O'Gara - what an arrogant little f***wit

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

ravinghill
Novice

O'Gara - what an arrogant little f***wit

Post by ravinghill »

Just read this quote from Mr Godlike himself on the BBC ....

While acknowledging Sexton enjoyed an accomplished afternoon, O'Gara believes his influence was key in preventing the Six Nations' greatest upset since Italy joined the championship in 2000.

"At that stage in the game you go at it and don't think too much, you just do your job," said the Munster half-back.

"The ability to do that comes with experience - as a youngster you don't understand that.

"I was told that once but it's when you get in my position - and I've been lucky to steer the Ireland and Munster ship for 10 years - that you understand it.

"Then someone like Jonny comes in and he's really good but to continue the analogy, when the ship hits choppy waters you bring someone in.

"Jonny played well, but I got backed to come on and try to win the game.

"It's important to have two fellas fighting it out because we can offer a lot going forward."

As if I didnt want to punch him enough before ......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 389039.stm
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Re: O'Gara - what an arrogant little f***wit

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

You may argue with him coming out and saying, it, but you can't argue with what he actually said, surely?

When someone puts a mic in front of you or asks you to write something, you have to come up with something, and it's not too far wrong - whatever your feelings for him are.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Irish Rugby Legend - like it or not!!
The King is dead. Long live the King.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

Last of the straight-shooters

like him or not, he says what he means.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Can't stand the guy - but I'm glad we had him on Saturday.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

the whirly-bird action when he got the drop kick impressed me.
it's not a celebration, it's telling those around him to get back, get switched on, this isn't won yet, etc etc...

i tell thee this, his will be a large hole to fill once he exits the international set-up
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

and that's not a rude joke at his expense.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Any international 10 worth his salt would have put that drop goal over. It was set up on a plate for him.
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

AndyB wrote:Any international 10 worth his salt would have put that drop goal over. It was set up on a plate for him.
tbh, i wouldnt have backed the house on sexton doing it.
wouldnt have backed against him either mind you, but with ROG i was nearly certain he'd put it over.

i'd back (Welsh) steve jones, but not biggar or hook.
i'd back (Eng) jonny wilkinson, but not toby flood
giteau over quade cooper, etc etc etc

there are certain kickers who you know will kick most that comes their way - morne steyn, dan carter, jonny wilkinson...
others who arent on the same level in kicking stats, but who you would back in a pressure situation - ROG would be one of these.
others who simply havent had the chance in their career yet to show that they can do it... and into this camp i'd throw sexton
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

And Sexton never will get the chance if ROG is brought on for the last 10 of every match. Sooner or later he has got to be trusted to finish out a game.
horslips
Novice

Post by horslips »

How interesting. A very well placed mutt told me recently that O Garas inclusion for Italy had more to do with Kidney not having the b*lls to omit him from the squad. Given that we went out with a front row that read "can,t scrummage", "not match fit", "unproven at International level", and with the best Irish prop spending most of the game working on his tan it seems to fit the story. I would have expected that against a strong Italian pack we would have had 2 props on the bench rather than 2 ( OK 1.5) outhalves. I take his comments as a clear shot across Kidneys bows.
STO SURSUM PRO ULSTERMEN
cheese
Initiate

Post by cheese »

you ve to remember what made OG so special for that drop goal was his kickoff. without an accurat kick off to put them under presre then we would never got the ball back. he is rigt in all he says in i interview. some people just need to accept he is an Irish Legend who has served the team well.
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

What made the drop goal easy was the work put in by the rest of the team to work the ball into the right area of the field and a good pass from Reddan to give him the time he needed.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

ravinghill wrote:Just read this quote from Mr Godlike himself on the BBC ....

While acknowledging Sexton enjoyed an accomplished afternoon, O'Gara believes his influence was key in preventing the Six Nations' greatest upset since Italy joined the championship in 2000.

"At that stage in the game you go at it and don't think too much, you just do your job," said the Munster half-back.

"The ability to do that comes with experience - as a youngster you don't understand that.

"I was told that once but it's when you get in my position - and I've been lucky to steer the Ireland and Munster ship for 10 years - that you understand it.

"Then someone like Jonny comes in and he's really good but to continue the analogy, when the ship hits choppy waters you bring someone in.

"Jonny played well, but I got backed to come on and try to win the game.

"It's important to have two fellas fighting it out because we can offer a lot going forward."

As if I didnt want to punch him enough before ......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_u ... 389039.stm

ROG says that you learn how to close out games through experience. I'd suggest you'd be hard pressed to find any sane human who'd argue this point. ROG says than Sexton still has a bit to learn and still has to gain the experience to deal with high-pressure moments. Again you will struggle to find any sane person to argue. Lastly ROG states that he has been in the pivotal position for both Munster and Ireland with a considerable amount of success which again cannot be argued.

Where exactly is the arrogance in this honest and accurate analysis and self-appraisal?
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Even you wouldn't want to have a drink with him or have him marry your sister, if you want someone to kick a last minute drop goal to win a game, ROG is yer man.

By my reckoning, he has now done this 4 times for Ireland (Wales 2003, Argentina 2004, Wales 2009 and Italy 2011)

Even if you don't like what he says in interviews, at least he speaks his mind. Most other player interviews just repeat the same bland cliches and say nothing.