'Hagan, Michael Lagan and Peter Cooper will offer front row options on the bench. Ballyclare second row Alistair Burke and Hughes Insurance Academy players Aaron Hall and Marcus Rea will provide extra cover up front. Fellow Academy players Jonny Stewart and Andy Magrath, plus sub-Academy player Conor Field, are covering the backline.

Ulster A team and replacements to play Canada A, Friday 26th August, Kingspan Stadium (kick-off 5.15pm):
(15-9): D Busby; C Kelly, M Best, R Butler, A Cairns; J McPhillips, A Lloyd;
(1-8): K McCall (captain), Z McCall, C Trenier, K Treadwell, A Thompson, N Timoney, C Boomer, S Mulholland;
Replacements (16-25): A McBurney, T O'Hagan, M Lagan, P Cooper, A Burke, A Hall, M Rea, J Stewart, A Magrath, C Field.

Match preview by Les Kiss:

"I think that our pre-season preparations have been good and there are some really solid things to take forward into the new season.

"This game will wrap up pre-season and the fixture schedule has given some of our young players a chance to play against top Premiership opposition. That experience should stand them in good stead from a development perspective.

"I'm pleased to see Ross Kane get an opportunity for the seniors after injuries to three of our tightheads, and the Canada A game will allow us to get the full squad some much-needed game time against a well-drilled side.

"It goes without saying that the Saints will provide us with a massive challenge. They have a very experienced team that is full of internationals, but it's exactly the type of fixture that we need at this stage and it will be another good test for some of our young players."
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/fixtures/151 ... 7_xIWD2bIU

Andrew Trimble has bit between teeth as he becomes Ulster’s wing commander Image
Les Kiss’s new captain admits pressure is on province after too many near misses
“It’s important that our skillset, our fitness levels, our game awareness, everything moves up,” says Ulster’s Andrew Trimble Inpho/Presseye
Like most frontline Irish players, Andrew Trimble has plenty to consider and aspire to this season. There are Ulster’s opening forays in the Guinness Pro12 and the European Champions Cup, an exceptional November window featuring Tests against New Zealand in Chicago and Dublin, and then the remainder of Ulster’s campaign either side of the Six Nations, and all topped off with a Lions tour to New Zealand.

So, naturally, he’s taken on the Ulster captaincy as well.

Of course, it’s a hell of an honour for a player entering his 12th season with his native province, and someone has to do it. Rory Best managed it on top of captaining Ireland as well. But it was no surprise either when he stepped down as Ulster captain.

Still, it was somewhat surprising that Trimble would succeed him, albeit as joint captain with Rob Herring (who also assumed the role during the Test windows while Best was away last season). After all, wing is not the most obvious place, nor easiest, to be a captain, as Trimble admits himself.

Easy decision

“It certainly was an easy decision for me to make. To be honest, it wasn’t something I’d been targeting or looking forward to. It’s something I wasn’t sure if my role would be suitable for – that sort of responsibility. But it’s amazing how when Kissy [Les Kiss] suggested it, I was 100 per cent keen to do it and really up for it.

“Rob Herring is the same and hopefully the two of us can be on the same page. The leadership structure is different for us moving forward and I think it will be good for us.

“There’s a lot of leadership throughout and we’re introducing the concept of everyone taking responsibility and standing up. ‘Leading each other’ is the way Kissy phrased it and certainly it’s something a lot of us can get behind. I think that’s one of the ways we will get to the next level.”

Ah yes, the next level. For Ulster that means silverware, which has eluded them since their sole league title a decade ago.

For the last four seasons, Ulster have reached the Pro12 playoffs, losing the final in 2013 when forced to relocate the final to the RDS.

Nine ventures

There was also one European Cup semi-final defeat in 2011, in tandem with three quarter-final defeats, as well, of course, as the loss to Leinster in the 2012 final – all in a four-year period from 2011.

Commendably consistent in many respects, but just three wins and nine defeats in knockout rugby gnaws at them.

So the pressure is on again.

“You could say that alright. The last few years we have been consistently banging on the door and not getting anywhere. We’ve been getting ourselves into positions where we can capitalise or take advantage of an opportunity, and not quite getting over the line.”

“It’s something we need to look at and address, and find ways of getting around that. But it’s going to require an awful lot of mental strength and believing we are good enough to win something.”

While Trimble makes this sound like a mental issue, he admits there’s more to it than that, not least the quality of opposition. After all, five of those defeats have been to Leinster (four at the RDS), one to Northampton (away) one to Glasgow (away) and two to Saracens (one away).

“At the same time, every team in the league is going to get better this year. It’s important that our skillset, our fitness levels, our game awareness, everything moves up. That mental ability to deal with the big occasion has to move up with that.”

Horizon

Looming large on the horizon are the All Blacks, as they do, and Trimble was part of the 45-man Ireland squad that had a two-day camp earlier this week, with Joe Schmidt focussing their primary attention on that first meeting in Chicago on November 5th.

These were the “the really basic building blocks,” according to Trimble.

“Our exits, getting out of our 22, our defence and looking at the South Africa tour, a couple of errors we made and things we need to get ironed out.”

There was plenty of footage. “The All Blacks are a side that can play 10 different ways and they’re not a side that’s easy to prepare for.

“It’s an even more daunting task when you’ve got to play them twice, so it didn’t surprise me or any of the boys that there was a lot of homework squeezed into two days. And it’s really important that we go away and have thoughts on how we’re going to beat them and how we’re going about winning that game, approaching that game.”

Schmidt’s ability to de-mystify the All Blacks and come up with a game plan almost yielded a famous win the last time the countries met in November 2013.

“It’s important that we have an appreciation of how good this team is, but as well as that they are just 15 guys on a pitch and it’s important that we know that if we perform as well as we can – as we did a few years ago when we did everything but beat them – who’s to say we can’t increase that performance level another one or two per cent?”

“It’s good to have that balance. To be daunted or just to have the right amount of respect for your opposition but at the same time have a good level of self-belief and know how good we can potentially be.”
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/p ... -1.2768744

Trimble ready to play captain's role
'Easy decision' for winger to become Ulster’s co-skipper
David Trimble’s first priority is to nail down a regular starting place in the Ulster team. Oliver McVeigh/Sportsfile
He had suggested it at the end of the last season but it still came as something of a surprise when Rory Best relinquished the Ulster captaincy duties, yet Andrew Trimble didn't think twice when asked to take over.

The experienced winger will share the responsibility with hooker Rob Herring but, as Trimble admits himself, he has a job on his hands to just get into the starting XV.

The competition for places in Ulster's back three is among the best in Europe, especially with the arrival of the mercurial former All Black Charles Piutau.

Jared Payne, Tommy Bowe, Craig Gilroy, Louis Ludik, Jacob Stockdale, Piutau and Trimble will all compete with Piutau for starting berths, while Academy winger Robert Lyttle is also one to watch out for this season.

The captaincy dynamic should be fascinating, with Trimble fighting for his spot and Best assured of his place at hooker ahead of Herring. On the face of it, it seems like a unusual sub-plot, but Trimble is already seeking as much advice as he can.

"It certainly was an easy decision for me to make," Trimble said. "It wasn't something I'd been targeting or looking forward to.

"I wasn't sure if my role would be suitable for that sort of responsibility, but it's amazing how when someone suggests it to you - (Les) Kissy suggested it - I was 100pc keen to do it and really up for it.

"I've been pestering Rory for advice and information, basically just on how to be more like Rory really! The captains I've looked up to in the past - Brian O'Driscoll, Paul O'Connell, Rory, Johann (Muller) - it isn't easy to fill their shoes or try to emulate them.

