Any word on the Academy?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Horse15
Novice

Re: Any word on the Academy?

Post by Horse15 »

UlsterNo9 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:09 am
Horse15 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:31 am :fleg:
UlsterNo9 wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:04 am
Horse15 wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 3:05 am

Spoke to one of the ulster guys pre game who was embarrassed to be involved in this game. Standard of the play was poor from Munster. Have never seen such a dire Munster pack, which we steam rolled. Our backline went from side to side with no penetration. Munster mistakes were capitalised on. There 10 and 12 despite having a famous father were shocking. Malone played well, McNamara was good, McKee used the poor floodlights well and pack in general were too strong for a very very poor Munster side.
Said Ulster guy needs to catch a grip, and remove himself from the system, he's the one embarrassing himself if this is true. I very much doubt it is true though. In all my years involved with Ulster I've heard and seen bad attitude yes, but someone say embarrassed to represent their province, really?

Sounds like utter tripe.
Nobody said anybody was embarrassed to represent their province. Stand back and think about a couple of things; the number of kids that are taking their own decision to drop out of the UR system; Why were school kids asked to play in this game? You had some players who have played A/ senior level rugby asked to play with school kids or others they will not have heard off; Were Malone and Macnamara just brought in because we couldn’t get numbers.

Well
Spoke to one of the ulster guys pre game who was embarrassed to be involved in this game.

would equate to embarrassed to represent their province, whether thats in a management, kit man, playing role etc makes no difference. Why would you not ask talented school boys to play, an opportunity to accelerate their growth, an insight into how those within the current system behave and prepare. See my previous comment above on Malone, all players develop at different rates it would be stupid not to keep a tag on a player who has the potential to make it as a pro.
Would equate to :lol:

The school kids were asked as last resort - fact.

Of course players develop at different rates and let’s hope Malone is one to come through. Though don’t believe he’s a regular starter at L’boro.
ljsulster
Novice

Post by ljsulster »

So our last resort school kids and uni bench warmers are still 30 points better than Munster- Futures bright
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

Malone, McNamara and McNamee were brought in due to a lack of numbers available. Munster were obviously a lot more thrown together than Ulster were.

Malone started all of last year for Loughborough predominantly at 15 and has started at ten this year bar the last two games. I would be surprised if he makes it as a pro now although Niall Armstrong managed it coming through Exeter Uni and the BUCs league.
Horse15
Novice

Post by Horse15 »

ljsulster wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:00 pm So our last resort school kids and uni bench warmers are still 30 points better than Munster- Futures bright
Genius! And that along with our recent success in age grade rugby assures us of trophies, excellent, all is good >yahoo
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Horse15 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:38 pm
ljsulster wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:00 pm So our last resort school kids and uni bench warmers are still 30 points better than Munster- Futures bright
Genius! And that along with our recent success in age grade rugby assures us of trophies, excellent, all is good >yahoo
You’ve been complaining more on the forum about this match, than any underage match during pre-season.
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

What other development players would you have started over those who did play?
Horse15
Novice

Post by Horse15 »

UlsterAreBrill wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:00 pm What other development players would you have started over those who did play?
Genuinely wonder why not more AIL players are involved in these games (from outside of QUB). From the dev games earlier in the season there were quite a few and I thought we would have seen more.
Bigfacthunt
Novice

Post by Bigfacthunt »

Like when you play on tour or against a touring team. You just don’t know the level. You would have thought the provinces agree the level of teams playing each other, provincial development teams certainly cover a broad base😆😆 Connacht ambushed Ulster at Hinch earlier this year. Perhaps provincial squads will enter AIL as stand alone teams. The Scottish system tried that this year. Look at the results…..
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Horse15 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:21 pm
UlsterAreBrill wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 4:00 pm What other development players would you have started over those who did play?
Genuinely wonder why not more AIL players are involved in these games (from outside of QUB). From the dev games earlier in the season there were quite a few and I thought we would have seen more.
Bradley McNamara - Stones
Ben McFarlane, Rory Ellerby - QUB
Johnny Scott - Ban
Rory Telfer - QUB
Reece Malone
Conor McKee - Hinch

Jack Boal, Henry Walker - QUB
Cameron Doak - Armagh
Mark Lee - ROB
Adam McNamee
Reuben Crothers - Hinch
Josh Stevens (C) - QUB
Adam Montgomery - ROB

As far as i’m concerned the only one i’m 100% isn’t playing AIL is Malone. That seems a fairly good spread if you ask me. It makes sense that a lot of them are at QUB given they have their new rugby academy now.
DodgyEverything
Novice

Post by DodgyEverything »

Head Coach Richie Murphy has today named a 31-man Ireland U20s squad, sponsored by PwC, for the upcoming 2024 U20 Six Nations, including five players who were involved in last year’s Grand Slam-winning campaign and second place finish at the World Rugby U20 Championship.

