Stand up fer the Ulstermen in London

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Caolan wrote:cracking work Mike, I think you're due a scoop for sorting that out...
What about me for suggesting it and I don't even live over there :roll: :cheers:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

The less said about the game the better however for future reference, Nuala and Keiran from O'Neills in Great Queen Street were very welcoming and accommodating.

They had put the Ulster v Ospreys game on their TV schedule for the evening and they showed the game on 2 of the 4 TVs in the bar.

The pub is quite narrow so if the pub is busy, getting there early is recommended to get a good view, but they do table service if you do manage to get a seat.

I'm not sure if they have Setanta for the non-Welsh CL games but it is a good option for the HEC games.
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

nice one... did any other ulster fans rock up at all? :shock:

the non CL games look like they could be a problem :? did you speak to kieran about it mike?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I could hear some cheers and groans (mainly groans, given the score...) coming from where another TV was showing the game but Caolan and I had a good view from where we were sitting and we weren't going to move given it was Friday night and the place was mobbed!

I didn't speak to Kieran about future games but I'll contact him a week or so before Ulster v Sarries to see if we can sort something out for that game.

The Lyric may be the best option for the next Ulster game against Munster. The owner (who is from Cork...) was a bit grumpy about showing Biarritz v Ulster but I'm assuming he won't have the same attitude when his beloved Munster are playing as well...
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

i should have mentioned this before, probably.. but before I started hanging out with you lot, I used to have a lot of luck going to a chain of pubs called Tommy Flynn's to watch games. They're a slightly low-rent version of Waxy's.

I used to live near the one on the Holloway Road, and they used to be very accomodating, even putting Friday night games on their big screens. But never very busy, and the odd dodgy character in.

Only problem is there aren't any central ones. There's one in Camden, Holloway Road and Hammersmith, as far as I recall.. Hammersmith might not be a ridiculous option for us all.

Just a thought.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I know Tommy Flynns as there is one near me in Chiswick - it doesn't have Setanta however.

The one in Hammersmith does have Setanta as I asked last month when looking for a venue for the Leinster game. Clientele are a mixture of young aussies/kiwis/saffies + locals from the local council flats as every other boozer in the area has been turned into a gastro-pub!

The crowd is friendly enough but I don't know what it is like for sports.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Yes apart from the gash result and performance, O'Neills was spot-on! Nuala and Keiran very accomadating and friendly, definitely one for the roster.. (And yes thanks rooster, a pint is your's if you ever wing it over here..)

Hammersmith would be decent for me, FYI.

Are any of you lads going to be around on Saturday for the Ireland match? I'm potentially going to meet someone after, so I don't want to be over-tipsy, but I don't want to watch it at home, because one of my flatmates is a Kiwi..
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

i'll watch it with ya stu... fancy coming up to islington? :shock:
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

i'm off to the game, as I may or may not have mentioned..
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I'd be up for watching the game somewhere but will need to leave sharpish for plans later that evening. Islington is ok with me...
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

I was thinking more central, as I'm meeting someone after in town - waxy's if they're showing it, or o'neills or somewhere? where in islington, and what tube station?
jamesie
Lord Chancellor

Post by jamesie »

i was going to suggest o'neills in islington (nearest tube angel) :roll: i don't really mind. i could go with waxy's
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

actually I don't especially mind going to islington.. Angel's just near King's Cross on the Tube map, but is that one of those deceptive ones where it's actually about a mile away?? just thinking about getting back into town after, piccadilly line looks quickest..
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

On the day of the Munster game.. I'm working in Shepherd's Bush on the afternoon, and have been invited to a party in Hammersmith in the evening. So I think we should definitely try one of the Hammersmith/Kensington options that night..
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

aarons wrote:On the day of the Munster game.. I'm working in Shepherd's Bush on the afternoon, and have been invited to a party in Hammersmith in the evening. So I think we should definitely try one of the Hammersmith/Kensington options that night..
I checked and QPR are playing away that day as you wouldn't want to go to any pub in the Bush if they were at home.

There are any number of Irish pubs in S Bush on the Goldhawk Rd and Uxbridge Rd but they all look a bit dodgy and I haven't heard any of them recommended.

There is also a Walkabout and O'Neills in S Bush. I try to avoid Walkabouts if at all possible however according to http://www.beerintheevening.com/ the landlady of O'Neills is from Belfast so could be worth a try.

There is a Tommy Flynns in H'smith but it seems to have gone downhill based on the comments in beerintheevening.

F3K in West Ken doesn't have Setanta.

I was originally going to suggest the Lyric off Piccadilly as the landlord was from Cork and it attracted quite a few Munster fans for their game after Ulster v Biarritz but we can see what the other options are like.