What position will Jared play?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cracker
Squire

Post by Cracker »

Whats the opinion on the following:-
If Jared plays in his apparent favoured position of full back will D'Arcy move to the wing during the World Cup but be destined to spend the rest of the season warming the bench?
If he plays in the centre as there will be an abundance of talent there who will suffer? Will he play alongside Wallace, Spence, Cave or Whitten or even someone else?
After the World Cup hard decisions will have to be made and I am only glad it will not be me having to do so.
Harold7
Warrior

Re: What position will Jared play?

Post by Harold7 »

It's an indication that we've a strong squad so let's not knock it, from reading other posts here he'll play 15, I thought D'Arcy had a good outing on Friday night past, no doubt spurred on by the arrival of Payne. That's what a strong competitive squad does, it brings the best out of everyone. I haven't been so content with an Ulster squad since...ever really...
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Signed to play fullback on the PAG's say-so. Too many young IQ players vying for a spot in the centres for an NIQ player to play here, even if he was better than what we currently have-which I don't think he necessarily is.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

15 with D'Arcy on the bench gives the option of moving Payne to centre
Decent squad building now
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Cracker wrote:Whats the opinion on the following:-
If Jared plays in his apparent favoured position of full back will D'Arcy move to the wing during the World Cup but be destined to spend the rest of the season warming the bench?
If he plays in the centre as there will be an abundance of talent there who will suffer? Will he play alongside Wallace, Spence, Cave or Whitten or even someone else?
After the World Cup hard decisions will have to be made and I am only glad it will not be me having to do so.
I'll happily make the decisions.
1.Court/McAllister
2.Best
3.Afoa
4.Muller
5.Tuohy
6.Ferris
7.Faloon
8.Wannenburg
9.Pienaar
10.Hump
11.Gilroy
12.Wallace
13.Spence
14.Trimble
15.Payne

16.Brady
17.McAllister/Court
18.Fitzpatrick
19.Stevenson
20.Henry
21.P Marshall
22.L Marshall
23.Cave

Spence to cover wing, Gilroy to cover FB. Luke Marshall to cover 10-12. Cave to cover 12-13. Where do I pick up my pay cheque?
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

Big-al wrote:
Cracker wrote:Whats the opinion on the following:-
I'll happily make the decisions.
1.Court/McAllister
2.Best
3.Afoa
4.Muller
5.Tuohy
6.Ferris
7.Faloon
8.Wannenburg
9.Pienaar
10.Hump
11.Gilroy
12.Wallace
13.Spence
14.Trimble
15.Payne

16.Brady
17.McAllister/Court
18.Fitzpatrick
19.Stevenson
20.Henry
21.P Marshall
22.L Marshall
23.Cave

Spence to cover wing, Gilroy to cover FB. Luke Marshall to cover 10-12. Cave to cover 12-13. Where do I pick up my pay cheque?
Hmmmm if you drop Cave you can have your P45 instead
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

A midfield fo Wallace and Cave is too slow
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I will be happy with a starting 15 and a bench that I see no OMG I hope so and so stays fit. Once we can do that we can start to believe we can seriously go places.

We're not that far off that situation, but in reality we have a lot of 'potential' stars who have not actually walked the walk yet, we have a few very weak spots and we have a few spots were everyone we have is just OK but no more than that.

There WILL be injuries and dips in form like every other season, that we camn be sure of. An "I'm happy with that" starting 15 could be no more than a pipe dream this year if we pick up a few knocks.

Critical positions are cover at 9, cover at 10, cover at props and a genuine openside, Faloon is the closest we have to one.

We have a lot of potential but it would be squeaky bum time if we had to enter a Hieny match with Tiny Marshall, Jackson, Black and Cronin to say the very least.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Big-al wrote:A midfield fo Wallace and Cave is too slow

Cave's got 10 tries ... just imagine how many he would have had if he could go faster than a jog .... :banghead:
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

Maybe that's why Spence is playing 12 (a whole other debate being had elsewhere on the MB of course), it will be interesting to see where Paddy fits into it when he returns from the WC.

Cave is quick enough over 10-20 metres, after that he struggles a bit but then so does BOD who is probably the greatest player Ireland have ever produced (those of an earlier vintage than me can argue the toss for Gibson if they like!!).
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

He really looked slow with that try on Friday night :roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Compare the pace of Cave to any other top 13's in the Hcup.

FFS lads, the way some of you go on, you'd think we're a cert of the Hcup. Cave is a good player, but Wallace isn't the fastest and I think you'd need a bit more pace outside of him for the Hcup matches
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

Big-al wrote:Compare the pace of Cave to any other top 13's in the Hcup.

FFS lads, the way some of you go on, you'd think we're a cert of the Hcup. Cave is a good player, but Wallace isn't the fastest and I think you'd need a bit more pace outside of him for the Hcup matches
Name the other top 13s in the HEC then?

There aren't that many great 13's around at the minute, one 13 that I would take over Cave, (BOD) is slower than Darren anyway!
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Max Evans, Lualala, Marty, Rougerie, Earls, Davies, King and a host of others in France who I can picture but can't get their names
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

BOD has slowed down but I wouldn't say Cave is faster than him. You'd think that by advocating one player over the other people are saying the 'loser' is sh1te or to that effect. In reality there is very little between Wallace, Cave, Spence, Marshall and Whitten which is a good situation to be in. Think it is important that whilst Wallace is away the others all get a shot in their favoured positions. Would be good to see Cave outside Marshall and Spence outside Whitten before the RWC ends IMO.