Forwards (17):

Alex Usanov (Clontarf FC/Leinster)
Ben Howard (Terenure College RFC/Leinster)
Danny Sheahan (Cork Constitution FC/Munster)
Henry Walker (Queen’s University RFC/Ulster)
Stephen Smyth (Old Wesley RFC/Leinster)
Patreece Bell (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby)
Jacob Boyd (Queen’s University RFC/Ulster)
Andrew Sparrow (UCD RFC/Leinster)
Joe Hopes (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
Billy Corrigan (Old Wesley RFC/Leinster)
Evan O’Connell (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)(captain)
Alan Spicer (UCD RFC/Leinster)
Bryn Ward (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
Sean Edogbo (UCC RFC/Munster)
Josh Stevens (Queen’s University RFC/Ulster)
Brian Gleeson (Garryowen FC/Munster)
Luke Murphy (Shannon RFC/Munster)

Backs (14):

Oliver Coffey (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)
Tadhg Brophy (Naas RFC/Leinster)
Will Wootton (Sale Sharks/IQ Rugby)
Jake O’Riordan (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster)
Jack Murphy (Clontarf FC/Leinster)
Sean Naughton (Galway Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
Hugo McLaughlin (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
Ethan Graham (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
Hugh Gavin (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)
Rory Ellerby (Queen’s University RFC/Ulster)
Wilhelm de Klerk (UCD RFC/Leinster)
Finn Treacy (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)
Stephen Kiely (Shannon RFC/Munster)
Ben O’Connor (UCC RFC/Munster)
Tap+Go
Novice

Post by Tap+Go »

Ward & Ellerby surely likely to get Academy places this year then.

Kenny I’m assuming would have been involved only for his injury. McKillop & Brigg long term injuries also.

Solomon, Longstaff, Lee & Montgomery missing out? Thought when selected for the recent Irish combined academies games v the Italians Lee would have got the call. 5 of the 17 forwards named are U19, including Walker.
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

Tap+Go wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:15 pm Ward & Ellerby surely likely to get Academy places this year then.

Kenny I’m assuming would have been involved only for his injury. McKillop & Brigg long term injuries also.

Solomon, Longstaff, Lee & Montgomery missing out? Thought when selected for the recent Irish combined academies games v the Italians Lee would have got the call. 5 of the 17 forwards named are U19, including Walker.
Ward is sub academy, not sure about Ellerby. Mentioned before but missing his final year at school wasn’t good timing but I imagine he will get sub academy at the least if he isn’t there already

Solomon can barely get an AIL game with Bann however seems highly rated, i’m not convinced though. Longstaff and Lee both sub academy and still U19 afaik so could get there next year
ljsulster
Novice

Post by ljsulster »

UlsterAreBrill wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:35 pm
Tap+Go wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:15 pm Ward & Ellerby surely likely to get Academy places this year then.

Ward is sub academy, not sure about Ellerby. Mentioned before but missing his final year at school wasn’t good timing but I imagine he will get sub academy at the least if he isn’t there already

Solomon can barely get an AIL game with Bann however seems highly rated, i’m not convinced though. Longstaff and Lee both sub academy and still U19 afaik so could get there next year
Ward and Ellerby both NTS and will get academy
Longstaff and Lee both u20
Longstaff rubbish
Solomon rubbish
Lee bang average
Montgomery nothing more than an average schoolboy- how he’s in the system I’ll never know
UlsterAreBrill
Initiate

Post by UlsterAreBrill »

ljsulster wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:42 am
UlsterAreBrill wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:35 pm

Ward and Ellerby both NTS and will get academy
Longstaff and Lee both u20
Longstaff rubbish
Solomon rubbish
Lee bang average
Montgomery nothing more than an average schoolboy- how he’s in the system I’ll never know
As far as I know Longstaff played in the back row up until fairly recently so in his defence hasn’t been playing prop for that long at all. Saying that I thought Boyd totally outclassed him in the schools cup final last year.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Saturday 8:10pm KO UK Time - BBC iPlayer & Website / Virgin Media Two

Ireland U20s v France:

15. Ben O’Connor (UCC RFC/Munster)
14. Finn Treacy (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)
13. Wilhelm de Klerk (UCD RFC/Leinster)
12. Hugh Gavin (Galwegians RFC/Connacht)
11. Hugo McLaughlin (Lansdowne FC/Leinster)
10. Jack Murphy (Clontarf FC/Leinster)
9. Oliver Coffey (Blackrock College RFC/Leinster)

1. Alex Usanov (Clontarf FC/Leinster)
2. Danny Sheahan (Cork Constitution FC/Munster)
3. Andrew Sparrow (UCD RFC/Leinster)
4. Alan Spicer (UCD RFC/Leinster)
5. Evan O’Connell (UL Bohemian RFC/Munster) (capt)
6. Joe Hopes (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
7. Bryn Ward (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster)
8. Brian Gleeson (Garryowen FC/Munster)

Replacements:

16. Henry Walker (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
17. Ben Howard (Terenure College RFC/Leinster)
18. Jacob Boyd (Queen’s University Belfast RFC/Ulster)
19. Billy Corrigan (Old Wesley RFC/Leinster)
20. Luke Murphy (Shannon RFC/Munster)
21. Tadhg Brophy (Naas RFC/Leinster)
22. Sean Naughton (Galway Corinthians RFC/Connacht)
23. Ethan Graham (Ballynahinch RFC/Ulster).