RBS 6 Nations 2017

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: RBS 6 Nations 2017

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Of course there was nothing wrong with the DG shot. It gave him too shots at the three points.
Certainly wasn't as long as your name is Janny the Loop and you have no interest in entertaining the crowd or scoring tries. Good call Snipe. :thumleft:
Following that line of logic, you would never kick a penalty at goal. G'wan with ye.....keep the scoreboard ticking.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
rocky wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:Well Mrs Trousers is enormously happy, who would have guessed that she would have lasted 37 years as "the current Mrs Trousers"?

Congratulations to her. >appl >appl >appl
The poor, poor woman. Must be an absolute angel, not only to have to put up with Baggy but also to have to read all that sh1te he writes :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, the Murray try:
Yes, it was a double movement BUT as he was not being held in a tackle by another player, he was perfectly entitled to do what he did.
Try, no doubt.

Y'awl have bin helped!
PS - Zebro was feckin' awful.
Murray was magical.
Best was everywhere. Great to hear him getting a very big ovation when he came off.
I don't see a problem with Murray's try. Not only was there no tackle, but he didn't ground the ball until the act of scoring so there was no second movement there either.
The Irish halfbacks were magnificent. Fine team performance, but I'd expect to see AAT back in there next time out as neither winger had a good game and Zebo was particularly pants.

FFFS Snipe keep up, we've already decided there was nothing wrong with the try. :duh:

Correction, one of the Irish halfbacks was magnificent, however given you obviously have a strong stomach you may as well read this nauseating piece of arselickery to justify that ludicrous statement to yourself. http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.2989521
Just agreeing and adding a little more context. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
I don't see a problem with Murray's try. Not only was there no tackle, but he didn't ground the ball until the act of scoring so there was no second movement there either.
The Irish halfbacks were magnificent. Fine team performance, but I'd expect to see AAT back in there next time out as neither winger had a good game and Zebo was particularly pants.
So many posts just because Baggy wouldn't know a good try if he scored it himself. :D

Agreed on Trimble.
Don't talk ballix Turnip, I was feeling a little ......................biased at the time. I've issued a statement to the effect that I was .............. inaccurate in the heat of the moment, simply presenting an alternative fact at the time, it's all the rage these days.

Let's say my slightly one-eyed view of it was............... un crime de passion, I fuc'king hate Ireland, especially that gobshite Sexton, Rory should concuss the bast'ard.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Deraless wrote:
BR wrote:
Deraless wrote:IF... Sexton went against the captain's decision and they then had a barney, Rory should have put him through the feckin changing room wall at half time.
Difficulty is a captain can only make the tactical decision based on what his kicker is comfortable with.
Was he concerned about his stats or something? Different story over distance maybe but he's an international kicker. Would Farrell or 0.5p have said "Nah I'm going for the corner"? Also if there in fact was an argument it's not like Rory was asking him for his opinion.
I assume PJs 100% stats have him rattled

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:Of course there was nothing wrong with the DG shot. It gave him too shots at the three points.
DGs are a tick on the MOTM award checklist too

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

BaggyTrousers wrote: Don't talk ballix Turnip, I was feeling a little ......................biased at the time. I've issued a statement to the effect that I was .............. inaccurate in the heat of the moment, simply presenting an alternative fact at the time, it's all the rage these days.

Let's say my slightly one-eyed view of it was............... un crime de passion, I fuc'king hate Ireland, especially that gobshite Sexton, Rory should concuss the bast'ard.
Gwan away you ludraman.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Dublin4 wrote:Ireland played exactly as predicted by me a couple of weeks ago.
Phase after phase of keep ball, wearing the French down.
Murray was simply outstanding and must be nailed on as the Lions test starter.
Heaslip and Sexton were very good and when you have 8,9,10 in that frame it is very hard for the opposition.

France are improving but they are years off the structure we have. Their discipline really cracked in the first half of the second half. There was nothing wrong with Jonathan Sexton having the drop goal. In fact I would say it had a bad effect on the opposition morale.

Those of you who criticise and bitch on about how boring it is obviously don't recall (maybe some of you are too young) how Ireland would go a decade and more losing every game to France. I like it that we don't do that anymore. I guess it's nice to win.
I think Joe and the Ireland set-up are very pragmatic. Sport in general is a results-based game. Certainly, if you ooze talent then you can play with a bit more freedom but Ireland play very much to their strengths. I find it pretty dull to watch but I also appreciate what they are trying to achieve. In addition, the conditions meant that Ireland's tactics were particularly effective. Wales away will be an interesting one. Ireland will be favourites but under pressure to win whereas Wales will be hurting from defeat to the scots. Very hard game to call that one.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Certainly wasn't as long as your name is Janny the Loop and you have no interest in entertaining the crowd or scoring tries. Good call Snipe. :thumleft:
Following that line of logic, you would never kick a penalty at goal. G'wan with ye.....keep the scoreboard ticking.
No it doesn't. There are times when you take the three points that are on offer, and that's what he would have done had the DG missed.

However, knowing that the three points off the tee should have been assured, he had an opportunity to have a free shot at more than three points, knowing that if they failed, Nige would bring it back for the kick anyway.

Different if the kick was from out wide and you have worked your way infield and the DG is easier,but in this instance the kick from tee would have been a gimme for a player like Sexton.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Home advantage is massive in international rugby particularly with the patriotic support the 6 nations inspires.
The emotional investment of the crowd is the extra man.

Italy's move from a tightly packed stadium to an half empty one meant Ireland had an easier task as their crowd wasn't a factor.

Ireland will do well to win in Wales especially playing that one out style rugby that the Scots and French managed to cope with easily.
Especially away from home those tactics will invite those big hits from Moriarty etc that lifts the crowd and their team.

Ireland need to vary play through decoy runners and working the ball in space to get a bit of an offloading game going on.
They seem to move the ball wide as a last resort.
Having said that the French are looking to at last play that offloading style and what Ireland did very well was to negate it by wrapping.
Picamole in particular was identified and neutralised.

It shows the need to have a variety and flexibility of tactics at that level rather than play in one particular style.

Scotland v Wales seemed like a Scottish walk over from the score but I didn't see it that way.
Wales committed rugby suicide out wide.
Unenforced errors through squinted penalties dropped passes, amateur choices from experienced players at key times unravelled them.

Scotland seem to play rugby's equivalent to rope a dope.
They hang in, scramble well then wait for the oppositon to punch themselves out and take advantage through their quality out wide.

Twickenham will be a different story I would have thought.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
No it doesn't. There are times when you take the three points that are on offer, and that's what he would have done had the DG missed.

However, knowing that the three points off the tee should have been assured, he had an opportunity to have a free shot at more than three points, knowing that if they failed, Nige would bring it back for the kick anyway.

Different if the kick was from out wide and you have worked your way infield and the DG is easier,but in this instance the kick from tee would have been a gimme for a player like Sexton.
Factually correct, but in the context of an international game, totally wrong.
Nothing is assured in international rugby as we saw last week. It's a snap decision one of dozens of snap decisions that a flyhalf takes every game. If you take a look and if there's nothing on you take the DG shot. Sexton and only Sexton knows if he saw something else that he could have done.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote: If you take a look and if there's nothing on you take the DG shot.
Exactly, and I strongly suspect the instructions at HT were to keep the scoreboard moving.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Absolutely Grumps, the only thing you omitted was the DG gave him the opportunity to fist pump and leave the adoring masses thinking a Janny the Loop, saviour of Ireland, whereas Conor Murray was by a distance the player who most influenced the game.

That of course doesn't fit the Loop agenda.

Surprised Snipe buys it just the same.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

Absolutely Grumps, the only thing you omitted was the DG gave him the opportunity to fist pump and leave the adoring masses thinking a Janny the Loop, saviour of Ireland, whereas Conor Murray was by a distance the player who most influenced the game.

That of course doesn't fit the Loop agenda.

Surprised Snipe buys it just the same.
That fist pump really riled me up

It was an easy 3 pointer and Ireland had an advantage and I believe had an abundance of men going to the right

Now I will agree that a drop goal from that position is an option, but only if you dont have a free play

Have no doubt about it. Janny and his himmy were playing for one reason only yesterday and that was to boost the image of Janny

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: If you take a look and if there's nothing on you take the DG shot.
Exactly, and I strongly suspect the instructions at HT were to keep the scoreboard moving.
Right so what he had was an assured 3 points but he gambled and went for 3 points.

Genius. :duh:
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Deraless wrote:

Was he concerned about his stats or something? Different story over distance maybe but he's an international kicker. Would Farrell or 0.5p have said "Nah I'm going for the corner"? Also if there in fact was an argument it's not like Rory was asking him for his opinion.
Yes, AWJ wanted to kick for the posts yesterday and both Biggar and Halfpenny said no.
Mary had a little lamb . . .