Commonwealth Games Rugby 7s

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Commonwealth Games Rugby 7s

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: I'm projecting 20 years hence. A lot will chance in 20 years. I would not be surprised to see a new Ireland start to emerge. Not a Ireland born out of struggle and war, but an Ireland of tolerance and unity. If there is ever to be a united Ireland, that's what it will have to look like. the current ROI and NI will come together in a totally new dispensation. All the old politicised trappings will need to be assigned to the dustbin and a new start made from a blank canvas.
For those who don't read posts properly, please note, I'm not saying a united Ireland by 2034.
You bin sniffin' dat evo-stik again blood?

To achieve that you need somebody who can convince a group of chancers (known in political circles as MPs/TDs/Assamly membrs/ MEPs or a combination of the lot) that there is something in it for them( & close family within their employ of course).

You think that will happen within 20 years, den you bin smokin' or sniffin' or jectin' some crazy crazy sheeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
I have a dream today.... Ok Shiraz many be involved, but it's a dream all the same......
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote: I have a dream today.... Ok Shiraz many be involved, but it's a dream all the same......
Fair play Snipe. In theory it is a good dream. At the very least it is a dream with "good" at the epicentre. I'd never castigate someone for that. Baggy might though. :D
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: I have a dream today.... Ok Shiraz many be involved, but it's a dream all the same......
Fair play Snipe. In theory it is a good dream. At the very least it is a dream with "good" at the epicentre. I'd never castigate someone for that. Baggy might though. :D
Ould Baggys problem is that he allows the pragmatist in him to get the better of the idealist. He'll be grand.....
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Shan, I know you get a wee badge, and maybe a car sticker, and an invite to a BBQ at Buck House.
I actually think it would be good for Ireland to join the gentleman's club; but it would also be good for the Commonwealth. I'd be surprised if some civil servants somewhere are already in discussions.
I'm guessing a referendum would be required, which may delay things beyond the time when the iron is hot.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BR wrote:Shan, I know you get a wee badge, and maybe a car sticker, and an invite to a BBQ at Buck House.
I actually think it would be good for Ireland to join the gentleman's club; but it would also be good for the Commonwealth. I'd be surprised if some civil servants somewhere are already in discussions.
I'm guessing a referendum would be required, which may delay things beyond the time when the iron is hot.
Of course there would have been some private discussions. The mentions of it by the odd politician wouldn't have happened without it. Politicians and their minions are always on the lookout to generate a few "handy numbers" for themselves and presumably if Ireland was to join the commonwealth a few feckless wonders would manage to fall onto some board or other and earn themselves a few greenbacks for some nodding dog work.

A referendum would be required. But even before that there is a requirement for somebody to detail the benefits for Ireland in joining. The first mention of Ireland joining that I heard from an Irish politician was in the early 1990's. In over 20 years not one person has yet offered any reason publicly why Ireland should join and in that 20 years there has been no drive by any of the political parties to place in the mainstream.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Has anyone asked Paddy Barnes for his opinion?

Easterby Out
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dream your dreams in peace Snipe I don't guffaw at the notion, it's the likelihood I will baulk at.

My father as I've mentioned many times was a southern non-Catholic from Co Wicklow and I remember on holiday in Isle of Man sometime in the sixties before it all kicked off in Norn Iron some English bloke asking my ould lad about a United Ireland. Not in my lifetime was his reply.

Now he wasn't predicting the troubles of course, just the mood but if my English mate Mark asks me the same question when we meet up at out respective novels in Spain next week, my answer will echo my dad's of nearly 50 years, not in my lifetime.

In the 60s he added, maybe in the boys time, I wouldn't, for my son is 30 & I don't think he will see it either. Too much inbred hate still about and still being handed down to kids as a right of passage by the lowlife and plenty further up the foodchain.

