UAFC guide to Twickenham

Get together, pool resources, share information on everything from trips to meeting places and social arrangements.

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: UAFC guide to Twickenham

Post by Neill_M »

Hi,

Any idea of the cost of and how long it would take in a taxi from heathrow direction to the ground? A group of us staying out at one of the hotels there.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Neill_M wrote:Hi,

Any idea of the cost of and how long it would take in a taxi from heathrow direction to the ground? A group of us staying out at one of the hotels there.
It isn't that far - about 5 miles or so, so should only take about 15-20 minutes, however he may need to drop you a bit from the stadium as the roads get clogged up before the game. As a guess, it should cost £10-£15.
RichmondRedHand
Novice

Post by RichmondRedHand »

I think it will cost you closer to £30, to be honest. I take a taxi back to Richmond (slightly further but less than 2 miles more than the ground from Heathrow) and that is usually close to £40. The meter runs surprisingly fast.

Booking a private car company (eg British Airport Transfers) can be marginally cheaper but only by a few quid.
cardweg
Novice

Post by cardweg »

Lots of good info on watering holes around Twickers, but we're looking for somewhere to catch a late lunch about 2.30. We're coming up from Bristol on the train and, with three children (11,12,13), weren't sure about the pubs.
Any restaurants in the neighbourhood that you locals could recommend? Chains like Pizza Express or wagamama or teh like would be fine.
Alternatively, might the restaurant at the Twickenham Marriott be an option, or will it be full of corporate types?
Grateful for any pointers.
CW :-)
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

RichmondRedHand wrote:I think it will cost you closer to £30, to be honest. I take a taxi back to Richmond (slightly further but less than 2 miles more than the ground from Heathrow) and that is usually close to £40. The meter runs surprisingly fast.

Booking a private car company (eg British Airport Transfers) can be marginally cheaper but only by a few quid.
I was assuming a minicab which should be on a fixed price, and going from a hotel near Heathrow rather than Heathrow itself... if they are in a hotel the front desk can advise.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

cardweg wrote:Lots of good info on watering holes around Twickers, but we're looking for somewhere to catch a late lunch about 2.30. We're coming up from Bristol on the train and, with three children (11,12,13), weren't sure about the pubs.
Any restaurants in the neighbourhood that you locals could recommend? Chains like Pizza Express or wagamama or teh like would be fine.
Alternatively, might the restaurant at the Twickenham Marriott be an option, or will it be full of corporate types?
There is a Pizza Express and a Zizzi in Twickenham. Zizzi is a child friendly pizza/pasta chain. In Richmond there are a lot more places - Pizza Express, Zizzi, Wagamama, Giraffe, GBK, Nandos... I'd recommend booking!

I've never been to the hotel by the stadium so don't know what it is like, but I can't think of any other sit-down places nearby, just fast food stalls.
RichmondRedHand
Novice

cardweg wrote:Three children (11,12,13), weren't sure about the pubs.
There a load of kid friendly restaurants on/near Hill Street in Richmond (just over Richmond Bridge). They include Bar Estilo, Nando's, Giraffe, Wagamama, Pizza Express, Cote, and Moomba. A big favourite of ours with the kids is the Boat Restaurant, which is just beside Richmond Bridge. Yes, its on a (small) boat and the Queen's Jubilee barge is moored right beside it. There's also Med Kitchen nearby.

Again, I would recommend making a booking in advance if possible.
RichmondRedHand
Novice

Sorry - Mikerob posted while I was typing and covered most of the same ground
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

mikerob wrote:
cardweg wrote:Lots of good info on watering holes around Twickers, but we're looking for somewhere to catch a late lunch about 2.30. We're coming up from Bristol on the train and, with three children (11,12,13), weren't sure about the pubs.
There is a Pizza Express and a Zizzi in Twickenham. Zizzi is a child friendly pizza/pasta chain. In Richmond there are a lot more places - Pizza Express, Zizzi, Wagamama, Giraffe, GBK, Nandos... I'd recommend booking!

I've never been to the hotel by the stadium so don't know what it is like, but I can't think of any other sit-down places nearby, just fast food stalls.
If you're going to Pizza Express try to pick up one of the London guide maps that most hotels give away free. You'll get 20% discount off the total cost with it.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Surrey Red Hand
Warrior Assassin

Post by Surrey Red Hand »

EVEN BETTER ... if you have a Tastecard it will give you 50% OFF (not on a saturday though) !!
BigHairyMonster
Initiate

Post by BigHairyMonster »

Has anyone else seen a banner advert on the Ulster Rugby site for an ERC Supporters Village? Am I imagining this? I've searched the ERC site but can't find mention of it. I've been to every Heineken final since 1999 and some have had this sort of thing - Stade de France do it quite well cos you can't get proper beer inside the ground.
Any info anyone??
Regards
BHM
Geal'us Dearg a suas - Up the White and Red
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

BigHairyMonster wrote:Has anyone else seen a banner advert on the Ulster Rugby site for an ERC Supporters Village? Am I imagining this? I've searched the ERC site but can't find mention of it. I've been to every Heineken final since 1999 and some have had this sort of thing - Stade de France do it quite well cos you can't get proper beer inside the ground.
Any info anyone??
Regards
BHM
I believe there will be a supporters village in one of the Twickenham stadium car parks but as you say, there is nothing on the ERC website about it yet.

best keep an eye on the ERC website for updates, I think.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

The West Car Park is normally the place to be pre-game IIRC. Weather permitting, I was thinking of a small carry-out from the Tesco next door and a pleasant afternoon talking rugby/sihte to all and sundry before going into the stadium.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Big Nose
Novice

Post by Big Nose »

mikerob wrote:
BigHairyMonster wrote:Has anyone else seen a banner advert on the Ulster Rugby site for an ERC Supporters Village? Am I imagining this? I've searched the ERC site but can't find mention of it. I've been to every Heineken final since 1999 and some have had this sort of thing - Stade de France do it quite well cos you can't get proper beer inside the ground.
Any info anyone??
Regards
BHM
I believe there will be a supporters village in one of the Twickenham stadium car parks but as you say, there is nothing on the ERC website about it yet.

best keep an eye on the ERC website for updates, I think.
URSC has a bit of info..
http://ursc.co/?p=4213
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Another one for Mikerob (or anyone else who knows London).

Our current plan to to get out early to Twickenham ie getting on train at Waterloo about 12noon and going straight to Twickenham for a pint or two in a pub and then into "village" near ground by 3pm at latest. None of this getting off at Richmond stuff we first thought of.

So, meeting up with our lot who are coming from various parts of London, should we either
A- just arrange to meet at a bar inside Waterloo Station (how many bars are there inside the station?) OR
B- are there any decent pubs within say 200 yards of Waterloo that would be a good rendevous point?

Cheers

ps is drinking tins of beer on the train ok ?
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh