Ulster v Connacht Friday February 4 8:15pm KO BBC2NI / TG4 / Premier Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Connacht Friday February 4 8:15pm KO BBC2NI / TG4 / Premier Sports 1

Post by justinr73 »

Indeed.

The real surprise would be Mack Hansen but it would seem unlikely.
Columbo
Steward

Re: Ulster v Connacht Friday February 4 8:15pm KO BBC2NI / TG4 / Premier Sports 1

Post by Columbo »

Neill_M wrote:
Columbo wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:58 pm Gilly not selected this w/e.. however a very able replacement coming back from Dublin Image due to a bit of a surprise call on the wing for Ireland on sat!!
So Gilroy is sitting out this game as part of expected ban? Baloucoune being sent back up? If so, thought he had shot at starting. Are they going with Mack Hansen v Wales?
Yes yes and yes!!

I don’t think Hume or Henderson are being released either, not sure about Lowry.
..one more thing
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Columbo wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:55 pm
Neill_M wrote:
Columbo wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:58 pm Gilly not selected this w/e.. however a very able replacement coming back from Dublin Image due to a bit of a surprise call on the wing for Ireland on sat!!
So Gilroy is sitting out this game as part of expected ban? Baloucoune being sent back up? If so, thought he had shot at starting. Are they going with Mack Hansen v Wales?
Yes yes and yes!!

I don’t think Hume or Henderson are being released either, not sure about Lowry.
Lowry is cover for Keenan surely, can't see him being released. Might get Timoney and Treadwell.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Connacht are looking to sort a new contract for Hansen so a cap would actually be very timely, with the added bonus that we don’t see him on Friday!
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Neill_M wrote:
Yes yes and yes!!

Unsure why Hume would need to say in camp if one of Aki / Henshaw / Ringrose doesn't make the 23. Of course they could be going with Hansen on the wing and a third centre on bench where then Hume would need to stay.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:00 pm
Neill_M wrote:
Yes yes and yes!!

Lowry is cover for Keenan surely, can't see him being released. Might get Timoney and Treadwell.
With Earls and Carbery 15 is covered. Can't see lowry making the 23
d4surfer
Novice

Post by d4surfer »

justinr73 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:09 pm Connacht are looking to sort a new contract for Hansen so a cap would actually be very timely, with the added bonus that we don’t see him on Friday!
Hansen's defence is worse than Lowe's was before he got a kick up the h@le. He was a complete spectator for 2 Leinster tries at the RDS in December. He did score one and set up another but his defensive frailties are glaring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgyQSRl6WkU
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

Hume has been the outstanding Irish centre all year, Irish selections generally err on the conservative side and they’ll no doubt take into account the familiarity of the Henshaw-Ringrose pairing, but there’s a very strong case for Hume to start on form. Ringrose has been ok the last couple of outings, but has made a few errors, whereas Hume has been close to flawless.

I also think there’s a very strong case to bench Lowry - a) because he’s a genuine game-changer who can also cover 10 and b) because Carberry is pretty rubbish at international level anyway, if we’re all being perfectly honest with ourselves. (I’m always scratching my head when Irish pundits and commentators keep on talking about carberrys quality / big performances / game breaking at 10, I must have missed all those matches)

I’d love to see: JGP - Sexton - Hansen (well of course I’d prefer Baloucoune but there you go!) - Henshaw - Hume - Conway - Keenan, with Murray, Lowry and Ringrose 21, 22 and 23
..one more thing
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

The old adage of it’s harder to get out of the Ireland team than it is to get into it. On form Hume blows Ringrose outa the water.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Columbo wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:53 pm Hume has been the outstanding Irish centre all year, Irish selections generally err on the conservative side and they’ll no doubt take into account the familiarity of the Henshaw-Ringrose pairing, but there’s a very strong case for Hume to start on form. Ringrose has been ok the last couple of outings, but has made a few errors, whereas Hume has been close to flawless.

I also think there’s a very strong case to bench Lowry - a) because he’s a genuine game-changer who can also cover 10 and b) because Carberry is pretty rubbish at international level anyway, if we’re all being perfectly honest with ourselves. (I’m always scratching my head when Irish pundits and commentators keep on talking about carberrys quality / big performances / game breaking at 10, I must have missed all those matches)

I’d love to see: JGP - Sexton - Hansen (well of course I’d prefer Baloucoune but there you go!) - Henshaw - Hume - Conway - Keenan, with Murray, Lowry and Ringrose 21, 22 and 23
Right now Lowry is about as close to an international 10 as Paddy Wallace was. He's barely played there for Ulster and even those games have shown he needs a run of games there to develop, as does any 10. Sexton is injury prone so you face the real prospect of him playing 60 mins at 10 with virtually no provincial experience there.
I have been saying ulster should give him a run at 10 but they haven't, so I don't see him covering this position off the bench for an injury prone 36yr old. He may be a better 10 than Carbery longer term but needs to prove that at ulster. Can't make a fair comparison otherwise.

Carbery was a good 15 at leinster and I'd argue it is his better position. He's a decent goal kicker also.
If lowry comes on who kicks? Do you have to change your 9 to bring Murray on?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Bart S wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:07 pm
Columbo wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:53 pm Hume has been the outstanding Irish centre all year, Irish selections generally err on the conservative side and they’ll no doubt take into account the familiarity of the Henshaw-Ringrose pairing, but there’s a very strong case for Hume to start on form. Ringrose has been ok the last couple of outings, but has made a few errors, whereas Hume has been close to flawless.

Right now Lowry is about as close to an international 10 as Paddy Wallace was. He's barely played there for Ulster and even those games have shown he needs a run of games there to develop, as does any 10. Sexton is injury prone so you face the real prospect of him playing 60 mins at 10 with virtually no provincial experience there.
I have been saying ulster should give him a run at 10 but they haven't, so I don't see him covering this position off the bench for an injury prone 36yr old. He may be a better 10 than Carbery longer term but needs to prove that at ulster. Can't make a fair comparison otherwise.

Carbery was a good 15 at leinster and I'd argue it is his better position. He's a decent goal kicker also.
If lowry comes on who kicks? Do you have to change your 9 to bring Murray on?
Bart, you are talking far too much sense for this forum. It’ll never catch on you know.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Irish Independent "leaked" team has Earls starting with Hansen no 23 and Baloucoune not involved. Henderson apparently not fit and Baird on bench. Otherwise the predicted team is extremely close to that v New Zealand etc.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Looking like between 0-2 Ulster players in Ireland 23, looking at the "leaked" teams in the papers. Henderson is on the bench according to GT, but not fit enough according to ROC. They can't seem to decide whether Hansen will start or be on the bench or which 2/3 will be at centre. Herring might be on the bench.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Dragons could be more weakened than us in a couple of weeks!
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Ulster 23:

Warwick, Andrew, Milasinovich, AOC, Carter, Jones, Rea, Vermeulen, Doak, Burns, McIlroy, McCloskey, Curtis, Baloucoune, Lowry

Moore, Reid, Kane, Kearney, Timoney, Shanahan, Moxham, Lyttle.