Irish Squad Announced

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Re: Irish Squad Announced

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Neil F wrote:...the trouble is that the Ireland lineout is, often, dependent on the Munster lineout. The Munster lineout hasn't been working this season, nor has the Ireland lineout. To be perfectly honest, the problems with the Ireland lineouts exist entirely amongst the players, and are, mostly, not stemming from opposition pressure ...

In the Autumn, for example, there were three main problems with the Ireland lineout; some dodgy throwing from both Best and Flannery, some mistimed jumps and lifts and some very poor calls. I just don't believe that the Ireland lineout will be significantly improved by O'Connell and O'Callaghan going up against O'Kelly or O'Driscoll instead of Caldwell, Casey, Ryan or Toner in training...
I would be a fan of Bob Casey being given a go at 2nd row with POC. from what ive seen of him at GP level, and there are stats to back it up, his jumping in a lineout is exceptional, and when coupled with his leadership ability on the field, he'd be worth a shout. everything else you've mentioned ie your "3 faults" require solid work on the training pitch, and someone (ie whoever makes the calls, or a POC or a Casey to ask them to think again) to think clearly in a pressure situation. nothing else. a reliance on a munster line-out only allows short-cuts to be taken - the best guys for the position should be included in the team and then work on communication begins - to say that DOC and POC have a great partnership and using that as a reason for them both to play doesnt cut it for me. (appreciate you didnt say this neilf)
Similarly, I don't believe that Ferris or Heaslip coming up against Quinlan on the training ground will teach them anything that they haven't learned from playing in the ML and HEC. When you consider the players that Ferris and Heaslip have come up against, in full contact matches, and the players that Ferris and Heaslip have got the better off in full contact matches, I think one must question the wisdom of including someone like Quinlan for the sole purpose of winding up Ferris and Heaslip in training, if this choice is as you suggest. Full contact training has its benefits but it also has limitations in what it can achieve. I, personally, don't see the benefit in what you say.
i'd disagree on this, not solely on what quinlan can achieve in winding up a younger back-row player on the training pitch, but for overall how he can help them develop on the training pitch. quinlan - as much as he creates dislike - is much more than a wind-up merchant on the field, and his all round game offers a lot (or certainly used to). guys like girve and geordan, perhaps also hayes, who maybe are beginning to play their last for ireland can still offer loads in the development of younger guys making the breakthru. how much has tom court's game improved with training alongside BJ, likewise pollock with dawson? what you can learn on a training pitch vs what you learn on a game can often be much greater, particularly from an analysis "after a game" viewpoint - how much of IHs development do we think is down to watching thru videos with big bro? also at the breakdown, its one thing to play against a mccaw and get robbed 5-6 times a game, its another to have quinlan doing it to you in training, taking you to one side and then telling you (1) how he has done it, (2) how not to get pinged for it, and (3) telling you how you can stop him doing it.
As I said, I will repeat - I think someone like Pollock would have a lot more to gain from being in the extended squad than Ferris and Heaslip would gain from Quinlan being in the squad.
Perhaps, perhaps not - playing in A games instead of not being involved in full set-up will IMO help develop him more. there are plenty of back-rows and at present he's down the pecking order, he's plenty to learn yet.
Likewise IH - instead of getting a full call-up and playing the paddy wallace world cup role - ie pick splinters out of your Brennan - get him playing the few A games there are and keep a close eye on him. there is always the option of pulling him in if required, or as an alternative to ROG.

on ROG, his game this season has improved from a backline aspect, and if he carries this into the green shirt he has the potential to be one of the best players in the 6N tournament.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Ithryn wrote:gah neil you write such long posts, i wish i could write so prodigiously, currently struggling away on an essay on the logic and value of comparative thought in the social sciences :banghead:
You started so eloquently, and superb use of big words... but then...
sorry for taking thread off topic, just blowing stream will i scream at my essay.
better proof read that masters essay before you hand it in!!!
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Agree 100% with you WhiteKnight Casey should be be given a go to parter POC in the 2nd row and drop DOC to tbe bench!

