Montpellier vs Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Re: Montpellier vs Ulster

Post by ruckover »

OneMore wrote:This probably should have its own thread, but this being one of our two toughest away games, does anyone think we can make a home QF with anything less than 5 wins? We had 5 wins last year and lost out on whatever it was (points difference or tries scored, I can't remember), so I'm thinking if we lose this weekend, we'll be looking for 4 points from Welford Road.

Or else we can forget about home QF.
With Munster losing this weekend and still having to go away to Perpignan, I'd say they've definitely forfeited a home quarter-final this weekend. With Clermont also losing, still having to go away to the Scarlets and Harlequins, I would say they'll struggle for a home quarter-final too. With us having Treviso which hopefully should be 10 points, I'd say we're still in with a very good chance of a home QF.

Have faith :red:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

that's a really good interview with Ledesma.

"(Ulster) C’est une belle équipe à étudier." Deccy Fitzpatrick will be blushing.

Maaak's words last week were interesting - targeting 4 points from each game. Granted it's a soundbite but it does make you wonder if there's a gameplan that sees bonus points as irrelevant so long as you're rolling forward over everything. It could mean our Euro games are more about control and tightness than playing flowing rugby and the selections may demonstrate that.

from the start of the season we've conceded 76 points in 6 games which is just under 13 a game. that's pretty tight and frankly the display against Dragons / last ditch success at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory v Glasgow were abberations - I'd say MA's plan is all about control. As I've said before I hope the Saracens game last year has been a lesson because quite simply they never let us get a foothold and that's something we can definitely do to other teams.
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Just realised, close to UR nirvana this weekend, get up to watch the Ravens take on Bergerac & Co and Niall back (everyone silent for the kicks now!) then home to watch Treviso beat the Tigers up a bit. Then the big boys 3:40pm Saturday! Hoooorah! Unfortunately not much on Sunday, unless Glasgow Exeter floats your boat :lol:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Joe Schmo wrote:Just realised, close to UR nirvana this weekend, get up to watch the Ravens take on Bergerac & Co and Niall back (everyone silent for the kicks now!) then home to watch Treviso beat the Tigers up a bit. Then the big boys 3:40pm Saturday! Hoooorah! Unfortunately not much on Sunday, unless Glasgow Exeter floats your boat :lol:
Glasgow v Exeter will be interesting as it could well sort that pool out if Exeter win it and also it has a certain Exile called Steenson playing 10 for Exeter.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Joe Schmo
Chancellor to the King

Post by Joe Schmo »

Rooster wrote:
Joe Schmo wrote:Just realised, close to UR nirvana this weekend, get up to watch the Ravens take on Bergerac & Co and Niall back (everyone silent for the kicks now!) then home to watch Treviso beat the Tigers up a bit. Then the big boys 3:40pm Saturday! Hoooorah! Unfortunately not much on Sunday, unless Glasgow Exeter floats your boat :lol:
Glasgow v Exeter will be interesting as it could well sort that pool out if Exeter win it and also it has a certain Exile called Steenson playing 10 for Exeter.
Glasgow v Exeter it is then!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Glasgow vs Ulster Ravens is on Sunday
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

Who to take the kicks this weekend?!

I'd go with Pienaar even though we haven't seen him much and he can have his dodgy moments as well. In a game like this in France he'd be my choice. Although Pj is in good form, he'd need 10 games kicking at the standard he is currently at rather than just the last 2 to be fully trusted.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

HammerTime wrote:Who to take the kicks this weekend?!

I'd go with Pienaar even though we haven't seen him much and he can have his dodgy moments as well. In a game like this in France he'd be my choice. Although Pj is in good form, he'd need 10 games kicking at the standard he is currently at rather than just the last 2 to be fully trusted.
Pienaar hasn't kicked in a competitive game for 5 months. It has to be Jackson in my opinion.
silliwilli
Novice

Post by silliwilli »

No time to be taking the kicking off of Paddy. He is confident and both kicking and playing at a higher level than ever before. Why jeopordise that by taking the responsibility away from him.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Who would play ten if say, The ginger prince had an injury?
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
silliwilli
Novice

Post by silliwilli »

Ruan I'd imagine...but please don't do that to us Kofi...
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

We will be playing in a hotbed of an atmosphere the like of PJ will never have experienced before. This isn't Castres. Pienaar has much more experience and cool temperament in this type of game. Yea PJ has been good but it has only been 2 games!! He has been awful (kicking wise) for most of 30 games before that. I really hope he has turned the corner, not sure if this is the game to be testing it. I take the point about Pienaar not kicking at a high level but then again he has been playing at the highest level....well for forever, the man never gets a break. It's 51:49 for me in Pienaar's favour...valid arguments can be made for both.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

Enjoyed watching Exeter last weekend.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
MightyRearranger
Warrior

Post by MightyRearranger »

HammerTime wrote:We will be playing in a hotbed of an atmosphere the like of PJ will never have experienced before.
Given how he's been kicking last week i think Paddy should keep on doing it. He may be young, but he's already played in a couple of major cup finals and been the starting fly half for Ireland in the 6 nations so I wouldn't have thought he'd be over-awed by the situation.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

I must admit I believe in start off strong,against the French we need to muscle up.

Court
Best
Afoa
Muller
Tuohy
Henry
Williams
Wilson

Pienaar
Jackson

Trimble
Marshall