Super Rugby 2016

A forum to discuss all things rugby on the Southern Hemisphere leagues.

Moderator: Moderators

HairyJ
Initiate

Re: Super Rugby 2016

Post by HairyJ »

WHAT A TRY!!!!!!!
kUD
Novice

Post by kUD »

OneMore wrote:What are attendances like in Super Rugby? (Excuse my laziness, I'm sure some of you have a good feel for this, without me trying to take a good sample of match reports to get an understanding).
Hurricanes play in a 38000 seated, multi purpose (is cricket) stadium. So watching on the half way line, it can feel like you're 100m from the side of the pitch.

Due to winning the regular season last year, we've doubled our season ticket membership to 3,700.

Last year most games felt like about 8000 or so. More for the derby games against other NZ teams (say 12-13K). The stadium needs around 18-20K to generate an atmosphere.

I think the main problem is that it's just easier to watch live on TV. Esp when you consider Wellington weather.
I don't think it's pricing - my ST is nz$140 in the bronze section which gives me 6 Hurricanes games and 5 Wellington Lions NPC games, plus right to purchase for ABs games (which will sell out).
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

kUD wrote:
OneMore wrote:What are attendances like in Super Rugby? (Excuse my laziness, I'm sure some of you have a good feel for this, without me trying to take a good sample of match reports to get an understanding).
Hurricanes play in a 38000 seated, multi purpose (is cricket) stadium. So watching on the half way line, it can feel like you're 100m from the side of the pitch.

Due to winning the regular season last year, we've doubled our season ticket membership to 3,700.

Last year most games felt like about 8000 or so. More for the derby games against other NZ teams (say 12-13K). The stadium needs around 18-20K to generate an atmosphere.

I think the main problem is that it's just easier to watch live on TV. Esp when you consider Wellington weather.
I don't think it's pricing - my ST is nz$140 in the bronze section which gives me 6 Hurricanes games and 5 Wellington Lions NPC games, plus right to purchase for ABs games (which will sell out).
What sort of attendance would the equivalent Rugby League games have? (If there is an equivalent, I'm really not well versed on League).
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

PLEASE PLEASE- I emplore all rugby fans to forget the mickey mouse 6 nations and start watching this super 14 stuff if you need an alternative.
They are showing us the way forward have been for years yet we don`t seem to want to follow.
If I was to pinpoint in one sentence the difference between us and them it would be the summed up by the saying- `HIGH RISK=HIGH REWARD`.
kUD
Novice

Post by kUD »

HairyJ wrote: What sort of attendance would the equivalent Rugby League games have? (If there is an equivalent, I'm really not well versed on League).
League is more an Aussie thing. There's only one NZ team, playing in the NRL. The Warriors, based out of Auckland.
Don't really know how many go to their games. Auckland has a much bigger population base. 1.5m compared to Wellington's 300k (NZ as a whole is about 4.5m).
Similarly with football, there's only 1 professional NZ team in the A league. Based in Wellington, I'd guess The Phoenix average 5-6K per game.
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

kUD wrote:
HairyJ wrote: What sort of attendance would the equivalent Rugby League games have? (If there is an equivalent, I'm really not well versed on League).
League is more an Aussie thing. There's only one NZ team, playing in the NRL. The Warriors, based out of Auckland.
Don't really know how many go to their games. Auckland has a much bigger population base. 1.5m compared to Wellington's 300k (NZ as a whole is about 4.5m).
Similarly with football, there's only 1 professional NZ team in the A league. Based in Wellington, I'd guess The Phoenix average 5-6K per game.
Thanks, kUD!

I didn't realise that RL wasn't a big thing in NZ (or rather, that there was only one NRL team).
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

bazzaj wrote:PLEASE PLEASE- I emplore all rugby fans to forget the mickey mouse 6 nations and start watching this super 14 stuff if you need an alternative.
They are showing us the way forward have been for years yet we don`t seem to want to follow.
If I was to pinpoint in one sentence the difference between us and them it would be the summed up by the saying- `HIGH RISK=HIGH REWARD`.
I can't get over the amount of offloads. They seem to go into contact thinking "who's running off me here?", whereas too many of our guys go into contact thinking "Bosh!".

As Baggy said yesterday, these guys obviously have perfect playing conditions whereas the Pro 12 etc. doesn't, but they still have a completely different philosophy of playing. It's great to watch.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

HairyJ wrote:
bazzaj wrote:PLEASE PLEASE- I emplore all rugby fans to forget the mickey mouse 6 nations and start watching this super 14 stuff if you need an alternative.
I can't get over the amount of offloads. They seem to go into contact thinking "who's running off me here?", whereas too many of our guys go into contact thinking "Bosh!".

As Baggy said yesterday, these guys obviously have perfect playing conditions whereas the Pro 12 etc. doesn't, but they still have a completely different philosophy of playing. It's great to watch.
Weather in Wellington and the South Island?

Really?

We have paradise compared to them
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

Russ wrote:
HairyJ wrote:

Weather in Wellington and the South Island?

Really?

We have paradise compared to them
I was generalising, but fair point.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Not a big fan of uncontested scrums. Interesting to see if the new bp system changes it.
HairyJ
Initiate

Post by HairyJ »

These Aussie commentators are great :lol:
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

HairyJ wrote:These Aussie commentators are great :lol:
Loved the Thriller reference :D

28 degrees c in Perth! Don't have these problems in the Pro 12 :D
222toHounslow
Warrior Chief

Post by 222toHounslow »

Marceau looks a gash signing.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Eh?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

damianmcr wrote:Eh?
Bit like a cryptic clue in a crossword some lad Marceau must have signed for someone :scratch:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best