Roger Wilson signs new two-year contract with Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Roger Wilson signs new two-year contract with Ulster

Post by Rooster »

Roger Wilson has signed a new two-year contract with Ulster Rugby that will see him remain at Kingspan Stadium until the summer of 2017.

The 33 year-old, who can play anywhere in the back-row, has represented Ulster 165 times.

A former pupil of RBAI, he made his debut for Ulster in 2003 against Ospreys and his outstanding form saw him named Ulster Player of the Year in 2004/5 and 2006/7.

In 2008 he moved to the English Premiership where he made 117 appearances for Northampton Saints, winning the European Challenge Cup and LV=Cup.

He won his only Ireland cap in 2005 against Japan and has represented Ireland A on 11 occasions. This summer he played for the Barbarians in their match against England and was selected in a World XV that took on South Africa in Cape Town.

Commenting on his new contract, Wilson said:

”Ulster Rugby is a great place to be right now so I am pleased to have signed a new two year contract with the province.

“Physically, I feel that I am as fit and well as I have ever been and I am looking forward to making a big contribution over the next two years.”

Ulster Rugby’s Team Manager, Bryn Cunningham added:

“Roger is one of the most consistent and hard-working members of our squad. The fact that he has made 165 appearances for Ulster as well as having played more than 100 times for Northampton Saints illustrates his value to the teams he has represented and his considerable durability.

“His experience of the game is invaluable, especially as we seek to bring through the next generation of players in Ulster and I am delighted that he has committed to the province for a further two seasons.”
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
lovesthehardground
Steward

Re: Roger Wilson signs new two-year contract with Ulster

Post by lovesthehardground »

Mixed emotions on this one to be honest. A bit surprised that at 33 RW has got a two year deal. His performances have been fading this year and he probably doesn't have a full 80 minutes in him on a weekly basis.

However, he is by far the best No.8 we have at the minute. Very steady and reliable and doesn't take up a NIQ space. He will therefore provide a constant option in the backrow when others are away on Ireland duty.

Overall a positive signing provided we also sign a world class 6/8 and a 7. If we get two top rate backrows RW fits in nicely. If we don't then I don't believe RW can continue to be our first choice No.8 week in week out.
LTHG
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Probably a year more than I would have expected, but I suppose we don't know the T&Cs so let's not quibble.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Quite right Snipe

I'd guess a one year deal offer wouldn't have been enough to keep him. Other clubs I'm sure would have offered him a two year thus more job security.

In two years time he IMHO would still be of a higher standard than our current back row back up options mccommish, butterworth et al.

Speaks a lot of sense in the dressing room I am reliably informed also.
Last edited by UlsterNo9 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

I think this is good news. I know we all wish he was 27 again but we need as many decent back rowers as we can get and certainly can't afford to be losing anyone who is IQ at present. Obviously he can't be playing every week when he is 35, but here's hoping he can help mentor some of the Academy players who keep being mentioned (Joyce, Dow, Taggart, Atkinson) into useful regulars in the long-term.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

No qualms with it. Solid, honest pro who will be good to have around the squad. His powers will be diminishing but we shouldn't be looking 80 minutes in every game from him. He's also in good physical shape, unlike Williams for example, so won't need the minutes to keep the pounds off either should it come to that.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Fairly obvious move.. need to start developing a replacement for him, hopefully that player is in the academy in either Dow or Taggart. Wilson will more than likely retire after this extension as he will be nearly 36 at the end of it.

By then Taggart will be 22 and will hopefully ready to step up, along with Dow who will be either 21/22 at the end of the 2017 season. Dow is more likely to replace him at 8 while Taggart could potentially be cover at 6 and 7, with his long term position being possibly 7.

Joyce looks pretty unlikely to make it at Ulster given the lack of opportunity he has gotten to date for the senior team but i am reticent to write him off completely at this stage.

The biggest problem right now with the backrow is Nick Williams and cover at 7.
TheSnapper
Novice

Post by TheSnapper »

When is McComish out of contract
Available for weddings May to August only
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

TheSnapper wrote:When is McComish out of contract
Sadly not 10 years ago
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

TheSnapper wrote:When is McComish out of contract
this year IIRC.
Kanbei
Novice

Post by Kanbei »

Yes he may not be playing at his best this season but he is still the best 8 we have so can't complain about this at all.
Bayern
Steward

Post by Bayern »

Interestingly in June 2017 all three of Diack, Henry and Wilson are out of contract.
Wilson will be 35, Henry will be 32 and Diack 31.
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

Really happy that ROG has signed on and it's a good deal for him. Not sure about Taggart, Dow or Joyce.... Hope they are good enough, just not sure.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Sad thing is we will probably still need him playing 80 mins in a year and in two years. Glad he's signed, but need more to make a headline
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Spot on Colin... If he was the back up standard I'd be delighted he's staying, you know what tour getting with Roger. sadly can't see him being the bench option.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"