Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

SUFTUM_19
Novice

Re: Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by SUFTUM_19 »

paddybrown wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:47 pm I think Dan's going to need to look at making a short term injury cover signing at tighthead. Marty's out for the foreseeable, Tom O'Toole's just coming back from injury, JTA is missing. Best case scenario, O'Toole is ready to start, with Milasinovich on the bench. Worst case, Milasinovich starts and we have to dip into the academy or the As for the bench. I thought Milo did reasonably well on Sunday after a poor first scrum, but we need to have more cover than that. Maybe Ealing could loan us Ross Kane back? Or are there any more hidden gems in the AIL who could end up Welsh internationals? Although Callum Reid's a big lad, maybe he could retrain as a tighthead?

It'll be interesting to see who gets selected for the As against Ealing on Friday. In previous A games this season we've used Cameron Doak, Joe Mawhinney, Jack Boal and James McCormick.

I watched my nephew playing for Sullivan Old Boys against Holywood on Boxing Day. He was the smallest man on the pitch, but he played loosehead and hooker at school, and packed down at tighthead for a few scrums in the second half. And Sullivan won. Sign him up!
Scott Wilson in the Academy is another tighthead option. remember reading on here that he looked impressive for the Ireland U20s. I wonder whether it’s worth giving him a shot as he probably has a higher ceiling than other options.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster v Munster Sunday 1 January 5:15pm KO TG4 / Viaplay Sports 1 / URC TV / Super Sport

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Neill_M wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:43 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:20 pm
Seagull wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:11 pm Dan let a superb defensive coach with attacking nouse go.
Current coaches no where in the same league as Jared Payne.
Heard he wanted to move from defence to attack coach but this was was rejected so moved on.
We were scoring tries every game and had a great defence before coaches were reshuffled, big mistake.
Yep, been discussed previously. Soper and Payne both went for Peels role. Soper got the position.

So if Payne had gotten the position we still would of had a reshuffle.....

Payne left to take up a new position at Clermont as..... defence coach.

Not doubting Paynes coaching ability heard great things, doesn't look like a great move for anyone. Clermont currently sitting 11th in Top 14 with one of the worst points conceded tallies.
10th worst points conceded - 353 points over 14 games to date. Average of around 25 points / game. He joined Clermont at the wrong point in their cycle, they aren't the team they were a few years back etc.
Will be interesting to see how much longer Clermont powers that be give Jonno Gibbes. Clermont failed to make top 6 playoffs last season. 11th at present, Penaud their star player leaving at the end of the season.

Here's us thinking we have it bad.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Indeed.

Only Leinster, Stormers and Sarries have lost fewer league games than us in the three NH leagues too, of course.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

justinr73 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:05 am Indeed.

Only Leinster, Stormers and Sarries have lost fewer league games than us in the three NH leagues too, of course.
Careful, you're giving me a bit too much perspective here.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:

McFarland in.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:12 am
UlsterNo9 wrote:

McFarland in.
Doing well for a fella who has a forward pack of Exiles and Leinster B team.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Record Vs Benetton

Played 23
Won 19
Drawn 3
Lost 1 (at Ravenhill 2011)

Reason to be optimistic, despite Treviso being a bit of a fortress now.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:55 am
Neill_M wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:43 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:20 pm
Seagull wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:11 pm Dan let a superb defensive coach with attacking nouse go.
Current coaches no where in the same league as Jared Payne.
Heard he wanted to move from defence to attack coach but this was was rejected so moved on.
We were scoring tries every game and had a great defence before coaches were reshuffled, big mistake.
Yep, been discussed previously. Soper and Payne both went for Peels role. Soper got the position.

So if Payne had gotten the position we still would of had a reshuffle.....

Payne left to take up a new position at Clermont as..... defence coach.

Not doubting Paynes coaching ability heard great things, doesn't look like a great move for anyone. Clermont currently sitting 11th in Top 14 with one of the worst points conceded tallies.
10th worst points conceded - 353 points over 14 games to date. Average of around 25 points / game. He joined Clermont at the wrong point in their cycle, they aren't the team they were a few years back etc.
Will be interesting to see how much longer Clermont powers that be give Jonno Gibbes. Clermont failed to make top 6 playoffs last season. 11th at present, Penaud their star player leaving at the end of the season.

Here's us thinking we have it bad.
Ulster have 4th best defence in the URC for info - Leinster, Munster and Stormers are the top 3.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
UlsterNo9 wrote:

McFarland in.
Leinster C/D. Plus some other players who are dung.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:14 am
UlsterNo9 wrote:

McFarland in.
More like a Leinster AIL team.

I’d be pretty sure Leinsters 3rd string would have pack that would compete with this

1. O’Sullivan
2. Murphy
3. Moore
4. O’Connor
5. Bradshaw-Ryan
6. Jones
7. Murphy
8. Timoney
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Big-al wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:14 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote:

McFarland in.

I’d be pretty sure Leinsters 3rd string would have pack that would compete with this

1. O’Sullivan
2. Murphy
3. Moore
4. O’Connor
5. Bradshaw-Ryan
6. Jones
7. Murphy
8. Timoney
Does it beat the Ulster born pack nurtured through the local club and school pathway? We're lucky, we just have enough and nothing more, few guys having to play out of position.

1 Callum Reid
2 Tom Stewart
3 Andy Warwick
4 Matty Rea
5 Iain Henderson
6 John Andrew
7 Marcus Rea
8 David McCann
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Big-al wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:14 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote: Careful, you're giving me a bit too much perspective here.
McFarland in.

1. O’Sullivan
2. Murphy
3. Moore
4. O’Connor
5. Bradshaw-Ryan
6. Jones
7. Murphy
8. Timoney
Does it beat the Ulster born pack nurtured through the local club and school pathway? We're lucky, we just have enough and nothing more, few guys having to play out of position.

1 Callum Reid
2 Tom Stewart
3 Andy Warwick
4 Matty Rea
5 Iain Henderson
6 John Andrew
7 Marcus Rea
8 David McCann
Sheridan at 6. I think he will impress you when he breaks through.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dave wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:48 pm
Watched him quite a bit at underage, good enough to make age grade teams, but wouldn't of highlighted him as a stand out. Could well have bloomed since.

When he breaks through..... so just have to wait until he's 24 / 25 ?.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

UlsterNo9 wrote:
Watched him quite a bit at underage, good enough to make age grade teams, but wouldn't of highlighted him as a stand out. Could well have bloomed since.

Too soon. 28, maybe for 10 mins.
Tap+Go
Novice

Post by Tap+Go »

Dave wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:27 pm
UlsterNo9 wrote:

Too soon. 28, maybe for 10 mins.
Yip tis the Ulster way :banghead: