Big World of Rugby

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Re: Big World of Rugby

Post by Neill_M »

volvo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 8:15 pm Anybody see this?
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/i ... 3277&ei=77
Baloucoune came from 7s to the Ulster set up so not a surprise.
jean valjean
Chancellor to the King

Post by jean valjean »

So is bobbie B definitely going? The article isn't definitive just that he is open to the idea. Does he need to stop playing 15s now in order to compete for a spot?
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

jean valjean wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:28 pm So is bobbie B definitely going? The article isn't definitive just that he is open to the idea. Does he need to stop playing 15s now in order to compete for a spot?
Don't think anything definite yet, guessing Dupont will make his French 7s debut in Vancouver next weekend as TNT Sports are listed as showing it. Normally the main broadcasters don't bother with it outside of Olympics etc and it is usually just on RugbyPass TV.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

He should focus on the real rugby instead of this nonsense.

Nobody gives a sh$t about 7s.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Neill_M wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:26 pm
jean valjean wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:28 pm So is bobbie B definitely going? The article isn't definitive just that he is open to the idea. Does he need to stop playing 15s now in order to compete for a spot?
Don't think anything definite yet, guessing Dupont will make his French 7s debut in Vancouver next weekend as TNT Sports are listed as showing it. Normally the main broadcasters don't bother with it outside of Olympics etc and it is usually just on RugbyPass TV.
I get the feeling that Bobby is actually more suited to sevens. More space, speed's more important and he's been to the top in sevens before.

TBH, if he's not got what it takes for 15s, let him go for Olympic glory.
volvo
Novice

Post by volvo »

Uk Telegraph not BELTEL have done a survey on the best 30 sportspeople in different sports they done football etc and now just done rugby.
Criteria was that participants had to be actively playing in teams in the UK (ROI not included)
Steven Kitshoff named at number 19 and Hendy named at 23 :fleg: :D
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

Another essay on brain injuries, this time in women's rugby: https://theconversation.com/womens-rugb ... 20equality
I'm still ambivalent about the issue although, having a friend who was a fine Irish League footballer, and is now well down the demetia road, I can't help but wonder.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

solidarity wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:53 pm Another essay on brain injuries, this time in women's rugby: https://theconversation.com/womens-rugb ... 20equality
I'm still ambivalent about the issue although, having a friend who was a fine Irish League footballer, and is now well down the demetia road, I can't help but wonder.
There's a BMJ study that indicates that 11.4% of former rugby internationals contracted a neurodegenerative disease compared with 5.4% of the general population.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
solidarity
Chancellor to the King

Post by solidarity »

big mervyn wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:48 pm
solidarity wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:53 pm Another essay on brain injuries, this time in women's rugby: https://theconversation.com/womens-rugb ... 20equality
There's a BMJ study that indicates that 11.4% of former rugby internationals contracted a neurodegenerative disease compared with 5.4% of the general population.
Must look that up. Looks pretty damning at first sight.