Six Nations Week 3

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Six Nations Week 3

Post by Shan »

fuzzylogic wrote: Nothing left to lose now.
Unfortunately that is not true. There's still matches to lose and the IRFU will want to do all it can to avoid that. In this case "all it can" relates to ensuring we play a low risk game to try to deny the English backs getting any decent ball. Lots of gowlacting in the mud and lots of kicks for territory will be the order of the day. We more than likely won't run the ball at any time except maybe when we are within 10m of the English tryline.....if we manage to get that close.
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

bazzaj wrote:Totally agree Shan.
The last thing you want to do is pick Gilroy to chase kicks and defend tight.
It would be like putting tractor tyres on a Ferrari.

I see the ultimate chink in their armour is if they go same again in their back row.
We can look to beat them at the breakdown as they are a bit cumbersome to say the least.
Win the breakdown and you always have a chance.
That's a fair point Bazza. We could get the upper hand there. Need Heaslip to pull out one of his top performances. He is the world class in our back row at his best and he is needed to do it and ensure his backrow colleagues are with him.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Even Anthony Joseph Patrick Ward, as some of my Garryowen friends like to call him, is calling out the IRFU for dictating the way the Ireland Team is set up.

"But I do think that he (Schmidt) is under pressure from the IRFU, in terms of money going forward, which is the way the game operates now, that’s the reality.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2016/0220 ... o-england/
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote:6 Nations?.....don't care.
Hope that's clear enough.
Well feck away off from the thread so ya auld whinging árse. :D

Don't care about an England v Ireland game. Shur for feck sake even if it was the worst game ever we should be crazy with passion in the face of the Saxon foe.

>TM >TM
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Shan wrote:

Don't care about an England v Ireland game. Shur for feck sake even if it was the worst game ever we should be crazy with passion in the face of the Saxon foe.

>TM >TM
Aye.

After a couple of years competing for 6N titles, we're back to As long as we bate the English ... :lol:

To be fair, it would do me.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:
Shan wrote:

>TM >TM
Aye.

After a couple of years competing for 6N titles, we're back to As long as we bate the English ... :lol:

To be fair, it would do me.
No, no, no, no, no Mervyn. The honourable member for An Clár want's his team to win. They will be the home team for this fixture,,,,,,,,,,,,,in white..............
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Snipe Watson wrote: No, no, no, no, no Mervyn. The honourable member for An Clár want's his team to win. They will be the home team for this fixture,,,,,,,,,,,,,in white..............

Ah here now.

What I will however say is that if England do beat us I hope they do the slam. Best team in it despite some weaknesses.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

fuzzylogic wrote:I've had a change of heart about this upcoming week. After that French match it was all doom and gloom... but now, might we just see something different, while we still just about have a mathematical chance to win the championship it will take a miracle.

Will Joe try something new? New combinations? New blood?

Nothing left to lose now.
You mean nothing other than his job? He wants results, no change ........well not exactly, minimal change and nothing remotely interesting would be my bet.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shan wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Totally agree Shan.
The last thing you want to do is pick Gilroy to chase kicks and defend tight.
It would be like putting tractor tyres on a Ferrari.

I see the ultimate chink in their armour is if they go same again in their back row.
We can look to beat them at the breakdown as they are a bit cumbersome to say the least.
Win the breakdown and you always have a chance.
That's a fair point Bazza. We could get the upper hand there. Need Heaslip to pull out one of his top performances. He is the world class in our back row at his best and he is needed to do it and ensure his backrow colleagues are with him.
Bullshit guys, if it was simply backrow upon backrow, it might be a contest but their front five will prosper so their backrow almost certainly will too. What you wouldn't give for Hendo & POM n this fight, never mind Stevie, then Heaslip wouldn't have one arm behind his back fighting against the tide like a latter day King Canute

After France I was thinking this could be a massacre, I suspect MexicanJose will select a team not to be humped rather than thinking "these guys might win it".

My guess is that Jose will be planning to avoid humiliation then give Scotland and Italy a right kicking, the IRFU won't be too unhappy with 2 wins a draw & too small defeats, and finally, the RC rankings are decided this year, the ranking is God to the IRFU, no rash selections, you won't see McCloskey until Italy if at all, neither will you see the best 15 in Ireland at 15, he'll be the guy pretending to be a centre.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Shan wrote:

>TM >TM
Why is that?
England are a modern nation like everyone else
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Totally fair point from Baggy but think what Shan amd I are gettimg at is that its an area which is our only hope of getting joy..
Take it as a given that if your front 5 are getting crushed that you have no hope no matter
If England go same pack again as v Italy there may be small hope of parity till they bring their strongest pack on.
Basically our best hope will be their stupidity.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:Totally fair point from Baggy but think what Shan amd I are gettimg at is that its an area which is our only hope of getting joy..
Take it as a given that if your front 5 are getting crushed that you have no hope no matter
If England go same pack again as v Italy there may be small hope of parity till they bring their strongest pack on.
Basically our best hope will be their stupidity.
I know what you are getting at Jizzbeg, I just don't see your one area of hope coming to fruition for even there we are not at our strongest & I expect that Heaslip in particular will fight the good fight but it will be a bit like Custer or the Alamo, likely to be overwhelmed eventually. Heaslip, damn his black Mexican heart, is some boy just the same, a hell of a competitor. Stander won;t lack for effort but thereafter if it's Tommy he's a bit underpowered when the front 5 are likely to be done over to some extent.

My feeling is we will be limiting the damage all afternoon & it feels like the old knife to a gunfight scenario with so many injuries. Just don't see it happening, great if they make it a match, I fear possible humiliation though England have looked far from wonderful.

I do agree that England might keep us in it, they don't appear blessed with clever players.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Russ wrote: Why is that?
Back to sleep Russ. Snipe has it covered above.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

To win the break down Ireland have to win the ball and go wide quickly .

With lard A!! Vinadloo doing a five metre shuffle the English don't need a pacy back row just as long as the opposition are going backwards .

Personally I expect the game to be close provided England are denied an early 10 point lead

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Shan wrote:
Russ wrote: Why is that?
Back to sleep Russ. Snipe has it covered above.
I thought you were intimating at the bigotry taught to Irish by their elders

Remember no child is born racist, sexist, xenophobic, bigoted etc.