6 Nations 2023

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: 6 Nations 2023

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

jean valjean wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:23 pm
Dharper wrote:Ive been hoping for some kind of Josh Adams esque - renaissance/change in perceived temperament but no signs of it. To be fair Ulsters attack going to brad pitt really has put the boot in for Jacob, but let’s face it he isn’t helping himself either.

I’d be having a stern word with skills coach and Lowry Jacob and RB, as frankly in my opinion their fielding has been generally poor and far from secure this season compared to last. A back 3 player with an insecure fielding game, has a very limited lifespan in international rugby. A bit of tough love and self reflection is probably due.

We can produce players with X factor….but not necessarily rounded skills. Leinster players coming through have great basics. Joey Obrien is a prime example, Osborne looks a player too.
Not enough players with a GAA background to catch a high ball.
GAA pedalled mythology. What about non GAA nations ie all the rest? Its a natural or can be a taught skill that doesn't require GAA ffs
Exterminate all rational thought
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

It was tongue in cheek but seems to have touched a nerve.
However is there really no advantage to a kid who has been catching balls over their head since they could walk as opposed to one who starts training for it at 12-13?
As for other countries, all their kids start on a level playing field so there is no advantage to those playing one particular sport, except maybe AFL in Australia.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

jean valjean wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:51 am It was tongue in cheek but seems to have touched a nerve.
However is there really no advantage to a kid who has been catching balls over their head since they could walk as opposed to one who starts training for it at 12-13?
As for other countries, all their kids start on a level playing field so there is no advantage to those playing one particular sport, except maybe AFL in Australia.
Hand eye co-ordination? Ice Hockey, cricket, tennis, table tennis, football goalkeeper, Hurling? There's this nonsense mythos that playing GAA football delivers some sort of superpower.
No nerves touched apart from pricking tired memes
Exterminate all rational thought
StandUp
Warrior Chief

Post by StandUp »

Dharper wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:28 pm Ive been hoping for some kind of Josh Adams esque - renaissance/change in perceived temperament but no signs of it. To be fair Ulsters attack going to brad pitt really has put the boot in for Jacob, but let’s face it he isn’t helping himself either.

I’d be having a stern word with skills coach and Lowry Jacob and RB, as frankly in my opinion their fielding has been generally poor and far from secure this season compared to last. A back 3 player with an insecure fielding game, has a very limited lifespan in international rugby. A bit of tough love and self reflection is probably due.

We can produce players with X factor….but not necessarily rounded skills. Leinster players coming through have great basics. Joey Obrien is a prime example, Osborne looks a player too.
His brother Jimmy is pretty good too! :lol:
Dharper
Steward

Post by Dharper »

:D fair one!!
Columbo
Steward

Post by Columbo »

The main thing that makes me nervous about ireland is scrum - to be brutally honest all 4 provinces are weak scrummaging sides, even Leinster. In fairness Furlong hasn’t played this season, and Alaalatoa is absolutely awful, but I don’t think Porter is a great scrummager. He’s brilliant in every other aspect of the game, but for such a strong guy I’ve never seen him very dominant in the scrum.

Last year our scrum was under pressure all tournament, well beaten by France and absolutely destroyed by England.

First up against wales - ireland are better all over the park, but Wales will have the stronger scrum.. potential banana skin..
..one more thing
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

Fixtures favour England, if they can win in Caaaaaaaaardiff, they can win a Grand Slam...................................
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

Sounds like Tom Stewart has been called up.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

justinr73 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:39 pm Sounds like Tom Stewart has been called up.
Injury cover for Kelleher.
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

tigerburnie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:25 pm Fixtures favour England, if they can win in Caaaaaaaaardiff, they can win a Grand Slam...................................
Is that a blue moon I see in yonder distant sky?
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

solidarity wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:25 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:25 pm Fixtures favour England, if they can win in Caaaaaaaaardiff, they can win a Grand Slam...................................
Is that a blue moon I see in yonder distant sky?
Aye, Ireland in Dublin on Paddies Day weekend just entered the conversation.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BR wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:24 pm Netflix filming a series during the 6Ns for release next year. I imagine something like they do with F1.

Bet they're unhappy about Eddie Jones going. (or maybe they will sign him up to provide his insight)
Gatland (arriving somewhat late to the party) stating the bleedin obvious, that without editorial control this is a recipe for disaster.

Just a matter of which -ism each dressing room is accused of first.

Im going for xenophobia with a dash of racism.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Be interesting to see what they make of it, especially if it's got the American market in mind.

By the way, watched half an hour of an NFL match last night. What a waste of time, energy (theirs, not mine) and money.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

There seems to be a growing media noise predicting a Welsh win. Can't see it meself.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

solidarity wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:24 pm
By the way, watched half an hour of an NFL match last night. What a waste of time, energy (theirs, not mine) and money.
Awful isn't it, at least rugby is worth the concussion!
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18