Doaky AND Les in 2015

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Mac
Chancellor to the King

Doaky AND Les in 2015

Post by Mac »

Ulster set to name Neil Doak as head coach GERRY T
Former scrumhalf set to land lead role with province on full-time basis
Ulster look likely to name their former scrumhalf Neil Doak as head coach on a full-time basis
Neil Doak has emerged as the strong favourite to succeed Mark Anscombe as Ulster head coach, with the province expected to make an announcement in the next week or two.

While Les Kiss has been operating as the interim director of rugby following David Humphreys’s departure to Gloucester, the well-regarded Doak has been working as the de facto head coach in pre-season, and then last week’s 32-all draw away to Scarlets as well as last night’s win at home to Zebre in the Guinness Pro12.

Management structure

Following the unexpected departure of Humphreys last May and Ulster’s decision to dispense with Anscombe, the IRFU had effectively loaned Kiss, the Irish defence coach, to Ulster as a means of giving the Ulster management some structure.

Kiss is scheduled to remain in situ until October 13th, after the opening six rounds of the Pro12 and before the opening two rounds of the European Rugby Champions Cup.

Hence, Ulster are not in any great rush to make long-term decisions. Nonetheless, the increasing likelihood is that Ulster chief executive Shane Logan will make Doak’s status long-term. Kiss was partly brought in due to Doak’s delayed return for pre-season following his involvement with the Emerging Ireland squad in Georgia.

The 42-year-old, Lisburn-born former Ulster scrumhalf played 76 games for the province before retiring from representative rugby in April 2005, and also played cricket for Ireland 32 times, as a right-handed middle order batsman and offspin bowler.

Selected on the bench against Fiji in 1995, and one of three scrumhalves at the 2003 World Cup, Doak never made it onto the pitch and was thus prevented from becoming Ireland’s first dual rugby and cricket international since Raymond Hunter in the 1960s.

A keen student of the game, Doak wasted little time in assembling his coaching badges and having worked as the Ulster under-19 coach and under-20 assistant coach, he has long since been seen as a key creative force in Ulster’s attacking game as a backs and skills coach.

Doak was also backs’ coach on Ireland’s North American tour of 2013 alongside Kiss and Anthony Foley, and indeed it is rumoured that Foley’s admiration of Doak is such that he sounded him out about the possibility of working with him in Munster.

Entering his 10th season in the coaching game, Doak now appears primed for the role of Ulster head coach, and speaking at the Guinness Pro12 launch in London a couple of weeks ago, he pointedly didn’t rule himself out of contention.

“Obviously I am in the business of trying to challenge myself and I obviously have designs to become a head coach. It might be at Ulster, it might be elsewhere.”

Having perhaps staved off interest from Munster in the close-season, Ulster would be loath to see the latter come to pass, so highly thought of is Doak by the players and rest of the management.

Similarly, the departed Humphreys held Allen Clarke in equally high esteem and it is believed that the latter came even closer to leaving Ulster by following Humphreys to Gloucester during the summer.

New structure

A former Ulster and Ireland hooker, Clarke has previously served as an assistant coach at Ulster to Mark McCall, as the IRFU high performance manager and Ulster’s elite Performance Manager, before doubling up as their forwards coach in mid-August. There seems sure to be a role for Clarke in the new structure, with Jonathan Bell also remaining as defence coach.

It could be that Clarke is being considered for the director of rugby role vacated by Humphreys, although there have been no indications as to who is in line for this position.

There is no obvious replacement from within for Humphreys, much less a similarly qualified one given his 20-year association with Ulster as their most capped player ever whose recruitment drive as director of rugby did so much to transform the province. But Doak is now the most obvious candidate to become head coach.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/p ... -1.1927422
Last edited by Mac on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:11 am, edited 8 times in total.
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: It's Doaky .........Probably

Post by Jackie Brown »

Hope not
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

Hope so
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Probably is

............. Gerry T is not usually the sort to stick his neck out
without something to substantiate what he says. Particularly a full piece
and not just some passing comment contained within an article.

Also came across an Indo article earlier where Kiss himself confirms the
date of his departure. This piece has now been pulled.

........and back up later revamped....
According to Ulster there are no candidates yet in place for either position; it is likely that the current trio of local coaches, Neil Doak, Jonny Bell and Allan Clarke, will take over the helm in the interim.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/g ... 83786.html
Image Image
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

So the budget allocated for the global search for a new head coach sprung for a translink bus pass. I'm not sure how I feel about this potential bombshell.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Will do my best to support and stand up for Doaky. If this is true.

I even thought that Clarkey was ahead if him in the pecking order for head coach?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

If it's Doak I will cut of my left testical and fed it to the nearest mallard at Riverside Park
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

If it is to be Doaky, why would Kiss have been here for the last couple of months? It makes no sense to me. As to whether or not it would be a good appointment, I don't know.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Kofi Annan wrote:If it's Doak I will cut of my left testical and fed it to the nearest mallard at Riverside Park
Hope not as well Kofi even if its for the reason that my parents live at riverside park.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Snipe Watson wrote:If it is to be Doaky, why would Kiss have been here for the last couple of months? It makes no sense to me. As to whether or not it would be a good appointment, I don't know.

Babysitting.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

mid ulster maestro wrote:So the budget allocated for the global search for a new head coach sprung for a translink bus pass. I'm not sure how I feel about this potential bombshell.

Didn't even need the translink bus pass as they just found them already at work, wonder how Clarke will take being Doakies assistant !
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

bazzaj wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:If it's Doak I will cut of my left testical and fed it to the nearest mallard at Riverside Park
Hope not as well Kofi even if its for the reason that my parents live at riverside park.
So they can feed testicles to ducks :scratch:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Only makes sense if they trawled the southern hemi and got nothing. Which hardly signifies major confidence in Doak either.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Perhaps a one year contract to take them past the RWC. More overseas coaches available then if Doaky's tenure is not working out.
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Smacks of holding station until the market opens up or until someone
in particular becomes available after RWC.

Did hear that JS wanted Les back in camp sooner rather than later.
IRFU may be forcing our hand to have the position filled by the time
this occurs.
Image Image