Biblical matters

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Biblical matters

Post by Shan »

solidarity wrote:Some say that less than seven percent of wars are truly religious https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_war . No doubt the figures are more complex than any simple analysis allows.

Wars are either about ideology or resources. The former obviously includes religion. However in all cases it is people who cause wars. Blaming it on religion is a cop-out. Nobody has to submit to any ideology, unless they are forced to do so. The real reason for wars is human weakness....one of those weaknesses being an eagerness to allow oneself to be fooled into believing that a divisive, hateful and petty supreme being could possibly exist.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Shan wrote:
solidarity wrote:Some say that less than seven percent of wars are truly religious https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_war . No doubt the figures are more complex than any simple analysis allows.

Wars are either about ideology or resources. The former obviously includes religion. However in all cases it is people who cause wars. Blaming it on religion is a cop-out. Nobody has to submit to any ideology, unless they are forced to do so. The real reason for wars is human weakness....one of those weaknesses being an eagerness to allow oneself to be fooled into believing that a divisive, hateful and petty supreme being could possibly exist.
I'm reading Margaret Attwood's Oryx and Crake at the minute. Looks like they've bred a race of humans with all the nasty bits taken out. No selfish ambition, rivalry, aggression etc. I get the feeling it's still not going to end well.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

The Irish Rugby Football Union (Ulster Branch) is responsible for and committed to ensuring that no employee, job applicant, volunteer, participant or member receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of age, gender, disability, ethnic origin, race, colour, nationality, parental or marital status, religious belief, class or social background, sexual preference or political belief.

Does UAFC agree?
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:The Irish Rugby Football Union (Ulster Branch) is responsible for and committed to ensuring that no employee, job applicant, volunteer, participant or member receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of age, gender, disability, ethnic origin, race, colour, nationality, parental or marital status, religious belief, class or social background, sexual preference or political belief.

Does UAFC agree?
Agree with what?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:The Irish Rugby Football Union (Ulster Branch) is responsible for and committed to ensuring that no employee, job applicant, volunteer, participant or member receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of age, gender, disability, ethnic origin, race, colour, nationality, parental or marital status, religious belief, class or social background, sexual preference or political belief.

Does UAFC agree?
Agree with what?
Agree that that is the proper way to operate?
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:

Does UAFC agree?
Agree with what?
Well the UAFC doesn't really agree on anything, so good luck.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Dave wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:

Does UAFC agree?
Agree with what?
Luck not required - just would like to know opinions.

Also is the above policy in keeping with the "Forum Rules" or do forum rules not require any or all of the above?

Just curious.
I'm not arguing -
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Dave wrote:

Does UAFC agree?
Agree with what?
Luck not required - just would like to know opinions.

Also is the above policy in keeping with the "Forum Rules" or do forum rules not require any or all of the above?

Just curious.
Why?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Lots of cats crapping in my garden - apparently curiosity kills them.
I'm not arguing -
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Does UAFC agree?
Hmm. I assume you are referring to the mocking of Jesus. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but far as I'm aware Jesus is not a member of the UAFC or the IRFU (UIster Branch)

I dont mind Jesus as it happens. Not mad about his fan club though ...
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Mocking fictional characters. How awful.

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

NI Christians have been mortally offended by this ad for Boojum.Image