Sharks v Ulster Saturday 22nd October 5:15pm KO (UK Time) Premier Sports 1

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Sharks v Ulster Saturday 22nd October 5:15pm KO (UK Time) Premier Sports 1

Post by Bart S »

big mervyn wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:15 pm
Neill_M wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:06 pm Just the 29 players and 13 support staff sick in South Africa. Due back tomorrow lunchtime.

E Coli and Norovirus detected.
Next season's NIQs?
Hope not. With Rib Herring likely to be away with Ireland a lot ulster really needs a solid No.2
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Bart S wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:22 pm
big mervyn wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:15 pm
Neill_M wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:06 pm Just the 29 players and 13 support staff sick in South Africa. Due back tomorrow lunchtime.

E Coli and Norovirus detected.
Next season's NIQs?
Hope not. With Rib Herring likely to be away with Ireland a lot ulster really needs a solid No.2
Well played sir >appl :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Murray Kinsella
@Murray_Kinsella
URC CEO Martin Anayi says there's chance the postponed Sharks v Ulster and Lions v Glasgow might not end up being rescheduled.

Ideally, they get played but if there are calendar issues or concerns over "mismatches", may have to be decided by sporting committee.

Full medical enquiry ongoing re how the two sides got ill.
Last edited by Neill_M on Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I wonder will they dump the competition for no reason for another rainbow cup?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Neill_M wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:40 pm Murray Kinsella
@Murray_Kinsella
URC CEO Martin Anayi says there's chance the postponed Sharks v Ulster and Lions v Glasgow might not end up being rescheduled.

Ideally, they get played but if there are calendar issues or concerns over "mismatches", may have to be decided by sporting committee.

Full medical enquiry ongoing re how the two sides got ill.
Ah well. Sh*t happens
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

The latest quote from Anayi is suggesting that Ulster and Glasgow brought the bug with them? Hard to believe given that both E.Coli and Norovirus have short incubation times and would have declared themselves before the first game. Moreover, Norovirus in particular is really really infectious and the Lions would have all caught it from the Ulster match and the Sharks from the Glasgow game. Unless they're saying Glasgow and Ulster brought out a massive batch of undercooked chicken with them in tupperware and stored it away to eat after the first match? The hotel/infrastructure in Durban has to be a much more likely culprit given the timings.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I agree, Allez. The entire episode stinks. E coli and norovirus are very different things. E coli, as I understand, would more likely spread as an infection from handling of certain meats. Hence bbqs are a big source of food poisoning. It seems to me, unusual that two separate teams would be infected on this scale accidentally. What? A conspiracy against Ulster?

Norovirus is a different entity. It could be conceivably passed person to person quite easily. Although at the rates suggested, still sounds very high. It isn't like covid or other respiratory disease that can spread in aerosol form through coughing/sneezing out viral material. Norovirus symptoms typically include vomiting and diarrhoea. Thus with players having hotel rooms etc there is less opportunity to come into contact with viral material. Assuming all players wipe their own bums, inadequate cleaning and handwashing the likelier way to exacerbate the spread of infection. Generally handwashing and sanitising has improved but this is all guesswork.

In conclusion, I have more questions than evidence but we was robbed if we get robbed of points.

jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

Anayi obviously is a pal of the sharks ceo and setting rhe scene for the sharks and lions to get the points. Completely disingenuous to suggest both ulster and Glasgow brought this with them and I hope petrie is up in arms over this.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:57 pm It isn't like covid or other respiratory disease that can spread in aerosol form through coughing/sneezing out viral material. Norovirus symptoms typically include vomiting and diarrhoea. Thus with players having hotel rooms etc there is less opportunity to come into contact with viral material.
Norovirus can spread by aerosols. Most likely cause of these is by flushing of toilets after someone with the virus has crapped or boked into it.

The aerosols are quite robust and can survive for some time. Possibly in hotel reception area, hotel gym etc or other shared spaces? I picked it up (as did my 94yo mother) while sitting in A&E at RVH. Seems most people in A&E that day went down with it even though no one was showing symptoms. More and more evidence emerging of norovirus transmission by aerosols as well as feco-oral and vomit-oral pathways.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:57 pm It isn't like covid or other respiratory disease that can spread in aerosol form through coughing/sneezing out viral material. Norovirus symptoms typically include vomiting and diarrhoea. Thus with players having hotel rooms etc there is less opportunity to come into contact with viral material.
Norovirus can spread by aerosols. Most likely cause of these is by flushing of toilets after someone with the virus has crapped or boked into it.

The aerosols are quite robust and can survive for some time. Possibly in hotel reception area, hotel gym etc or other shared spaces? I picked it up (as did my 94yo mother) while sitting in A&E at RVH. Seems most people in A&E that day went down with it even though no one was showing symptoms. More and more evidence emerging of norovirus transmission by aerosols as well as feco-oral and vomit-oral pathways.
FFS. It's a conspiracy. They are after us. I've made a tinfoil mask. The microchipped aerosols can't get in.

Vomit micro particles can fill every corner in a room. It's gross but true.
allezlesverres
Initiate

Post by allezlesverres »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:19 pm

All true but on this scale the very likely source is either sanitation (tap water, shower water or food washed in tap water) or an infected hotel worker with poor hand hygiene working in the kitchens, cleaning glasses in the bar, or cleaning rooms.

The 42 are running an article with a quote from munster saying to be wary of the experience galvanising Ulster. With talk of us forfeiting the points, we would really need the team to have a strong reaction because if we want to stay in touch with Leinster, it's now a must win game. If we come away from this without points and lose the Sharks points we will be too far adrift to catch them.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Just Google Water quality in Durban andyou will see that there is a re-occurring problem in the area ?Whilst it may not be related to the fact that both teams spent time in Durban it seems to be a strange coincidence ?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

If they are drinking tap water in SA then they deserve every points deduction.
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

I have to disagree, we have many drinking troughs, fountains etc., in Switzerland and everyone has to be clearly marked if the water is not safe to drink. Home duty of care and all that.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Yeah in Switzerland.