Heineken/Challenge Cup Format 23/24

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Heineken/Challenge Cup Format 23/24

Post by Neill_M »

Draw from 12:30pm our time on Wednesday, Challenge Cup done first. On https://epcrugby.tv/
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Toulouse won a great Top 14 Final 29-26.

So they are the final top seed and one of three possible top seeds Ulster can draw along with Saracens and La Rochelle.
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

La Rochelle beaten with a last minute miracle try. Karma
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:32 am
Hans Indaruck wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:32 pm
Neill_M wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:28 pm Of the possible opponents, Ulster have never played Lyon and Bayonne in Top 14 and Bristol in the Premiership in the competition (to the best of my knowledge).
We played Bayonne about 10 or 11 years ago (and beat them away if I remember correctly), I think the only time we played Bristol was the Ravens playing them in the old B&I Cup. Don’t recall playing Lyon.
The Bayonne game was a preseason but was significant in that it was the first time Ulster had won on French soil.

BAYONNE 15 ULSTER 20 JOHN FALLON, STADE JEAN DAUGER

ULSTER: P Nelson; C Gilroy, J Payne, C Farrell, C Cochrane; P Jackson, B McIlroy; C Black, N Annett, A Macklin; J Muller, N McComb; M McComish, S Doyle, R Diack.

Replacements used: R Herring, R Lutton, J Afoa, L Stevenson, A Birch, M Heaney, N O’Connor, M Allen, L Marshall, R Andrew.

Ulster scorers: Tries: Heaney, McComb; Cons: O’Connor (2); Pens: Jackson, O’Connor.

Referee: R Poite (France).

Attendance: 8071

Merv
Listened to an interview with Michael Atherton tonight. He says he always sought you out after a match and you were a great fella to share a pint with?!
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Bobbievee wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:26 pm
big mervyn wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:32 am
Neill_M wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:28 pm Of the possible opponents, Ulster have never played Lyon and Bayonne in Top 14 and Bristol in the Premiership in the competition (to the best of my knowledge).
We played Bayonne about 10 or 11 years ago (and beat them away if I remember correctly), I think the only time we played Bristol was the Ravens playing them in the old B&I Cup. Don’t recall playing Lyon.
The Bayonne game was a preseason but was significant in that it was the first time Ulster had won on French soil.

BAYONNE 15 ULSTER 20 JOHN FALLON, STADE JEAN DAUGER

ULSTER: P Nelson; C Gilroy, J Payne, C Farrell, C Cochrane; P Jackson, B McIlroy; C Black, N Annett, A Macklin; J Muller, N McComb; M McComish, S Doyle, R Diack.

Replacements used: R Herring, R Lutton, J Afoa, L Stevenson, A Birch, M Heaney, N O’Connor, M Allen, L Marshall, R Andrew.

Ulster scorers: Tries: Heaney, McComb; Cons: O’Connor (2); Pens: Jackson, O’Connor.

Referee: R Poite (France).

Attendance: 8071

Merv
Listened to an interview with Michael Atherton tonight. He says he always sought you out after a match and you were a great fella to share a pint with?!
Yeah mate. Bloody good bloke old Athers. Take it he didn't mention my classic sledge in his debut Ashes 'I’ll bowl you a f*cking piano, you Pommie pòof, let’s see if you can play that’
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Bobbievee
Warrior

Post by Bobbievee »

>appl
Amazingly Athers only had one Ashes century( he did have a run out on 99 at Lords!)
Puts it down to his own ability and the many traditional defensive and long innings against Warne and his m
Nemesis McGrath.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

https://twitter.com/TheRugbyPaper/statu ... 10336?s=20

If true, will be the TBC Champions Cup next season.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Bayonne 12 years ago - pre-season friendly only, not competitive match.

Ulster's first competitive win in France was away to Castre in January 2013 (Castre 8 - 9 Ulster)
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

big mervyn wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:24 pm Yeah mate. Bloody good bloke old Athers. Take it he didn't mention my classic sledge in his debut Ashes 'I’ll bowl you a f*cking piano, you Pommie pòof, let’s see if you can play that’
Either your memory is going Merv, or mine is.

Was it not Graham Gooch you said that to?

Or did you just use it for everyone? :lol:

I did see it reported that he used it to Javed Miandad* too, so maybe ?????

* Don't think you called him a P0mmie p00f though. :shock:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Tue Jun 20, 2023 9:35 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:24 pm Yeah mate. Bloody good bloke old Athers. Take it he didn't mention my classic sledge in his debut Ashes 'I’ll bowl you a f*cking piano, you Pommie pòof, let’s see if you can play that’

Either your memory is going Merv, or mine is.

Was it not Graham Gooch you said that to?

Or did you just use it for everyone? :lol:

I did see it reported that he used it to Javed Miandad* too, so maybe ?????

* Don't think you called him a P0mmie p00f though. :shock:
Too many amber nectars mate.
Wasn't it Javed who called me a fat bus driver then I bowled him and shouted "tickets please" as he marched back to the pavilion?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Are the pools drawn out today?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Big-al wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:57 am Are the pools drawn out today?
They are, but it will probably be only that, have to wait for fixtures who they play home and away and then wait again for confirmed times/dates. It was 3rd week of July last year before we got fixtures and October before we got times/dates.

Show starts from 12:30pm BST on EPCR TV (Parker Pen done first).
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I'd like to think we will also get the information on which teams will play home and which away.

Surely that has to be included in the 'random' mechanism of the draw and not decided later??

Unlike the other 21 teams Leinster, Connacht and Ulster are guaranteed to be playing a seeded team - the location will make a big difference.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BR wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:20 pm I'd like to think we will also get the information on which teams will play home and which away.

Surely that has to be included in the 'random' mechanism of the draw and not decided later??

Unlike the other 21 teams Leinster, Connacht and Ulster are guaranteed to be playing a seeded team - the location will make a big difference.
Not looking likely based on the Parker Pen draw.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

BR wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:50 pm
BR wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 12:20 pm I'd like to think we will also get the information on which teams will play home and which away.

Not looking likely based on the Parker Pen draw.
The fixture schedules for both tournaments with dates, venues, kick-off times and TV coverage will be announced as soon as possible. Fixtures will be determined using an algorithm which will take into consideration the pool draws, league calendar restrictions, individual club calendar restrictions and broadcast requirements.