Jimmy Davidson

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

colinh
Lord Chancellor

Jimmy Davidson

Post by colinh »

Well worth a read from tonight's Telly and sums up tonight very well.
The European rankings table in the past five years graphically illustrates the different fortunes of tonight's opponents. A gap of 25 places separated the two sides when Saracens destroyed Ulster at home and engineered a 13-21 away win at Ravenhill in the Heineken Cup in the 2000/01 season.
Ironically, it proved to be the last time Ulster lost at home in the Heineken, and Saracens' last season in the competition, until this year.
A successful end to the 2004-05 season in the English Premiership earned Saracens qualification this season and as Ulster slipped to 25th in the rankings, Saracens rose impressively to eighth. Current form has seen the gap close with Saracens slipping to 11th and Ulster climbing into the top twenty.
In Mark McCall and Allen Clarke's second season, there are very significant indications that the Ulster squad is making steady progress towards maturity. McCall, Clarke and their captain Simon Best's democratic and inclusive leadership styles have maximised the experience of Humphreys, Steinmetz and Harrison, utilised and channelled the self-motivation of McCulloch, Wilson, McMillan and Rory and Neil Best, and provided the freedom of expression for the burgeoning talents of Trimble and Bowe.
In the primeval parochial world of Irish provincial rugby the away victory against Munster is pretty precious and one to savour but the Ulster management and players would be foolish to ignore reality.
Without detracting in any way from the Ulster performance - which in the first half was astute and clinical, and in the second half disciplined, ferocious and indomitable - it was clear that Munster gifted the Ulstermen the win by choosing the attacking lineout option, instead of taking guaranteed penalty points. Saracens head coach Mike Ford, and his captain Mike Vyvyan, will not be as tactically inept as Kidney and O'Gara.
There is a need for a more dogmatic emphasis in the Ulster management's approach if the team is to win all its remaining games in the pool and secure a quarter-final place.
An impressive defensive system based on organisation, technique and commitment has been nurtured by Neil Kelly, but there must be even greater insistence on maintaining discipline at the breakdown. Justin Harrison's yellow card was unjust, but Isaac Boss was guilty of a cardinal sin in front of his own posts, and was fortunate not to concede a penalty try. No penalties!
There can be no latitude either for lack of concentration at set-pieces. The forwards indecision on receipt of the restarts was inexcusable and gave the initiative to Munster, instead of reinforcing dominance following an Ulster score.
Equally devastating to morale was the failure to use simple targets to guarantee possession on the Ulster throw-in, at a time when Munster developed a momentum during the final quarter. Set pieces are the easiest areas to slow the game down and reassert control.
The failure of three players to find a safe touch with defensive kicks, when the team was subject to fierce pressure, was almost a capital offence and the culprits needed severe censure, regardless of how well they may have performed.
Home advantage will assure Ulster of a huge emotional lift, but now is the time for a cold, calculated, detached, and ruthless execution denying Saracens the losers bonus point.
Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

Home advantage will assure Ulster of a huge emotional lift, but now is the time for a cold, calculated, detached, and ruthless execution denying Saracens the losers bonus point AMEN

Point is though we have the European experience via the coach and most of the players. Saracens haven't any bar two games since 2001 and that could make a difference when the heat comes on.
Bogbunny
Initiate

Post by Bogbunny »

Unless we win the 4 remaining games , the bonus points we leaked in Barritz could well come back and haunt us. :cry: :cry:
Respect

A cavalier among pork swordsmen.
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

just nitpicking but Saracens captain is Hugh Vyvyan (a uni colleague and housemate of Simon Best as disclosed on the Rugby Club last night).

otherwise I agree with most of what JD says, particularly denying them a bp (whilst preferably getting one ourselves!)
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

well you could reasonably question its vaildity.

Romeo47 Alpha 52
fermain
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by fermain »

How many turned up? Committee members and non-committee members, and total, including FezHeads? :shock:
:red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red:
Save lives, become an organ donor!!
ballpark
Warrior Chief

Post by ballpark »

BUT the REST were obvious by their absence!!! So what is support to URSC ??an ego trip?? or real support ie stand and be part not part-time

I missed the impact of this in relation to the topic :oops: Was Jimmy Davidson there??
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

I dont know Bp I was not there. I did not see the point of going to Madisons and then Ravenhill. Ive never seen him at Ravenhill as a supporter. But he does know his rugby.

Romeo47 Alpha 52
Freddie Benson
Lord Chancellor

Post by Freddie Benson »

I appreciate the efforts the URSC are making and have been present at all but one of the supporters evenings. However match night is a bit different. I'm trying to introduce a few friends to the pleasures of a Friday night in the soaking rain and getting to and from Madison's to Ravenhill is not going to improve their cheer.
No longer the Celtic League winning coach
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

I agree Freddie. CT's plan for stew in Malone was proably the best bet as Malone is very close to Ravers. Pity it was not better suported.

Romeo47 Alpha 52
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

For my sins I went along to meet and greet some Fez Heads and in total there were about 6 Ulster Supporters that took advantage of the free bus to and from the game. The entertainment after wasmuch better that standing in the rain and for what it was worth the Sarries fans appreciated the effort.

Ideally a supporters lounge at Ravenhill would be included in any re-development plans but that seems unlikely so supporters can either available of the £35 a season bar pass, the beer tent or somewhere else however the lack of choice in the immediate area is limited.

In saying that MaloneRFC are very approachable and indeed the Rosetta which shows the Setanta matches. The Munster match filled the entire bar.

There was to be a members only pre &post match marquee on Boxing Day with entertainment for the Leinster match but this now too seems unlikely.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Cockatrice wrote: There was to be a members only pre &post match marquee on Boxing Day with entertainment for the Leinster match but this now too seems unlikely.
That would have been a nice to look forward to :D A few hot ports, mince pies and a nice little band in the corner playing festive tunes :D
Sounds like another nice dream CT :wink:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

More Pie in the Sky
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Cockatrice wrote:More Pie in the Sky
forget pie in the sky CT what about stew at ravers :?: :lol:
Paul.