"It's important to know that over the last few years, I'm obviously doing something right. My leadership style is maybe different to them, that's fine because I feel that it's maybe just as effective leading by example or providing a different angle on it."

Trimble has also become an important voice in the Ireland squad in recent times and earlier this week at Carton House, the focus on the upcoming two Tests against New Zealand was ramped up.

The All Blacks picked up where they left off after the World Cup by crushing Australia last weekend but having missed out on the heartbreaking defeat in 2013, Trimble is determined to be involved this time around.

"We looked at what they're doing at the minute, we were looking at what they did a year ago," the 31-year old explained. "The All Blacks are a side that can play 10 different ways and they're not a side that's easy to prepare for.

Daunting

"It's an even more daunting task when you've got to play them twice, so it didn't surprise me or any of the boys that there was a lot of homework squeezed into two days.

"It's really important that we go away and have thoughts on how we're going to beat them and how we're going about winning that game, approaching that game.

"The All Blacks are going to be playing plenty of games between now and then, so hopefully we'll be able to get a bit of an idea and go from there.

"From an Ulster point of view, whenever there's a fear factor, whenever you feel you're going away from home and everything has to fall into place for you to get a result or hang in there that produces a big, big display.

"It's important that we have an appreciation of how good this team is, but as well as that they are just 15 guys on a pitch and it's important that we know that if we perform as well as we can - as we did out here (the Aviva) a few years ago - we did everything but beat them out here, and who's to say we can't increase that performance level another 1 or 2pc.

"It's good to have that balance. To be daunted or just to have the right amount of respect for your opposition, but at the same time have a good level of self-belief and know how good we can potentially be."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/g ... 96769.html

Ireland U20 star McPhillips and new signing Lloyd paired at half-back in Ulster side to face Canada A
The northern province are playing two games in Kingspan Stadium tonight. Ruan Pienaar will sit out the fixtures with an elbow injury.
Inpho
IRELAND UNDER 20 out-half Johnny McPhillips starts alongside new signing Angus Lloyd as Ulster pit their A squad into pre-season action against Canada A at Kingspan Stadium this evening (17.15).

McPhillips played a crucial role in guiding Ireland to the World Rugby U20 championship final during the summer, while 23-year-old Lloyd made the move to Belfast after impressing for Trinity.

20-year-old lock Kieran Treadwell also starts the game with two McCall brothers – Kyle and and Zack – named in the front row as Adam McBurnery is held among the replacements.

Ulster A (v Canada A): D Busby; C Kelly, M Best, R Butler, A Cairns; J McPhillips, A Lloyd: K McCall (capt), Z McCall, C Trenier, K Treadwell, A Thompson, N Timoney, C Boomer, S Mulholland.

Replacements: A McBurney, T O’Hagan, M Lagan, P Cooper, A Burke, A Hall, M Rea, J Stewart, A Magrath, C Field.

The senior side will face Northampton (19.30) immediately after the A game and the starting XV features Charles Piutau, starting for the first time in Belfast.

The All Black is joined in the back three by academy player Rob Lyttle who scored twice in a brief 10-minute cameo against Exeter last weekend.
Presseye/Simon King/INPHO

Paul Marshall starts at scrum-half alongside Brett Herron with Ruan Pienaar nursing an elbow injury. Academy prop Ross Kane is among the replacements as Les Kiss takes his side towards the start of the season with just one fit tighthead.

Ulster (v Northampton): C Piutau; L Ludik, D Cave, S McCloskey, R Lyttle; B Herron, P Marshall: A Warwick, R Herring (capt), R Ah You, P Browne, F van der Merwe, R Diack, C Ross, R Wilson.

Replacements: J Andrew, C Black, R Kane, A O’Connor, C Joyce, M Rea, D Shanahan, S Windsor, J Stockdale.
http://www.the42.ie/ulster-a-team-canad ... 4-Aug2016/

'The All Blacks can play 10 different ways and they're not easy to prepare for'
Andrew Trimble and Ireland switched onto the task of beating New Zealand earlier this week.
JOE SCHMIDT’S IRELAND squad gathered at Carton House last Sunday and got through two days of preparation for November.

The All Blacks came up more than once or twice.

The mindset under the Kiwi head coach has always been about taking things one game at a time. For this meeting in their Maynooth base, Ireland’s focus was on Schmidt’s native land.

There was work on Ireland’s exiting, their defence, and more. There were reviews of several elements of the South Africa tour too, but the All Blacks were clearly in focus. Chicago on 5 November is only around the corner.

“We looked at what they’re doing at the minute, we were looking at what they did a year ago,” says wing Andrew Trimble when asked about Ireland’s early analysis of Steve Hansen’s side.

“The All Blacks are a side that can play 10 different ways and they’re not a side that’s easy to prepare for. It’s an even more daunting task when you’ve got to play them twice, so it didn’t surprise me or any of the boys that there was a lot of homework squeezed into two days.

And it’s really important that we go away and have thoughts on how we’re going to beat them and how we’re going about winning that game, approaching that game.

“The All Blacks are going to be playing plenty of games between now and then, so hopefully we’ll be able to get a bit of an idea and go from there.”

The Kiwis romped to a six-try, 42-8 victory over Michael Cheika’s Wallabies last Saturday to give Schmidt and Ireland plenty of fresh food for thought.

With Australia in Wellington this weekend for the second Bledisloe Cup clash, there will be many Irish eyes glued to the TV as they look to pick out hints of even the slightest chink in the All Blacks’ imposing armour.

Trimble mentions the “daunting” nature of looking towards two meetings with New Zealand this year, while there is an obvious excitement at the opportunity too.

Schmidt’s reputation for being able to identify and ruthlessly target opposition weaknesses faces its greatest test yet, but the head coach will stress to his players the need for confidence.

“I think it’s important that you have a bit of balance,” says Trimble.

“From an Ulster point of view, whenever there’s a fear factor, whenever you feel you’re going away from home and everything has to fall into place for you to get a result or hang in there, whenever there’s that fear factor – that produces a big, big display.

“It’s important that we have an appreciation of how good this [New Zealand] team is, but as well as that they are just 15 guys on a pitch.

It’s important that we know that if we perform as well as we can – as we did out here [the Aviva Stadium] a few years ago – we did everything but beat them here and who’s to say we can’t increase that performance level another 1% or 2%.

“It’s good to have that balance. To be daunted or just to have the right amount of respect for your opposition but at the same time have a good level of self-belief and know how good we can potentially be.”

Having switched into Ireland mode for the early part of the week, Trimble is now back into his provincial mindset with Ulster and enjoying his new role as co-captain, alongside hooker Rob Herring.

It’s a vital season for the northern province as they finally look to get over line and win the Guinness Pro12.

Director of rugby Les Kiss has opted for a co-captaincy model as a means to ensuring a greater spread of leadership in the squad, with the hope being that not having a single figure at the top of the triangle – in former captain Rory Best – will result in other leaders emerging.

Trimble is of the belief that this new modus operandi can be one part of Ulster securing the trophy that has eluded them for too long.

“It certainly was an easy decision for me to make,” says Trimble of taking on the co-captaincy.

“To be honest, it wasn’t something I’d been targeting or looking forward to. It’s something I wasn’t sure if my role would be suitable for that sort of responsibility, but it’s amazing how whenever someone suggests it to you – Kissy suggested it – I was 100% keen to do it and really up for it.

The leadership philosophy or structure is different for us moving forward and I think it will be good for us.

