B&I Lions 2013 Thread

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

B&I Lions 2013 Thread

Post by breakdown »

Thought it might be a better idea to create a thread to keep everything Lions related in one place, albeit a little late, instead of separate match threads (sorry Ruck :lol:)

Anyway, to get the ball rolling, two wins from two, and pretty comprehensive wins, despite being against weakened opposition, but already there are plenty of selection headaches, in my opinion POC, Phillips and Sexton are the only guarenteed starters, the rest still have everthing to play for. Centres, back row and wings have the biggest selection problems in my opinion, in a good way of course.

Despite only being two games in already there are some injury worries, Corbisero on standby for Healy and Kearney may be getting replaced too, and of course tour captain Warburton is still injured, but seemingly recovering well.

Up next for the Lions are the Queensland Reds, without a doubt the toughest opponent the team will have faced up to now, despite them not having their Oz contingent, if i'm correct. Given that more less the whole squad have had a run out, I would say that the team will be something like this:

1. Jenkins
2. Hibbard
3. Jones
4. POC
5. Evans
6. Lydiate
7. SOB
8. Falatau

9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. Maitland
12. Roberts
13. Tuilagi
14. North
15. Hogg

16. Best
17. Vunipola
18. Cole
19. Gray
20. Tipuric
21. Phillips
22. Sexton
23. Bowe

Team a lot harder to predict than last time since it was more less everyone that didnt feature for against the Baa-Baa's, but thats my pick for the team. Sexton really does need wrapped in cotton wool as we have no experienced 10 outside him (the sooner Wilkinson arrives the better), Farrell to start this game, then maybe move to 12 as/if Sexton comes on to try some more combinations.

Back row of SOB/Lydiate and Falatau could either be very good or a disaster, but it would be interesting to see either way.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Re: B&I Lions 2013 Thread

Post by ruckover »

Good idea BD, I was about to start a Reds thread but I supposed you've saved me the hassle :lol:

Warburton, Jenkins, Parling and both Youngs will all start based on what Sky have been saying simply due to the fact that none of them have started a match yet. Kearney still injured. The rest of the team will be the one that played against the Barbarians I think as part of rest and rotate along with giving everybody a chance.

15. S Hogg, 14. S Maitland, 13. J Davies, 12. J Roberts, 11. A Cuthbert, 10. O Farrell, 9. B Youngs; 1. G Jenkins, 2. T Youngs, 3. M Stevens, 4. G Parling, 5. P O'Connell, 6. D Lydiate, 7. S Warburton (c), 8. T Faletau.

16. R Hibbard, 17. M Stevens, 18. D Cole, 19. R Gray, 20. J Tipuric, 21. M Phillips, 22. J Sexton, 23. L Halfpenny.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

I see that Ed O'Donoghue, formerly of this parish, is playing for QLD against the Lions.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

QUEENSLAND REDS TEAM TO PLAY THE B&I LIONS
15. Ben Lucas
14. Rod Davies
13. Ben Tapuai
12. Anthony Fainga’a
11. Luke Morahan
10. Quade Cooper
9. Nick Frisby

1. Ben Daley
2. James Hanson
3. Greg Holmes
4. Adam Wallace-Harrison
5. Ed O’Donoghue
6. Ed Quirk
7. Beau Robinson
8. Jake Schatz.

Replacements
16. Albert Anae
17. Sam Denny
18. Jono Owen
19. Radike Samo
20. Jarrad Butler
21. Jono Lance
22. Michael Harris
23. Dom Shipperley.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Should be a good game, although slightly disappointed that it seems Cooper has been left out of the Oz squad. Rod Davies is probably their most dangerous outside back in that team
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Given the lack of Ulstermen lined up for this squad I will be SUFTUMing for our old boy Ed

SUFTUM
Come on Queensland Reds
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Team named:

1. Jenkins
2. Youngs
3. Stevens
4. Gray
5. Parling
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton (c)
8. Falatau

9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. Bowe
12. Davies
13. Tuilagi
14. Cuthburt
15. Hogg

16. Hibbard
17. Vunipola
18. Jones
19. O'Connell
20. Tipuric
21. Murray
22. Sexton
23. North

Interesting selection with Davies at 12, back row playing will probably be the test back row despite not being the best available players. Good to see Hogg given another chance, really could come out a lot better as a result of the your, very promising player
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

For me this has been the weakest Lions selection to date, probably as it lacks some of the experience the other teams had and apart from the back row and half backs there is no other combinations or partnerships that have played together before to any extent.
It got a midweek team look about it apart from 3 or 4 players.
It is one of those hit and hope selections but I think the team against the Warratahs on Saturday week will be the one with test places in mind
I will anticipate you probably will see some of these players double up next Tuesday against the heelers for that reason.

As for the reds they look strong selecting 9 internationals with Cooper out to prove a point.
Guininely worried about this one but I think Gatland is as well that accounts for the strong bench selected which I suspect he will need.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Welsh backrow unit should be enough to secure the win.

If Farrell is gash again he may pretend to roll his ankle and get Jonny out there.
Scholar
Initiate

Post by Scholar »

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (190.77 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
tommyblue
Novice

Post by tommyblue »

Just watching a re run of sa tests in 97. Big Jeremy Davidson letting mark Andrews know who's boss. Super stuff!!
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Saw that and forgot how good JD was on that tour.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

ColinM wrote:
If Farrell is gash again he may pretend to roll his ankle and get Jonny out there.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22810095 - Wilko needs surgery

Time to wrap Sexton up in cotton wool!

I don't think Farrell was gash Colin, he was a 21 year old making his Lions debut in a pivotal position. His progression in every other team jersey he has pulled on has been rapid, let him bed.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Cian Healy ruled out of rest of tour and flies home. Ryan Grant called up as cover.

Gethin Jenkins ruled out of game vs Queensland Reds tomorrow and is replaced by Mako Vunipola. Dan Cole called up to bench.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Unfortunately we cant Uno9 as we have only taken two fly halves which is an obvious mistake.
If Kearney is out Hook or Madigan must be called up to take the pressure off these two and I agree with your comments on Farrell.

Just watching the Brumbies and rebels sides competing now which will be similar to the sides the lions will be facing with their Wallabies missing.
Most striking obvious difference is the lack of power and size that they have in the backs with no real line breakers.
Think Tuilagi, Phillips, Roberts, North, Cuthbert and they have nothing like them.

I appreciate that the international team have more power but I think the point still stands.
Our guys are all 17-18 stones whereas the Aussies are around 14-15 but rely on their skills.
However blended with the subtle skills of BOD, Hogg, and Sexton its really looking a potential lethal mix and an element that the Welsh team possibly lack to make them a fuller package.
Get a forward platform and I cant wait to see what they can do.