Team for Montpellier

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Team for Montpellier

Post by Snipe Watson »

Not many changes
1. Court
2. Herring
3. Afoa
4. Muller
5. Tuohy
6. Henderson
7. Henry
8. Diack
9. Pienaar
10. Jackson
11. Gilroy
12. Marshall
13. Cave
14. Trimble
15. Payne

If Rory is fit, he starts.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Team for Montpellier

Post by Russ »

I want bench impact

that means,

Afoa
Henderson
FNW
Marshall
Allen
Bowe if fit

on the bench

A big last 30 will tie up the bonus point
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Best and Bowe on the bench
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Interesting selection for this one. As baggypants highlighted a few weeks ago, there is an option to leave a bit in the tank for the following week and I wouldn't discount Maaark pulling a surprise or two.

I think Afoa needs gametime so he'll start but he may go with Court off the bench to keep him perky for next week. Likewise even if Muller comes back he might slot henderson in for either Dan or Diack. Williams could start.

Hard to know, on the one hand it would be nice to get the team playing together and on the other, it would be nice to keep legs fresh for the following week. Certainly Wilson and Diack could do with a break.

Another 6/2 bench could be on the cards but possibly a tad risky for a HEC game. Be interesting to see what kind of side the french send over...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Court
Herring
Afoa
Muller
Tuohy
Diack
Henry
Williams
Pienaar
Jackson
Gilroy
Marshall
Cave
Trimble
Payne

Black
Best
Fitzpatrick
Henderson
Wilson/Doyle
Marshall
Allen
Bowe

Depends on a few players coming back and someone mentioned Roger might have a niggle.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Id be tempted to start Black instead of Court. He's been much better than Tom recently
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

pip14 wrote:Id be tempted to start Black instead of Court. He's been much better than Tom recently
He was walked backwards vs Zebre and Leinster while Tom was in relative control vs Archer last night. Angry Tom for me.

I would make one change with Williams coming in for Wilson who still seems to be carrying a knock. I think Best being fit for Leicester is more important than next week since Montpellier are very likely to send over a second string XV so I'd have him on the bench, while the same applies to Muller. 25-30 mins off the bench for both should be enough to have them raring to go again for the Tiggers. I will live in the hope that Bowe makes it and include him on my bench :lol:

Court Herring Afoa
Henderson Tuohy
Diack Williams Henry
Pienaar Jackson
L Marshall Cave
Gilroy Payne Trimble

Best Black Fitzpatrick Muller Wilson P Marshall Allen Bowe
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

No holding back though, this game is just as important as Leicester as far as qualification goes. I don't agree with Toby Flood very often, but he is right - you never know what to expect from the French. We can only assume they will send over the seconds, but until Thursday lunch time we don't know for sure.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Doesn't matter a tuppenny ticket (that's two old pence Ruckie :thumright: ) what 15 Montpellier send over. If we start fast they will lose interest very quickly. The only thing we don't need is a slow start that gets them interested in the game.
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Ruck, black was the driving force for the penalty in the scrum in the corner with 2 minutes to go. I guarantee Court would have went down. Court has been and is a solid player but he won't be missed when he leaves.

What Montpellier team are likely to feature?
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Keep an eye on the weather. We want a clear dry night!
Last edited by Jackie Brown on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

By my reckoning, a 4 point win on Friday will guarantee us a QF place barring:
Toulouse and Saracens both getting a TBP + the loser a LBP in their head to head, and both of them securing 5 points in their other fixture plus
Cardiff winning in Toulon with a TBP and Toulon getting a TBP + a LBP and both of them securing 5 points in their other fixture.

Even then, it would go down to trys scored, as all 3 runners up would have 22 pts.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

Montpelier are not a typical French side, they have a pretty strong squad and rotate a lot so there seconds are not overly weak. They and the whole squad is bought into the offloading game they play.

We play our strongest team and go at them early. They might let off but they will keep playing, they won't go into their shells, don't be surprised if we we went 25-0 up that they will still be running and offloading all match.

We go all out for bonus point win they use the bench, you never known treviso could do us a favour.

Court
Herring
Afoa
Muller
Touhy
Diack
Henry
Williams (maybe Wilson but he seems to be carrying a knock)
Pienar
Jackson
Gilroy
Marshal
Cave
Trimble
Payne

Black
Best if fit
Fitzpatrick
Henderson
Wilson (or Stevenson and let Henderson cover back row)
Marshal
Allen
Bowe if fit, Andrews if not
Why? Why not?
Ithryn
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Ithryn »

As an aside Montpelier v Brice is on bt sport tonight, same time as the leinster Connacht match unfortunately though
Why? Why not?
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Ithryn wrote:Montpelier are not a typical French side, they have a pretty strong squad and rotate a lot so there seconds are not overly weak. They and the whole squad is bought into the offloading game they play.

We play our strongest team and go at them early. They might let off but they will keep playing, they won't go into their shells, don't be surprised if we we went 25-0 up that they will still be running and offloading all match.

We go all out for bonus point win they use the bench, you never known treviso could do us a favour.

Court
Herring
Afoa
Muller
Touhy
Diack
Henry
Williams (maybe Wilson but he seems to be carrying a knock)
Pienar
Jackson
Gilroy
Marshal
Cave
Trimble
Payne

Black
Best if fit
Fitzpatrick
Henderson
Wilson (or Stevenson and let Henderson cover back row)
Marshal
Allen
Bowe if fit, Andrews if not

I agree with ur analysis of Montpellier. They love to throw the ball about and are a very dangerous side. Need to be on the ball but if the weather is favorable you'd hope a TBP is possible but I'll take the win.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'