“There’s so much leadership in our team and I think it will be good that we all step up and take responsibility, even just back three, centre partnership, halfbacks.

“There’s a lot of leadership throughout and the idea is that two of us are doing the job, but we’re introducing the concept of everyone taking responsibility and standing up. ‘Leading each other’ is the way Kissy phrased it and certainly it’s something a lot of us can get behind.

“I think that’s one of the ways we will get to the next level.”
http://www.the42.ie/andrew-trimble-irel ... 6-Aug2016/

Team news for Ulster trip
Thirty players are making the trip over the Irish Sea for the final pre-season match of the summer against Ulster.

The Saints are heading to Belfast to play the Pro 12 semi-finalists on Friday evening (KO 7:30pm) with a starting lineup that contains a mix of the two teams which played at Franklin’s Gardens last weekend.

With no live TV coverage from the Kingspan Stadium - highlights will be on SaintsTV later in the weekend - supporters can stay up-to-date through the Saints’ official Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/SaintsRugby) and Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/OfficialNorthamptonSaints) accounts.

The club has also confirmed that Tom Stephenson sustained a broken tibia and fibula in last Saturday’s win over Rotherham, and after a successful operation has begun his rehabilitation work with the Saints’ medical team.

Meanwhile Christian Day will miss the start of the Aviva Premiership campaign after an operation on a ruptured bicep.

There is good news regarding Calum Clark, however, who is now training fully with the club’s squad.

SAINTS TEAM TO PLAY ULSTER
Pre-Season Friendly
Kingspan Stadium, Belfast
Friday, August 26th, 2016
Kick off 7:30pm
15 Ben Foden
14 Ken Pisi
13 Luther Burrell
12 Harry Mallinder
11 Ahsee Tuala
10 Stephen Myler
9 Lee Dickson
1 Alex Waller
2 Dylan Hartley
3 Kieran Brookes
4 Michael Paterson
5 James Craig
6 Tom Wood (capt)
7 Jamie Gibson
8 Louis Picamoles

Replacements
Campese Ma’afu
Mikey Haywood
Paul Hill
Courtney Lawes
Jordan Onojaife
Reece Marshall
Lewis Ludlam
Sam Dickinson
Nic Groom
JJ Hanrahan
Howard Packman
George Pisi
Juan Pablo Estelles
Tom Collins
George Furbank
http://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/news ... ster-trip/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Friday 26th August 2016

PART II

Andrew Trimble seeks perfect blend in bid to tame All Blacks
Andrew Trimble believes Ireland will need to walk a fine line between self-confidence and respect when they face the All Blacks in their international season opener in Chicago’s Soldier Field and again in Dublin two weeks later.

Steve Hansen’s world champions will have played half-a-dozen Rugby Championship games by the time they meet Ireland at Soldier Field on November 5 and the Kiwis looked ominous in trouncing Australia 42-8 in Sydney in their season opener last weekend.

“It’s important to have balance,” said Trimble after a 48-hour national camp this week. “From an Ulster point of view, whenever there’s a fear factor there, whenever we’re going away from home, everything has to fall into place. Whenever that’s there sometimes it produces a big performance.

“It’s important we appreciate how good that team is but also that they’re just 15 guys on a pitch. We know that if we perform as well as we can, like we did here a few years ago when we did everything but beat them, who’s to say we can’t improve on that by 1% or 2%?”

The Irish squad convened with speculation ongoing over whether or not Schmidt will extend his IRFU contract beyond its current end date of July 2017 but there was no indication of any intentions on the part of the in-demand Kiwi coach during a packed two days.

“The next game is the All Blacks so that’s the focus,” said Trimble. “Looking at that, and a couple areas of our game, building blocks, our exits, our defence, looking at errors we made on tour and what we need to get ironed out: There’s an awful lot squeezed into two day’s work.

“We looked at what they’re doing now, what they did a year ago. The All Blacks are a side who can play 10 different ways and that’s not easy to prepare for. It’s an even more daunting task whenever you play them twice.

“It didn’t surprise me, it didn’t surprise any of the boys, that there was a lot of homework. It’s important we go away and have thoughts on how we can beat them, how we can win that game. The All Blacks will play plenty of games between now and then so hopefully we’ll get an idea.” Two months of duties with Ulster come before all that.

Trimble and Rob Herring were named as co-captains for the seasons ahead just last week, though the winger will be equally concerned with simply holding down a spot in a back line that is now replete with enviable options.

Among them for the first time is Charlies Piutau, the former Blues and All Black master of many trades and positions who arrived in the summer via a one-season stint at Wasps with whom he made a marked impressions.

Trimble doesn’t agree with the argument Piutau will be all but guaranteed a spot but having the 24-year-old for the duration of a season that is likely to be again interrupted by a collection of international call-ups is a huge plus for the province.

“He’s pretty sharp alright. He’s been pestered by PR things, autographs and photos and this, that and the other. When we did a couple of Q&As with the new guys everybody wants to talk to Charles and there’s good reason for that. He’s an unbelievably talented player. He’s pretty special.”
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 17819.html

Tommy Bowe aims for run at season with ‘new knee’
Sportsfile
Returning to fitness, with what feels like a “brand new knee”, should be enough to put a smile on Tommy Bowe’s face.

And when he looks at what potentially lies ahead over the coming 10 months, it becomes hard to stop smiling.

Having played just once since suffering posterior cruciate ligament injuries during Ireland’s Rugby World Cup quarter-final defeat to Argentina last November, he now hopes to have a full run at a season topped and tailed with potential.

First up is the chance to become part of what he calls Ulster’s strongest ever backline.

Next, oh, just two Tests against New Zealand, with one of them in the United States.

The Six Nations is just over the horizon, and off in the All Black distance — a Lions tour.

It would be a third tour of Bowe’s career, and while it’s a million miles away right now, he’s already got two months’ running behind him.

“The Lions year makes it exciting,” said the 32-year-old.

“The last two tours were, for me, probably the most stand-out moments any player can have in his career.

“I have missed three of the last four Six Nations through injury which is really tough to take and disappointing.

“[But] I feel now I took a step back to be ready for this year. I missed the end of what could have been a really exciting finish for us knowing that I needed to get myself in the right shape for this season.

“At the moment I feel great, the work we have done is excellent.”

Bowe says he is right up there with his fellow Ireland players around the provinces in terms of workload, and believes he could be as little as a ‘a couple of weeks’ away from action.

It’s been a long road, but he’s more optimistic than ever after taking time off when he so desperately needed it.

“I hate saying that I came back too early, but looking back I probably did,” he said of the Zebre game he played in April.

“My leg felt good at the time… I ended up playing the full game and in the last five minutes I felt something in my knee. It just didn’t feel right. So I took the decision to step back, go get it looked at, readdress it.

“I had a good break over the summer, got a bit of sunshine and rested up before coming back into the season as if it were going back to basics.”

Some bone bruising was what ultimately hampered his return to fitness, an injury Bowe first believed to be innocuous, but which proved more of a challenge than expected. “It is very hard to get rid of as it is hard to do much work on it,” he explained.

“I built up my quads and my calves to new levels whereby I could take the pressure off my knee. And at this stage, it feels like it is a new knee again, it feels back to normal. I can take part in all sorts of training. I am putting the final nuts and bolts on and ready to rock.”

Bowe has overcome one challenge in getting back into the shape he’s in, but now he faces another — getting into the Ulster side.

“Right now it is all about getting into this Ulster back-line, which given that it has been strengthened yet again will be difficult enough,” he said.

“We are in a very blessed position at the moment. The [Irish] guys who went to South Africa got great experience and they are buzzing now they are back in the squad.

“And with Charles [Pitau], Jared [Payne] in the back-line creating space, these are the guys I want creating space for me. This is the strongest back line I can remember with Ulster.

“It’s difficult for Les to pick the team but at least I hope he can pick me.”

Forcing his way into that star-studded setup would bolster his case for doing so in green.

Bowe would love another shot at the All Blacks and admits he’s still hurting over Ireland’s World Cup departure.

“Who wouldn’t want to be part of a trip like that squad going over to Chicago?” Bowe admitted.

“It’s going to be a fixture everyone will be gunning for — a a chance in a lifetime.

“But even just to get back — my last proper game, I feel, was that [RWC] quarter-final... and I still feel it’s killing me inside.

“So the green jersey, of course, is what I hope to get myself back in to.

“For now, I’ve worked so hard over the last couple of months to get myself back to the level where I feel I can be at the top of my game. I finally feel very, very close.”
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 17715.html

Ross Kane handed big chance for Ulster against Northampton Saints at Kingspan Stadium
Academy prop Ross Kane will be thrust into the coalface on Friday night when Ulster meet Northampton Saints at Kingspan Stadium. The Irish Province have a mini injury crisis in the tighthead prop position and with Ulster ‘A’ also playing Canada ‘A’ as a curtain raiser to the senior match, resources have been stretched.

Kane, from Bangor, will almost certainly get some game time and the chance to get a flavour on life in the front row against the crack English Premiership outfit. Ulster have already lost two pre-season friendlies on the road and director of rugby, Les Kiss, is expecting his first home hit-out of the season to end in a more favourable result.

A victory over the Saints would give Ulster the little boost they need ahead of going into next week’s Guinness PRO12 League opener against Newport Gwent Dragons in Belfast. The double header on Friday gives Kiss and his management team the ideal opportunity to glance over their charges once again. Kiss said: “It was important we gave enough players to have a chance in the pre-season build-up. “We had the extra game against Leinster which allowed the young players to play and show us what they had.

“We have the Canada ‘A’ game this week on top of the senior game and that ensures everyone is given an opportunity to raise their game. ”Kiss was disappointed to lose last week’s game in Exeter, but felt the last 20 minutes was a better reflection of where the side are at. “There were guys who put their hands up last week and they are going to challenge some guys at the top to really focus on what they need to improve on. “It is exactly the environment we want to have here at Kingspan.”

One player who gets a massive opportunity on the senior side is winger, Robert Lyttle. He came off the bench last week and scored a breace of tries as Ulster reduced the decifict to 25-19 against Exeter. The Hughes Insurance Academy youngester starts on the left wing against Saints tonight. The only other newcomer to the backline is Paul Marshall, who will step into scrumhalf after Ruan Pienaar picked up an elbow injury last Saturday. It will be a first Kingspan Stadium appearance for All Black Charles Piutau, who will line out at fullback.

Stuart McCloskey and Darren Cave are retained in midfield, with Brett Herron at outhalf and Louis Ludik occupying the right wing berth. Loosehead prop Andy Warwick has been introduced to the starting XV in what is the only change to the forward pack. The Ballymena man will be joined in the front row by captain Rob Herring and Rodney Ah You. Pete Browne and Franco van der Merwe continue their second row partnership, and Robbie Diack, Clive Ross and Roger Wilson are again included in the back row department. Kiss added: “This game will wrap up pre-season and the fixture schedule has given some of our young players a chance to play against top Premiership opposition. “I’m pleased to see Ross Kane get an opportunity for the seniors after injuries to three of our tightheads.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-7545166

Frustrated Tommy Bowe still playing waiting game to make Ulster return
Tommy Bowe continues his battle to return to full fitness and will not be involved in Friday night’s double header at Kingspan Stadium. The British Lions winger managed just one appearance for his club last season. Serious knee ligament damage sustained during Ireland’s World Cup quarter-final loss to Argentina almost a year ago sidelined Bowe. His rehab has gone well but the process of getting back into the fray has been slow.

He trained with the club in Portugal ahead of the start of the pre-season games which have seen Ulster lost to both Leinster and Exeter Chiefs on the road. Friday night rugby returns to Belfast tomorrow evening and Ulster fans have the opportunity of seeing two games at Kingspan Stadium. First up at 5.15pm will be Ulster ‘A’ against Canada ‘A’ before Northampton Saints take on the Ulster senior side. The games will give more players some game time - some making their first appearances of the season - ahead of the opening Guinness PRO12 game against Newport Gwent Dragons on Friday, September 2.

However, Bowe may have to wait a little bit longer before he is back on the pitch. On his fitness Bowe said: “I feet great, I’m been fit the last four or five weeks. “Yes, my knee has been a bit of a disaster over the last 10 months, I managed to get myself back for that game in April and I had a bit of bone bruising on the knee. “It seems so innoxious bone bruising, but something that seems very hard to get rid of and there is very little that you can do.

“I had a nice break over the summer, went away got a bit of sunshine and was able to rest up. “I was able to come back into the new season and go back to basics to try and build up my quads, hamstring and calf to new levels to take the pressure of my knee. “The difference that has made in the last four or five weeks has been unbelievable and it feels like a new knee and back to normal again. “That is great and I can take part in all sorts of training and I’m at that level where I can put the final nuts and bolts on for myself to be hopefully able to be ready to rock. ”In terms of when he can make an appearance in the Ulster jersey again, Bowe said it was basically a wait and see situation.

“I do not think I am bring protected - far from it,” he exclaimed. “I have chatted to Les (Kiss) about games and to have something to aim. “Just having something to work to pushes you a bit ahead of where you should be instead of listening to your body and your body telling you that you are ready now. “I hope to be ready to go as soon as possible, but I have a few markers still to tick over the next couple of weeks and then I will be ready to go.”
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-7542695
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Saturday 27th August 2016

ULSTER 29 NORTHAMPTON 19
DicksonDigital.com
New All-Black recruit Charles Piutau lit up Kingspan Stadium tonight as he scored a try and made two more in a ten-point victory over top Premiership outfit Northampton Saints in Ulster's final pre-season friendly.

Tries from Louis Ludik, Piutau and Rob Herring stunned the visitors in a faultless first half, and while Saints clawed back three scores in the second period, electric pace from Piutau set up the decisive fourth for Jacob Stockdale to cap an impressive individual display from the full-back.

While both teams were far from full strength, Ulster started with big-name new recruits Piutau and Rodney Ah You in their ranks, while Northampton brought England captain Dylan Hartley and Stade Toulousain exile Louis Picamoles to the party.

No more than 10 minutes had elapsed before Ah You booked his first stay in the Kingspan sinbin for a borderline tip-tackle, but staunch Ulster defence held Saints at bay, and a sublime take by Piutau from out-half Brett Herron's crossfield kick set up the first score for a short-handed Ulster five minutes later.

A quick exchange between the Kiwi and Academy winger Robert Lyttle created the space for Ludik, playing at centre, to barge over for the try, converted by the versatile Lyttle.

The former Methodist College man added a penalty moments later as Picamoles saw yellow for a high tackle, and notched over his second conversion on 24 minutes after a signature darting run from Marshall, quick offload and long pass found Piutau on the right wing for his first try in Ulster colours.

The third try, grounded five minutes before the break, was less about craft than it was brute force, as home skipper Rob Herring touched down off a perfectly-executed Ulster rolling maul, with Lyttle once again spot-on from the boot.

