McCloskey ahead of Olding - explanation please?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Ulsterscall
Novice

McCloskey ahead of Olding - explanation please?

Post by Ulsterscall »

I am not for a moment saying that McCloskey does not look like a fine young talent with all the amo to make (to use football parlance) a top top player, but I think Olding is currently a cut above again and looked like Irelands number 12 in waiting. What has happened that he is now warming the bench, I'm sure I am missing something but can't for the life of me work out what it is?! Also, apart from the obvious fact that they both prefer 12, could these two play together in the centres with McCloskey in the Nonu role??
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Re: McCloskey ahead of Olding - explanation please?

Post by jackthelad »

Ulsterscall wrote:I am not for a moment saying that McCloskey does not look like a fine young talent with all the amo to make (to use football parlance) a top top player, but I think Olding is currently a cut above again and looked like Irelands number 12 in waiting. What has happened that he is now warming the bench, I'm sure I am missing something but can't for the life of me work out what it is?! Also, apart from the obvious fact that they both prefer 12, could these two play together in the centres with McCloskey in the Nonu role??
..and Payne in the No No role..... >flog
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Ulsterscall wrote:I am not for a moment saying that McCloskey does not look like a fine young talent with all the amo to make (to use football parlance) a top top player, but I think Olding is currently a cut above again and looked like Irelands number 12 in waiting. What has happened that he is now warming the bench, I'm sure I am missing something but can't for the life of me work out what it is?! Also, apart from the obvious fact that they both prefer 12, could these two play together in the centres with McCloskey in the Nonu role??
There is a strong possibility that with two of main ball carriers out in Hendo and big Dan, McCloskey has been brought in for his physical prescence and for someone else to threaten the line.
Note McCloskey was jettisoned straight in after Tuohys injury.
Case in point against Edinburgh he was the only one of our players that threatened the gain line until Williams arrived.

Williams is currently the one forward who can give us go forward which the oppo will know and prepare for.
With McC in the centre it gives them something else to think about and something Olding doesnt offer as much for all his other talents.
So at the minute its a horses for courses selection in my view, rather than someone saying that Olding is not as good as McCloskey.

I agree Olding could play 13 but 12 is just where I see him and the analogy would be the way England used Tindalls physicality or Mike Catts footballing ability at 12, depending on the circumstances required.
As a partnership McCloskey and Olding would be worth at least a look if either isn`t selected for the AIs as they could well click.
You never know unless you try and we might as well as they have looked at every single other possible one going!
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

I suppose with Tuilagi and Basteraud coming up you can make an argument for McCloskey who has done well but Olding is a cut above and having him on the bench seems a total waste of resources. Then again nothing surprises me about the centre selection process at the minute. We seem determind to deliberately handicap ourselves in midfield for some reason.

I suppose it could also just be that Olding is being managed back after a very serious injury. He has 12 plus years agead of him after all. He is an exceptional talent and maybe the medics don't want to risk his potential by rushing him too intensely. In the meantime McCloskey is doing a fine job.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Very simple as Olding is our back-up 10 today and a big strong lump not scared to tackle forwards is required in the center to make up for iHumph and also Payne on each side of him
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

In a textbook scenario, I'd certainly have Olding ahead of McCloskey at the minute. However, springing Olding and his footwork from the bench for the last 20 may prove decisive tonight.
It's the hope that kills you.
chris d
Novice

Post by chris d »

Olding's game time is being carefully managed due to his knee. No point putting his career under threat when we've got such a healthy amount of centers to chose from, and Payne.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Roll on the AI s.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Castlereagh
Novice

Post by Castlereagh »

Rooster wrote:Very simple as Olding is our back-up 10 today and a big strong lump not scared to tackle forwards is required in the center to make up for iHumph and also Payne on each side of him
Thats the correct reason :fleg:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Castlereagh wrote:
Rooster wrote:Very simple as Olding is our back-up 10 today and a big strong lump not scared to tackle forwards is required in the center to make up for iHumph and also Payne on each side of him
Thats the correct reason :fleg:
Not only that but if I was picking next weeks team I would have McCloskey and Cave in the center, narrow pitch and boshfest the points will come from the boot and forwards with a slight chance of a break by wing or Payne if he is fullback.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Will Paddy be back for the Soup Cup?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Think so.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Phew... I really dont want to bad mouth big stu, in fact I hope he continues to progress, but I must say I'm at real loss to see the logic in not playing our best 13 and imho a real change of direction with Olding as a 2nd 5/8 as the kiwis play i . It may sound inflated or biased but for me olding is the most gifted back Ireland have seen since BOD . And yes pine surfing .....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Post by Setanta »

Could be a rotational thing - Olding and Cave; McCloskey and Payne. Don't say I agree with it if that is the thinking but it is possible.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
MattMo
Initiate

Post by MattMo »

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we lost Olding by the end of the year, he's being given no time in the same position, and with the current centre farce, I'd say at least 3 of them would be considering a move to France unless big changes come.
Payne to play 13 for Leinster or 15 for Ulster