Ulster v Leeds

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Ulster v Leeds

Post by mikerob »

Squad for Leeds Friendly Announced
Rory Best and Stephen Ferris are included in Brian McLaughlin's squad for Thursday's friendly against Leeds at Ravenhill...

Ulster Coach Brian McLaughlin has named his squad from which the team to play Leeds, in the third and final pre-season friendly at Ravenhil this Thursday evening (ko 7.30pm) will be selected.

Irish Internationals Rory Best and Stephen Ferris feature for the first time and under IRFU regulations are permitted to each play up to 40 minutes in Thursday's match.

Prop Paddy McAllister had been named in the squad, despite suffering injuries to his neck and back following a heavy collision in the first friendly against Bath. He will be subject to a medical fitness test later this week but his recovery has been pleasing.

Also included in the line up is Adam D'Arcy who is currently on trial with Ulster from the Manly Rugby League team in Australia. Adam, who is 23 and plays full-back linked up with Ulster last week

"We have one full contract left to fill for the 2010-11 season and we're looking at Adam as a potential player for that place" said Operations Director David Humphreys.

"Should he get some gametime on Thursday it will be a huge opportunity for him to show us what he can potentially do for Ulster"

Ulster Coach Brian McLaughlin commented on his selection;

"The team we put out against Leeds is fairly close to who we are aiming to select for the home Magners League opener against The Ospreys at Ravenhill in just over a week's time."

"We were very disapointed with the result against Quins last weekend but we were happy with areas of the overall performance, particularly our defense and how our younger players performed which is important for progression"

"Against Leeds this Thursday we're looking for both a winning result and a good performance. We need a good performance to take us into the Ospreys match in the Magners League but we're very keen to get a win, not only for ourselves, but for the Ravenhill crowds as well"

"It's been a mixed pre-season period to date, frustrating because we've not had all our players available but at the same time that means we've had the opportunity to play some of the younger guys and we've been really impressed by how they've handled themselves."

"Leeds are a Premiership side who will provide us with some really good quality opposition ahead of our first competitive game in the League. We need to hold onto the ball, which we found difficult against Quins last weekend and have confidence in our game"

Forwards
Bryan Young; Rory Best; Declan Fitzpatrick; Nigel Brady; Paddy McAllister, Adam Macklin, Johann Muller, Tim Barker, Ryan Caldwell, Stephen Ferris, Willie Faloon, Pedrie Wannenburg, Robbie Diack, TJ Anderson

Backs
Ian Porter, Michael Heaney, Niall O'Connor, Ian Humphreys, Jonny Shiels, Darren Cave, Ian Whitten, Craig Gilroy, Tommy Seymour, David McIlwaine, Adam D'Arcy
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Ulster v Leeds

Post by Ardglass2 »

No Marshall or Smith - being saved for Hairsprays I hope

No Spence or McCrea - are Gilroy and Seymour ahead of them ?
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

I would have preferred to see Paddy Mac rested a while longer. I thought he was great against Bath and a super hope for the future. Reminded me of the Welsh Jones boys. I was deriding Adam Jones's hairstyle once at Lansdowne Road and the Munster guy beside me offered to hold my coat while I went down to the pitch to tell him. I refused his kind offer. I won't be making any blonde jokes about Paddy either. :D Looking forward to see how D'Arcy performs if he plays.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Well the return of Ferris and Best, and the prospect of having a gander at the new lad makes this game a bit more interesting
Ardglass2
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ardglass2 »

Hope Shiels gets a decent run out
promsandwich
Steward

Post by promsandwich »

@ dog & ulcer
I would have preferred to see Paddy Mac rested a while longer
The article states he's having a medical later in the week. Agree that for a young prop he had a very good debut and I would absolutely love to see him get more opportunities this season and hopefully continue to make an impact.

@ Ardglass2 - couldn't agree more with you about Shiels. He looked good in the friendlies last year and would give us a different option to Whitten at 12 ( in the absence of Paddy, or indeed with Whitten at 13 ). He may even get a run out at 13 in this games alongside Whitten, though the inexperienced back 3 will probably mitigate against that.

I am particularly interested to see D'Arcy and young Gilroy in action. Gilroy performed reasonably well in last weeks game and sounds like he has a bit of talent, and most importantly, genuine gas.

I agree with the comments about Seymour, he didn't set Ravers alight against Bath, but then again the back play in general was poor in that game. He deserves at least another couple of chances imo before he's condemned - not all players step up at the first time of asking. Anyway, here's hoping.

The pack should be pretty fiercesome! :evil: :evil: :D
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Red Hand Hero » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:39 am

Smith's 'eye injury' mustn't have healed sufficently...
Seen the other day on his personal facebook page that he has stitches in his eyebrow. No point getting opened up again in a friendly and missing the first game of the season!
Mary had a little lamb . . .
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

Here is the Leeds team;

http://www.leedscarnegie.com/news/14767.php

They've named a 28-man squad, so I would be expecting a deluge of second half replacements.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

not sure ferris and best will add a lot to the side - we'd have been far better off if PW and Court could have played. Back 3 is a shambles at the minute - I'd play the ozzie fella from the start - sink or swim laddie. At this rate we'll have PW at 15!!!!!!!
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

againstthehead wrote:At this rate we'll have PW at 15!!!!!!!
I think that is a distinct possibility if Aussie guy doesn't make it! Really hope it doesn't happen, not because he is no use at fullback, but because I believe his presence at no 12 absolutely vital in getting anything out of the backline.
notj
Steward

Post by notj »

Hold on a minute, let's give this guy D'Arcy a chance before reaching for the nuclear option! There is also young McIlwaine who'll play for the Ravens etc.
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

I thought I was giving Darce a chance? :scratch: :scratch:. Was just commenting on some options if he does not get signed.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Still think we have more of a problem at 10 than any other position.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

Agreed Rooster, also said the same thing last year. My comment on Paddy at FB was based on a remark I made to one the squad about Paddy playing OH, & the response was he was more likely to end up at FB. Hopefully he can stay at no 12 & maybe his distribution skills can sort out the lack on invention so far along the backline.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Still think we have more of a problem at 10 than any other position.
With Sexton now in direct competition with ROG for the Ireland 10 shirt, surely it is time for the IRFU to relax the ruling on IQ fly halves only, especially considering that Paddy Wallace is ahead of the 2 current incumbents at Ulster. Have been a long time supporter of Ian Humphs but he still lacks consistency and as for NOC he does not seem to be progressing at all....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.