Not just for his arial ability but for his leadership qualities, if DK were to opt for a younger more experimental side then the squad will be very short on real leaders on the pitch (this is assuming guys like BOD, Quinlan and Hayes are given a rest) And for Caseys physical stature, hes got a couple of inches dependion on where you take is his stats from and almost 2st over DOC!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
LETS_GO_ULSTER
Novice

Post by LETS_GO_ULSTER »

Beat me to it WKOTW, your lance of knowledge pointed out the important fact that you learn more playing against someone in training than you would in a real match as you can sit down afterwards and analysis what happened with the guys your playing with. Again, I think DK has the right mix for the training squad, however at this stage it's anyone's guess what the match day 22 will be.
Really?
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

I'd be happy with that for the France game but I fear Dempsey and Stringer could be on that list.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

The opinion of most people seems to be that hayes and horan will start, ireland now have props thats are better or at least at the same level as these 2, Ross and Court.
Hayes' days as a guaranteed starter should be over, recently he hasn't even looked up to heineken cup standard, missing tackles and not being able to keep up with the pace of the game in general, Ross on the other hand has been on good form and has played well (except for getting destroyed by the leicester scrum, but so did munster), so surely he deserves a start as hayes will retire soon and we will be left with no other props, except Buckley, having international experienece.
As for horan, my previous understnading was a prop standing on the wing makes him lazy, except in horans case, this which makes him a great player :duh:. So why not give court ago, he has again been on great form all season, can carry the ball and will hit rucks, whilst being capable of scrumaging.
The french should have a very powerful scrum and i fear if we go for "experience" we will be on the back foot the whole game and we all know how ireland and ROG play when we don't have front foot ball.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I agree with your logic RHH... but I fear that Kidney may not be able to let go of a few of the old stagers and the 3/4 options of Cave, Earls and Fitz with handful of caps between them may find themselves behind some of Murphy, Dempsey, D'Arcy and Horgan despite their lack of recent form.

I couldn't call the options for replacement prop and 2nd row, but the Irish based players will probably have an advantage, and these decisions may be ones where performance in the training camp will count for a lot.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

He's on a poisoned chalice there RHH.

Should he play the golden oldies and scrape a few wins, his employers will be happy. Should he play the golden oldies and lose a couple of games he'll be able to change things around and bring in a few new faces.

If he plays the new faces and they lose, his employers wont be happy, and his only option to change thigs is to bring in the oldies again. In this scenario though i suspect the press and public would give him credit, but would the IRFU???

For this reason, i think he'll give one new cap in the first match and probably 3 or 4 at most over the championship. I dont think DK would ever send 6 players with less than 10 caps each onto the pitch together to play a 6N match.
cables
Lord Chancellor

Post by cables »

For this reason, i think he'll give one new cap in the first match and probably 3 or 4 at most over the championship. I dont think DK would ever send 6 players with less than 10 caps each onto the pitch together to play a 6N match.
On a quick look, EOS did 4.

In my lifetime:
Total caps at start of game = 3 and that was one player! - the rest had none. We lost to France at LR - 8-12
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Antrim Hills
Novice

Post by Antrim Hills »

ColinM wrote:He's on a poisoned chalice there RHH.

Should he play the golden oldies and scrape a few wins, his employers will be happy. Should he play the golden oldies and lose a couple of games he'll be able to change things around and bring in a few new faces.

If he plays the new faces and they lose, his employers wont be happy, and his only option to change thigs is to bring in the oldies again. In this scenario though i suspect the press and public would give him credit, but would the IRFU???

Excuse the intrusion, but ColinM's post is the closest to the reality of the situation IMHO.

Furthermore, It not only about the 'politics' between Coach & IRFU. Despite the advances of the GP, ML & HEC, there is still a signifiacant step up to International level, and the 6N is a notoriously fickle tournament.

Whether or not they have showed it recently in a lesser arena, the old lags have all proven that they were effective at 6N level at some stage. This is a valuable commodity. DK's job is to (a) weed out those who no longer have it and (b) find out which of the contenders can make the step (at this stage in their development).

Almost forgot to mention he doesn't get much in the way of practice games, and his team, unlike a ML, or GP team, only plays 10 or so games in three lumps spread across 10 months.

Not a bad set of challenges on your first day in the job !

We fans love to dissect and reassemble the team and in so doing much sense (as well as nonsense) is talked. But the hard practicalities of acutally chosing what to do (and when is the best time to do it) don't constrain us, as they do the DK's of this world.

Coaches should be judged on results i.e. retrospectively. By all means enjoy the debates, but IMHO we need to mark his card after the 6N.

