What the Papers Say 2012/2013

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Mac
Chancellor to the King

Re: What the Papers Say 2012-13

Post by Mac »

Ian Evans hearing Ospreys statement.
Ian Evans appeared today before an independent RaboDirect PRO12 Disciplinary Committee in Edinburgh, having been sent off by the referee in the match against Benetton Treviso last Friday after receiving two yellow cards in the first half of the match.
The Disciplinary Committee, chaired by John Kirk (Scotland), along with Paul Minto (Scotland) and Dr Barry O'Driscoll (Ireland), having looked at the incidents and listened to the player's explanations, considered that the sending off was not a sufficient sanction in itself but, rather than issue a suspension, formally reprimanded Ian Evans for the second incident, a dangerous tackle, and warned him as to his future conduct.
http://www.ospreysrugby.com/news/5567.php
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Mac wrote:Ian Evans hearing Ospreys statement.
Ian Evans appeared today before an independent RaboDirect PRO12 Disciplinary Committee in Edinburgh, having been sent off by the referee in the match against Benetton Treviso last Friday after receiving two yellow cards in the first half of the match.
The Disciplinary Committee, chaired by John Kirk (Scotland), along with Paul Minto (Scotland) and Dr Barry O'Driscoll (Ireland), having looked at the incidents and listened to the player's explanations, considered that the sending off was not a sufficient sanction in itself but, rather than issue a suspension, formally reprimanded Ian Evans for the second incident, a dangerous tackle, and warned him as to his future conduct.
So it was not sufficient sanction to send him off so they gave him a bollocking :scratch:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Well let’s face it, he is a very naughty boy...........
bp1976
Novice

Post by bp1976 »

Snipe Watson wrote:Well let’s face it, he is a very naughty boy...........
Aye a slap on the wrist &............don't let us see you back here again.
What sort of essage does this send out to the club man, kids,,,,,,,
Are you really surprised as this result?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bp1976 wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:Well let’s face it, he is a very naughty boy...........
Aye a slap on the wrist &............don't let us see you back here again.
What sort of essage does this send out to the club man, kids,,,,,,,
Are you really surprised as this result?
I am, thought they would just say that the red was enough, either of the 2 incidents were not red on their own
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

Rooster wrote:
Mac wrote:Ian Evans hearing Ospreys statement.
So it was not sufficient sanction to send him off so they gave him a bollocking :scratch:
I think they mean it was not enough to just send him off but they didn't want to suspend him either.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
bp1976
Novice

Post by bp1976 »

Like I said, slap on the wrists and be of with ye.
Pointless the whole thing really.
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Fri 7th Sept 2012
Better late than never I suppose.

Tom wants his shirt back
(but not his old one that I'm sitting here in!!)
Court lays down marker to pretenders to throne

With Tom Court being a centurion, he has seen a battle or two in his years of service, the last six of which have been fought in the colours of Ulster.

As a prop forward, he has the scars to prove it, too.

And now, having just made his 100th appearance for the province, he is preparing for another scrap, this one with Callum Black and any other loose-head with designs on the number one shirt.

Court has fought long and hard for occupancy, overcoming all opposition and numerous setbacks in the process.

When he arrived from Queensland Reds in the summer of 2006, the big Irish-qualified Australian was a tight-head. When he realised that the number three jersey wasn’t available, he adapted, instead learning the art of loose-head play and establishing himself there instead.

By virtue of his rarely-found ability to play either side of the hooker and cover both positions he became an important Ireland squad member, with 29 international caps confirming his status.

On Friday night, minutes after completing his Ulster ‘ton’, Court was typically level-headed, focused and modest about himself and his career.

“It has been a hard old road but it has paid off,” said the prop who replaced Black for the final quarter of the match against Glasgow.

“I got on tonight so I was able to contribute to the win. That’s a good start to the season so now it’s just a matter of working on myself, contributing to the team and seeing where that takes us.”

As is his wont, he down-played his latest achievement in having racked up 100 Ulster appearances. He did, however, admit to having been moved by the rousing reception the 8,108-strong Ravenhill crowd gave him when he entered the fray for his first outing since suffering a serious thumb injury in the May 19 Heineken Cup final defeat by Leinster at Twickenham.

“Sometimes when there’s a lot of world-class players like Tommy (Bowe) and Stevie (Ferris) and Rory (Best) and Ruan (Pienaar) I guess you maybe forget that people still realise you’re out there doing the job,” he said.

“For me it’s just a matter of continuing to try to improve by working on myself.”

Sportingly highlighting the intense pressure now coming from his latest rival, Court continued: “That’s what I have to do because Callum has had a brilliant close season this year. He has gone really well in taking his chance.

“Now it’s up to me to throw it back at him, show what I can do and hopefully take my spot back.”

Asked if this is the strongest Ulster squad since he enlisted, his enthusiasm on that count was obvious. He made no attempt to mask his delight and he paid tribute to those who have built so promising a panel.

“Depth-wise and in terms of consistency, it is the best in my time here,” he said. “David (Humphreys) and Mark (Anscombe) have done a great job building it, not only through the recruitment but also by giving the young guys the confidence and courage to back themselves, play and throw it around a bit.”

Personally, he is happy to be getting back in the groove following his time out. As with most professional sportsmen and women, breaks from the day-in, day-out routine of keeping themselves in shape, mentally as well as physically, is altogether alien.

“It has been a long old few weeks dealing with family stuff and things,” is his description of that time out. “It’s good just to finish that all off, put it behind us, get back, get playing again and into a bit of a routine with the boys.”

Fitness — in terms of his legs and lungs being ready — is not an issue. At this point what he needs is game-time.

“In terms of pre-season stuff, fitness-wise I’ve probably done as much as I could do before I need to starting playing games,” he explained. “For props — when it comes to scrum fitness and rucking and mauling — you just can’t replicate that by playing ‘touch’ or running shuttles. You really need to be playing.

“Usually, if I can get a good run of games leading into November then I’m beginning to hit my straps by the start of the Autumn Internationals,” he said.

If Callum Black wants that Ulster shirt he had better be ready for a very hard fight.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 07545.html

Great thing that we are seeing much greater competition for all positions.
Bodes well.
Image Image
dw7
Novice

Post by dw7 »

Mac wrote:6th Sept contd

Ruan relishing Bok start
Ruan Pienaar is relishing his recall to South Africa’s starting XV and is looking forward to matching his skills against Australia’s Will Genia when the two teams clash in a Rugby Championship match in Perth on Saturday.

“I’m excited because it’s been a while since I started a Test at nine. I have had a few games off the bench but you need a different mindset but I’m really looking forward to the chance to start a Test,” he said.

The 28-year-old Pienaar will by playing in his 57th Test on Saturday which makes him the third most experienced member of the team behind Jean de Villiers and Bryan Habana.
Full story
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyCha ... t-20120906

Great to see RP get his chance.
Pienaar is a gentleman scrum half, much better passer / kicker & will give SA more composure.
The key to the effective SA forward ball carrying is 'To keep the engines running'.
In tests at ruck time Pienaar is slower to reach & react than Hougaard. If he drops a gear in work ethic or lets the SA tempo drop It will hamper their yardage.

Looking forward to seeing the new boys -
DV8. Before his injury this year Vermeulen was outperforming Spies in S15. The guy is a cannibal!
Goosen on the bench. A playmaking SA Flyhalf!! All the talent to leapfrog Lambie.
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Fri 7th Sept contd

More to come from Luke.
Marshall has more to offer Ulster
Centre Luke Marshall was one of Ulster’s stand out performers in the pre season games and he carried that form into the RaboDirect Pro12 with another solid outing in last week’s win against Glasgow.
“It was great even though the performance wasn’t totally up to scratch. It was good to get the win and I suppose it was reasonably comfortable apart from the last 10 minutes and it is something to build on for the Ospreys,” he said.
“It’s going to be tough but hopefully we can get the performance and the result over there.”
In previous years fringe players have played in warm-up games but haven’t featured when the real action has started but coach Mark Anscombe kept faith with the players that won two and drew one game in pre-season.
“I think it was basically the same team that played in the Newcastle game. We went into the first competitive game and looked pretty comfortable so it was great and Mark has kept his word,” Marshall added.
Ulster missed three kicks at goal which would have made the margin of victory more comfortable but Marshall, who regularly kicks for Ballymena in the All Ireland League, admits he is in no rush to take over kicking duties.
“I’ll see how Niall goes this week and I won’t be putting my hand up just yet. I’ll maybe wait a couple of weeks,” he said.
I’m still practicing goal kicking and I kicked a lot last year for Ballymena. I’ll keep kicking in training and if I get an opportunity I can put my hand up and it is another string to my bow.”
Darren Cave returned to action last week and Andrew Trimble is available for the trip to the Ospreys but as the big names come back it makes Marshall more determined to hold onto the shirt.
“I think it inspires the young guys more because we have got nothing to lose. They are the big names coming back and would be expected to go straight back in but if we’re playing well and putting our hands up Mark is not afraid to select on form.”
Marshall is hoping it will be third time lucky as he returns to the Liberty Stadium.
“I’ve played there twice before, I’ve played there the last two seasons and it’s a nice pitch. It’s a big stadium so it doesn’t fill up very well so it’s quite an odd atmosphere but it’s a good place to play,” he said.
“It’s not been a good ground for us. I think we have only had one win over there in the last four years and I can actually remember watching it on television, but I think we are a different team with a different mentality this year. There is a lot more confidence and I don’t think there is any reason why we can’t go over there expecting a win.”
He may not be fit enough to face his former club but Tommy Bowe has been passing on his knowledge of the Ospreys to his new team-mates.
“We had a backs meeting on Tuesday and Tommy basically took it and had some inside information which I’m sure the Ospreys won’t be too happy about but we’re definitely going to use it,” Marshall revealed.
The Ospreys suffered a shock defeat at Treviso last week but Marshall doesn’t know if that makes it a good time to play them or whether Ulster will face a backlash.
“Having lost last week we could go into the game thinking they are vulnerable and if Treviso can beat them why can’t we,” he said.
“The other side is they are a good team and that lost last week will have hurt them so I think we have got to expect a tough test.”
Marshall looks set to keep his starting role at inside centre but Cave is putting pressure on Chris Farrell for the number 13 shirt but the Ballymena man doesn’t care which one partners him.
“Darren is obviously a lot more experienced and in defence he would probably bit a bit more organised and he also has very good vision in attack, there is stuff Chris is very good at as well like his offloading capabilities and he is a good passer.”
“They are both different types of player but both are quite easy to play with as well and there are two good players but as long as I am getting a start I’ll be happy.”
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-4232206
Image Image
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Basically Evans second yellow should have been a red it was reckless and dangerous --- that said it was a reaction foul he got wrong footed and stuck the hand/arm up and the guy went into it full pelt. Its happened before and will happen again with no malice aforethought in it.

