Referees

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Referees

Post by Snipe Watson »

Interesting interview with Wayne Barnes on how professional RFU referees under Tony Spreadbury review their performances and mistakes.
The group brutally critique each other's performances and refs are required to explain their thinking process for any decisions they got wrong. the interview showed footage from the referees in group meetings where they had to explain themselves to the group. It looked brutal to be honest. JP Doyle was going through a penalty he had wrongly awarded basically frame by frame explaining who he thought was doing what, why he thought it was illegal and why he got it wrong. There was no room to hide.

There is also clear feedback given to clubs, who also get to have their opinion heard.
Indiana
Novice

Re: Referees

Post by Indiana »

There needs to be a system whereby consistent failings can be openly challenged by club officials and the referees can be subject to penalty for failing to achieve set standards. Without proper systems it becomes little more than a closed club with referees judging fellow referees. I know as fans we often like to think that some refs are biased against us but that is often just our perceptions. What we are consistently seeing is referees especially in the pro 12 making poor rulings which destroy close games for all the teams.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Does Ian Davies appear at this panel?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:Does Ian Davies appear at this panel?
Is Ian Davies a RFU referee?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Russ wrote:Does Ian Davies appear at this panel?
Is Ian Davies a RFU referee?
I didn't see that bit

So Nigel gets away with his bs too
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Indiana wrote:There needs to be a system whereby consistent failings can be openly challenged by club officials and the referees can be subject to penalty for failing to achieve set standards. Without proper systems it becomes little more than a closed club with referees judging fellow referees. I know as fans we often like to think that some refs are biased against us but that is often just our perceptions. What we are consistently seeing is referees especially in the pro 12 making poor rulings which destroy close games for all the teams.
The clubs submit a report and receive a report clarifying decisions made. This is the RFU system, I have no idea what the Pro12 refs do. There does seem to be a high level of accountability.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Saw Barnes on rugby tonight via twitter, interesting video about the scoring of a try, double movement etc.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Neill_M wrote:Saw Barnes on rugby tonight via twitter, interesting video about the scoring of a try, double movement etc.
I didn't know that you can flyhack a ball forward with your non kicking foot in touch as long as the ball hasn't crossed the plane of the touch line. You can also touch a ball down for a try while you are off the field as long as you aren't in possession and only apply downward pressure.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Snipe Watson wrote: You can also touch a ball down for a try while you are off the field as long as you aren't in possession and only apply downward pressure.
Would you be offside if you were off the field when the ball was kicked forward?
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

big mervyn wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: You can also touch a ball down for a try while you are off the field as long as you aren't in possession and only apply downward pressure.
Would you be offside if you were off the field when the ball was kicked forward?
probably, assuming you were ahead of the ball.
My other question is this: If I were kicking a penalty in a gale and the ball missed the posts so badly or ricochets off the post and goes into touch do is it still our ball at the lineout?

I hereby advise that I was a bad enough kicker for this to happen.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Neill_M wrote:Saw Barnes on rugby tonight via twitter, interesting video about the scoring of a try, double movement etc.
I didn't know that you can flyhack a ball forward with your non kicking foot in touch as long as the ball hasn't crossed the plane of the touch line. You can also touch a ball down for a try while you are off the field as long as you aren't in possession and only apply downward pressure.
I'd put money on it that not many officials know that, I'm certain I've seen it done and called a lineout where you kick it.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
My other question is this: If I were kicking a penalty in a gale and the ball missed the posts so badly or ricochets off the post and goes into touch do is it still our ball at the lineout?

Further to my previous reply on another thread .....I do believe you on this one. :thumleft:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

Further to my previous reply on another thread .....I do believe you on this one. :thumleft:
Why I'm not your Granny......... :lol: :lol:

Do you know the answer to the question?
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:Why I'm not your Granny......... :lol: :lol:
Because, apparently .... allegedly, ..... supposedly, my Granny might at some stage have advised me to believe half of what I read on these forums ....
Snipe Watson wrote:Do you know the answer to the question?
Yes
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

So Cockatrice is your Granny?