What were some saying about Matt Williams in September, October, etc. ? - something about being gone by Xmas I seem to recall.
"Everything has its limit – iron ore cannot be educated into gold." - Mark Twain
King Ding
Squire

Post by King Ding »

Coaches should be judged on results i.e. retrospectively. By all means enjoy the debates, but IMHO we need to mark his card after the 6N.
But would you rather have ireland win their games this year by scraping through with the old boys and only stealing results using ROG's boot. Or would you rather ireland gave the young lads a chance and let them show us what they can do, throw the ball about a bit and put in good performances.
I would rather have ireland performing well with young guys and having something to build on, rather than playing the oldies until they retire, we need to think about the world cup now, so we are at our performance peak when it comes around a few losses between now and then is acceptable.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

King Ding wrote:
But would you rather have ireland win their games this year by scraping through with the old boys and only stealing results using ROG's boot. Or would you rather ireland gave the young lads a chance and let them show us what they can do, throw the ball about a bit and put in good performances.
I would rather have ireland performing well with young guys and having something to build on, rather than playing the oldies until they retire, we need to think about the world cup now, so we are at our performance peak when it comes around a few losses between now and then is acceptable.
What I was getting at above is that what you (I, and probably the majority of us) would prefer is different to what the IRFU would prefer, and as Deccie's employers they kinda call the shots. I've no doubt DK will change things more than EOS, and more quickly that EOS would have done. It just won't be as quickly as some of the armchair coaches on here would. :wink:
Antrim Hills
Novice

Post by Antrim Hills »

King Ding wrote:
King Ding,
Like you I'd love to see some experimentation, but IMHO that's likely to simply remain as a debating point at this early stage. (I did say we should enjoy the debates though).

I just think expecting DK to push the boat out so far on a first 6N match is too much to expect to happen. There is only one Marc Liveremont !

I am not advocating retaining old lags for sentimental reasons until their dotage - I just think he needs to take care he has enough international experience on the field to allow the team to operate. The only way guys get experience and/or show their potential is by getting a chance, but DK has to do this within an overall pattern of stability & confidence.
Confidence lost takes a long time to regain - look at Ulster.
I agree the antithesis is being too conservative.
"Everything has its limit – iron ore cannot be educated into gold." - Mark Twain
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

i see the might y sexton couldn't make the leinster squad and was playing AIL rught at the weekend yet he still makes the Ireland squad. What a joke
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

From the IRFU site

Ireland Management Confirm Captain and Season Plan
27 January 2009 10:45 am

The Ireland Management set out their plans for the coming calendar year in terms of the development of the Ireland playing panel with the announcement of a summer tour in May and a further planned test match in November. Ireland Coach Declan Kidney also confirmed Brian O'Driscoll as Captain of Ireland for the forthcoming RBS 6 Nations Championship.

The summer tour will see Ireland play test matches against both Canada and the USA at the end of May to continue to expose players to international rugby. These games straddle the Heineken Cup final and will contain players who are not involved in either that final or the Lions tour to South Africa, allowing the Ireland team management to coach a greater spread of players.
In addition to this, members of the Ireland coaching staff will be covering the Ireland A team in the Churchill Cup tournament to take place during June. The summer tour and the Churchill Cup will see over 60 players come under the watchful eyes of the Ireland coaching staff that may not have had the opportunity to impress the coaches first hand outside of provincial duty.

The Ireland management also confirmed that the option of a fourth international during November was being discussed to take place at a venue outside of Ireland.

Commenting on the news, Ireland Coach Declan Kidney said, “This plan for the year allows us to spread the net across a greater number of players and to get to know them in the best way possible, on the training field and in international level games. With a total of 14 games that the national management will be involved in this year, it serves two purposes. One, it will give us the chance to work with players in a pressure situation who may be just below the more established members of the squad at this point in time and two, it gives them the exposure which is important for their development at the highest level.”

He continued by paying tribute to Ireland Captain Brian O’Driscoll, “I am delighted that Brian has yet again agreed to lead the side in this year’s championship. He has the leadership qualities which are vital at this level and, along with those of the other team leaders in the squad, will be important for the tournament ahead”.

Ireland Matches 2009:

• RBS Six Nations Championship (5 games): February – March

• Summer Tour
- Canada v Ireland – 23rd May
- USA v Ireland – 30th May

• Churchill Cup (3 games) – June

• Guinness Series (November)
- Ireland v TBC – 7th/8th
- Ireland v Australia – 14th/15th
- Ireland V Fiji – 21st/22nd
- Ireland v South Africa – 28th/29th

It's like Eddie never left..... :roll: