Why can't we play like that every game?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
weeHughF
Novice

Re: All Blacks vs Ireland

Post by weeHughF »

Watched this morning

Wasn't that impressed

The ABs were woeful, literally terrible, were there for the taking and we didn't close it out

I don't have the stats, but I think very few subs were made. Much improved back 3 play however this week

Defence was much improved also

Saw a lot of banter on the old book about how it was wee Nige's fault, but couldn't fault the man
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Didnt watch the game but heard it was decent, although it seems if Carter was on form with the boot the defeat would have been much worse.. Still need to cut out penalties it seems.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ColinM wrote:Didnt think much of the interview McCaw gave after either, zero credit given to Ireland
Why would he give credit to Ireland?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

weeHughF wrote:Watched this morning

Wasn't that impressed

The ABs were woeful, literally terrible, were there for the taking and we didn't close it out

I don't have the stats, but I think very few subs were made. Much improved back 3 play however this week

Saw a lot of banter on the old book about how it was wee Nige's fault, but couldn't fault the man
Wee Hugh - The AB's are clearly better than Ireland. If they play well they will beat Ireland regardless of how well Ireland play, in the same way that if Leinster play well we won't beat them. In order to win you have to put them off their game and that's what Ireland did today. Yes they lost and normally i take little comfort from a defeat but what pleased me here was how Ireland battled back after the AB's had got on top. At 19-13, the AB's had scored 19 out of the previous '22 points and had turned up the heat significantly at the start of the 2nd half. It's normally a case of not being able to hold on until the end, but here the game was decided on small margins - Sexton's penalty dropping short, the wheeled scrum penalty SOB had denied Carter.

As for the subs point I think you'd be pretty harsh to criticise Kidney for the ones he made today. He brought them on with enough time to make an impact and Reddan, POM, DOC and ROG all did well when they came on. I'd have brought Fitzy on for the last 20 or so but in fairness to Ross, he was part of an Ireland scrum which was getting right on top towards the end. The only ones he didn't make were Ross and Best (and look how strong the set piece was until the end) and Zebo, which again was the right call as the last 20 was not the time to throw a young gun on the wing, despite the fact that if I took my Ulster glasses off, I thought Trimble had a fairly poor game.

As Jackie says, the frustration can be our inability to produce those kinds of performances other than occasionally and we could end up getting hocked again next week, which would mean this counting for nothing.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

breakdown wrote:Didnt watch the game but heard it was decent, although it seems if Carter was on form with the boot the defeat would have been much worse.. Still need to cut out penalties it seems.
Think that's a bit harsh. Don't know what Carter's kicking stats were but don't recall him missing many kicks at goal or touchfinders. He made a few errors, as did McCaw etc but his kicking was generally ok I thought.

A couple of stupid 1st half pens conceded by Tuohy and Ross, which you could say ultimately cost us, although overall, I thought our discipline was quite good.
weeHughF
Novice

Post by weeHughF »

Bart S wrote:
weeHughF wrote:Watched this morning

Wasn't that impressed

Wee Hugh - The AB's are clearly better than Ireland. If they play well they will beat Ireland regardless of how well Ireland play, in the same way that if Leinster play well we won't beat them. In order to win you have to put them off their game and that's what Ireland did today. Yes they lost and normally i take little comfort from a defeat but what pleased me here was how Ireland battled back after the AB's had got on top. At 19-13, the AB's had scored 19 out of the previous '22 points and had turned up the heat significantly at the start of the 2nd half. It's normally a case of not being able to hold on until the end, but here the game was decided on small margins - Sexton's penalty dropping short, the wheeled scrum penalty SOB had denied Carter.

As for the subs point I think you'd be pretty harsh to criticise Kidney for the ones he made today. He brought them on with enough time to make an impact and Reddan, POM, DOC and ROG all did well when they came on. I'd have brought Fitzy on for the last 20 or so but in fairness to Ross, he was part of an Ireland scrum which was getting right on top towards the end. The only ones he didn't make were Ross and Best (and look how strong the set piece was until the end) and Zebo, which again was the right call as the last 20 was not the time to throw a young gun on the wing, despite the fact that if I took my Ulster glasses off, I thought Trimble had a fairly poor game.

