Leinster v Ulster Mon Jan 1 5:15pm KO

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Leinster v Ulster Mon Jan 1 5:15pm KO

Post by Bart S »

McCann lacked physicality the last couple of seasons. Everyone could see it. Sheridan has been good at this level. Where is the supportive environment for young ulster born players? We should be encouraging them rather than banishing hem if they don't play like Ardie Savea each week.
His potential is clearly higher than Matty Rea yet with the selections you'd think it was the other way around.

We give players some gametime and then when we wait to see if they kick on the next season the opportunities dry up.

Re: Marcus Rea: he was 1st choice 2 seasons ago, the season when ulster came close to beating Toulouse and the Storners away in the semis. Maybe it's down to him but no ulster born forwards have managed to hold down a starting spot over 2 seasons, bar Henderson.
So It Is
Initiate

Post by So It Is »

Andy Warwick before Ginge arrived would be the only one I can think of, but I get your point.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

As per below article we have used 48 players in 10 matches. I get injuries and rotation, but that is clearly lets throw mud at the wall and even if it sticks lets not play it. Not good enough from McFarland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67808607
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Sheridan is the first young Ulster forward that I've seen in years that looks like he has arrived with the required mentality and ability to operate at a professional level. He can carry, he can tackle, he can do the grunt work. I am obviously not a professional rugby coach, but he is certainly the best young prospect I've seen in the back row for quite some time, a position that historically Ulster are absolutely garbage at producing players in.

This season, any time we've seen him he's been excellent. Even when he comes off the bench, he does something to make you notice him.

How his good performances have resulted in him being dropped into the cold is beyond me. Genuinely cannot understand it. I thought he wasn't involved against Connacht because they were going to use him in Dublin.

This is surely exactly the sort of game for him? A young Ulster born forward going to Dublin, playing against the lads who I'm sure epitomise where he wants to get with his career. An opportunity to test himself against the best and show them what he can do.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

thecrouch wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:56 pm Sheridan is the first young Ulster forward that I've seen in years that looks like he has arrived with the required mentality and ability to operate at a professional level. He can carry, he can tackle, he can do the grunt work. I am obviously not a professional rugby coach, but he is certainly the best young prospect I've seen in the back row for quite some time, a position that historically Ulster are absolutely garbage at producing players in.

This season, any time we've seen him he's been excellent. Even when he comes off the bench, he does something to make you notice him.

How his good performances have resulted in him being dropped into the cold is beyond me. Genuinely cannot understand it. I thought he wasn't involved against Connacht because they were going to use him in Dublin.

This is surely exactly the sort of game for him? A young Ulster born forward going to Dublin, playing against the lads who I'm sure epitomise where he wants to get with his career. An opportunity to test himself against the best and show them what he can do.
+1 Crouch
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Lurgan Lad wrote:
thecrouch wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:56 pm Sheridan is the first young Ulster forward that I've seen in years that looks like he has arrived with the required mentality and ability to operate at a professional level. He can carry, he can tackle, he can do the grunt work. I am obviously not a professional rugby coach, but he is certainly the best young prospect I've seen in the back row for quite some time, a position that historically Ulster are absolutely garbage at producing players in.

+1 Crouch
+2
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 4:37 pm From the excellent article

"By comparison, the other provinces struggle on that front and face challenges in breaking even. Munster are the only province that owns their stadium.
Servicing the debt on Thomond Park remains an issue even if the IRFU revised the annual repayments down to €100,000 in recent times."

Does the IRFU not own both Ravenhill and Thomond?
I was under the impression where the ownership of Ravenhill is a bit weird. I think that the land itself might be owned by the state, but Ulster rugby have rights to build and operate there. If Ulster were to ever move away to another stadium or similar though, it would revert back to the state, there'd be no potential benefit to Ulster for selling it on to property development or similar.

I was under the impression that saying 'Munster own Thomond' was also far too simplistic. Think it's owned and operated by some holding company which both the IRFU and Munster have shares in.
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

Lurgan Lad wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:53 pm As per below article we have used 48 players in 10 matches. I get injuries and rotation, but that is clearly lets throw mud at the wall and even if it sticks lets not play it. Not good enough from McFarland.

When Leinster do it, it's 'strength in depth', when we do it, it's throwing mud at the wall? I've no issue with young players being given a shot, in fact I'd go so far as to say I'd encourage it. We went through trying four other tight heads before giving young Wilson a go and I'm personally glad we went that far. My issue is when some of the mud sticks (i.e. Sheridan) Dan gets the chisel out to chip it off again.
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Death, taxes and getting damned if you do/damned if you don’t on an internet forum are the only three certainties in life.

Lots of players to keep happy in a rugby squad in not very many, generally highly competitive games.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:21 am
Lurgan Lad wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:53 pm As per below article we have used 48 players in 10 matches. I get injuries and rotation, but that is clearly lets throw mud at the wall and even if it sticks lets not play it. Not good enough from McFarland.

When Leinster do it, it's 'strength in depth', when we do it, it's throwing mud at the wall? I've no issue with young players being given a shot, in fact I'd go so far as to say I'd encourage it. We went through trying four other tight heads before giving young Wilson a go and I'm personally glad we went that far. My issue is when some of the mud sticks (i.e. Sheridan) Dan gets the chisel out to chip it off again.
Agreed. Often seems more like accident than design by this management team. And it's happened consistently.
Exterminate all rational thought
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

MightyRearranger wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:21 am

I've since had a look at the starting 15s over the past 10 games.
Tight head McGrath and French starting three games early in the season, one of which Wilson was on the bench so this couldn't fully be explained by any injuries to Wilson.
Inside centre, McCloskey has started 6 games, and the other 4 we have had one each for Curtis (with Moore on the bench), Moore, Postlethwaite and Marshall. I would argue Curtis should never get near the starting 15 if you can afford to have Moore on the bench.
2nd row we had Matty Rea with Izuchukwu on the bench for our first game, who then started two of the following 3 games.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

McGrath and French seem to have disappeared off the face of the earth. McGrath was brought in as a joker to cover injuries is he even still here?
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

McGrath isn’t about anymore. Back in Dublin playing AIL for Lansdowne.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Neill_M wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:01 pm Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jimmy O’Brien (76) 14. Tommy O’Brien (28) 13. Liam Turner (22) 12. Robbie Henshaw (81) 11. Rob Russell (23) 10. Sam Prendergast (7) 9. Jamison Gibson-Park (131) 1. Cian Healy (268) 2. Dan Sheehan (52) 3. Thomas Clarkson (32) 4. Jason Jenkins (27) 5. James Ryan (77) CAPTAIN 6. Ryan Baird (59) 7. Will Connors (42) 8. Caelan Doris (72)

16. Lee Barron (13) 17. Jack Boyle (8) 18. Michael Ala’alatoa (55) 19. Joe McCarthy (25) 20. Jack Conan (136) 21. Luke McGrath (198) 22. Harry Byrne (58) 23. Josh van der Flier (132)

6-2 bench split.
Ignoring the 23 actually selected, Leinster could put out a team with Keenan, Larmour, Ringrose, Osborne, Lowe, R Byrne, Deeny, Conan, Penny, Ruddock, Molony, Soroka, Furlong, Kelleher, Porter
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Bart S wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:46 pm
Neill_M wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:01 pm Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Jimmy O’Brien (76) 14. Tommy O’Brien (28) 13. Liam Turner (22) 12. Robbie Henshaw (81) 11. Rob Russell (23) 10. Sam Prendergast (7) 9. Jamison Gibson-Park (131) 1. Cian Healy (268) 2. Dan Sheehan (52) 3. Thomas Clarkson (32) 4. Jason Jenkins (27) 5. James Ryan (77) CAPTAIN 6. Ryan Baird (59) 7. Will Connors (42) 8. Caelan Doris (72)

16. Lee Barron (13) 17. Jack Boyle (8) 18. Michael Ala’alatoa (55) 19. Joe McCarthy (25) 20. Jack Conan (136) 21. Luke McGrath (198) 22. Harry Byrne (58) 23. Josh van der Flier (132)

6-2 bench split.
Ignoring the 23 actually selected, Leinster could put out a team with Keenan, Larmour, Ringrose, Osborne, Lowe, R Byrne, Deeny, Conan, Penny, Ruddock, Molony, Soroka, Furlong, Kelleher, Porter
They could if you don't factor in injuries etc.