But a red card not a yellow -- Because it was reactionary -- in fairness the card and warning should be sufficient punishment at this time --- a repeat offence in the near future could result in something more substantial.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Sat 8th Sept 2012
Match Day

With the papers it's usually a famine or a feast
......today a feast.

Tele

Luke in the spotlight.
Marshall has become a serious threat in the scrap for the number 12 berth and Wallace is mindful of the new coach’s promise to select players based on current form rather than past performances. If Anscombe is true to his word, he will not be omitting in-form youngsters in order to accommodate somebody else simply because they are older and happen to have a reputation.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 08064.html

Jonny.....the quiet man!
As an assistant coach with defensive responsibilities, a certain amount of frustration simply comes with the territory.

Take last Friday night’s opening PRO12 League win over Glasgow which for Jonny Bell was all going pretty well until with just over 10 minutes to go former Ulster player Tommy Seymour suddenly found himself in open country and the next thing he was over the line.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 08069.html

Rob .......wears that (pink) jersey.
He arrived as Ulster’s fourth hooker, but having received the nod to start ahead of Nigel Brady and Niall Annett in the game against Glasgow Warriors, now new boy Rob Herring has been given the thumbs up for the trip to Swansea, too.

And now he wants to press on in order to ensure that when Rory Best returns, the Irish hooker’s restoration to the middle of the Ulster front row is no foregone conclusion.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 08074.html

Indo
Marshall has indicated that ex-Ospreys wing Tommy Bowe has given his Ulster team-mates a unique insight to the league champions that could pile the agony on a Welsh side still reeling from their defeat in Treviso.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/R ... 23267.html

Times
“Over the next few weeks well keep integrating players back into the team and that will allow us to keep developing and growing our game,” said Mark Anscombe.

“It’s early days and we’ve just got to keep our feet on the ground and know where we’re at.

This performance will tell more about where they are at under the new regime
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/spo ... 38475.html

AND....the Flip Side
Beck told: go out and be the boss

ASHLEY Beck will face Ulster in Swansea tonight (6.30) with the Ospreys' coaches telling him it's time to boss games for the full 80 minutes.
The most creative centre in Wales underlined his class in Treviso last week by making light of appalling conditions to repeatedly trouble the home defence.
The regions' backs beat 20 defenders between them, with Beck gliding past four on his own and also making one clean break.
But the Ospreys believe he has the ability to do even more.
http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Beck- ... story.html
Last edited by Mac on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Thanks Mac. Loved the formula you've used in that last post with the keynotes and then the link so you can follow up what you are interested in. Fast becoming one of the best threads on here. :thumleft:

Suppose its future will depend on others cutting and pasting and linking as well. :salut:
Appreciate the input and pointers LK. From my end I'll attempt to keep it going on a daily basis
as much as I can, except when work takes me away. Suppose what I'm looking for is others to use
the thread also and post if they find something of interest or from left field- relating to all people
/ matters relating to or associated with UR.
:red:
Image Image
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

A great thread,worth having it pinned at the top.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

bootlaced wrote:A great thread,worth having it pinned at the top.
Yes & No

If it stays current (which I think it will :salut: ), it will stay at or near the top anyway

If it fails to stay current, it deserves to drop away.

I suspect it will still be at the top come season's end, and can then be replaced by a new one next season.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right