Best Destination you've ever been to?

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

caledoniancelt
Initiate

Re: Best Destination you've ever been to?

Post by caledoniancelt »

Road trip to Utah and Arizona. Highlights were Moab in Utah, Monument Valley
which straddles Utah/Arizona border and Sedona in Arizona.
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Get an Inter-rail ticket for the month and, as suggested earlier, do a leisurely tour of Europe. Let the train take the strain.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
justinr73
Lord Chancellor

Post by justinr73 »

I've rarely been on holiday to somewhere abroad that i haven't liked. The key is largely in the planning (although you need to leave some room for a bit of craic) who you go with and how much you drink.

There are places such Eindhoven, Gothenburg or Bratislava perhaps when one night is probably enough.

Unless you're in the likes of Las Vegas, where you can do pretty much anything you want when you want, I reckon it's important to ensure there's something specific going on that you want to be at, particularly if you're staying for any length of time.

So, Munich for the Beer Festival, Cape Town and St Lucia for the cricket, Barcelona/Madrid for the footy etc all work.

Lisbon is a great place but it was enhanced by me happening to have tickets to see Morrissey and Benfica there. Similarly, so is Ljubljana when you go to see REM and stay in the same hotel as them.

Nashville and Memphis are good if you're into your music and going anywhere to watch Ulster is always fun!

Vilnius and Budapest are two of my favourites, I had a great laugh in Aarhus although it's a bit of a dump, whilst i have fond memories of a Swede in a karoake bar in Tallinn and a naked stunner in the hotel sauna in Bremen.

The world is your lobster....
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

justinr73 wrote:...and going anywhere to watch Ulster is always fun!

You had me convinced you knew what you were talking about for a while there.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tighty wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote:
Tighty wrote:Hire RV (motor-home) and drive from Calgary to Vancouver staying in the various National Parks on the way. Take ferry to Vancouver Island , stay in Victoria and go Whale watching.
Montreal . Quebec City and the Maritime Provinces of Canada are also great destinations but not sure of the weather in September.

Bon Voyage
100% Vancouver and BC every time. Weather hot in August, mild in Autumn. Whistler, Victoria, the lot. Bard on the Beach, Salmon fishing, Orca's and eagles that lift those horrible toy dogs. :thumleft: Kayak up Indian arm, mountain bike past bears, get a seaplane from Whistler straight into downtown Vancouver. Amazing food and dozens of microbreweries. Great exchange rate. Going back this year for third time
Maybe a bit childish... but the firework displays on Saturday nights during July and August in Butchart Gardens (Vancouver Island) are brilliant.
I'd say they are better than the 4th July celebrations in Monument Valley. :lol: Stayed one 4th in Gouldings Lodge and the fireworks consisted of th'ee squibs & a racket, to which no one paid a blind bit of notice, but at least the redskins couldn't be accused of ignoring Independence Day. >EW

Have to say, having to cart your own drink intil the Navajo Nation is a bit of a bind, but leaving your curtains open all night and waking up at 5.30 to the sunrise over the Utah Monuments was well worth it.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Anyone suggested a North West Road Trip round the US?
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Surprized no-one has mentioned Africa yet. Some places are dead easy to get to and enjoy, others are not for the faint hearted. The days when you could drive overland from the UK are probably gone but who knows? The eastern side is probably best for mid-range adventure, not least because English is reasonably widely spoken. My favourite spot is the Aberdare Country Club, with the Samburu Country Club and River Lodge not far behind.

Worst place to visit - a toss up between Dubai and Tokyo.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Those two are not even on my "aye maybe if I'm stuck" list Solids.

I have no intention of Africa either mind you. Though I've always fancied a safari,though world is too dangerous a place for me, so I'm not going where death by insect snake or carnivore is no worse than 50/50 & as for Saffer land why dies Ruan not want to go back? Colossal murder rate.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

Never been but one of those learn how to sail courses in somewhere like Croatia or Greece sounds good to me.
A bit of activity combined with sea, sun and good food.
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

justinr73 wrote:I've rarely been on holiday to somewhere abroad that i haven't liked. The key is largely in the planning (although you need to leave some room for a bit of craic) who you go with and how much you drink.

There are places such Eindhoven, Gothenburg or Bratislava perhaps when one night is probably enough.

Unless you're in the likes of Las Vegas, where you can do pretty much anything you want when you want, I reckon it's important to ensure there's something specific going on that you want to be at, particularly if you're staying for any length of time.

So, Munich for the Beer Festival, Cape Town and St Lucia for the cricket, Barcelona/Madrid for the footy etc all work.

Lisbon is a great place but it was enhanced by me happening to have tickets to see Morrissey and Benfica there. Similarly, so is Ljubljana when you go to see REM and stay in the same hotel as them.

Nashville and Memphis are good if you're into your music and going anywhere to watch Ulster is always fun!

Vilnius and Budapest are two of my favourites, I had a great laugh in Aarhus although it's a bit of a dump, whilst i have fond memories of a Swede in a karoake bar in Tallinn and a naked stunner in the hotel sauna in Bremen.

The world is your lobster....
BARCELONA AT ANYTIME IS GREAT. WENDY BALL IS A SIDE SHOW :thumleft:
Exterminate all rational thought
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Russ wrote:Anyone suggested a North West Road Trip round the US?
Why? Strabane and Londonderry are shyteholes...
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Tighty wrote:
CIMANFOREVER wrote:
Tighty wrote:Hire RV (motor-home) and drive from Calgary to Vancouver staying in the various National Parks on the way. Take ferry to Vancouver Island , stay in Victoria and go Whale watching.
Montreal . Quebec City and the Maritime Provinces of Canada are also great destinations but not sure of the weather in September.

Bon Voyage
100% Vancouver and BC every time. Weather hot in August, mild in Autumn. Whistler, Victoria, the lot. Bard on the Beach, Salmon fishing, Orca's and eagles that lift those horrible toy dogs. :thumleft: Kayak up Indian arm, mountain bike past bears, get a seaplane from Whistler straight into downtown Vancouver. Amazing food and dozens of microbreweries. Great exchange rate. Going back this year for third time
Maybe a bit childish... but the firework displays on Saturday nights during July and August in Butchart Gardens (Vancouver Island) are brilliant.
Strangely never been to Not America in high summer, only late August and September/ Faawwwlll, when things cool down pleasantly. Every thing falls off the trees in about a week!
Toronto in September is still molten at around 34 degrees fs.
Love Canada in totality. St Johns was nice, even though I was only there for a flight transfer lol
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

WeeWorld wrote:Never been but one of those learn how to sail courses in somewhere like Croatia or Greece sounds good to me.
Croatia would be my choice of those 2
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
WeeWorld
Initiate

Post by WeeWorld »

Rooster wrote:
WeeWorld wrote:Never been but one of those learn how to sail courses in somewhere like Croatia or Greece sounds good to me.
Croatia would be my choice of those 2
Me too probably
Yes, that's me in the avatar!
Tender
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by Tender »

Each to their own, but the the vast majority of Africa smells of shyte. You can replicate that at Millisle when the tide is out.
Support the Team, not the regime
Guinness is Good For You.