Ronnie Lamont

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ronnie Lamont

Post by Deraless »

My old man has a story about playing in a Pupils v Teachers rugby match and the teachers had selected their British Lion! You wouldn't get away with it now! He tried to tackle Ronnie who barely broke stride and kept running with my da hanging off on of his legs.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Nonplussed not surprised he was sending boys to Inst. I remember him playing in the schools cup for Inst along with the Gilpins, Foote and Hazlet Mitchel. Jerry Gilpin and even then Ronnie Lamont were the players we feared and for good reason. Unfortunately it was neither of them that did the damage that Wednesday afternoon as Mitchell at fullback a class player who scored from Full back and ended our interest in the schools cup. Another schools cup ended when we met a Campbell side with Ronnie Lamont’s fellow Lions Gibson and Kennedy in the side.
Unfortunately in those days there was only the Schools Cup, no Trophy or Bowl and your season could end with one match.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Deraless wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:58 pm My old man has a story about playing in a Pupils v Teachers rugby match and the teachers had selected their British Lion! You wouldn't get away with it now! He tried to tackle Ronnie who barely broke stride and kept running with my da hanging off on of his legs.
We used to have a school v old boys game on Boxing day. Brutal! Not allowed these days of course.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

rumncoke wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:03 pm Ronnie went to Stan and played for Kings Scholars a junior league side when they owned the pitches at Shaws bridge .

In the late 60s lads coming out from school ceased going to Stan opting for Queens or Universitys on the main land and Scholars ceased to exist couldn't field one team never mind two .

Do you mean Stranmillis College? King's Scholars had plenty of decent players through the years. I think Jos Lapsley played amongst them.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:58 pm
Deraless wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:58 pm My old man has a story about playing in a Pupils v Teachers rugby match and the teachers had selected their British Lion! You wouldn't get away with it now! He tried to tackle Ronnie who barely broke stride and kept running with my da hanging off on of his legs.
We used to have a school v old boys game on Boxing day. Brutal! Not allowed these days of course.
so did we. It was murder, usually just before we broke up for Christmas. I was involved in two serious beatings then it was stopped just after i had finished at school before i had the chance to give a bit back!
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:58 pm
Only played in one of these, as an old boy. Scored a try - one third of my career total.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Now a days the school kids would be too hench. The old boys would be in danger.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

One minute silence before Munster match in memory of and in tribute to Ronnie this afternoon.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right