The youngster even came closer to capping a flawless half with a breakaway try a minute from the whistle after intercepting deep in his own half, only brought to ground by the Northampton chasers as he careered into their '22'.

Half-Time Score Ulster 24 Northampton 0

Sluggish defence from Ulster let prop Alex Waller in for a try with the second half three minutes old, but after weathering ten minutes' worth of persistent yet uninspired probing from Saints, an electric break from halfway by Piutau - looking more and more the real deal with every touch - gave Stockdale the try by the left-hand corner flag.

Northampton responded on the hour through Tom Collins, again by the flag, and grabbed another five minutes later as Juan Pablo Estelles was first to JJ Hanrahan's grubber kick, Stephen Myler converting.

Ulster regrouped well to withstand the barrage of final Northampton onslaughts, and a lap of honour from Piutau - already a fan-favourite by all accounts - at the final whistle received the ovation it deserved.

The Kingspan fans now have only a week to wait before the season proper kicks off, with Newport-Gwent Dragons the visitors on Friday 2nd September.

Ulster Team
(15-9): Charles Piutau; Jacob Stockdale, Louis Ludik, Stuart McCloskey, Robert Lyttle; Brett Herron, Paul Marshall
(1-8): Andy Warwick, Rob Herring (c), Rodney Ah You, Pete Browne, Franco van der Merwe, Robbie Diack, Clive Ross, Roger Wilson
Replacements: John Andrew, Callum Black, Ross Kane, Alan O'Connor, Conor Joyce, Matthew Rea, David Shanahan, Sam Windsor, David Busby, Jonny McPhillips, Mark Best, Ciaran Treadwell, Steve Mulholland, Nick Timoney

Northampton Team
(15-9): Ben Foden; Ken Pisi, Luther Burrell, Harry Mallinder, Ahsee Tuala; Stephen Myler, Lee Dickson
(1-8): Alex Waller, Dylan Hartley, Kieran Brookes, Michael Paterson, James Craig, Tom Wood (c), Jamie Gibson, Louis Picamoles
Replacements: Campese Ma'afu, Mikey Haywood, Paul Hill, Courtney Lawes, Jordan Onojaife, Reece Marshall, Lewis Ludlam, Sam Dickinson, Nic Groom, JJ Hanrahan, Howard Packman, George Pisi, Juan Pablo Estelles, Tom Collins, George Furbank

---

Ulster A 48 Canada A 38

Prior to the Ulster v Northampton game, Ulster A, sponsored by CD Group, held off a spirited second half comeback by Canada A to win a thrilling encounter on a scoreline of 48-38.

Ulster started the game in bright fashion and some good work from Conall Boomer won a penalty, which Johnny McPhillips had no trouble in knocking over from 24m.

The first try of the game came on 14 minutes when Canada number 8 Admir Cejvanovic broke through the middle before Conor Keys bustled over from close range, but Gordon McRorie was unable to add the conversion.

On 23 minutes the lively Aaron Cairns picked up a grubber kick and slid in to put Ulster 8-5 in front, then five minutes later a driving maul rolled over the line and McPhillips added the extras to extend the lead to 15-5.

In the final two minutes of the half Ulster scored two tries in quick succession from Conor Fields and McPhillips, who converted both to put Ulster 29-5 ahead at the interval.

While Ulster finished the first half strongly, it was Canada who exploded into the second half with two tries in the opening three minutes from Kainoa Lloyd and McRorie to reduce the arrears to 12 points.

On 51 minutes Craig Trenier dived over from close range to stem the Canada tide and Fields added the extra points, having assumed kicking duties.

However, Canada continued to surge forward and were rewarded with another quickfire brace of tries on 53 and 56 minutes. There was now a single figure deficit between the sides, Ulster 36 Canada 31.

The hosts' spirited display was rewarded on 68 minutes as they touched down again to level the game for the first time, but Man of the Match Nick Timoney responded a minute later with a superb individual try to edge Ulster 43-38 ahead.

In the final ten minutes Ulster continued to pile on pressure but Canada also looked menacing on the counter attack. With time running out Ulster replacement hooker Adam McBurney touched down off the back of a huge driving maul to secure the win for his team.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/fixtures/151 ... 8Fr7mD2bIU

Ulster blow Northampton away as Charles Piutau gives Ravenhill a taste of what is to come
The new signing marked his home debut with a first try in Ulster colours.
Presseye/Brian Little/INPHO
TOP-FLIGHT RUGBY returned to Belfast with a bang as impressive Ulster dispatched English Premiership hopefuls Northampton with a powerhouse display that will buoy Les Kiss’s side with confidence for the coming term.

Tries from Louis Ludik, Charles Piutau and Rob Herring blew the visitors away in a faultless first half, and while Saints responded in kind in the second period, a killer break from Piutau for Jacob Stockdale’s decisive score gave the Kingspan faithful a mouth-watering hint of the superlative rugby they can expect from the Kiwi in the 2016/17 season proper.

While both teams were far from full strength, Ulster started with big-name new recruits Piutau and Rodney Ah You in their ranks, while Northampton brought England captain Dylan Hartley and Stade Toulousain exile Louis Picamoles to the party.

No more than 10 minutes had elapsed before Ah You booked his first stay in the Kingspan sinbin for a borderline tip-tackle, but staunch Ulster defence held Saints at bay, and a sublime take by Piutau from out-half Brett Herron’s crossfield kick set up the first score for a short-handed Ulster five minutes later.
Jacob Stockdale goes over for Ulster's final try. Presseye/Brian Little/INPHO

A quick exchange between the Kiwi and Academy winger Robert Lyttle created the space for Ludik, playing at centre, to barge over for the try, converted by the versatile Lyttle.

The former Methodist College man added a penalty moments later as Picamoles saw yellow for a high tackle, and notched over his second conversion on 24 minutes after a signature darting run from Marshall, quick offload and long pass found Piutau on the right wing for his first try in Ulster colours.

The third try, grounded five minutes before the break, was less about craft than it was brute force, as home skipper Rob Herring touched down off a perfectly-executed Ulster rolling maul, with Lyttle once again spot-on from the boot.

The youngster even came closer to capping a flawless half with a breakaway try a minute from the whistle after intercepting deep in his own half, only brought to ground by the Northampton chasers as he careered into their ‘22’.
Robert Lyttle impressed again Presseye/Brian Little/INPHO

Sluggish defence from Ulster let prop Alex Waller in for a try with the second half three minutes old, but after weathering ten minutes’ worth of persistent yet uninspired probing from Saints, an electric break from halfway by Piutau – looking more and more the real deal with every touch – gave Stockdale the try by the left-hand corner flag.

Northampton responded on the hour through Tom Collins, again by the flag, and grabbed another five minutes later as Juan Pablo Estelles was first to JJ Hanrahan’s grubber kick, Stephen Myler converting.

Ulster regrouped well to withstand the barrage of final Northampton onslaughts, and a lap of honour from Piutau – already a fan-favourite by all accounts – at the final whistle received the ovation it deserved.
http://www.the42.ie/ulster-northampton- ... 7-Aug2016/

Piutau makes instant impact
Rodney Ah You in action against Kieran Brookes and Louis Picamoles Oliver McVeigh/Sportsfile
It may have been only a pre-season work-out, but Ulster's All Black import Charles Piutau showed what a prodigious talent he is.

Piutau scored one try, set up two others while Louis Ludik, Rob Herring and Jacob Stockdale also scored while wing Robert Lyttle banged over three early conversions and a penalty.

