6 nations 22

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Re: 6 nations 22

Post by HammerTime »

Let’s see how it goes in France. Any win against a NZ side is great. But some ppl are gushing at the fact Ireland beat them but they scraped by what was probably the worst touring all blacks team in living memory.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Dublin4 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:06 pm

I don't have a problem with Hansen. He has as much right to play for Ireland as many other players do.

I agree and that would be a big fat ZERO right in my book.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Dublin4 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:06 pm interesting that two outstanding Lions players from last summer, Henderson and Henshaw, can't even get into the match day 23.

I don't have a problem with Hansen. He has as much right to play for Ireland as many other players do.

Farrell got it right in November. I can understand how the dominance of Leinster players annoys the other provinces but it has worked. I think it will work again.
They are both injured. Henshaw took a knock in training apparently.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Farrell will get Ireland their semi final trophy. He is better than Joe.
Last edited by Dave on Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Pimpmac
Initiate

Post by Pimpmac »

Haven’t really given a flying feck about Ireland in a long time, but reading the team news today I’m even more glad of that sentiment.

You can dress it up all you want but there is a parochial nature to selections. I can vaguely remember the all conquering Ulster team in the mid 80’s to early 90’s and that didn’t really improve Ulster’s representation. I think it would require a lot more things to change for the situation to alter.

I’ve been to the bog and previously LR a lot of times up until 4/5 years ago and it has become a cold house to us Nordies both on and off the pitch.

Well, I shall care less on Saturday and hope the best team wins. I’m supporting the Scots who don’t seem to give a shoite where you come from lol!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Not going to dispute the historical stuff but who were you expecting to be picked?

Hendy and Herring aren’t fully fit.

Conway has been solid on the right wing and Keenan has done nothing wrong at 15.

The four back rows in the 23 aren’t half bad.

TOT is second choice here. Tredders has yet to convince many (although Baird has yet to justify the hype).

The fact that we got eight in the squad was a step forward and they’ve mostly got youth on their side.

Patience is a virtue you know!

Let’s take a breath and see where we are after the tournament.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Burns > Sexton
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-60229589
Six Nations: Wales-Ireland kit clash frustrates colour blind fans🙄
Another round of complaints about something.
Ireland will have to play in pink with yellow tassels🙄
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

justinr73 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:29 am Not going to dispute the historical stuff but who were you expecting to be picked?

Hendy and Herring aren’t fully fit.

Conway has been solid on the right wing and Keenan has done nothing wrong at 15.

The four back rows in the 23 aren’t half bad.

TOT is second choice here. Tredders has yet to convince many (although Baird has yet to justify the hype).

The fact that we got eight in the squad was a step forward and they’ve mostly got youth on their side.

Patience is a virtue you know!

Let’s take a breath and see where we are after the tournament.
You really have gone native Justin :shock:

Some state of affairs when the only Ireland supporter here is an Englishman :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jetstream
Steward

Post by Jetstream »

Cracker wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:09 pm Does anyone really expect any Ulster players to be on the Irish team. I predict it will be the same old same old. One exception being a recent Australian arrival who plays for Connaught. At the rate Farrell is going there will soon be more non Irishmen on the team than those who can truly call themselves Irish. I will just wait and see but I don't think I will be far wrong. I don't expect any of our new young Ulster stars to get a look in.

Where's Connaught?
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Jetstream wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:17 am
Cracker wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:09 pm Does anyone really expect any Ulster players to be on the Irish team. I predict it will be the same old same old. One exception being a recent Australian arrival who plays for Connaught. At the rate Farrell is going there will soon be more non Irishmen on the team than those who can truly call themselves Irish. I will just wait and see but I don't think I will be far wrong. I don't expect any of our new young Ulster stars to get a look in.

Where's Connaught?
North of Munster
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Connacht
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Jetstream wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 10:17 am

Where's Connaught?
It's a hotel in London... >EW

It is not rocket science, the team in Galway are called CONNACHT!
Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Forgive my typo. Written in haste and anger. Pointless in my getting worked up about it. My rugby interest will now be limited to Ulster. I doubt I will even turn on the TV to watch Ireland.
A real turnaround for me going from great days out in Dublin at the Internationals to not even watching Ireland on TV. Sad.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Jetstream wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:58 pm
Cracker wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:15 pm Just proved right. The new foreigner plays and Balacoune is sent home.
Hansen is a left winger. Balacoune plays on the right.
Also, Baloucoune was injured and missed some of the prep. AF made it clear that he was planning to start Baloucoune and that he intends to play him in subsequent tests. Herring, Hendy and Baloucoune therefore are all in the same boat, they just didn't get the full prep time that other players did get so they didn't get the nod.

Timoney is in the form of his life but at the same time, the players in front of him are all brilliant or have a lot of credit in the bank (POM).

Lowry may well have had a shot at the 23 jersey if the backline had been shuffled differently. With the number of full backs in the team, the backline needed cover in the centre, not at fullback hence Hume got the nod, presumably with an eye to Hume covering injuries to Aki (Hume to 12), Ringrose (Hume to 13), and wings (Hume to 13, Ringrose to wing). Hansen, Carberry and to a lesser extent Conway can all cover FB in a pinch.

The only one oddly who can feel a bit hard done by is Treadwell because with Hendy out this was probably his best chance (bar a token Italy cap) to get in the squad and it must have been a close call between himself and Baird.

For all the weeping and gnashing of teeth, I struggle to see an anti-Ulster bias in the selections.