Optimism vs Anxiety in No-Holds-Barred Pre-Season Punch-up!!

Moderator: Moderators

UAFC Editor
Novice

Optimism vs Anxiety in No-Holds-Barred Pre-Season Punch-up!!

Post by UAFC Editor »

[tag=image]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_-b7O2ybUBdw/T ... Bhappy.jpg[/tag][tag=content]Deckard lets the voices in his head have a go at writing an article!!

There used to be a comic strip that I read when I was a young ‘un, in which the main character went around with a miniature angelic version of himself on one shoulder, and a demonic version on the other, with each one trying to influence him to do good/bad things, and usually ending up with them having a scrap. With kick-off of the new rugby season a mere day away, I feel similarly in the middle of conflicting thoughts or emotions as to how Ulster will fare – so here goes, I’m giving the two little homunculi their heads, first the little gloomy-faced beggar to make the case for apprehension, then the cheery, beaming little blighter to make the case for optimism.

Reasons to be Apprehensive
  • Squad depth – purely numerically, our squad is comparable in size to our peers, but it is relatively callow. While there are areas of good strength in depth (front row, centre) there are other areas where we are only an international call-up or injury away from reliance on some reasonably untested young players – notably half-back (see next point) and openside. Even if some of our youngsters have made promising starts to their careers, and come with good notes from Irish age-grade teams, do we really have the player resources to challenge on two fronts this season?
  • Out-half – following on from the previous point, one of the areas in question, where Ulster look fairly thinly resourced is at 10, arguably the most important position on the pitch. Yes Jackson looks like an exciting prospect, and a very composed character for such a young man, but there’s no doubt that his finish to last season did not quite go to plan. By way of alternative we have O’Connor; while I think he is unfairly under-rated by Ulster fans, it is still fair to say that he has yet to definitively establish himself at the top level. If either of these guys don’t step up, we’re looking at Pienaar moving out to 10, where he is clearly less comfortable and less effective. A lot of pressure then, on some young shoulders.
  • Unproven Head Coach – Mark Anscombe’s appointment came as a surprise to everybody. I’ll confess I had to Google him to find out who he even was! With no eye-catching track record at a high level to speak of, we have to hope that Humphreys & Co have done their diligence properly during the selection process, and that he is indeed the man to up Ulster’s game this season.
Reasons to be Excited
  • Squad depth – right back at you, gloom-monger! I think that the incoming players this season are a good crop – notably top-notch returning locals Bowe and Wilson, Williams who may be an inspired signing, in spite of my early misgivings, as well as the fit-again Payne. The other incoming players are unknown quantities, but let’s not forget that our current internationals and NIQs are absolutely top-notch, and we have an excellent bunch of youngsters bubbling under (see next). Yes, if we’re particularly blighted by injuries, it will be hard work, that is true of any team, and generally we have very good options in most areas of the squad.
  • Talented youngsters – following on from the previous point, how can an Ulster fan fail to be excited by the current crop of young players?? Jackson, Marshall, Henderson, Farrell, Nelson, Annett, aged between 19 and 21, all recent stand-out players (and most of them leaders) at international age-grade level, and at least the first five could well have big seasons this year. And it’s easy to forget that Gilroy is just 21, and Spence just 22, and Macklin and O’Connor just 23, because they seem to have been around the first team for so long. Rob Herring is just 22 and looks like an interesting prospect, Michael Heaney (21) has taken his chance with both hands and forced his way into the first matchday squad with some sound outings in pre-season, and hopefully Chris Cochrane (23) can have a season without recurrence of the injuries which have held him back. Instead of worrying about whether they’ll make mistakes, lack experience etc. etc., which seems to be the default setting for Ulster fans – why not revel in it, and get a kick out of the thought of seeing what these cracking young players can bring?? Even if they have to take a few knocks this season, I think that they are good enough, and tough enough, to cope with it, and just think what our squad will be like when this bulge of players hits their mid-twenties!!
  • Coaching ticket – while Anscombe is unproven at this level, what are the hallmarks of New Zealand rugby? An uncompromising focus on basic skills, a philosophy of heads-up, play-what’s-in-front-of-you rugby, and a complete openness to put faith in young players – arguably exactly what Ulster needs to kick things up a gear from last season. He certainly made the right noises at his appearance at the URSC event soon after his arrival. As for his assistants, on the basis of our defence in the second half of last year, Jonny Bell is more than earning his keep, and it will be interesting to see what Doak could get out of our backs under a head coach who favours a less conservative approach than McLaughlin.
  • Sound pre-season – while of course nobody should read too much into pre-season, Ulster have had a quietly impressive one. Shorn of the Irish players, Pienaar and the injured Wilson and McAllister, Ulster have nonetheless come up trumps with a first-ever win away in France, an impressive draw against a strong Leicester side and an admittedly scrappy win against Newcastle – looking south, Munster managed just one win against Championship side Bristol, book-ended by two massive hockeyings from Pro D2 side La Rochelle and at home against London Irish, while even a shadow Leinster XV copped a big beating away to the Saints.
And the Winner Is...
...the little smiley fecker!!

It’s hard to know what is really going on in a camp, what the mood is like etc. No doubt some players will be feeling great, some not so much, such is life, and we have yet to deal with the reintegration of the Irish and injured players etc – but generally it feels like Ravenhill is a more positive-feeling, ambitious, quietly confident place these days, more so than I can remember for some time. This could be just what I want to believe, it’s certainly not based on much by way of hard evidence, but I feel very excited about this season – with a fair wind this could be Ulster’s breakthrough season back to the top table in Europe, with a young and exciting group...

SUFTUM!! :red:[/tag]