As Jackie says, the frustration can be our inability to produce those kinds of performances other than occasionally and we could end up getting hocked again next week, which would mean this counting for nothing.
But did we create a performance, or were the ABs terrible

I firmly believe the latter
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by weeHughF » Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:55 pm

But does anyone actually care Hugh?!

You can only play whats infront of you and a win is a win.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Cormac
Initiate

Post by Cormac »

On the late scrum, it should have been penalty to Ireland. As Healy gets the pressure on, the NZ tighthead drops his bind completely before the scrum turns.

Absolutely sickening to lose that game after getting so close.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

weeHughF wrote:

I firmly believe you are wrong. Ireland brought intensity and power to the table and knocked the All Blacks out of their stride. They may have underestimated Ireland after last week, but it was a very good performance.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

An absolutely brilliant game in terms of commitment and drama - really enjoyed it.

I thought Ireland defended very well indeed, did well at the breakdown - actually make that very well, made few mistakes, kept the penalty count down; however, did little in attack.

Without question, the conditions suited Ireland. NZ had to keep things somewhat tighter than they would typically prefer. I actually thought owens let Ireland away with plenty at the breakdown and I wasn't sure about the yellow.

Ultimately, against 14 men, then game was on a plate. I too, was shocked at the decision not to penalize NZ at the late scrum. A missed opportunity and I would predict that normal service will resume next week.

A cracking game.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
ardsrugbyards
Initiate

Post by ardsrugbyards »

Shan wrote:
troupe86 wrote:
fermain wrote:The All Blacks are proving to be a dirty side when under pressure.
I agree... Horrible conduct from the team. They are showing their true colours with the way they got on at times.
They are filthy and cynical and always have been. Why would they be any different when almost all refs bow down before them.

The only ref I have ever seen who has the ability and character to ref NZ properly is Alain Rolland. Just a pity he is not allowed to ref games we have against them.
green tinted glasses, what a load of crap the irish players would be quicker to throw a punch than the AB's or any other team apart from england as they would win if there was a comp for dirty play, i'm sure on a new zealand forum there is people saying 'them irish are dirty players everytime they come down ere they throw punches and play outside the rules' and if Healy fancied himself against SBW good luck to him.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Anyone defending that ref needs a word with themselves.
I used to rate this guy till I saw his last 3 performances.
Today he cost us pure and simple.
He was the difference.

Thought we were overdue a performance like this to match with the previous England at Croke Park and Oz in the wc.
Agree with all the comments so far exept for Hughs as is the norm.
Someone said after the team was announced that with SOB performing well at 7 it cements Ferris`s position at 6.
I think they might want to reconsider as that was the best balanced back row performance I have seen in years from an Irish team.

Next week is a vital game as we need to back this performance up and the blacks can have no excuses of being caught on the hop.
We have never backed up a performance like that before and if we get destroyed I feel this week will have been for nothing and wee hugh has an argument.

The key to all this was a higher level of intensity in our play maintained from start to finish.
Made in Leinster with a wee bit of Ulster and Munster thrown in for good measure.
This has got to be the way forward surely DK.
Thought Ryan was again outstanding today and ROGs distribution was superb when he came on.
Sexton was on a par with Carter and I cant say better than that.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

ardsrugbyards wrote:

green tinted glasses, what a load of crap the irish players would be quicker to throw a punch than the AB's or any other team apart from england as they would win if there was a comp for dirty play, i'm sure on a new zealand forum there is people saying 'them irish are dirty players everytime they come down ere they throw punches and play outside the rules' and if Healy fancied himself against SBW good luck to him.
Go away Nigel. You've done enough damage already this weekend to last you the rest of the year.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Heaslip and Darcy out of final test. Paddy W being flown out for it.

He should have refused to get on the plane what a waste of time.