But it was the New Zealand star who just exuded sheer class throughout as Ulster defeated a full-bodied Northampton squad at the Kingspan last night. Both new boys Piutau, and prop Rodney Ah You, showed what they could bring to the party with some rumbustious early charges.

It was Piutau's piece of magic that allowed Ulster to take the lead in the 17th minute with a classic mid-air take before Lyttle put Ludik in for the try. Piutau then finished off some quick-witted work by Paul Marshall whose tap penalty opened up the Saints defence which allowed All Black to crash over. A pushover try from a line-out further enhanced Ulster's lead with skipper Rob Herring getting the touchdown. Lyttle converted as Ulster led 24-0 at the break.

With both benches being used at regular intervals, the game obviously was a stop-start affair although it was the Saints that scored first on the resumption through prop Alex Waller.

Then came the other piece of typical New Zealand flair by Piutau when he broke through and, although tackled 10 metres out, he managed a wonderful flip-pass to Stockdale who ran in try number four. Saints did manage to cross the line a few more times with Tom Collins and JP Estelle touching down.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/u ... 99480.html

Charles Piutau gives Ulster reason to be optimistic
New Kiwi centre scores a try in his home debut in front of the Kingspan Stadium
Inpho
New signing Charles Piutau stole the show as Ulster wrapped up their pre-season friendlies with a notable win over a powerful Northampton Saints side.

Piutau not only scored a try but made two more of Ulster’s four-score haul on his first outing in front of the Kingspan Stadium crowd.

Louis Ludik, captain Rob Herring and Jacob Stockdale were Ulster’s other try scorers on the night with Rob Lyttle converting three and managing a penalty.

The home side lead 24-0 at the break and then took it to 29-5 after Stockdale crossed.

Though the Saints managed second-half tries from Alex Waller, Tom Collins and Juan Pablo Estelles to narrow the home side’s lead to 10 points, Ulster, with Piutau always prominent, held firm.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/c ... -1.2769929
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Saturday 27th August 2016

PART II

URTV: Ulster tries v Northampton
On Friday night at Kingspan Stadium Ulster recorded a 29-19 victory over Northampton Saints in the last of our pre-season friendlies.

Here are the four tries scored by Louis Ludik, Charles Piutau, Rob Herring and Jacob Stockdale, accompanied by commentary from Tommy Bowe and Dan Tuohy!
View Tries HERE

Charles Piutau begins his reign at Ulster with a classy display over Northampton
Running man: Charles Piutau strides forward
Just as nobody at the Kingspan Stadium will have been unduly concerned about the two defeats that began the pre-season, Les Kiss and company will not be attaching too much stock to the 29-19 victory over Northampton Saints last night in their final run-out before the big PRO12 kick-off.

The first-half performance, however, will do little to quell the excitement growing around Ulster this year.

When these particular English visitors last came to Belfast, their hosts came into the contest on the back of a 13-game winning run in all competitions.

Ulster were defeated that night, and also lost Tommy Bowe for five months thanks to the injury he shipped, and a season that started with such promise once again ended without silverware.

That squad - led by Mark Anscombe, who was in attendance last night watching his Canada 'A' squad lose to their Ulster counterparts - were the last Ulster team that entered a season seemingly this well poised to end a trophy drought that now stretches back a decade.

At the PRO12 launch held in Dublin last week, the buzz surrounding the squad was palpable as the additions of Charles Piutau, the All Black superstar who has had to wait 16 months for his Kingspan bow, and Springbok Marcell Coetzee have the Belfast outfit among the favourites to lift the trophy in the Aviva Stadium come May.

And last night, Piutau, with his first chance to show what he is capable of, duly delivered. Scoring a try and having a hand in another two, he earned the man of the match honours and looks sure to have a massive impact in the coming months.

Another summer acquisition, Rodney Ah You, has also been talked about a lot at Kingspan this summer as the prop is the last fit recognised tighthead in the senior squad.

With Wiehahn Herbst, Ricky Lutton and Johnny Simpson all picking up knocks in pre-season, the Kiwi signed from champions Connacht was another to impress, holding his own against a powerful Saints scrum, even after making an inauspicious start to his Kingspan career.

With the game only 10 minutes old, a high tackle on Ben Foden saw him yellow carded with Academy prospect Ross Kane thrown into the fray as a result.

Ulster survived the resulting scrum on their line when Louis Ludik made a strong tackle in midfield before Stuart McCloskey bundled the Saints into touch.

With the second quarter fast approaching, Piutau did well to diffuse a testing situation in the air before Robert Lyttle, the Queen's back who has been the star of pre-season to date, broke upfield.

His inside pass found Ludik, who finished strongly.

After impressively converting, Lyttle extended the lead further from the tee after Louis Picamoles was binned for a high tackle.

With the healthy crowd fully enjoying the fare on show, they got the moment they came for after 24 minutes with Piutau's first try in an Ulster jersey.

After good work from Jacob Stockdale, Paul Marshall quickly took a penalty and after a strong carry from Robbie Diack, Brett Herron fired an exceptional miss-pass to the All Black on the wing.

Taking it in his stride, a powerful hand-off was all that was required to go over in the corner.

Lyttle's conversion from the sideline was on target and things got even better for Ulster shortly before the turn.

Rob Herring, made co-captain along with Andrew Trimble this summer, delivered into the line-out and as the maul rumbled threateningly towards the line, was on hand to touch down.

Lyttle again converted and Ulster, despite still waiting for their Irish internationals to return, carried a 24-point lead into the interval.

The second half was a different matter with, as is so often the case in these affairs, plenty of substitutions robbing the game of its flow.

The Saints piled on plenty of pressure and got their reward only minutes into the half when prop Alex Walker went over. Piutau was quickly back to the fore as, after a try-saving intervention, a searing break seemed sure to deliver his second. While a last-ditch tackle stopped him short, his pass sent Stockdale into the clear.

The conversion was missed with the try proving to be the end of Ulster's scoring for the night.

Jim Mallinder's men ended with 14 unanswered points through tries from Thomas Collins and JP Estelles, but Ulster's thoughts will have already turned to next week's opener with Dragons at home on Friday night.

Referee: Lloyd Linton (Scotland)

Match rating: 7/10

Man of the match: Charles Piutau
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 99541.html

Kiss sure Piutau can boost chances of trophy success
As debuts go it was undeniably eye-catchng and will only add to the hype surrounding Charles Piutau's presence and just what it might mean for Ulster going forward.

Still, when you score and are instrumental in carving out two further scores then the excitement is understandable. And that wasn't all as Piutau was also busily effective in defence, extinguishing several dangerous looking Saints attacks.

It was already known he was the real deal after last season's superb form at Wasps, now the hope is that there will be plenty more of what was on show during last night's man of the match display on his Kingspan debut when the PRO12 kicks off on Friday at home to the Dragons.

Ulster Director of Rugby Les Kiss reckoned that Piutau hadn't "done too badly" last night with his tongue firmly planted in his cheek.

"I think Charles would say it's all about a team game but he has come here and been exceptional to what he has given to Ulster, the people here and engaging with the community the way that only good people do," Kiss said.

"When you give you get return like that from the crowd," added Kiss after Piutau made his way around the ground greeting the supporters after the final whistle.

"I think that, first and foremost, is the most important characteristic Charles brings and his team-mates have really bonded with him and him with them.

"And also he is an exceptional player.

"But I think it's a real plus that Charles has come here and given so much," added a contented Kiss.

"I know the work Charles has done with Jacob Stockdale and Rob Lyttle during the week and the little chats all matter and Charles knows that he could live off what the forward pack gave him in that first half.

"We're only scratching the surface about where we are but I think overall we've got to be happy with a lot of the performance.

"Stuart McCloskey was very strong as was Roger (Wilson) in that first half and we had John Andrew come on and he really stood up in the game and I thought our scrum went well against a fairly loaded Saints team.

"And so there were a lot of pluses around the park and the way Paul Marshall changed the game with his taps and when we play up tempo we're a difficult team to contain," Kiss stated.

"And Charles added to it which was not surprsing at all."

As for the actual result, Kiss was well contented with the performances from both the senior and A teams.

"To get to this point is really pleasing," said Kiss of last night's final hit-out before the serious stuff begins.

"It was nice to build to a point where we could deliver what we delivered. We tried to get a couple of big teams (in friendlies) with Exeter and Northampton from the Premiership and we knew it would give us a physical challenge and it was very pleasing how it went."

On the injury front, though, Kiss was less optimistic regarding the availability of prop Ricky Lutton (groin) for next Friday while Louis Ludik's finger injury - which forced him off last night - also sounded less than promising.

Kiss was, though, more upbeat regarding Ruan Pienaar's elbow issue which meant the South African sat out last night.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 99540.html

Piutua impresses as Northampton defeated at Kingspan
Ulster Charles Piutau scores his debut try against Northampton Saints while tackled by Ben Foden during a pre-season friendly at the Kingspan Stadium. Brian Little/PressEye
Ulster’s marquee signing Charles Piutua thrilled home supporters at Kingspan Stadium last night with a breath taking display against English Premiership visitors Northampton Saints.

Piutua powered over for a first half try and then played a major role when turning provider for Louis Ludik and Jacob Stockdale either side of the break as Ulster won 29-19.

The New Zealander - who kept Ulster fans waiting over a year to make his home debut - showed why it was well worth the wait as he was named as the CD Group ‘Man of the Match.

Also impressing was the lesser known Hughes Ulster Academy player, Robert Lyttle. He backed up last week’s cameo role off the bench by scoring two tries in a quality 40 minutes display as well as showing his place kicking ability was top notch by landing two touchline conversions with ease.

Ulster had come into their final pre-season friendly on the back of two narrow losses away to Exeter Chiefs and Leinster and were keen to put down a marker ahead of next week’s Guinness PRO12 League opener at home against NG Dragons.

When Saints named an experienced side including several English internationals, there was a little concern Ulster may struggle, particularly at scrumhalf given they were facing a minor tighthead prop crisis.

Any worries were quickly allayed however and, after soaking up some early Saints pressure, Ulster’s domination of the first half was reflected in their 24-0 lead.

The home side raced into a 10-0 lead after 20 minutes - when prop Rodney Ah You was in the sin-bin - and Louis Ludik went over.

Lyttle converted and then added a penalty after Saints number eight Louis Picamoles was also sent to the bin.

Piutau delighted the home support when he forced his way over for a try on 24 minutes, Lyttle landing the touchline conversion.

Captain Rob Herring got in on the act from a line-out and driving maul as Lyttle sent the home side in 24-0 ahead at the break with the conversion.

Piutau’s brilliance brightened up a somewhat duller second half for Ulster, his hand-off and then off-load putting Stockdale away.

Saints scored three second half tries, converting two, to leave the scoreline more respectable - albeit somewhat flattering.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/ulster ... -1-7547185

MORE......

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/r ... ame-ulster

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/inte ... orthampton
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Monday 29th August 2016

From prop concerns to Piutau promise: It's your big Ulster season preview
Will this be the year Rory Best gets his hands on a trophy for his native province?
Presseye/Matt Mackey/INPHO
IT WAS A SICKENINGLY familiar finish to last season for the northern province as they went down, once again, away to Leinster in the semi-final.

In Europe too, it was a familiar foe who pulled the rug from under Ulster as Saracens showed every ounce of their title credentials in accomplished home and away wins in the Champions Cup.

Despite those crushing disappointments though, Les Kiss’ first season in full-time charge gave plenty of reasons for real optimism.

It was the season when Paddy Jackson showed the rest of the world the quality and confidence that Ravenhill always knew existed. The season when Stuart McCloskey backed up his barn-storming first full campaign so thoroughly that only the restricted international minutes should be real cause for disappointment. And another season when they took a torch to the notion that winning in France is a rarity.

What’s changed?

The captaincy has been handed down from Rory Best to co-captains Andrew Trimble and Rob Herring. Undoubtedly the biggest change though, will be the presence of a bona fide star of world rugby in Charles Piutau. Back row Marcell Coetzee is a more pragmatic signing to boost the forward muscle with Nick Williams allowed to go join Cardiff, but the Springbok won’t be fit to play until the new year.

Rodney Ah You is already looking an important signing (more on that below) from Connacht while young lock Kieran Treadwell and scrum-half Angus Lloyd arrive are also Irish-qualified, coming in from Harlequins and Trinity respectively.
Presseye/Darren Kidd/INPHO

On top of Williams’ exit, Sam Arnold has gone south to Munster and Rory Scholes followed Michael Allen to Edinburgh.

Euro-vision

Escaping Champions Cup pools is a damn sight more difficult than it was during the Heineken Cup era, but Ulster will surely be pleased to have avoided Saracens this time around.

While Clermont are never short of a serious array of talent, they’re susceptible to some big blips (most notably late in the season, but also on the road). Exeter Chiefs and Ian Madigan’s Bordeaux Begles are quality opposition too, but winning home and away is a very real possibility for Ulster.

Why they ought to be excited

We’ve mentioned Charles Piutau, right?
Presseye/Simon King/INPHO

The All Black feels like an even better signing now than when Ulster announced the deal 18 months ago. Piutau has had a season to adapt to the northern hemisphere and left English rugby utterly shredded by his skill-set.

The only issue is, he strengthens an areas which was already one of Ulster’s strongest. So – presuming Jared Payne will move into midfield permanently – between Tommy Bowe, Andrew Trimble, Craig Gilroy, Stu Olding and Louis Ludik, there will always be a number 23 with a point to prove on the Ulster bench.

Big concern

They may look over-stocked in the back three, but injuries in pre-season have left Allen Clarke’s forward pack looking very light.

Three tighthead props are on the injured list to start the new season and Rodney Ah You — a powerful man, but not the fittest prop around — is the only natural ’3′ left standing. If they can’t bus someone in from another province, it will be down to Andy Warwick to switch sides to take some weight off the Ireland international’s shoulders.

27 May, are they Aviva-bound?

To make (and win) the final, Ulster need to give themselves the best possible chance by taking a top two place and a home semi-final — then hope Leinster aren’t on the other side in the final.

Last season they were only four points shy of that mark, so making the top two means maintaining a high rate of consistency from the very start of the season and making sure to put the foot down and take bonus points when they have teams beaten at home.
http://www.the42.ie/ulster-2016-17-seas ... 9-Aug2016/

URTV: Allen Clarke discusses Ulster's win over the Saints
In this post-match interview Allen Clarke discusses the stand-out performance of the Ulster side that faced the Northampton Saints last night.

View HERE

Image THE FLIP SIDE :compress:

Dragons mulling over Morgan return for Ulster opener
WALES international Tyler Morgan could be used as an impact sub by Newport Gwent Dragons in their Guinness Pro12 opener at Ulster on Friday evening, writes Chris Kirwan.

The 20-year-old centre/wing did not in pre-season after touring New Zealand with the national team, when his sole appearance was in the midweek loss to the Chiefs in Waikato.