Sad but almost certainly true I'm afraid it's a terribly small island to hold 2 countries, think of the economies of ridding the place of two, or more in some cases, of every strand of administration. Dream on muchacho. :thumleft:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Baggy- Everybody will be united under the EUSSR going forward. We'll even have the EUSSR Regional Games. It will be great. You may get a medal for EUSSR Region I.N and I may get one for EUSSR Region I.S but ultimately it will be a victory for the Great New Motherland.

I think this will be great not just for Ireland but also for the EUSSR. >EW :D

Mind you one positive is that the nice new Chairman may ban all flags and anthems except the official EUSSR one. Anyone found to be in possession of another flag or singing some other anthem will be shot without question.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Shan wrote:In over 20 years not one person has yet offered any reason publicly why Ireland should join
The Empire games are surely reason enough. Auld dolls in white pleated skirts playing bowls, auld lads firing rifles and world class netball. What's not to like? :scratch:

Add in ready access to the Ebola virus and it's a no brainer!
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

big mervyn wrote:
The Empire games are surely reason enough. Auld dolls in white pleated skirts playing bowls, auld lads firing rifles and world class netball. What's not to like? :scratch:

Add in ready access to the Ebola virus and it's a no brainer!
Feck. Nobody has ever put it so well. Even John Bruton couldn't sell the idea like this. Must give him a shout to give him some tips. Anyone got the number for Clarence House? :D
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Shan wrote: Anyone got the number for Clarence House? :D
(+44) (0)20 7930 4832
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Rooster wrote:
Shan wrote: Anyone got the number for Clarence House? :D
(+44) (0)20 7930 4832
Thanks Rooster but I've managed to convince a friend who has the rank of KBE to deliver the message personally as he is calling round this weekend. :D
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I'm with Usain, the Commonwealth Games are a load of shíte! They serve as a grim reminder of Britain's empire and the crimes and atrocities committed in it's name. The games will be long gone by the time Ireland is united. Although I don't want to see Ireland united until all them murdering republicans are dead and buried. A united Ireland is morally right but economically very wrong. Let's enjoy another few decades of slagging Dave C off while he writes us our cheque. FTQ.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dave wrote:I'm with Usain, the Commonwealth Games are a load of shíte! They serve as a grim reminder of Britain's empire and the crimes and atrocities committed in it's name. The games will be long gone by the time Ireland is united. Although I don't want to see Ireland united until all them murdering republicans are dead and buried. A united Ireland is morally right but economically very wrong. Let's enjoy another few decades of slagging Dave C off while he writes us our cheque. FTQ.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

As an equal opportunities "Slegger" I'd like to add FTP to you FTQ simpy for balance.

FTQ/FTP.

There you go, balanced, us ould bankers put great stock in things being "balanced".

As for the economic argument, sure if they frack the frig out of the country we could be sitting on a forqune of cash.

We could be as happy as the population of Brunei where you can be stoned to death for homosexuality rather than just considered an abomination by the DUP here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OEiwt6R6u8
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Dave wrote:I'm with Usain, the Commonwealth Games are a load of shíte! They serve as a grim reminder of Britain's empire and the crimes and atrocities committed in it's name. The games will be long gone by the time Ireland is united. Although I don't want to see Ireland united until all them murdering republicans are dead and buried. A united Ireland is morally right but economically very wrong. Let's enjoy another few decades of slagging Dave C off while he writes us our cheque. FTQ.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

As an equal opportunities "Slegger" I'd like to add FTP to you FTQ simpy for balance.

FTQ/FTP.

There you go, balanced, us ould bankers put great stock in things being "balanced".

As for the economic argument, sure if they frack the frig out of the country we could be sitting on a forqune of cash.

We could be as happy as the population of Brunei where you can be stoned to death for homosexuality rather than just considered an abomination by the DUP here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OEiwt6R6u8
I'm all for equality Baggy! Feck all religious leaders and monarchies everywhere. Feck em all til feck. Fecking fecktards!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?