Suicide and the internet ...............very odd.

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Suicide and the internet ...............very odd.

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Before I start, I hope this does not upset anyone, I am not being flippant, I want information.

I had a couple of hours sleep this afternoon but that apart I haven't slept since Friday morning. Many things have been keeping me entertained whilst awake, amongst others has been the thought of suicide.

I decided to check it out, see what he prospects are ........other than the obvious, and what I found is horrendous, I'll explain. I searched for how do you go about suicide relatively painlessly when you just can't be arsed living and have all your faculties about you, are not obviously depressed, of soundish mind and not terminally ill?

I checked Dignitas, read their full 18 page PDF and to my horror they will only assist people who have a terminal illness. What might I ask about those people for whom there is no longer any genuine pleasure in life, have the intelligence to see it's only going to get more challenging and just don't want it? It appears that if you are dying they will help but if you don't want to live you can go and get fecked.

At least Dignitas have the good grace not to whinge & moralise and tell you not to be silly and pull yourself together, almost every site I clicked on basically feel they have a duty to try to talk one out of such notions. Ignorant ballixes choking up the search engines when they have no intentions to help you, just to stop you from achieving your aim.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a genuinely helpful site? Now I mean a genuinely informative site, I don't want some forum with weirdos in leather trousers who will bump you off for a fee or moonhowlers having a wee fantasy. Dear reader, I have not decided to end it all just yet, but I wish to be informed properly on the pros & cons of various methods.

In my darker moments I have often looked at large trucks and thought, one turn of the wheel & it's good night Vienna, the major issues being that there is no guarantee of success, indeed you could male your existence more intolerable, & most importantly the incredibly selfish & monstrously impertinent inconvenience for the driver of said truck. So on the basis of good manners, I have ruled that out.

I do take a serious number of tablets daily for various ailments, war wounds etc and I could conceivably use those, anyone know if they provide a straightforward exit if taken in bulk? Any idea of timescale?

I do not wish to hang myself or step in front of a train, nor jump from a high building or any such violent end. Any useful advice greatly received.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Suicide and the internet ...............very odd.

Post by big mervyn »

I'm not sure that Dignitas will only assist the terminally ill Baggy, although I believe the bar is set high for non terminal cases.

Criteria from their website:

•a disease which will lead to death (terminal illness), and/or
•an unendurable incapacitating disability, and/or
•unbearable and uncontrollable pain.

In some cases they will also assist patients with mental illnesses although this is even more problematic.

I'm a supporter of Dignity in Dying. No appetite for it in Stormont I'm afraid, although things may be slightly more promising in Scotland.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

big mervyn wrote:I'm not sure that Dignitas will only assist the terminally ill Baggy, although I believe the bar is set high for non terminal cases.

Criteria from their website:

•a disease which will lead to death (terminal illness), and/or
•an unendurable incapacitating disability, and/or
•unbearable and uncontrollable pain.

In some cases they will also assist patients with mental illnesses although this is even more problematic.

I'm a supporter of Dignity in Dying. No appetite for it in Stormont I'm afraid, although things may be slightly more promising in Scotland.
In a way Stormont doesn't matter. It is not unheard of for terminally ill patients in their final hours to be given a little too much morphine to ease their passing. In a similar way to in the event of a delayed miscarriage drugs are administered to speed things along. If only precious life knew...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Baggy, I'm going to go ahead and say I'm not overly upset that such information is hard to come by, on the internet, or elsewhere.

And also, at the very least, for as long as you can type on a keyboard and post here, your contribution to the world is significant.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Jackie Brown wrote: In a way Stormont doesn't matter. It is not unheard of for terminally ill patients in their final hours to be given a little too much morphine to ease their passing.
It matters if you want to go at a time of your own choosing. Evidence from Oregan suggests that having such a choice has little or no real impact on suicide rates but the freedom to choose often helps patients to deal with their circumstances on a day to day basis.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

is the move to Spain cancelled
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Kofi Annan wrote:is the move to Spain cancelled
Not yet, fecked if I want to die here.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ElmoIsDead
Novice

Post by ElmoIsDead »

Baggy, you won't recognize me from this forum but I've added the very odd post etc. I generally come in here to get the news about our beloved Ulster before the media gets it. This post you've put up has forced me into a reply.
I can't say I know how you're feeling as each and every person's personal experience of these things is very personal and different. I can however say that I've had thoughts of ending things on a weekly basis over the last 20 odd years. To cut a long story short I suffer from chronic pain daily, severe headaches, anxiety, insomnia....the list goes on. The people who tell you to 'pull yourself together' are as ignorant to what's actually needed as the GP's who'll offer numerous pharmaceuticals. It's impossible to pull yourself from a dark place when everything that put you there is in your face every day. I was, like yourself on so many pills I swear I rattled like a tube of smarties when I walked.

Before I completely bore you I just want you to know that for me life now is so different it's like someone turned on a light in a darkened room. My life has been changed, I no longer take any medication at all and I hope my visits to medical professionals are over. The thing that made the difference, a small amount of cannabis of an evening at which point my awful neuralgic pain evaporated. My sleep came easily. My anxiety flew the nest. The fact that I was getting fairly normal sleep meant my mood and perspective on life has transformed.

I know this isn't the answer for everyone and the illegality of it turns some away but I have only tried this since last November due to the advice from an associate. It is amazing and there are legal alternatives if the illegality is a worry but I really would urge for you to give it a try.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Ahh Ballix Elmo! At the start of that 2nd para, I really thought you were going to tell Baggy you'd "found" God :lol:
Big Neville Southall
ElmoIsDead
Novice

Post by ElmoIsDead »

big mervyn wrote:Ahh Ballix Elmo! At the start of that 2nd para, I really thought you were going to tell Baggy you'd "found" God :lol:
:lol:

I tell you what Merv, if I could find god I'd kick him in the balls and ask him what the feck he's at :lol:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

OneMore wrote:Baggy, I'm going to go ahead and say I'm not overly upset that such information is hard to come by, on the internet, or elsewhere.

And also, at the very least, for as long as you can type on a keyboard and post here, your contribution to the world is significant.
Yin I'll accept that as well intended, but tell you also that I am not feeling worthless, not feeling my family would be better of without me, I'm not in substantial pain though I am having "issues" with both shoulders and I've just been told they may get to me in May 2017 but the list is getting longer. I am in as sound a mind now as I have been for the last 30 years and though depression is a regular partner, I'm no more depressed now than any time in the last 5 years.

Neither am I about to top myself, I just had a very long sleepless weekend and was pondering life's challenges in the wee dark hours. I simply want to understand and investigate options for I'm fecked if I will end up a drooling basket case in my dotage. I do fear that my memory loss may herald something. I was a scout in my yute - be prepared.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ElmoIsDead wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Ahh Ballix Elmo! At the start of that 2nd para, I really thought you were going to tell Baggy you'd "found" God :lol:
:lol:

I tell you what Merv, if I could find god I'd kick him in the balls and ask him what the feck he's at :lol:
Have to say I had that fear myself Merv but Elmo came through like a trooper. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for that Elmo, sounds fairly similar barring the chronic pain, with me it's not terribly bad but on this "round" of it, a nagging thing I have had for 13 weeks after a year more or less free of it, so I certainly don't have something intolerable, I do however wish to arm myself with knowledge against a time when it may significantly deteriorate. For now it's just a bloody constant drag.

My sister-in-law who has MS is fond of cannabis, usually in scones or cakes, she can't smoke it. Have to say that my son suggested it some time ago. Naively, I've no idea how to procure some. :oops:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

How rude of me, I should have added, thanks Elmo, I hope you keep your current good health. :thumleft:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

It's always good to talk
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
OneMore wrote:Baggy, I'm going to go ahead and say I'm not overly upset that such information is hard to come by, on the internet, or elsewhere.

Yin I'll accept that as well intended, but tell you also that I am not feeling worthless, not feeling my family would be better of without me, I'm not in substantial pain though I am having "issues" with both shoulders and I've just been told they may get to me in May 2017 but the list is getting longer. I am in as sound a mind now as I have been for the last 30 years and though depression is a regular partner, I'm no more depressed now than any time in the last 5 years.

Neither am I about to top myself, I just had a very long sleepless weekend and was pondering life's challenges in the wee dark hours. I simply want to understand and investigate options for I'm fecked if I will end up a drooling basket case in my dotage. I do fear that my memory loss may herald something. I was a scout in my yute - be prepared.
Sorry, yeah, that sounded bollócks. Be prepared, aye grand. I'm just okay with it being difficult for vulnerable people to make the ultimate decision, without the obvious due care and thought you'd put into it.