Adam Warren, Jack Dixon and Sam Beard have lined up in midfield in the fixtures against Cardiff Blues and Exeter while Pat Howard and Adam Hughes have been used on the flanks along with Warren.

But national dual contracted Morgan adds an extra dimension and the Dragons are tempted to use the game-breaking abilities off the bench in Belfast on Friday (kick-off 7.35pm).

"We might involve Tyler against Ulster," said head coach Kingsley Jones. "We had a chat with (Wales coaches) Warren Gatland and Rob Howley and we all feel that he needs to play.

"Tyler is chomping at the bit and I might select him on the bench, although that might be a bit harsh on one or two players so I have to be careful.

"Hallam Amos will be a bit later because he played three Tests and we will see how that goes, but what I want to create competition and the boys that have played in pre-season have done themselves no harm.

"I have to be sensible and can't just put people straight back in the team; when players have played well I have to reward them."

Influential South Africans Rynard Landman and Brok Harris are likely to come into the tight five after being left out of the Exeter game with niggles while captain Lewis Evans, who was unavailable last Friday, is set to come into the back row.

"My only concern is that they only had 50 minutes against the Blues so it might be a challenge for them over there, so if they start my replacements are made for me," said Jones.

Back row/lock Nick Crosswell will be monitored after suffering a head injury against the Chiefs.

Wings Ashton Hewitt and Tom Prydie are still on schedule following shoulder and knee injuries respectively while fly-half Dorian Jones is recovering from a pubis symphysis problem.

The management should learn shortly whether hooker Elliot Dee needs surgery on the injury to his right ankle that he suffered in the first pre-season game against the Blues.
http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/ ... er_opener/
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Monday 29th August 2016

PART II

Pienaar ready to boost Ulster for season opener against Dragons
High hopes: Ruan Pienaar is expected to shake off an elbow injury ahead of Ulster’s first Pro12 game against the Dragons
Ulster Director of Rugby Les Kiss downplayed fears over influential scrum-half Ruan Pienaar's elbow injury after watching his side defeat Northampton Saints in their final pre-season friendly.

The province welcome Newport Gwent Dragons to Kingspan Stadium on Friday night for the first game of the Guinness Pro12 campaign with Kiss saying he was "more hopeful than not" that Pienaar would be fit to play.

The Springbok World Cup winner's deputy Paul Marshall filled in effectively against Saints last week, while youngsters Angus Lloyd and Dave Shanahan have also featured throughout the pre-season, but the presence of Pienaar would still provide a sizeable boost.

"He did a good session out the back with minimal contact," Kiss said. "It's an elbow and there's no real ligament damage. I would say at this stage we're more hopeful than not for (this) week."

The verdict was less promising on prop Ricky Lutton. Injuries throughout the pre-season have left Lutton, Wiehahn Herbst and Johnny Simpson on the sidelines with Rodney Ah You the only fit tight-head in the senior squad.

Academy player Ross Kane was on bench duty last week with Kiss admitting that it remains hard to put a timescale on Lutton's return to action.

"I'm doubtful he would be (ready for Friday)," said the Australian. "It's a situation we're going to be taking day by day.

"He's been running with light change in direction but it's a hard thing a groin, especially for a tighthead prop.

"There's a lot of stresses there. After a lot of effort in general play you have to go to a scrum or move across to a line-out, be first to the breakdown.

"There's a lot of areas that he may not be up for so at this stage, very doubtful.

"Hopefully we get better news next week or the week after but it can take four or five weeks. We're in the dark a bit."

Kiss will hope for better news on Louis Ludik with the utility back set to find out today the extent of the finger injury he sustained against Northampton.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 02236.html

New star Piutau can't wait to rip into Pro12 campaign
Shortly after the final whistle sounded in Ulster's win over Northampton on Friday night, Charles Piutau, flanked by his new director of rugby Les Kiss, found himself in the Kingspan Stadium's media suite for the first time.

Whether either man was keen to admit it, the All Black superstar had been the story of game. Fans had waited since April of 2015 to see the big money acquisition's first game in Belfast and the 24-year-old didn't disappoint in a try-scoring showing that offered a tantalising glimpse of his varied talents.

Ulster's first try, scored by Louis Ludik, came after Piutau displayed his aerial prowess to claim the ball over Ken Pisi and pass out of the tackle to Rob Lyttle.

Having bagged the second himself, a try in the corner that never looked likely to be prevented by the covering Ben Foden, his role in Ulster's fourth and final touchdown was the most impressive of the lot.

In a planned strike move, the full-back burst on to a ball popped up by John Andrew and showed blistering pace and power to scythe through the Saints before offloading to Jacob Stockdale.

While Ulster's scoring was finished for the evening, Piutau wasn't done impressing, on two occasions preventing his man from beating him on the outside when representing the last line of defence.

Afterwards, he was keen to downplay his own key contributions, stressing that the season ahead for the province would be very much a team effort.

"I guess in the team we believe we are all leaders and that we can play a part," he said. "Yes I do see myself as leading in some aspects, but I guess I just want to help out where I can.

"Like with the young guys who stepped in, they did really well and wherever I can, whatever I can, share and help improve them I will. I know they help me as well.

"The team is full of leaders, we have co-captains and a lot of international players and they play a big part as well. I just cannot wait for it to kick off.

"There is the business end of it now and we have another game at home. The supporters will turn out and as a team we cannot wait to rip into it."

Announced as man of the match over the tannoy moments before the end of the game, the award brought a huge cheer from the crowd with Piutau admitting he loved his first experience of the Kingspan crowds.

"I heard so much about it and the fans really did deliver on that side. I guess being out there on the field the boys do feel the support they are getting and it really does help us play the game.

"I heard some of the songs they were singing and it got me dancing a little bit out there and in the groove. That is just the presence they have and I am so grateful to have it. For me I was trying to give back to them and thank them."

The serious business of the Pro12 begins on Friday with the visit of Dragons when those same fans will be looking for a repeat performance from Piutau when it really matters.

If one swallow doesn't make a summer, the man himself will know a friendly certainly doesn't make a season. This, however, was quite the introduction.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 02234.html

Sensational Piutau will make Ulster great again, insists hero Ringland
Trevor Ringland has backed new boy Charles Piutau to catapult Ulster to European glory.

The Kiwi full-back, who sparkled in his side's pre-season win over Northampton Saints last week, will make his competitive debut for the province on Friday when their PRO12 campaign kicks-off against Dragons.

Ulster legend Ringland feels the 24-year-old can help Les Kiss' men earn a cherished place among Europe's elite.

"It wasn't that long ago that you had Ulster, Munster and Leinster all competing for the top honours in Europe," said former British and Irish Lion Ringland.

"Piutau is the type of player you need to get you back there."

He added: "It's exactly what you want to see, someone who is a real game changer.

"Someone like him adds a real excitement and enjoyment for the fans and it's great for the PRO12 in general as well.

"It's been disappointing for Ulster in recent years, coming so close but not winning anything. He's the type of player who could push you over the edge."

Ringland was part of the Ulster sides of the 1980s that swept aside all before them in the interprovincial championship and beat Australia at Ravenhill.

Along with Keith Crossan and Philip Rainey, he formed a devastating back-three but thinks this current crop could be their rival.

Piutau has joined the likes of Irish international quartet Jared Payne, Andrew Trimble, Craig Gilroy and Tommy Bowe at the Kingspan.

"That's what we all want to see from this group," he added.

"The thing with bringing in Piutau is that it gives you such depth when you look at the players already there.

"That competition will make everyone better."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 02813.html
Image Image