So . . . who?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

So . . . who?

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Mark McCall?
Matt Sexton?
Nick Mallett?
Delia Smith?

Personally, I've always liked Maaaaak. >minigun
It's the hope that kills you.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: So . . . who?

Post by kingofthehill »

Paddy Wallace but I can see it being Clarke.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Mr Frosty
Initiate

Post by Mr Frosty »

If it is Clarke God help Ulster. He has been a failure in the academy alienating many and producing tom kite all compared to other academys (dont someone quote a few players to say who have come through despite him). If Clarke becomes DoR i wont stop supporting Ulster but my believe will drop dramatically. If that's our best option i would rather do without the position of DoR :fleg:
Till youve tasted Frosty's you don't know jack
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

kingofthehill wrote:Paddy Wallace but I can see it being Clarke.

Paddy Wallace is who you want, KOTH, or who you think?
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

rorybestsbigbaldnoggin wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Paddy Wallace but I can see it being Clarke.

Paddy Wallace is who you want, KOTH, or who you think?
I want someone who will put Ulster rugby first.

What does a DOR actually do?
Sign NIQs and renew contracts,is that it?
Next year we can't sign any NIQs so it's a case of keeping players like TB,AAT,DC,CG and a few others in a white shirt.
Who better to do that than someone who they respect and can trust like Paddy Wallace.

Am I being naive?
The King is dead. Long live the King.
therealspratt
Warrior Chief

Post by therealspratt »

I like the idea of Paddy, there's certainly a sound enough head on those shoulders. I think they might also look at a couple of other former players who have done well business wise after their playing days at least for an interim role.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Your logic seems pretty spot on KOTH.

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

damianmcr wrote:Your logic seems pretty spot on KOTH.
Yes it does, so not Paddy then :roll: I've often wondered what the DOR workload involves other than signings and contracts, seems like a pretty decent number with little or no downside to it.

If Anscombe was out the door I'd suggest no real need for a DOR, in all of this he remains my big worry. What damage could he do unchecked? I don't trust him to sit the right way round on a bog seat.

I'm interested to see Mr Frosty's assessment of Clarke at the Academy. It seems completely at odds with what I'm told about that part of UR which was on the road to nowhere under its previous management. I also know several who are of the opinion that everything Clarke touches turns to crap however, so wait and see.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Mr Frosty wrote:If it is Clarke God help Ulster. He has been a failure in the academy alienating many and producing tom kite all compared to other academys (dont someone quote a few players to say who have come through despite him). If Clarke becomes DoR i wont stop supporting Ulster but my believe will drop dramatically. If that's our best option i would rather do without the position of DoR :fleg:
Really, do tell us more.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

I quite like Paddy , but really don't see him in a DOR role, what we need is a ruthless Cnut , who can run the rugby side of the organisation, Someone who can keep people on their toes, someone who knows that UR really needs a shake up. Humph looked after his clique, and for that got undying loyalty, now the king on the hill ( sorry KOTH) is gone , things could really go tîts up, Cowboy is not good enough to fill that void and should be shown the door, but is there people there now, with the bálls to make that decision, I do not really think so. Interesting days ahead.

Let's get rid of Cowboy, don't appoint a DOR, we do not need one( any one remember the job being advertised or announced or any other candidates, nope , nether do I as it was a power grab) get aworld class coach with his own staff .god we really are saving money this summer.

By the way , McCall is a totally different director of Rugby, he can and does have a major influence on the coaching side, humph although interfering did not have such a role, does no one see that!
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Sorry, I should have clarified: I am presuming that Anscombe is leaving?

And we would be recruiting a DOR in the more 'conventional' sense - Cockerill at Leicester for example, where they are in charge of both recruitment and tactics, with their own subordinate coaching team.

Would Paddy not be a little too close to some of the current players?
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I am seeing Paddy Wallace as a good bet.

If we get Clarke... Lord help us!

Get shot of Anscombe. Would Small come back?

I'm deeply worried about how the academy is being handled. I make no apologies for supporting the vision and work Glocks and DC do with underage schools players. I worry their ideas are being torpedoed by what I personally view as a weapons grade tool above them.

I think we need a bit of a management yard.sale and give the players a leadership who ain't bitching empire building and looking after themselves. Logie needs to earn his corn here and put UR first.
Last edited by Cornerfleg on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

The biggest problem is not just getting someone who has Ulster Rugby at heart and who can persuade good players to come and keep good indigenous players on board, rather the issue is being able to deal effectively with the IRFU. It's fine having someone ruthless to cut deals etc. but unless they can work within the strictures of the IRFU then they will get nowhere no matter how good they are! Dr Dave was able to turn a trick or two by working with the IRFU and he garnered a lot of respect there. So ruthless and hard edged are certainly useful qualities but rugby diplomacy (the ability to negotiate with the suits) is essential!
Hope is not a strategy.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

We don't need a DOR.....it was a job that was created by the man for the man. What we need is a quality coach who can coach without interference. Maybe a reason why we haven't been able to recruit such a coach is because UR was Humps version of what suited his own agenda.

Now he has improved his CV with UR he has moved on to improve it even further... God he must be jealous of MCCALL. My understanding is that Glaws are changing their format of DOR to suit Humps version of it with a hands on coach to look after the team.

Time to get the best coach we can get. Two jobs can become one saving a few pounds into the bargain plus a few may have to justify their own coaching abilities now.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Simple Simon
Novice

Post by Simple Simon »

O'Shea would do a great job. Would we be able to get him? Route back to IRFU for him