Olympics 2016 (Non torch stuff)

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Re: Olympics 2016 (Non torch stuff)

Post by big mervyn »

bazzaj wrote:Quote from the Great Britain womens hockey captain who said that the legacy of their win was to inspire women to become 'a teacher,hockey player a care taker or a lawyer, set your sights high and go for them'.
10 years from now we hopefully will see a boost in female caretakers inspired by the 2016 British womens hockey team.
We can only dream.

There is evidence to suggest that ploughing all the money into elite athletes, as Team GBrexit have done in the last 20 years, has stifled broader participation at grass roots level.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote:
bazzaj wrote:Quote from the Great Britain womens hockey captain who said that the legacy of their win was to inspire women to become 'a teacher,hockey player a care taker or a lawyer, set your sights high and go for them'.
10 years from now we hopefully will see a boost in female caretakers inspired by the 2016 British womens hockey team.
We can only dream.

There is evidence to suggest that ploughing all the money into elite athletes, as Team GBrexit have done in the last 20 years, has stifled broader participation at grass roots level.
We'll not hold our breath for increased participation in sport.The much vaunted 'Olympic effect' hasn't produced any significant increase in participation. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/blo ... dle-boasts
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
We can only dream.

We'll not hold our breath for increased participation in sport.The much vaunted 'Olympic effect' hasn't produced any significant increase in participation. https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/blo ... dle-boasts
Read in the BelTel this morning that the GB elite track cycling team has 64 full time support staff. That's some investment for what is still, in many respects, a minority sport.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

big mervyn wrote:
solidarity wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
We can only dream.

Read in the BelTel this morning that the GB elite track cycling team has 64 full time support staff. That's some investment for what is still, in many respects, a minority sport.
The total number of track cyclists would be a very interesting stat, probably very few actually.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Rooster wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
solidarity wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
We can only dream.

The total number of track cyclists would be a very interesting stat, probably very few actually.
Maybe it's a brilliant tactic to reduce unemployment by having maybe half a dozen support staff for every participant.

It seems that participation in athletics and cycling are growing while participation in football and swimming are declining significantly. Can't find any stats for rugby.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Olympics 2016 (Non torch stuff)

Post by rumncoke »

Cycling has always been a technological advantage sport my grandfathers brother was a road racer of note with many successes down to the fact he was using the early Dunlop tyres in an age of solid rubber ones .

It hasn't changed .

Most of the back room boys are designers etc looking for the helmet or suit etc which will take a half second off the time which is the difference between Gold and bronze .

The problem then is the opposition copy the improvements so you never cease looking for technology advantage .

Any sport which uses equipment is similar canoeing, rowing sailing etc

That doesn't mean that those in those who win don't have to good of course they do but the innovations can provide the difference between first and fourth which is very little difference in time .

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Wonder if Holywoodmike was watching the woman's triathlon the bike bit was like synchronised TWERKING as the camera followed them up hill ?

To hell with Cheerleaders

Synchronised Twerking is the future

big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

rumncoke wrote:Wonder if Holywoodmike was watching the woman's triathlon the bike bit was like synchronised TWERKING as the camera followed them up hill ?

To hell with Cheerleaders

Synchronised Twerking is the future

He's probably w*nked himself to death by now :lol:

Wonder if he caught the identical Estonian triplets in the weemins marathon?
Big Neville Southall
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Saw that South African bloke win the womens 800 followed by the female winge record being smashed by Paula Radcliffe in summary.
Brilliant stuff from Paula a women who wants complete transparency in athletics for doping despite refusing to release her own blood samples for scrutiny.

Ironically old Casters is possibly one of the few athletes running non drug assisted.
She should be championed.

On a lighter note also saw the sycophantic Tom Daley doing his best John Smith impression in flopping his way to last place in the semi finals.
Best bombing display since Dresden.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Been quite a success for the LGBT community ... well, the L community mainly. All that girl on girl action must have ruined the weemins hockey and rugby union fleg waving ceremonies for the DUP. :lol:
Big Neville Southall
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Rooster wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
solidarity wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
We can only dream.

In 2012, excited and inspired by Chris Hoy I established the BANGOR TRACK CYCLING CLUB. Membership continues to rise, there are three of us involved and we meet once a month in a phone box. Our discussions centre on whether we should hold a fleg day to raise the few quid to build the velodrome or whether I should sell my signed photograph of Ralph Coates looking like the poor man's Bobby Charlton and three very well seasoned "champion" conkers on EBay or maybe both if Ralphie doesn't raise the required millions.

I have to say the pink and black clad Lycra louts of NDCC have been as much use as t1ts on a boar, no help whatsoever, indeed they describe Cuthbert, Derek and I as three ould dreamers........and worse. Meanwhile instead of helping raise the Bangor Velodrome they continue their successful efforts to bring traffic in Bangor down to the speed of the slowest cyclists, the glypes, up down.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
In 2012, excited and inspired by Chris Hoy I established the BANGOR TRACK CYCLING CLUB. Membership continues to rise, there are three of us involved and we meet once a month in a phone box. Our discussions centre on whether we should hold a fleg day to raise the few quid to build the velodrome or whether I should sell my signed photograph of Ralph Coates looking like the poor man's Bobby Charlton and three very well seasoned "champion" conkers on EBay or maybe both if Ralphie doesn't raise the required millions.

I have to say the pink and black clad Lycra louts of NDCC have been as much use as t1ts on a boar, no help whatsoever, indeed they describe Cuthbert, Derek and I as three ould dreamers........and worse. Meanwhile instead of helping raise the Bangor Velodrome they continue their successful efforts to bring traffic in Bangor down to the speed of the slowest cyclists, the glypes, up down.
http://theulsterfry.com/local-news/bang ... al-awards/
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The guy forgot to mention it has two yacht clubs . One is for people with big yachts because they are bigger ass???es with a bigger overdraft than ego

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

rumncoke wrote:The guy forgot to mention it has two yacht clubs . One is for people with big yachts because they are bigger ass???es with a bigger overdraft than ego

But Hillsborough doesn't need a yacht club. The residents have their private lake.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

I see Bangor hockey leg end Stephen Martin has had his collar felt now.

Those boys surely deserve some credit for offloading tickets in Rio. given that every stadium seemed to be half empty.
Big Neville Southall