If we fail to win or pick up a LBP...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

If we fail to win or pick up a LBP...

Post by Snipe Watson »

...will our campaign ultimately be judged a failure?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Re: If we fail to win or pick up a LBP...

Post by damianmcr »

More than likely yes if we dont win the Amlin. If your not first, your last! (Talladega Nights)
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Don't think it's a great time to start a thread like this, Snipe. Surely it's better to make assessments after the dust has settled?
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

Snipe Watson wrote:...will our campaign ultimately be judged a failure?
yes and it's only fair, given our capitulation in welford road (which, truth be told, would be the defining moment)
Tenyarder
Novice

Post by Tenyarder »

Sniper,

A wise man once said "If you dream of beating me, you'd better wake up and apologise"

And so we say to Clermont - "If you dream of beating us, you'd better wake up and apologise"

No more negative vibes!!

SUFTUM
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

aarons wrote:
yes and it's only fair, given our capitulation in welford road (which, truth be told, would be the defining moment)
Complete and utterly bullshit and certainly amongst worst posts in living memory. You should be fecking ashamed of yourself pal, there was absolutely no capitulation at Welford Road. Yes we could & probably should have got something out of the game but I was there and the Tigers fans were crapping themselves to the end and we went there without some top players.

Capitulation is a disgraceful word to describe that performance, if I were a moderator I'd suspend you for that, sadly you are free to post an equal amount of ballix should you so chose. :puker:

Snipe, as for your question, only a fool would consider it a failure. When the pool was drawn I defy anyone on this board to say they genuinely thought that after 5 rounds we would top the pool, that believed we would boot out the Tigers in comprehensive fashion after 5 rounds or that we would be guaranteed more knockout European rugby come the spring.

This pool was hugely more difficult than last years, not being out of European rugby is a great achievement irrespective of what Saturday brings. Wakey fecking wakey guys, smell the coffee, ice the champagne, just in case. :cheers:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Absolutely not a failure whatsoever. Coming second in this group was always going to be a massive ask. Being guaranteed second place before the final round is a very good achievement. Top the group and we're in dreamland.

Expectations in check here folks. We got beaten at home by Treviso not so long ago.

Realistically, I struggle to see how can Ulster perform like they did on Friday night, two weeks running. Call me unambitious, but I'll be happy with a game or two in the Amlin, ecstatic with anything else.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe you should be ashamed of yourself starting this thread, go lock yourself in a dark room until teatime Saturday
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Top the pool = MBE for glock
2nd and HC QF - huge success
2nd and amin - above expectation
3rd woud have been expected
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
TimGibson
Novice

Post by TimGibson »

Rooster wrote:Snipe you should be ashamed of yourself starting this thread, go lock yourself in a dark room until teatime Saturday
+1
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by Snipe Watson » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:54 pm

...will our campaign ultimately be judged a failure?
Yes

Yes, because not only have we failed to build on last seasons success of making the QF, but we have gone backwards to not even getting out of the group. Its all well and good hammering Leicester and beating Clermont at home, but again we will have failed in our quest to win away games in England and France.

and

No . . . because we can still qualify without a win or a LBP providing we get the BP for scoring 4 trys. I can see it now, Big Dan has a Caldwell type day giving away 10 x 3pointers for Clermont but our backs have a stormer scoring 4 trys but Pieenar and IH have nightmares with the boot, so we go down 30-20 :lol:
Mary had a little lamb . . .
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

No is the simple answer. To get into the Amlin given our group is a reasonably pleasing result, to get 19 points is good going. Without a doubt we are better this year than last year when at full strength so there is progress.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Not a failure, an achievement considering the group. Proud of the lads and fully expect to do over Clermont.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
aarons
Lord Chancellor

Post by aarons »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
aarons wrote:
Complete and utterly bullshit and certainly amongst worst posts in living memory. You should be fecking ashamed of yourself pal, there was absolutely no capitulation at Welford Road. Yes we could & probably should have got something out of the game but I was there and the Tigers fans were crapping themselves to the end and we went there without some top players.

Capitulation is a disgraceful word to describe that performance, if I were a moderator I'd suspend you for that, sadly you are free to post an equal amount of ballix should you so chose. :puker:

Snipe, as for your question, only a fool would consider it a failure. When the pool was drawn I defy anyone on this board to say they genuinely thought that after 5 rounds we would top the pool, that believed we would boot out the Tigers in comprehensive fashion after 5 rounds or that we would be guaranteed more knockout European rugby come the spring.

This pool was hugely more difficult than last years, not being out of European rugby is a great achievement irrespective of what Saturday brings. Wakey fecking wakey guys, smell the coffee, ice the champagne, just in case. :cheers:
Zzzzzz. I was there too, on the halfway line on the terrace. Not taking easy kicks = capitulation.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

aarons wrote:Zzzzzz. I was there too, on the halfway line on the terrace. Not taking easy kicks = capitulation.
One missed kick = Capitulation. Branding an entire team as towel chuckers based on one man's error, what are you, an idiot?
arseclown.jpg
arseclown.jpg (2.97 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
Stop embarrassing yourself.

You were near me then so I assume you must have been that arsehole who I was praying would stop talking ballix, shut up & stop dragging the good name of the Ulster supporters through the mud. Explains a lot. :evil:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.